Deltek Vision Logo

Deltek Vision

Project management tool for professional services managers.

Deltek Vision Reviews

4.1

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend7.59/10

Reviews by rating

I particularly like the ability to schedule your work and availability -- this is great for work sharing with different offices/teams.
Online customer care is a lifesaver. I love being able to log on and get answers quickly without having to get on the phone.
In that respect it is superb, and I am just learning how it can be used for many other things. Their customer support is very good, and I have enjoyed working with Deltek.
Horrible Horrible Horrible - that is why we are searching for another software. I do not recommend - at least not for accounting purposes.
It is very cumbersome and if you don't have other firms using the software, many times you are stuck for answers. We also think it is VERY costly.
Some of the features are quite difficult to understand and are locked for use. Spelling errors are not noticed or redlined when filling in the timesheet.

Victoria S.

Project Manager

Deltek Vision Review: Huge help for our firm

Transcript

Victoria S.: Hi, my name is Victoria. I'm an architecture and graphic design project manager. We have...

Construction, 501-1,000 employees

Deltek is very good to use!

it is a very good tool and something there can be some learning curve.

Pros

Deltek is very flexible in terms of building timesheet with different projects and hours. The smallest hour unit I know is 0.5 which is very good! It allows me to report a more real time spend.

Cons

Sometimes it is hard to find a certain project if I only know half of the name and not the beginning.

Architecture & Planning, 1-10 employees

A workhorse with a lot more features than I ever use

I sometimes consider Deltek a necessary evil, but it is as good a software as I have seen and used.

Pros

Deltek has been the tracking software of choice and previous firms I worked at. To me it is the standard for tracking time spent on projects and for tracking project performance. The ability to track an analyze multiple employees' input is beneficial. As a project manager, my interface was tracking and project planning. Accounting and management used Deltek extensively to track project and firm performance.

Cons

Deltek can do a lot of things, and can easily get very confusing for staff who may not have extensive software training in its functionality.

JS

Jeff S.

Architecture & Planning, 201-500 employees

Could be a lot more user-friendly

The following is my opinion and I am not speaking on behalf of my company as most of my years with Deltek were before I joined Rockwell: I have used Deltek for over 12 years and my experiences vary by the module. Newer modules such as project planning or online T&E are notorious for being excessively buggy. For many years my company avoided project planning based on reputation alone. The latest...

Pros

Reliable for accounting and basic functions

Cons

Not user-friendly and requires a consultant to get into more complex areas unless you have someone on staff that has sufficient experience.

Civil Engineering, 501-1,000 employees

Efficient Software

Pros

Very flexible piece of software that is simple to use and can be configured to be impactful in an array of situations. You do not need to be a programmer to learn how to set it up. The software is very responsive and it is seamless between time and billing.

Cons

The software is only available on Explorer. I find it difficult to somethings find out what information I need out of it. I have also had issues with the saving function, which results in lost work, time and sometimes having to completely start over. Would like to see the copy and paste functionality be improved.

Architecture & Planning, 51-200 employees

Deltek Vision works when you need it too.

I inherited a pretty customized Vision, which was not reliable. Once stripped back to bone stock, the application never has issues it seems.

Pros

Their in house support is excellent. They understand the importance of their software running efficiently for customers to have success.

Cons

What I like least is that we have to go through a reseller to renew each year instead of direct.

Civil Engineering, 201-500 employees

It works, but isn't a great user experience.

It feels like software from the mid 2000s. It works, but is clunky and unpleasant. I find myself going through many unnecessary clicks to accomplish common tasks. E.g. When entering a comment for a task e, i need to type it, click in a separate comment box to ensure it's saved, and then only can I navigate away. I don't think they would be in business long if they launched today without their existing legacy user base.

Pros

It accomplishes the task it sets out to do. It logs time.

Cons

It has an outdated user interface, and the navigation is not well thought through.

Robust, a bit clunky

Pros

There are so many tweaks and options in this software - it can do a wide range of functions from balance sheet accounting, payroll, and project accounting

Cons

The interface is a bit dated and cluttered. There are a lot of options I wish I could hide

Telecommunications, 10,001+ employees

ALL-IN-ONE, WEB BASED PROJECT MANAGEMENT

Pros

Our team used Deltek Vision to manage time and expenses, demand forecasting, data visualization, resource allocation and others. It is broad in a sense that it has so much application and it offers far more widely than just time and expense management. Deltek Vision allowed our team to work simultaneously through this product. Our documentation of our resources is easier with Deltek Vision.

Cons

Deltek Vision is best used by someone with experience regarding the software. It is a little complex for beginners. Our team learned how to use it to increase productivity.

Oil & Energy, 1,001-5,000 employees

Time Sheet

Easily grasped concepts to charge time and expenses for projects and clients.

Pros

Deltek Vision makes tracking and charging time easy and plane to see. User interface is seamless and very organized.

Cons

Can be overwhelming at first as its a very straight forward presentation of an interface, but quickly understandable.

Liz A.

Architecture & Planning, 51-200 employees

A dinosaur of a program, but does what it's built to do.

This is good at collecting data, and relatively easy to use.

Pros

I do like that this program is super customizable, has a ton of functionality, and comes with basically it's own help team. Pretty easy to use once you get used to it.

Cons

There is so much going on, it's hard to figure out it's capabilities. The filtering on it is super specific and sometimes makes it hard to navigate.

SM

Susan M.

Used Vision's General Ledger primarily in my role to produce month end and year end financial stmts.

Pros

The general ledger was easy and logical for an accountant. The work breakdown structure allowed for reporting consolidated reports as well as subsidiary level, office level, and departmental reports. Vision handled large amounts of transactions and data efficiently. Vision offers functionality to do time sheets and expense reports remotely. Vision has great security features that can remove access to certain areas or information based on an employees role in the Company. It is easy to remove rights immediately when employees leave the Company. In addition, roles can control who can make changes or post transactions. Vision allows for automated reporting. For example, an Accounts Receivable report can be automatically sent to an employee's email on a scheduled basis.

Cons

The software is not logical for non-accountants. The software is primarily for A'E firms but very difficult for those users. Most of the engineers are unable to write and run project reports. When they do get a report, the report isn't easily understood. The software is difficult to support internally and requires a database specialist to get maximum value. Vision contains a massive amount of data but the canned reports do not always offer the different types of data in same report. Unless you can write custom reports, you will have to pay expensive consulting fees.

DH

Debra H.

Architecture & Planning, 1,001-5,000 employees

Searching for data results in quick results, good report generation feature, easy to edit.

Information about each project such as who is the PM, lead architect, lead accountant, project location, legacy data, status, etc. is essential to our business. We can easily search for all current projects in any city, state, province, country. Our PMs use this to keep track of payments, invoices, employees assigned to the project, budget data, and documents stored on our servers can be linked from within a record. We can view other projects for the vendor or client.

Pros

It allows me to have three databases open. In my case, Projects, Employees and Timesheets. It's great to toggle between them without having to log out and in again. Data retrieval is quick. It allows me to search for very specific information so my results don't overwhelm. Data access is controlled at the user level so people cannot edit fields without proper permission. Before Vision, we used a database that contained project numbers that were preserved in the Vision database. So if we need to look up project data based on the old number, we are able to. This saves us a lot of time.

Cons

It is difficult to learn this software on your own beyond searching. There are so many features that allow us to look at the data in several ways. Most of those ways are unknown to me so training is required. I would suggest that companies provide proper training before implementing it firmwide to avoid frustration.

JJ

Jun J.

Architecture & Planning, 11-50 employees

Powerful yet not so user friendly.

Not so user friendly, too much steps to get one voucher in. Entering description is not so easy and flexible, keep getting too much error message.

Pros

Biggest help is that It has WIP feature where we can keep track or our work in progress without outsourcing to vendors. It offers full accounting functions.

Cons

In the reports, info are not easily accessible with clicking the items you want to see. VIsual weakness where it does not disclose all info in the window and cannot adjust borders left or right to fully expose all info...always need to use left and right scroll to enter or see the whole line.. voucher and invoice number too short, can't fit long numbers, All the modules are not available...can't tell if other modules that we don't have licenses are useful to us or we need it if we don't know how it works or what it can do,,,,it doesn't give trial period like quickbooks or peachtree where we can test it for short period. Reports are too much options but doesn't have options that allows us to see more clearly. Visual really too messy...would like to see simpler and clear reports.

CB

Chelsee B.

Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 11-50 employees

Deltek Review from a billing standpoint

Deltek Vision is mainly well suited for project managers to view project data in one place and also for billing purposes. It allows you to view a project as whole or drill down and see a certain time frame. Deltek Vision could be updated to be more HR inclusive. Right now we can only use it for time and expense and also payroll.

Pros

The time sheet and expense entering are very detailed and users can log time from iAccess if they are out of the office as well as upload to receipts straight into vision. It works great as a billing system. it's pretty straight forward and being able to run batches or also single invoices depending on your need is helpful. It has a wide variety of reporting and you can also customize report to drill down and pull the info you need.

Cons

It can be difficult for new users and somewhat overwhelming. You need to be familiar with customizing reports to be able to get what you want. The default reports don't usually provide what information is needed. I really hate that we still have to use internet explorer to access vision.

SW

Stephanie W.

Architecture & Planning, 51-200 employees

Deltek Vision has everything an A&E firm needs to run its daily business. From project planning on.

Pros

Everything that you need is in one software program. You can plan a new project, see which employees are available to sssign tasks to, and run payroll all with out leaving the software. Reports, including custom reporting, is quick and as easy as selecting what you want the report to show and hitting preview. From there you can print or save as either a PDF or as an excel spreadsheet which makes the reports even more versatile. With the addition of iAccess it's helping the 'away-from-the-office' employees be able to check time sheets and project info from anywhere.

Cons

The learning curve for implementing features not previously used is a little steep. There's not a lot of "free" tutorials for setting up features to begin with, although you can find quite a bit of information about using features once you have them set up correctly.

DY

Diana Y.

1,001-5,000 employees

Great product, customizable and great support

Centralized Project based accounting and reporting.

Pros

The customer support at Deltek is great, they are always available to help you out with questions you may have wither technically or application use. Vision is also customizable, they have a talented staff that is able to help customize the software to your business's needs. Standard out of box features are easy to use and the company is always looking for input from customers to improve it's use.

Cons

It get a little bit more on the cumbersome side to use if your a larger company, although I feel like this might in part be due to our customization of the software as well. As mentioned in my Pros, Deltek's support staff is always helpful in any situation so with their help we can usually work through any issues that occur.

CB

Chelsee B.

Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 11-50 employees

Deltek Vision

We use vision for billing, invoicing is made simpler and PMs have an easier time managing their projects. iAccess greatly helps PM's get a quick snapshot of their projects on a daily basis - which means more efficiency.

Pros

Time and expense management as well as reporting and being able to drill down for PMs on certain aspects of their projects. The reporting functions well, and the batch billing is excellent for running large amounts of invoices at one time.

Cons

I don't like that it only runs on internet explorer - it's a bit outdated. I also wish that it was more HR inclusive. It would be great if you could run unposted labor reports that included the billing rates which is a minor inconvenience. Also if you could run an unposted unit report as well that would greatly benefit the PMs.

GB

Ginger B.

Civil Engineering, 1-10 employees

Monopoly

We've been doing business with Deltek now for around 20 years. If another software company develops a competitive product with full project basis accounting at a reasonable price, we'd probably switch, if they have a good customer service team. Nothing beats the ability to just pick up the phone and call.

Pros

deltek allows us to track our time and expenses on a project basis. We can achieve time tracking, billing, and General Ledger activities within one software.

Cons

Deltek Vision is built for large organizations. It is cumbersome in a small office setting to maintain all of the text libraries. The customer service requires that you submit a case online if you need assistance, and then wait for a response, which oftentimes is not timely.

MP

Meredith P.

Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 501-1,000 employees

Useful Data Organization and Management Tool

While Vision is a somewhat older-looking software it functions more logically and is much better organized than its newer version (Vantagepoint). There are some clunky workflows but with training and daily use, they are easily overcome. The product itself really helps to keep things organized and provides options for reporting that can be shared system-wide.

Pros

I like that data is laid out in a logical way and certain custom development seems to be integrated with fewer issues than other software programs. Also, you can search across different hubs to ensure your results are specifically tailored to your needs.

Cons

I don't like how certain workflows open windows that restrict your ability to access the information behind them.

MR

Marie R.

Great tool for project management and proposal preparation

Pros

I've used this software for at least 3 years now, it's great for many things like project management and proposal preparation. It allows you to store and organize so much info per each project you might be working on. In my case, we use it for architectural and engineering projects. We use it daily.

Cons

The platform is a bit outdated looking, but the software does its job which is organizing info. One of the main cons I would see is the creation of duplicates, this is a great issue when doing proposal preparation. Some people have read-only permissions but other who can edit often create duplicates, so a little maintenance needs to be done here and there.

JC

Jarred C.

Rigid, Dated Software

I'd recommend looking for software that meets your needs and that can integrate with other software. There are so many features that could really make this a great product, but the company won't invest what it takes to make this better for their clients.

Pros

Single-piece of software to handle project-based accounting. Timesheets, expense reports, general ledger and everything else is in one place.

Cons

Reporting is difficult, even using out-of-box reports. The accounting functionality is clunky, and it's not state-of-the-art software in any of the areas that it handles. Implementation is expensive, and it's difficult to get the information needed to run your firm.

EP

Eric P.

Management Consulting, 201-500 employees

I wish Deltek was more intuitive to use

I have not attempted to use Deltek for anything other than submitting my regular time sheet. I am aware that there are other uses which could potentially add value for a business.

Pros

I use this project to keep track of my time sheet on a bi-weekly basis. I like that Deltek allows for comments to be entered under for each day so I can easily communicate to my supervisor all of the work that I did during the pay period.

Cons

There was a bit of a learning curve in regards to launching the application on my PC. It was not as intuitive as I had hoped it would be. I also sometimes experience difficulty when attempting to save the time sheet data I have entered in. This happens most often after my computer has been left idle with the application still running in the background.

PV

Patrick V.

Civil Engineering, 11-50 employees

Inter-connectivity is a problem

Connecting CRM functions to MS Outlook is a continuous and long-term weakness (for over 10 years). Project planning connectivity to MS project is also very spotty - works sometimes, most of the time - it does not work. Reporting has always been a problem - not enough flexibility. Same for search capability - often fields are not available that are needed for proper selection of records. All of these issues have been raised many time via cases over the years - they never seem to get fixed.

Pros

It has powerful features - the connection between financial data and project planning is a real plus.

Cons

Lack of flexibility and inter-connectivity is a constant frustration.

ck

cecilia k.

My Vision experience

this begins our 4th year of Vision use after a conversion from QuickBooks. there is no other software I'm aware of that has the project reporting capabilities that Vision does; sometimes it's a little overwhelming. It would be nice if some of the "standard' reports would be created a little different to become another standard report. On the minus side, our Project Managers have complained that you have to put the same information in too many places; that it would be nice if the same info flowed into all the other of Vision.

Pros

everything is integrated: project, accounting, marketing, leads, conferences

Cons

different elements can be very, very technical

AM

Ashley M.

Civil Engineering, 1-10 employees

Professional Engineering Firm

Vision allows our firm to seamlessly track project progress and maintain our office system in a safe and convenient location. We have been able to reduce paper-waste by uploading invoices and A/P directly into Vision. User settings allow our employees quick access to items needed to complete their projects efficiently. We are definitely happy with Vision!

Pros

Everything is very direct - you don't waste time looking for the program you need or wondering which program to utilize.

Cons

Some of the features (ie - vacation accruals) are difficult to set without previous software programming experience.