eClinicalWorks Logo

Electronic medical records for the healthcare sector

eClinicalWorks Reviews - Page 3

WR

William R.

Terrible EMR

Terrible, terrible EMR. Don't buy it, I beg you. I'm taking early retirement from my group in large part because of this program.

Pros

I honestly like almost nothing about eCW. My practice switched from a fairly basic but very functional EMR (SRS Health) to eCW about a year ago. It has been an unmitigated disaster. The training was terrible, the support slow to respond generally and the user experience unbelievably frustrating. I've wasted so much time clicking around trying to complete the most basic tasks it makes me want to cry. If forced to pick a pro, I'd say...actually I can't think of anything. I hate it.

Cons

1. Illogical workflow. I could go on a long time about this but I don't have room. 2. The web version and desktop version are significantly different so if you go home to finish notes, which I have to do almost every night, you have to remember to do many tasks two different ways. Here's one frustrating difference. You can fax prescriptions from the desktop version but can not from the web version which means if I have a controlled substance to send in I have to wait until the next day when I get back to the office and can use the desktop version. 3. There are too many other cons to list. They are mostly numerous little things that slowly drive you mad. Morale at our office has been terrible since we changed to eCW.

gn

gina n.

Medical Practice, 1-10 employees

Poorly developed product, poor support, nothing good to say

NOTHING !!!!! RUN LIKE HELL AS FAST AS YOU CAN IN ANOTHER DIRECTION.

Pros

The idea of web visits. Although it took several weeks and several support members to get it working.

Cons

the program was so compartmentalized...each individual only knew about their part. One would spend weeks troubleshoot an error to find out that another had not turned on the feature. The system is too complicated for those that programmed their parts! I then after approximately one year decided to transition to a more user friendly emr...this process was just as problematic. They sent a disc that...

MK

Mike K.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

Avoid eClinical Works at ALL COSTS!!!

Horrible, as soon as I saw the entry screen which says "Building your user experience" I felt like I should punch myself in the face. I'll tell you how bad this EHR is- we switched from Soapware to this in 2018- it has been atrocious, I deferred the choice for a new EMR to my wife/office manager and biller- I have built up a very successful practice over the last 18 years, including building the 6,000SF structure myself- I would close my practice and go work some other job, giving up 18 years of hard work, if I had to continue using this EMR. WORDS CANNOT EXPRESS HOW AWFUL THIS EHR IS! If you hate your very existence on this earth then definitely use eCW for your EMR. I would rather be in prison. We are looking at others currently.

Pros

There are NONE! This is the absolute worst EMR I have seen, way too many button clicks to accomplish a most basic task, very difficult to use, awful set-up, will slow you down.

Cons

Everything! Medications don't esend reliably, templates awful, spell check worthless, 10 clicks instead of 2-3, and a vast number of useless buttons that cannot be removed.

BW

Brittney W.

Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees

Avoid This EMR at All Costs

Implementation was a disaster and we had to postpone it by 2 months because by the time we were supposed to go live, so much was still not set up correctly. A year later, the software works, but it is full of bugs that are driving away our patients. For the last 6 months our patients have been getting appointment reminders 10 times in a row, in the middle of the night, as well as patients getting reminders...

Pros

It would be very easy and customizable to use if everything actually worked correctly. There are a lot of helpful features, however 75% of the time they are riddled with bugs.

Cons

Support is awful. It takes months to have anything resolved. The software itself is riddled with bugs and there are many processes that were obviously not thought through.

MN

Mark N.

Beware

Terrible customer service. Outdated platform. Expensive. What's not to like? When I left I paid them $5000 to get my records to transfer into my new EMR. They sent me a hard drive with data in random arrangements and corrupted data. Nice.

Pros

Some of the features are nice, you can enter your consultants (but you have to do this manually). Has eprescribing but difficult to get lab interfaces or controlled eprescribing. Notes do look like notes and some of the templates for exams are easy to use.

Cons

Wow, where to start. This is a spaghetti programming system that is so screwed up it will never work correctly. Every time there is an update, multiple things stop working. If you have problems good luck getting someone who speaks understandable English or even someone to respond to your issue. You may get a response several days later at 9PM. The only people there who speak good English are the sales people (shocker). Until I went with a different EMR I didn't realize how many work arounds I had been putting in place.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

Terrible Experience

Horrible

Pros

Lots of features but sometimes less is more and it becomes cumbersome and time consuming.

Cons

Tech Support ALL out of India. They don't tell you this when you purchase. Tech support can't speak English well thus a terrible language barrier and EVERY phone call with them takes a minimum of 45 minutes due to this so you lose tons of time thus revenue. Tech Support Horrible and no one knows what the other one is doing or has done. Let me say that again, TECH SUPPORT HORRIBLE. Plus didn't seem...

CV

Crystal V.

Medical Practice, 1,001-5,000 employees

Functional basic EMR

Overall very functional EMR with a few small nuances.

Pros

Easy to navigate through the program. Relatively easy to order medications and eprescribe. There is a bit of a learning curve but is easy once you get the hang of the program.

Cons

The health care maintenance checks were lacking and left a lot of gaps for follow-ups. The E-prescribing was sometimes confusing when it came to choosing a location.

AT

Antoinette T.

Medical Practice, 1-10 employees

eClinical is best for large practices.

Pros

Full practice software for all aspects of managing a medical office and patient charting. Able to accommodate several practitioners and staff allowing for large volumes of files and database. Very straight forward practical application to use given all the functions available.

Cons

Many features were not used as it is not easily streamlined for a specialty practice. Tech support/service call response is immediate but actual support and repair was often deferred to a later time and was difficult to communicate with their staff, located overseas. Costs for eclinical is expensive.

Hi Antoinette- Thank you for your feedback on eClinicalWorks. I'd like the opportunity to chat with you more about customizing eCW for your specialty as that seems to be a challenge you're having with the software. We use eClinicalWorks to provide billing services for our customers and are the largest certified reseller in the nation. I'd be curious to speak with you more to see if we could help. Feel free to reach me at 800-769-5288 x2207.

LW

Lizanne W.

Medical Practice, 11-50 employees

TONS of features but poorly programmed.

7+ years using this software and it's been a battle all along. Then they create policies (such as, "You must be running on Windows 10 PRO - not the HOME version" THey use those policies to tell you it's not their problem when something gets screwed up (like their server being disconnected, or blocking you for security purposes ACCIDENTALLY!! They won't even look into the problems if they notice you are not on the PRO version of Windows ... despite that it works fine on every other computer in your office on the HOME version.

Pros

Lots of features eRX templates for Progress Notes

Cons

Poorly programmed (Frankenstein'd ... relies on other programs for many functions - which they don't tell you) Many of their tech support people are incompetent and it can take days to get something repaired. They NEVER take responsibility for their problems. It's always a battle. Poor P2P support with non-ecw practices MIPS Dashboard still not functioning as one would like despites many years of user feedback ... makes choosing quality measures difficult.

JR

Joelle R.

Medical Practice, 51-200 employees

Simple, effective EMR system

Overall Eclinical works for basic needs. I preferred Eclinical in the exam room setting for regular visits and check ins. However, for larger appointments, like procedures and IM ejections, etc. it was rather clunky and lacking in certain features. I would highly recommend Eclinical for anyone looking for a simple EMR to manage a small practice.

Pros

Eclinical works offers an affordable option for medical practices and providers. Overall the system is fairly streamlined, simple and easy to navigate. It is an "older system," but continues to improve and is effective for the uses we require within our practice.

Cons

I wished that Eclinical offered a better system for procedure documentation and generating of procedure consents and info. We currently make these manually on a PDF document and integrating them in to the system would save time and energy scanning them back in to the system.

EB

Erin B.

Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees

Used other for 2+ years

Nursing perspective

It’s important to know your needs when shopping for an EMR— company size, employee knowledge levels, and user priorities. eCW was great for us!

Pros

I used eClinical works for many years while working as a Director of Nursing in a setting where I am now a casual employee— I have taken another job in the field, which of course means learning a new electronic medical record! This has made me appreciate a few things about eCW. I think what I liked most about this software was the strong user support resource. Trainers came to spend several days on-site at the beginning, and then remained very available for our team!

Cons

I found the scheduling features to be slightly lacking in their ability to be customized for our setting. We had to make some new changes, but the team was again very helpful.

AH

Anna H.

Medical Practice, 11-50 employees

Poor training, Horrible customer service, very expensive monthly fee, incomplete set up

it's been a battle from day one, starting with their un-organized and poor training week for physicians and staff, having incompetent trainer, charging for a trainer who's knowledge base was zero, forcing clients to pay for trainers air fair even if their BAD, they will

Pros

patient scheduling is good, we were told reports are great but it was not at all good or user friendly.

Cons

No upper management, no one is there if you have complains, you're on your own. During the demo they promise you the moon and the stars but deliver nothing

LH

Larry H.

Medical Practice, 11-50 employees

Poor customer service and tech support. They are extraordinarily slow in responding to EHR problems. After placing tickets and contacting support online no significant response from them or signs of fixing the problem.

I am posting this poor review due to a lack of response from tech and customer support. I would not recommend this EHR because of our my current issue with product and it should have been an easy fix given its been 5 months.

Pros

Reasonable ease of use for an EHR but all of EHRs still stink. More reasonable cost than most and was not dissatisfied with company until an update in August/Sept. Our particular problem has not been fixed in the last 5 months and I have not gotten any reasonable response back from the company about this issue. This particular part of the EMR was working well prior to the last update.

Cons

Poor tech and customer support. My office has sent him ticket after ticket online without any hint of trying to solve the problem. So not matter how cost effective the product may be or the ease of use if they are not going to respond efficiently and effectively to our user needs then they are not worth using.

AH

Andrew H.

We switched to eCW two years ago and have never looked back, very forward thinking.

Ease of use from clinical side, good product from Practice Management. Forward thinking with patient engagement.

Pros

Our clinicians feel that the setup is much more efficient than some of the other eHR packages we have use. I like we're they are going with the web based content and PHM. We see a lot of value in the product and feel it has been a great investment. From a financial standpoint, the monthly subscription service helps small businesses who can't afford to put up large sums of money for initial license fees.

Cons

Their report generator is a little more difficult to use than some products, or you don't have access to all fields. We utilize their Query writer often and then dump the data into Excel. Their Report Writer suite can be powerful, but requires advanced knowledge of query writing, which many small to medium sized companies likely will not have available.

SN

Saifullah N.

Very Poorly Designed and very dishonest billing practices

Pros

software is terribly designed and very very slow. You will be charged an arm and a leg every step of the way.

Cons

They charge and overcharge. Tried to squeeze another $10k in licensing fees. Eventually they backed off after i prove that I had already had a license. Eventually, we had had enough and decided to leave (it was a bad software altogether). Then, Just to leave them, I had to shell out over $3k for backups of patient records (they give free option but its impossible to sort out how to use). Now they bill again saying they forgot to collect for the price of the hard drive! $500 for a $50 hard drive! What a nightmare. Software is slow slow slow. Not designed to be web-based. Do yourself a favor and avoid at all costs. Every step of the way you have to pay and you have to talk to people on the phone (who are out of india). Nothing can get done without them.

JM

Jill M.

Hospital & Health Care, self-employed

Steep Learning Curve with ECW

In general, a electronic medical record system is very helpful. I think ECW needs to listen to the user experience and make some adjustments. It should be more intuitive and less frustrating!

Pros

There are some positive aspects of ECW. I like that you can create treatment plan templates that are accessible with a keyword. You can easily copy forward your last clinical note.

Cons

I have found ECW difficult to learn despite having a two day in person seminar and watching their training modules. I have used other electronic medical record systems which are more user friendly. The biggest con for me is that if you type in certain areas (medical history, social history) it is included in every note of every provider moving forward. I work in a primary care clinic, so there are several disciplines working with the same patient. I don't want my information automatically included on the PCM's note and vice versa. The only work around that we found is typing all my history in the "examination" part. This does not make for a well organized note and it is more difficult to easily access the information in future visits, but it does keep the information private.

CA

Chi A.

Medical Practice, 201-500 employees

One of the worst EMR's

I work within a medical group of 2-300 practitioners. I have been using the eCW for close to two years, and am having headaches everyday. Not very intuitive, and hard to navigate. Too many clicks. It can't multitask, i. e. can't open multiple windows at the same time. Have to click too many times to move to a different section, then come back to where you were previously, then end up having to go back because I forgot what I just saw(oops, that would be my fault...). I was using Allscripts before joining the current practice, and was complaining about it back then; now I would go back to Allscripts any minute. It's interesting to see how the users in the management side seem to love it, but for the practitioners like me, "Run, don't walk away from it" sums it up nicely.

Pros

Cons

Not intuitive/user friendly Doesn't multitask, can't open multiple windows at the same time, have to click too many times Slow, freezes often Has multiple glitches: particular one is with medications-when choosing a med for a diagnosis, somehow defaults to another diagnosis, so end up prescribing a med for an unrelated diagnosis; finding meds is not easy

MW

Michael W.

Medical Practice, 51-200 employees

My ECW Experience

Overall I think there is some improvement that can be done, but ECW gets us through the day to day functions. The support staff could be a lot better. All in all, ECW does what we need it to do.

Pros

ECW offers a lot of features that our staff utilizes. Our staff loves the jellybean system and how it makes referral, telephone encounters, messages, etc easier to see. The resource schedules are very simple to view and utilize. Running reports in ECW is super easy.

Cons

The staff support is slow with ticket response. Even when the ticket is marked high priority, the response time takes hours sometimes. We experience a lot of slowness on a day to day basis. This is referring to the ECW product itself. Our providers have complained about being in the rooms with patients and having to stall due to system slowness.

Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees

Outpatient charting,

As stated above, many years ago used the software when a family practice was switching from paper to EMR. There was not a good way to do this and wish there was. However the software itself was easy to use and learn. Love the interface ability and secure messaging for patients.

Pros

Ability to integrate with other clinics and facilities. Team learned it quickly.

Cons

Not as many features as Epic or Cerner, however feel works well for outpatient practice. First used with transition to EMR from paper records and wish there had been a more efficient way to do.

SC

Samuel C.

Medical Practice, 1-10 employees

I have had a love hate relationship with ECW for 10 years, I would love to change to something that would make my life easier, but also be cost effective.

Pros

I can copy over most any part of the prior note, but I can separate out most any section to bring over. Currently cheaper that several other programs.

Cons

A lot. The entire system is compartmentalized and so it the support, so often times one support area will do something that has adverse affects on other things. The system does not make it easier to function, way too many clicks, its unstable and will freeze up or require a reboot. They nickel and dime you with very high prices for adding interfaces, adding documents, and the program does not work well on an iPad. They have good videos for starting out, or adding new people, but nothing when it comes to advanced or indepth education or training or best practice setups or ways to make things flow easier.

LB

Lisa B.

Hospital & Health Care, 501-1,000 employees

Good intentions, poor execution

Pros

They have built a lot of functionality in different spaces (online appointments, check-in kiosk, patient portal, patient messaging, etc.).

Cons

If there are more than a few sites or providers in your practice, they are likely not for you. They can't handle volume or scale, many processes are extremely manual. Their support is some of the worst I have ever experienced. Tier 1 support personnel do nothing but read from their user manuals, and escalations can take days or weeks. We had substantial problems that persisted for years that regardless of how many times we talked to eCW CEO & COO we saw no resolution. They simply couldn't handle our size (30+ clinics). It may look nice on the outside, but behind the scenes their products are a mess and unreliable.

JN

JENNIFER N.

Specialty in Alabama

I have seen several comments that ecw is affordable. It is not....it's very expensive and they nickle and dime you to death. They tell you products are free and then a year later you get a huge bill for a service you were told was free. We probably pay a FTE's salary in what we pay annually for ecw.

Pros

Great product if you can actually figure out how to use without spending tons of hours and money on training. They stay on top of current issues and regulations.

Cons

We have had bugs in our system since it was built in 2012. It has never gotten better. No one speaks English as a first language EXCEPT FOR SALES DEPARTMENT, of course. Typically when we have questions or problems we let it go for as long as we can because we know how long and horrible it will be to deal with tech support.

JH

Jay H.

Medical Practice, 1-10 employees

Need extra employees to use this system

DO NOT GO WITH THIS!!!!

Pros

That is is cheap and you get what you pay for. I do like some of the billing features. Not many other pros

Cons

1. had to hire staff for all the errors eclinical has. they do not have a support. when an issue comes up you have to leave a ticket, they call u 1 hour later and then your staff have to uses their time and their computer to be walked thru how to fix it. meaning each issue takes 2-3 hours of your staff time. nothing is simple. 2. we finished and went live on may 14 2018. NOTHING WAS LIVE!! 2 months...

Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees

5 Stars!

eClinicalWorks provided us with an EMR that was both user-friendly and effective in our pediatric workflow. I can't recommend it enough!

Pros

eClinicalWorks was by far the best EMR I have ever used. I have used several over the last 15 years and this one has left a lasting impression. ECW is easy to use, their customer support is unlike anything I have ever seen. Most concerns were addressed within 30 minutes which is rare with any company.

Cons

The only "con" is that sometimes with customer service, even though there were fast response times, we didn't always feel heard.

Thank you for your review! We are so happy to hear that you've had such a great experience. We pride ourselves on providing the best service to all our customers.

CE

Cathy E.

This reviewer only left a rating

Our organization has 3 doctors that are primary physicians to residents in nursing home. We provide service for 9 nursing homes and continue to grow. We have 4 office staff and are all virtual. We use eClinicalWorks and Group One for billing and host through PSM. We went with eClinicalWorks because Group One billing was incorporated with them and also the hosting of the server. We did not want...