Sage Construction Suite Logo

Sage for Construction, trust & innovation for over 50 years.

Sage Construction Suite Reviews - Page 5

1,041 reviews

JC

James C.

Construction, 51-200 employees

Good product, frustrating reporting, is Sage looking forward?

Solid ERP software. Expensive to get all the "bells and whistles". Requires work outside the software to get useful information efficiently.

Pros

Once trained, easy to use. Good security policies in place to allow multiple users with access to only what they need.

Cons

Cumbersome to get information out. If you want Job information about an AP invoice, you need to look at two different inquiries because the job info is in the Job Cost database while you are looking in the Accounts Payable database, or vice versa. Even with daily time entry, the Payroll module doesn't offer an inquiry or report to get daily info about an employee (Job charged to, EQ used, etc.) Finally, why doesn't Sage have any plans to develop a 64-bit ODBC driver? The whole world is going to 64-bit Windows platforms, but have to use 32-bit Spreadsheet software to use the ODBC connection to access the information that should be available from within the software itself.

GW

Glen W.

Construction, 201-500 employees

We've been contemplating purchasing additional modules/products for some time now, such as the paperless invoice routing and the project manager module, but we haven't because we can't get a live demo to go over the features of each. I have some users, especially with the project manager module, who need to see a demo of the software and be able to ask questions. I know you have videos that we can...

Pros

It's mostly easy to use. Ease of use.

Cons

I have complaints from some of the users that some reports don't total correctly.

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate your business and look forward to helping drive your continued success in construction and real estate.

PS

Peter S.

Its not good.

It's not good. It could be worse but its not good. It seems like at time Sage makes harder than they should be.

Pros

The most common functions are easy to find.

Cons

Almost everything is harder than it should be. It allows modules to post that won't post in the GL. The direct entry options are not the same as the import options. The service department read the knowledge base. Support takes a very long time. Its not fair to say call volumes are higher than expected if that is the norm. The pervasive SQL backbone make it very unfriendly to connect to. Some upgrades rename fields instead of adding new ones within the database. Sage does a very poor job informing customers of needed upgrades until it is almost too late.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Sage products and services. We strive to deliver the best experience possible for Sage customers. We would welcome the opportunity to connect with you to better understand how we can exceed your expectations in the future.

LO

Lisa O.

Construction, 1-10 employees

New SAGE 100 user review (General Contractor)

Pros

SAGE 100 has been a great tool for us as a GC operation. It gives us lots of ways to manage job costs including those associated with uninsured subcontractors. Once training was completed (albeit remotely), our personnel found that the software was easy to use and navigate.

Cons

Transition and rollout of SAGE 100 Contractor took much longer than expected but this was not well-communicated by team that sold us the software. Transition team was remote but effective - they assumed we had extensive accounting knowledge when, in fact, the sole operator of SAGE 100 in our office is a part-time bookkeeper, not an accountant. Payroll calculations are rarely correct (we use an outside Payroll processor) even though tax tables are up-to-date.

TG

Teri G.

Sage 300CRE review

While the support staff is very responsive and friendly, there is just things that aren't setup properly and Sage won't fix them.

Pros

Entering AP, PR etc. is easy to use and understand. It's nice that all of the modules work together.

Cons

There are just too many bugs. Some times the software just doesn't work. Example - we process a purchase order, when we finish we select to print the PO and it just doesn't happen. We have limits setup in payroll for deductions and the system continues to take the deduction past that limit. There is just a lot of quirks with the system that Sage refuses to fix.

Kathy R.

Construction, 201-500 employees

Sage 300

I have always believed in the product. Enough that I worked as a consulting for 9 years.

Pros

I like the way that these modules cover most of the activities that I need. Reporting flexibility and program stability have always been good.

Cons

I would like to see scheduling features included, purchasing fully integrated, eventually cloud-based. I would like to be able to make g/l accounts inactive. I have been having problems with module licenses and .lck. It needs updating to compete with newer programs and contact with support almost always requires a 45 minute wait.

KELLEY R.

26 YEARS EXPERIENCE

In my 26 years in construction accounting I have not used a more difficult, less user friendly software. We have had sync issues with sage CPC continually and have to "restart the connector" far too often.

Pros

Support is responsive when called or emailed. Although a few of the support team have not been able to assist and we have to move up a level

Cons

sage is not user friendly. The modules are difficult to maneuver and advancing and closing months should be one step not many. Closing a period should truly make it closed, meaning that no entries or voids can be made without special pw or permissions. Reports take forever to run. Conditions and Ranges are confusing.

DS

Deborah S.

Accounting, 51-200 employees

Overall I can find, research just bout anything as I learn the system.

Pros

Once learned the program parts for my position I can work through most anything with ease.

Cons

There are still missing features. Cannot pull a report by customer name under the inquiry option only the customer number. You cannot pull up a customer by customer name in service management when creating the work orders. You cannot adjust an invoice in service management unless you post over, then void and then make corrections. And finally unless you know the whole system reports can be quite complicated. WE are not able to export information in Service Management to excel as we need. WE have to pull reports from multiple areas to get information. Have ot been able to import documents to attach to the work orders.

JB

James B.

Construction, 11-50 employees

Honest review from construction subcontractor

It has been good. I rely on Sage heavily for a lot of important information and reports. The support staff is friendly and there is a wealth of knowledge out there. I wish it were easier to go straight to a live chat or phone call and I wish that I could speak to a developer who would listen to accounting issues I see as a CPA.

Pros

The product is very user friendly. I learned it in no time. I love how you can add attachments to everything, customize reports, have fields prepopulated/skipped, etc. There is a lot this system can do.

Cons

It seems like the Sage developers are rigid in how they set things up. I've had multiple instances where I reached out to support to get things fixed or improved, and I haven't had any luck on getting them fixed. Even when from an accounting standpoint, the current way is incorrect.

Thank you for submitting a product review. Your feedback is invaluable to the continued improvement of products and services from Sage.

Accounting, 51-200 employees

Best accounts management system for Construction and real estate companies

Pros

Easy of use . Not required any expertise to use this program. We can make functions,modules using crystal reports program. Very easy to build new modules. Maintaing inventory, job postings , invoice design and printing, batch management becomes easy .

Cons

If it has any API to intigration with SIMEM plant, Marcantonin Plant data bases that will be of great feature .

CH

Chad H.

Difficult to Use

It has been a hard road that we have had to travel with very little guidance. Sales speaks highly of software and then there are no staff to support it. Everything is very expensive!!!

Pros

Reports that are available, all in one software

Cons

Hard to navigate, customer support is horrible or maybe nonexistent

BT

Barbara T.

Commercial Real Estate, 11-50 employees

Stale software at a high annual maintenance price

Pros

Easy to add multiple companies and track each separately.

Cons

Software is stale, interface hasn't been updated for as long as we've used it (since 1997). Instead of updating the software, they force you to buy additional modules, or programs written by other companies. Cost of annual maintenance is extremely high, considering there are really no updates to the software that a typical user would notice. Getting reports for what you need is difficult. Custom reports have to be done by others at a cost because the software is so difficult to use (Crystal). Canned reports are terrible and have to be re-written in order to get the correct information. Service Management was sold to us with the promise it would be updated and modernized. It hasn't changed a bit in 20 years!

MS

Mark S.

Accounting, 201-500 employees

Used other for 1-2 years

Bang up Piece of Software

I highly recommend this for anyone who wants to take their accounting system to the next level

Pros

I would highly recommend this software for any large sized (5 million and above) construction business. It tracks your fixed assets, as well has a variety of other strong accounting functions.

Cons

This isn't exactly the most user friendly software, and alot of the times it will be people switching from Quickbooks to this software. It may have a steep learning curve.

AJ

APRIL J.

One Man Team

I want to go back to quickbooks but it also can't do what we need.

Pros

It can do progress billing, but I think pretty much every software out there does and also most customers make me bill in their portal anyways.

Cons

Because the users are so expensive and it is so user unfriendly, I enter everything that happens into this software. Have to go into every recurring invoice and put the month. (ie for the month of "august" such a pain. why can't it use a code or something. I bill on the first of every single month. for 15 years. Nobody else will learn it so they do change orders in word (no calculations) so the #'s get all messed up. We have a manual PO log because it doesn't (really) track PO's. It says it can bank rec but that has never worked.

DC

Davin C.

Real Estate, 11-50 employees

Accurate and Reliable with Minor Drawbacks

The software does what you need it to do for daily accounting functions with minimal crashes or delays. However, the reporting function needs to be updated to a usable format so that it takes the end user less time to gain the information needed.

Pros

The software is very reliable and there are very few hiccups in day to day use. It's also very handy to have features such as: - Attaching documents/invoices to an AP or Journal Entry - Recurring journal entries - Project Coding

Cons

I find the interface layout to be a little archaic. It is not very modern in comparison to other accounting software. A troublesome area is when making entries in the General Ledger module, the entries are not reflected in the AP, Bank, or AR modules. However, making entries in the AP, Bank, or AR modules are transferred correctly in the GL. Lastly, the reports that are generated by Sage 300 can be put into Excel 97-2003 only. Furthermore, the reports are generated in a very complex manner with poor formatting and many merged cells. Trying to manipulate and sort data can take a long time. It would be very helpful to be able to search/filter through Sage by the invoice/document number. The only option to do this is to either export the data to Excel, or search by vendor.

JS

John S.

Timberline Customer Support

We are a $30M A&E/Construction company.

Pros

Decent functionality once you get it working. Price to function seems good. I have a hard time saying anything else good. If you can live with the cost of frustration, you will probably eventually say its worth it. I've used it for 10 years!

Cons

Sage provides almost "ZERO" support. Don't let them lie to you. I have used this product for over 10 years and my level of frustration remains very high. They will not support you after the software/conversion is done. You get pushed to a very few, custom Crystal Report writers who are incredibly overloaded. So all the promise of great dashboards, custom reports (which you have to have! For your own business!) is for naught. Just add 6 months to your process which is absolutely not an exaggeration. Let's just say it like it is. After the sale, Sage does not care about you.

RW

Randy W.

15+ years and still happy with product

Needs some work, hopefully they continue to fix issues as they have always done in the past.

Pros

I've never used any other product so I can't make comparisons but I've been very happy with this program for over 15 years. It's very intuitive and easy to use. There are tons of reports, you can easily navigate information within reports to save time. Customer support has always been at the top of their game but it seems harder to get someone on the phone lately.

Cons

The functionality of this product slowed down tremendously (for us) once it went SQL or "live". I'm constantly waiting for every menu option to start. Yearly maintenance contract is expensive, especially in years where not much has improved. Does not seem to integrate with many programs like Quickbooks can. May have to look at other products if they don't catch up on this. Program crashes more than ever now that it's live.

JM

Joelle M.

Sage 300 CRE Review

I have used Sage 300 CRE for 3 years and the previous software Timberline for 13 years. I am very happy with the software and would highly recommend it to other companies.

Pros

The visibility offered across all the financial modules. Job Cost reports give a project overview. Accounts Payable is very user friendly and far superior to other programs I've used.

Cons

We are integrated with Procore Construction Software. It would be extremely helpful if Sage 300 was fully integrated across all the financial tools in regards to exporting data. The flow of A/R billing/payment data and A/P invoice/ payment data would greatly impact the ability to manage all aspects of the projects.

JS

John S.

Construction, 1-10 employees

Sage Contractor, my company control center

I have been using it for about 30 years, since before it was Sage.

Pros

Compiling a detailed estimate and then turning it into a document to tracks the jobs costs, bills the client, tracks the subcontracts is nearly flawless. Connecting external documents into the AP or AR process is only a couple of mouse clicks. Pre loaded reports are easy to obtain. And you can customize your desktop for what you use on a regular basis.

Cons

Customizing reports is not that easy. The available Takeoff formats are limited, although they can be sent to Excel and from there be customized, but that is an additional step. There is no built in scheduling. Learning curve on the system is on the mid-steep side but once your know who things work (and where they are) it is smooth sailing. Their support has changed over the years to a "Chat"...which is not great.

VM

Victoria M.

Sage software review

Pros

Once learned it is very easy to use and helpful with reports. I especially like the billing reports.

Cons

When I need help I have to go to live chat and tell them I need to speak with a tech rep.

Kelly R.

Construction, 1-10 employees

Have used Sage for over 20 years. BEST software for Construction industry.

Sage is organized in a smart way that makes sense. Things are not generally buried somewhere, or organized in a way that you can accidentally enter things in multiple places (a nightmare I experienced repeatedly with Quickbooks). There are clear rules that follow basic accounting principles and tremendous resources for project management and business planning. It also has a lot of flexibility for customizing. The support services are unprecedented.

Pros

It leaves good audit trail for everything you do. As a bookkeeper this is invaluable for reconciling (unlike Quickbooks). Versatility in Job reports and tracking so much data for making smart business decisions.

Cons

It takes a long time to become truly proficient and is not designed for people without strong accounting abilities and knowledge. Some features are not intuitive. If you need custom reports you either need to take extensive classes or pay an expert (time consuming for the first and expensive for the second).

RM

Roxanne M.

Construction, 51-200 employees

Pros

It's easy to use, can customize most reports

Cons

What is a product without customer support? Sage. Even you pay for full coverage you are not talking to a live person until you have: gone through a robot, gone to a chat room just to have them send you articles to read and then maybe have THEM decide if your worth spending your full support dollars on a live person which by the way will call you and you'd better be sitting by the phone waiting for them. See their picture? Their time is of utmost important and yours and the time you waste trying to get someone's attention simply isn't important at all. Masterbuilder's support as SO much better. You could make a phone call, get it answered and get on with work and making money.

CE

Colleen E.

Construction, 1-10 employees

I like working with sage, I think it is a decent job cost accounting software.

Pros

Cost accounting is most important to me.

Cons

Needs a better way to track sales to cost ratio. What is out there now depends on you starting with the budget projection and my contractor owner does not work from the ground up, he has alot of this budget and cost numbers in his head, but wants to see the end results of cost vs profit at job end, and with out starting with the budgeting function it doesn't give me the ability to back up and show cost vs profit.

AP

Antoinette P.

ease on getting help

Training was great but now it is hard to find someone that will help us. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] knew everything and wish we could call one person to help us. You lost a great person. Would be nice to call someone that knows our system and could show us the best way to get what we want. Sometimes it is just knowing where to go.

Pros

It makes payroll a lot faster We can run reports and see if the job we did where the profit and loses were so next time we bid a job we can adjust

Cons

Sage Service Operation Cant see where the guys are and if they are even working. Can't log in a new job from my phone. Need to have sage on my phone for that and that in not happening. If have a problem have to go through Chat and several people before someone will log into me computer and I can show them the problem to get it fixed.

SR

SHARON R.

Sage 100

I like the fact that customer support is excellent when you can speak to somebody on the phone. The representatives are very patient and helpful and most issues are resolved with one phone call. The messaging does not work quite as well for me because I am not very good at communicating with a non-verbal message. The fact that all payroll taxes are updated is an great thing because you do not have to worry about not having the correct figures in your payroll program and the quarterly reports and year end reports make it very easy to file timley.

Pros

All of the uses for this program are mostly easy to use. Banking, billing and payroll are excellent tools to have at your disposal.

Cons

The portion that I find that I struggle with the most is the scheduling for work orders and I really have not used it much for that reason.