DiscoverText Reviews

4.57/5 (82 reviews)

Wasim Ahmed

Superb cloud-based software tool with powerful text analytics with social media integration.

Reviewed 2017-12-19

It allowed me to conduct research that otherwise would not have been possible including both industry and academic projects. The ability for those from the social sciences to be able to import and/or retrieve social media data, including historical data from Twitter, and analyse the data in order to answer research questions. This is because other tools may require a computer science background. Consequently, DiscoverText has been used in answering important social science questions leading to peer reviewed outputs. Over the years I have seen many tools appear and slowly wither away, however, DiscoverText has stood the test of time and has been growing in popularity. DiscoverText is not limited to academic uses and has a number of neat uses in the commercial world. A useful feature applicable to the commercial domain is the ability to retrieve and/or import data from Twitter and identify influential Twitter users, with the additional ability to use machine learning to sift influential users into different groups. For example, a football club may be interested to find out whether influential users are fans of the club or whether it is opposition fans causing a storm. To the best of my knowledge, no other tool is capable of doing this with this level of accuracy.

Brittany Andersen

DiscoverText is a great tool for collecting, sorting, and analyzing data

Used other for 1-2 years
Reviewed 2018-02-25

DiscoverText is a great tool for collecting, sorting, and analyzing data. The platform allows for collection of data from various networks, such as Twitter. I mainly use the platform for coding and machine-classification of tweets. The import feature allows for integration between DiscoverText and other interfaces. For a client project, our data was collected from another toolkit and formatted in an Excel CSV. We were able to import the data into DiscoverText and use the platform to code and machine-classify the tweets. When working with multiple coders, the platform enables you to quickly and efficiently measure inter-coder reliability, which is helpful to determine validity of codes and which categories may need re-classification. I also like the export feature, which allows you to export coding/classification reports. The platform produces different visualizations (e.g. pie charts/graphs) of the coding breakdown, or you can export the entire report into another file (such as a CSV). Overall, I've had a great experience using DiscoverText for both in-class and client research projects. I will continue to use the platform for future research projects, especially the coding and machine-classification functionalities!

Christine Atchison

A much better way to scrape data than learning how to code an API

Used daily for free trial
Reviewed 2018-12-29

I'm a PhD candidate who straddles the Humanities and Social Sciences, so I use DiscoverText as a research tool. My review of DiscoverText is a bit limited because I'm really only using it for Twitter. That said, the features are incredible. I know a bit about coding, but the prospect of learning JSON to use Twitter's API was doable but daunting. When I came across DiscoverText I was so pleased to find a way to search, use, and categorize Twitter data that made sense and would save me A LOT of time. I didn't anticipate getting access to so much useful metadata that was easy to navigate and use, so I was pleasantly surprised. The built-in bucket and dataset features are great ways to organize the massive amount of Twitter data that can be collected. The ability to code the data with peers within DiscoverText is also super useful. I really can't exaggerate how many features DiscoverText has that I didn't think I would need but have used to improve the quality of my scholarship.

Anonymous

A perfect tool to explore, collect, search, store, manage, code and classify the Twitter universe.

Reviewed 2018-01-03

The ability to work with Twitter data.As a social scientist, I lack the computational skills to work with Twitter data. In fact, Im not interested in doing data science, I want to do social science. DiscoverText allows me to collect and analyze large batches of Twitter data. Many of my colleagues spend hours having students copy and paste tweets into the Excel. DiscoverText is a breeze.

Antonia Samur

Unique tool for academic research with a wide range of features

Reviewed 2018-10-10

We are an academic institution using Discovertext to study social media use related to disaster preparedness and response. We’ve used the platform to code, filter, classify and analyze historical Twitter data (about 1.5 million tweets), which has opened new opportunities in academic research of social media use. We have used collaborative coding processes and individual coding, the combination of which makes this platform a unique tool for data analysis. We hope it continues to exist and improve as it provides a great service for research like ours. - The software allows to code and machine-classify thousands of tweets per day through its filtering, search and other advanced features. - The fact that is cloud-based makes it very convenient to work collaboratively with very large amounts of data from anywhere. - The metadata and tag cloud features are very useful throughout the whole coding and analysis processes. Customer support is great and normally very timely.

Hossein Kermani

Honestly,I can say DiscoverText makes analyzing social data not only easier, but also more enjoyable

Reviewed 2018-01-01

It provides me more opportunities for working on my projects. Using it, I have access to many ways for doing research on social media data which have not before. First, it is so easy to learn and use. Moreover, the DiscoverText founders provided some helpful tutorials and educational videos which are so handy and helpful. This software allows users to makes several datasets of one project. This enables a researcher to work on multi-dimentions of a certain project needless to create different ones. Furthermore, you can create a sample of your data very easily by making a dataset. Its buckets are very interesting also. Additionally, you can make some clouds of data by using cloud explorer feature. Finally, Clustering option is great! it makes working on big data easy and shows the main trends in them quickly.

Jim Witte

We have been using the software to study twitter conversations on immigration going back to 2013.

Reviewed 2018-01-29

Easy data captureIt's ability to capture tweets and now the capacity to export to NodeXL gives us two tools that we use together to study the content and structure of immigration conversations onTwitter.

Anonymous

Easy and intuitive research tool, great for qualitative research that involves social media data

Reviewed 2018-06-12

Quick way to collect and analyse data, also very mobile phones and tablets friendly.Well again, DiscoverText is really intuitive to use, I did read and look at some videos before using it but it wasn't necessary. I have used other qualitative analysis software and although they were a little different, I would say that DiscoverText is the easiest to get familiar with, just set up your themes, categories and start coding. Also something to consider in my opinion is the ease to navigate through the website, not overly complicated, nice blue/gray theme that won't feel heavy after hours spent on the PC.

Patricia Riley

DiscoverText is unique--it has the best mix of human coding and machine learning I have found.

Reviewed 2018-04-06

Combines data collection, human coding, machine coding and then easily exports to other software packages for additional analysis. Saves a huge amount of time.The dashboard allows our lab group to see multiple projects at once and keep track of the data feeds so we know how quickly we are collecting data on particular topics. It also has many useful functions like tracking topics over time, data cleaning support, analyzing social media meta-data and exporting data into other tools like NodeXL.

Spencer Greenhalgh

Useful software, very helpful team

Used other for free trial
Reviewed 2018-11-13

I used DiscoverText after hearing about them on the Association of Internet Researchers mailing list. Stu and his team helped me put together a Twitter dataset that I'd been trying to put together through other methods—never without any success. This is a huge step forward for some of the research that I'm trying to do; I'm already getting some interest in the data and my analysis of it, and I couldn't have done it without DiscoverText! DiscoverText worked exactly as hoped, but the most impressive thing is how helpful and personal the DiscoverText team was with helping me with the particular request that I had.

John Priebe

Much easier to code textual datasets than using spreadsheets

Used monthly for 1-2 years
Reviewed 2017-12-12

Can remove duplicate to reduce the time it takes to code a dataset. Great for: employee satisfaction surveys, customer satisfaction surveys, marketing surveys Can supply your own data, such as from a survey, in various formats including text and Excel spreadsheet. Can acquire data from social media including Facebook, Twitter, and others. Working as an independent consultant, I have had opportunities to help some clients analyze textual data through coding exercises. The first exercise was to examine customer feedback that had been collected by a weel-known hotel/travel review site. The customer's feedback data was tallied and processed with spreadseets, which was very cumbersome because quite a bit of horizontal scrolling across the spreadsheet's columns was required to enter customer's sentiments about the hotel. After becoming familiar with DiscoverText, I estimated that the same exercise could probably have been accomplished in half the time. Coding can be designed so that the coders simply have to select a number (e.g., 1 through 5) or from a list of predefined sentiments (e.g., staff was friendly, the hotel was clean, elevator did not work, etc.). More recently I have used DiscoverText on several projects, including attendee's comments about a local music festival, an employee satisfaction survey, and tweets about a clothing and accessories brand.

Morgan DiCarlo, EIT

Discover Text for academic study

Used weekly for free trial
Reviewed 2019-01-30

Discover text has been an incredible resource to explore crisis communication. The founder is particularly dedicated to his product and has held numerous one on one tutorial sessions for me. The advanced filtration tool allows you to sort of metadata tags like the geolocation of a tweet, which is extremely useful for academic work. This software is a great platform for an engineering academic like me to ease into the fields of text analytics and sentiment analysis.

Great Collaborative Text Analytics System

Reviewed 2018-07-29

DiscoverTest (DT) is great at what it was intended to be used for. DT makes it easy to schedule fetches from leading social media and information websites, and allows the user to specifically get the data they are looking for. We have used DT for 2 different projects so far and it seems to work great for our team of analysts.

Gabriela Zago

I've been using it for several years for analyzing customer data and Twitter data.

Used monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed 2017-12-14

It's easy to create and code a dataset, and it is a particularly useful software to work with a team of coders in the same dataset.My favorite feature about this software is the fact that it allows multiple coders to easily work on a coding project. So if you have a lot of data, you can load the data on DiscoverText, set up some codes, and have several people work at the same time with coding. It will provide you with a report of what each coder did for how long etc, and also will allow you to export the results. You can also import data directly from Twitter using the search API. Coders can see the actual tweet when coding, which helps speed up the coding process. You can also export the data to NodeXL in order to generate social graph and calculate social network analysis metrics. For a fee, it is also possible to get access to GNIP and the entire historical archive of tweets. DiscoverText is not limited to Twitter, you can import data from other sources (including SurveyMonkey). As a researcher working with Twitter, for me the most valuable tool is the ability to easily create and code a Twitter dataset.

Egor Savin

Our goal was to get a historical tweets and do an linguistic analysis.

Reviewed 2018-03-12

- teamwork friendly - support different types of file extraction - directly support of Gnip Feed Management - parallel possibility to work on different project - support of: Facebooks, LinkedLn

Max Söllner

It's a great tool to code big or even vast amounts of data in an efficient way. It work very well!

Reviewed 2018-06-08

It is easy to use, very intuitive, it gives you the basic options and functions in a clear design. Through the annotation tool, it is easy to amend the existing coding scheme and hint to anything problematic. This way you can also easily communicate with other users who you work on a project with. I really like the elegance of the program! It works very well for both rather simple (even binary) and truly elaborate and detailed coding schemes.

Joseph Downing

Excellent software and after sales support

Reviewed 2018-01-23

Made my research possible, cant overstate how important it has been for me!Discovertext has enabled me, a non-IT specialist, to create, sort and purchase large scale twitter data sets for qualitative academic research. As a platform it is extremely user friendly and intuitive and took very little time for me to become comfortable with. It is also always accessible, I have logged in all over the world and have never had any problems with the platform. However, like all software platforms, the platform is only as good as the after sales support. Thankfully, Discovertext has the best post-sales service of any company I have worked with, they are always accessible and you always get a real human at the end of the phone who knows the software inside and out where else do you regularly get to speak to the founder of the software and the CEO of the company on a regular basis for after sales help. Thus, to me, you can't go wrong with discovertext and I have no complaints.

Nurgul Bekin

Discovertext is a great tool!It helps you make sense out of messy, unstructured data.

Reviewed 2018-03-14

It is easy to use. It is also fast in clustering and filtering data. I like the word cloud function which gives primary insights about your data.

Adiman Ajem

Online data mining tool

Reviewed 2018-07-31

Great software for those who want to gain insights from social media platforms.I use the software to do analysis of historical data from Twitter. The software provides various features to extract insights from Twitter metadata. Customised customer support.

Bernard Forgues

Highly flexible, Incredible service

Used other for 1-2 years
Reviewed 2017-12-18

I've been using DiscoverText to analyze lots of short texts (reviews on websites). DiscoverText is not restricted to social media: one can import data from text files or excel spreadsheets to run analyses. I was also able to teach the software how to categorize data using machine learning, with a pre-existing coding grid I had. This is kind of unusual, and I wouldn't have been able to do this without the *fantastic* help from people at DiscoverText. None of my questions was left unanswered, I have not yet bumped into software-related limitations, and the level of support I enjoyed from DiscoverText is hands down the best I ever had.

junegak Joung

Great preprocessing. The software is perfect to use.

Reviewed 2018-06-12

Preprocessing to perform my algorithm. Export function is so nice. To write a research paper, I should perform my algorithm. That's why export function (excel format) is suitable to academic scholars. Basic statistics and graph are also nice because they give insights on the data.

Miao Feng

DT has been my favorite tool for text coding and data collection for a long time.

Reviewed 2017-12-22

I've done many research projects with this software. First, DT is incredibly user-friendly, especially for newbies even those who have never done any textual analysis before. I use DT myself and I trained several coders -- it's easy and straightforward and no confusion. Second, I've done coding using DT in foreign languages like Chinese and Spanish. Again, there's no difference in using the services with other languages. Third, it's convenient to compare coding results among coders and easy to export the files. Fourth, data collection via DT was pretty good as well.

Anonymous

I chose Discover text to collect Tweets for internal research.

Reviewed 2018-01-11

It provides customers good quality of Tweets. The customer support is very good. it is possible tu use Paypal to buy data.

Katie Wilson

Great way to gather and analyze data. A couple times when I was coding the software kicked me off

Reviewed 2018-03-06

I have already recommended this to a classmate working on a similar project. This software has enabled me to gather historical twitter data from several months ago which is not possible with most other software. The features to manipulate and visualize data are very helpful. I especially like the sifter features like the cloud generator and the ability to display the most used single, biad, or triad terms. The meta data tools are also excellent!

Heather Hodges

Pretty intuitive, lots of features.

Reviewed 2018-03-09

I really like that it offers access to FB text analysis as well as other SNS all in one platform. In addition, the analysis tool, similar to NVivo is nice to have in-house. At the same time, the exporting features can be quite helpful. The platfom is generally easy to navigate and clear.