Dundas BI Reviews

Flexible Dashboard, Reporting and Data Analytics Software

Dundas BI

Review Summary

Buck H.

I think we like the ease of use the best but also its flexibility and customization capabilities.

Richard D.

Their customer support is one of their top qualities, they typically respond within 24 hours and are very interested in a very helpful way.

Jeremy B.

Cons

I am new to this product and have found myself calling support because I have "customized myself" into an error, but never fear the support team always manages to untangle my mess.

Michelle B.

John-Arne S.

Debugging data errors, if you're working with alot of data can be a NIGHTMARE.

DANNY T.

Affordable, flexible solution for manufacturing operations BI

We needed a self-service BI solution that would cover manufacturing operations dashboards and use cases. We wanted a tool that would allow for the distribution of centralized common dashboards but also allow for self-service customization. It needed to connect to multiple disparate data sources, and provide native ETL. It also needed to allow for real-time refresh capability. Finally, it needed to be affordable and scalable to our global operations footprint. DundasBI was the only solution that checked all of these boxes, and so far the tool has been a great help to reducing external spend and internal, custom-coded solutions.

Pros

-Real-time dashboard refresh capability -Built-in ETL -Flexible seat types and affordable licensing -Superior flexibility and customization, without the need for coding -Out of the box performance and usage tracking

Cons

Customization and flexibility come at the cost of a steeper learning curve compared to other solutions.

Amazing Experience for Your Dashboard's Users

The Creation GUI is very quirky, but the results are well worth putting up with it. I have never had an idea that I could not eventually create (sometimes, some java script is needed). The fact that they expose all of their API tools to the end user is amazing, and allows you to create some awesome things.

Pros

- Support team is very helpful with basic use cases. - After a dashboard has been created, it looks great and works well for the end user. - People with zero programming experience are able to create dashboards.

Cons

(All very minor things, which might be addressed in future updates) - Data cube creation, metric sets, and dashboards must be created using their GUI- they cannot be generated using scripts or edited as script. - You cannot copy and paste sections of one dashboard or datacube to another. - Data cube nodes cannot be copied. - All programming scripts are stored in an sql database, which means you cannot use version control systems (such as Git Hub).

Promising, good and high potential but not there yet

Dundas BI is a very good contender in the BI segment and has great potential. At the moment it is a tool for developers proficient with JavaScript and not recommended for end users. There are great potential with DBI. Unfortunately v4 got the wrong focus on non-essential upgrades thus put the bar high for version 5. To compete with Power BI, Tableau and QlikView DBI need much improvement on user-friendliness. If DBI can be really improved on administration and formatting and keeping the flexibility it will surpass most of it's competitors.

Pros

Relatively easy to get started and creating visualizations and dashboards. The scorecard, which is a kind of repeating panel is brilliant and undervalued. The report is a great addition which makes DBI an all-in-one BI tool. Dashboard layers and pop-ups enhances the experience. Data driven notification adds to a useful experience. ETL cube with data warehouse has powerful transformations and much capabilities. The open API with JavaScript makes it flexible beyond expectations.

Cons

Project and file and content management is amongst the worst in class! This need to be completely changed in v5! It's a frustrating experience to organize content. Auto save is okay, but need to be able to decide where. Check in /out is over-used and add frustration to developing dashboards. Poor cube management; need option to process multiple cubes and have incremential processing as option. Need an equation writer for those who is not proficient in JavaScript. Need more formulas for metric sets. Hidden metric sets in dashboards are a bad idea. Properties tab need complete re-organization.

Great BI tool

Since Dundas BI is fairly new compared to it's competitors expect a steep learning curve, especially on using the API's. With that said, it is quite worth it as you will be rewarded with a product that could deliver a great user experience whether using it as a stand-alone platform or embedding it to your existing ones.

Pros

Dundas BI is very easy to use and intuitive. For simple reports, almost everything works right out of the box. For advanced usage, the API's available are astounding. You can control the application without using their UI. (Great for automating certain routine admin tasks!)

Cons

They would have to look into deeper support for OLAP sources. Also, they would have to improve on their documentation, sometimes there are amazing features that are not going to be used because the user would not even know it's there.

Highly Customizable BI Software

Its Awesome product.

Pros

Dundas BI is very good software having lots of features and it is highly customizable BI Product.

Cons

Dundas BI dashboard performance should be improved for large data and also needs to improve Report PDF export look and feel.Also It needs more efforts to design from scratch.

Dundas BI - Much more than a BI tool

Overall experience is very good, I like that there is nothing that can't be done with this tool, with regards to user requirements.

Pros

Best thing about Dundas BI is that it is very extendable to user needs and it can accomplish a lot more in a very short development time, comparing to other BI tools on the market which are not so extendable and easy to use. You can also build more than a dashboard with Dundas BI, you can also create software as a service applications with complex navigation systems and all sorts of rules applied to the visualizations and it's data. Speaking of data, it also has a very powerful ETL engine that enables data transformation without needing to know SQL or other query languages.

Cons

These is not much to dislike at this tool but if I have to come up with an answer, I will say that the complexity of options for every visualization could be a dislike because it is very time consuming to find everything in the properties tab of each type of viz. This also may be a big like because it enables you to customize everything pixel perfect.

End to End Enterprise BI Solution

I used Dundas BI for almost the last two years, Dundas BI is Enterprise end to end solution where you can connect to your data through wide range of data sources available and the ability to add extra data sources through its open API, Dundas BI contain embedded ETL engine to transform the data and it allows for multiple data access options (Datawarehouse, In memory analysis and direct connection to...

Pros

Flexible tool where you can do what ever you want, I beleive that 95% of use cases can be build in Dundas BI as quick-wins and the rest is possible through JS and HTML5.

Cons

I wish Dundas BI to have out the box integration with web-services as this will be helpful and currently not available but it can be done through programming,

Easy to customize and user friendly GUI

Overall I definitely would like to recommend Dundas BI as a BI tool for organization. within a sort time of period you can easily create your own reports or dashboard.

Pros

Dundas BI easy to customize and very friendly GUI. you can easily navigate to ETL process, Scheduling job, admin activity, configuration, user security and roles. Most important thing is very well visualization options, flexibility, stability and multi tenancy licenses. Customer Support is really very good.

Cons

Required better folder structure to manage data cubes, matric Set and dashboard.

Dundas BI - If you don't have it, get it...

We have been a partner with Dundas BI for almost two years, since the initial release of the product. We were searching for a BI offering to present to our clients and stumbled upon Dundas almost by accident. Good thing we did. In hindsight, choosing any product other than Dundas BI would have been the wrong choice. The architecture of Dundas BI uses HTML5, CSS and JavaScript - no legacy technology here. The product is can be deployed on-premise or in the cloud, includes multi-tenant functionality, includes out-of-the-box connectors to an array of data sources, allows for ETL in the application, gives developers granular control over most design elements, the dashboard features are almost limitless and the support team is outstanding.

Pros

Flexibility and functionality.

Cons

I'll never fully exploit the capabilities of the software - it's simply too massive.

Very Flexible, Lots of Features, Semi-intuitive

It has been challenging. I have database experience in many facets, but the concept of the cube was new to me as well as slicers, hierarchy, measures, etc. Once I got my project going, it made more since. I am enjoying Dundas very much and know it has so many more features that our company could utilize. Highly recommend.

Pros

If you have ever wished for a BI product that you can change just this item, or enhance this item or be able to drag and drop this one, then Dundas is for you! It has everything you can think of and many features that you did not! I also enjoy the new THE CUBE community where you can ask questions, work on your skills and earn rewards.

Cons

It wasn't intuitive at first. Once you get into it, it gets better. I found that I am sailing right along, got into a new area, and could not move the handles or anything on the grid. Come to find out you have to click off the grid, then it shows you the dimensions. That is one example. There are non-standard methods, but once you know it, it is easy.

Explore, analyze and get fast insights of your data in an easy and fast way using Dundas BI.

I've been working in Business Intelligence for quite a long time and in the beginning it was hard to explore data and show information in form of data visualizations for the end users. Since I discovered Dundas BI, this task turned to be much more simple and easy to achieve! Dundas Bi has an IDE for developing Dashboards, Reports and Scorecards that uses the last technologies in web applications...

Pros

The drag and drop feature for creating views is a very productive feature. The ETL is also great, it's easy to use and, for more advanced users, it evens permits to write direct sql against tha data source you choose. Regarding performance it has two possibilities, you can cache in memory or in DBI data warehouse. The collaborative feature of this tool is a must to have feature, I specially like the data driven notification option that could alert you by email when a specific metric goes behind a threshold or state.

Cons

It needs to take a step further and aboard predicted analytics!

A steep learning curve, with great reward at the end of it.

Pros

Dundas is a conglomeration of expertly coded dashboard development tools and infrastructures. The thing I like most about Dundas is that they are very helpful, the gentleman assigned to me to educate me in the ways of Dundas, was one I will never forget to this day, he was calm, helpful, understanding and with his help I learned Dundas in no time. I like the way Dundas structure's its Dashboard...

Cons

Dundas, for the good of it's users needs to publish more comprehensive educational equipment to train it's users, it is very hard to get to an expert level in Dundas without some help from your Friends in Dundas. I would love to see Dundas publish university style lectures, with step by step guides that show every aspect of the working sphere. With adequate educational material, one would be able to gain adept or even artisan status with the Tool on their own.

Dundas embodies data visulization

I think overall, I would not rule out Dundas, even with it's so called quirks. Dundas staff showed very much that they listen to users, even those that haven't purchased and have taken my criticisms to heart. Since we're not talking about a 2017 Toyota car or whatever, I feel it's important to note the constant evolution of any progressive software company. The complaints stated could be obsolete in a mere few weeks.

Pros

Dundas seems to really understand the need of handling big data and the tools needed to process these overwhelming mountains of 1's and 0's into actionable data. While working with the demo of Dundas I was able to create a very helpful tree-map that showed me the dissection of purchases comparatively from vendor to vendor to evaluate our performance or "loyalty" per vendor by item category and so on.

Cons

The U.I. of Dundas, while quite robust, seems to concern me in regards to the amount of boxes, checks, and clicks and long clicks I have to make to merely navigate my way through the program. I would rather see more keyboard shortcuts and less "Windows Vista" popups that slow my work. I felt like the settings I would implement would get lost. For instance, I would filter the vendors that weren't pertinent...

Dundas BI Earned Our Decision

We have years of data that need mined. This requires the stakeholders to play with the data. We can give them all the metrics we can define, but when a user gets the chance to turn the data on its side and inside out, and then when they can bounce it around between each other, mark it up and change the visualizations on demand, it allows them to work from intuition. We are striving to help our users work from intuition, as well as from logic, to make observations; and, Dundas BI offers the ability to feed intuition.

Pros

Dundas BI is a solid platform: it's more than a tool. With solid row-level security, a hefty selection of visualizations and the opportunity to present our user base with the ability to play with data, they won our vote. We compared them against: Tableau, Sisense, Domo and iDashboards. These comparative products had strengths as well, but when we made our decision, it was because Dundas gives our end users great control over visualizing what they see without unnecessary programming as well as our ability to use native SQL views we've already written with no need for modification. This in tandem with row-level security that we control at the data level made a perfect fit for our organization.

Cons

I like to get up and going intuitively. There wasn't a quick-start guide on how to create your first dashboard: it was pieces of learning. Having now gone through the majority of their 100-level and 200-level courses and having created a number of assets, I can see why Dundas wants you to do their training...but for heavy programming go-getters, I wish there had been a quick document to start. They did, however, respond amazingly as they hit my demands for learning head on and answered my questions rapidly, even assigning me access to a technician for a few days while I was in crunch mode.

Best Flexible BI tool in the market

Built dashboards which makes our customers day easier , well organized and informative, which otherwise would require customers to use their own analytics to gain insights.

Pros

This software provides with a breadth of flexibility in terms of integrations, automated user authentication,different charts available for visualizations. The time to market is reduced greatly.

Cons

Documentation for some features is not descriptive enough, which makes it difficult to use some of the cool features the tool provides.

Comprehensive BI = Dundas BI

Pros

Dundas BI is the most comprehensive BI platform available (trust me, we looked at BI products for almost a year before choosing DBI). Our three main criteria when selecting a BI platform for our clients were visualizations, reports and mobile. DBI covers all three criteria (with a codicil that will show up in the "What I like least" section) and the licensing costs are reasonable. Key features that...

Cons

The one knock on DBI is the lack of a mobile app. User experience is the number one factor for us when delivering products to our clients. Currently, mobile data is delivered via web pages. DBI would be greatly enhanced if the mobile experience was via a mobile app (even if the "app" was simply a wrapper the redirects users to the web page).

Great BI tool

We have chosen Dundas BI because of its flexibility and the ability to integrate with wide range of data sources, the open API platform that allows to do non-traditional integrations with our in-house systems. Dundas support team are always on time to solve any issues or to provide any suggestions and java scripts to help our issues.

Pros

Flexibility to do whatever you want, Open API and known scripting languages like HTML5 and JS where 99% of your word can be accomplished through drag and drop including preparing the connections to database, you can do all the task which usually have to be done through SQL language by using Dundas and only drag and drop like join, sort , filter, union, aggregation and more.

Cons

The tool doesn't support the 3D Charts even it is clear that 3D charts are not professional.

Dundas Developer for the last 3 years

Pros

1. Data Visualisation is what Dundas do, and do well at; as opposed to many BI vendors, who offer a broader range of functionality but end up being a jack of all trades, and a master of none. 2. It's a difficult balance for a product to be easy to use, as well as being flexible. It's subjective, but I feel that they have the balance right. 3. I can't speak highly enough about the support team.

Cons

1. Exports to Powerpoint, etc... are needed. 2. Ability to work off line, with everything nicely cached. I agree the benefit will diminish over the years, but other products, like Microstrategy, do. Senior managers like this. 3. A better way to add comments; something like Cognos. 4. More an issue with the previous Dundas product, and though rare, but we had a couple of cases where newer versions could often resolve one issue raised, but result in something else no longer working, which made us look a rather silly. With new versions, don't assume anything, and test thoroughly again. 5. Greater presence in Europe.

Flexible, Customizable, and a Great Investment Return

The staff and support have been excellent. The software is flexible enough to meet our needs.

Pros

Flexibility and Customization Ability to connect multiple data sources Ability to setup security groups and have auditing capability Customer support is excellent

Cons

It does take some time to setup initially, but the flexibility more than makes up for it

Flexibility in design,

I am developer and implementer of Dundas BI. I rememered how we choosed dundas from 10s of options for to many aspects like flexibility to do whatever you want , variety of data sources and the open API. Moreover, the price od dundas is reasonable comparing to the features that it provides and cheaper comparing to other products in the market. Later on, our requirements increased but dundas BI was...

Pros

Flexibility in design, variety of charts and data sources, open API and the great dundas support

Cons

No 3D charts even it is clear to me that 3D is not professional but some people just like to see it.

Best functionalities in a BI tool that money can buy

I am working with Dundas BI since the day it was born (roughly 2014 begining) and I can say that I had only good experiences with it, as long as you know it very well.

Pros

- ease of use - really intuitive - extremly open to external integration, like javascript D3 charts, tools like TinyMCE, picture uploaders etc. - writeback option to send data to a database - R and Python Integration - big array of visualisations and also some interesting ones, like Sankey Driagram, Tree Node Map, Chord Diagram etc.

Cons

- big learning curve for developers - not so self service BI orientated - Dundas diferentiates a dashboard from a report or scorecars, so you have to learn how to do 3 things

Nice Feature Set, Some Learning Curve

Pros

Rich visualizations; tons of choices for visualizations with almost limitless customization; cube-builder platform is a very convenient environment for ETL - accommodates newbies with graphical tools and coders with convenient SQL, C#, and Python interfaces; state notifications are convenient and intuitive; good security.

Cons

Fairly tough to learn this platform - not always intuitive - hard to do simple things sometimes; limited (statistical) analysis toolset - no ML, though Python integrates nicely and has some application. v6.0 was a good step forward. Most customer support technicians are outstanding. Very skilled, knowledgeable, helpful. Other times, you have to bounce emails back and forth for a week before getting meaningful answers to your questions.

Amazing Things You Wouldn’t Have Guessed About Dundas BI

Metric set color/base changes need to apply automatically to the same metric set where it used in dashboard instead of editing each dashboard and do changes manually. [Simple : if user did changes in one metric set level it needs to update all places wherever it used in dashboard currently it is not happening. In this case user need to edit each dashboard and apply the same changes at dashboard level ]

Pros

Many advantages/functions inside the Dundas BI . example Good Visulizations,Responsive dashboards (mobile friendly), User friendly and easy use for development of dashboards and many more.

Cons

Score cards ,Table & Reports are not responsive and after refreshing the parameterized URL its lost the base parameters (In general case if URL captured with parameter its should hold the parameters even user refresh the URL).

Huge bang for the buck

There are so many features to this software that we learn new tricks every time we work with it, but you don't have to learn everything to start providing value to your customers. We are well ahead of schedule at moving from our old visualizations to new Dashboard and reports in Dundas. A definite productivity booster for the costly Business Analytics group and BI in general.

Pros

We're moving from a SSIS, SSRS, Datazen and Excel, very manual process over to Dundas BI (DBI) and we are daily amazed at how much we can do so quickly in DBI. The ETL process is very quick so creating the data cubes isn't rocket science. Once created a cube can be used immediately to begin providing very high-quality visualization to customers, or super users in analytics-heavy departments can start creating their own visualization for their members. Setting up users is as easy as typing in their name and setting permissions is fairly intuitive, so it only takes a few minutes.

Cons

For developers there are several things that take a little while to wrap your head around. Retraining ourselves to simplify our queries will make our whole ETL process more maintainable in the future, but it is a paradigm shift that takes a little while.

Hands down the best value for money

Pros

The first impression (pre-sales traject) is awesome. The people at Dundas are very friendly and efficient. When you actually start using it, there is a lot that can be done out of the box, and Dundas helps you in many places to make your life easy. For most of the rest, you can extend it programmatically. Support is usually quite efficient, and there are a few great experts on the forum to get extra help. The price and licencing models are really good and client friendly, especially for small companies.

Cons

If you want to do something which doesn't fall within what Dundas expects you to do this becomes tricky quite fast (it is still doable most of the time, though). Everything in Dundas can be overridden in multiple places. It is as powerful as it is confusing.