Hotjar Logo

Hotjar

Behavior Analytics for any business selling online.

Hotjar Reviews - Page 3

Does what it needs to do

We are capturing feedback from our members right after they make a donation to our organization. This is a great way for us to know why our members support the organization. Being able to more accurately attribute them to individual members in our CRM would be very beneficial.

Pros

We are only using this tool for post transaction surveys. Creating a quick survey and linking it to a landing page is very quick and easy. There are no widgets to install, you simply feed the tool the landing page URL and it will link the survey to the page. When your user hits the page, a request that they take a survey pops up. You are given the option to perform the pop-up on page load or with a slight delay. I can set up a new survey and link to it in under 10 minutes - and I can clone other surveys (though it is a little difficult to find this option). The documentation is pretty well done and has been helpful.

Cons

The tool is not geared toward automation of the results. You can't edit a small typo in your questions, any changes and the tool automatically creates a new question and I believe deactivates the other. This means your results are now split into two columns. While I understand the logic behind this, there should be a way to simply edit a typo. I wish there was a way to have an internal name for the surveys so I can easily identify what and when I used a specific survey. I also wish there was a way to archive the results so that I am not reviewing already reviewed answers. I'm hoping there will be a more open api in the future so I could pass in an account id and pull the data directly from Hot Jar into my CRM.

Helps you improve website conversions

My experience has been great I have been able to identify opportunities and create solutions that work best for my business. Plus it helps me see what areas of my website are important to users. So they can get the most helpful information they need.

Pros

Hotjar is great software to help you maximize results for your website. You can set up heatmaps to see what the high performing areas of your website are. Ask users questions as they cruise your website, plus more!

Cons

So far I have no cons its a pretty straightforward program and the free options work great for any user.

An Incredible Tool for Tracking User Behaviour on a Website

Overall, amazing experience! Recommended to anyone who is into website optimisation, SEO, and technology!

Pros

The best part about this tool is it lets you see what your users are doing after landing on your website. Tools like Google Analytics, Adobe Analytics provides the best information on how you acquired the user but Hotjar shows you what the users are doing after coming through different channels! Webmasters use this data to analyse and fix the issues on their website. The implementation is easy and you can start collecting data from day 1.

Cons

Considering the number of benefits it has, its pricing is on a bit on the higher side. Also, I have used the Russian Tool - Yandex Metrica which provides the same amount of information for free. But if you have the budget, definitely go for it!

Hey there, Alex here from the Hotjar marketing team. Really happy to hear you're getting a lot of value from Hotjar! Thank you for the review.

HotJar - One of the Best Tool For Visual Tracking

If anyone ask me for Overall HotJar rating, it deserves 10 out of 10, first because of it's features and second if someone new and want to try hotjar they give 2000/views per day and i suppose it is fine for new website.

Pros

HotJar is one of the best software I have used for Visual Tracking of user. It gives me complete vision what my visitor are doing on my website, what is their behaviours that help me to improve that part of website. Also Hotjar has heatmaps feature that shows my most interacted part on my website by visitor. One of the best part in that make it unique is its funnel creation using form data. HotJar help me track data submitted on forms.

Cons

Yes, I faced one issue with HotJar and not resolve yet. HotJar forms funnels not work with Angular-JS website. It did't read form due to Angular server side loading, i hope team will fix it.

Powerful piece of kit

Very positive, would highly reccomend as a tool to improve site performance and to influence testing. Gives you key insights and analysis on the pain points of your site and can also add questionaire features which give invaluable information on how people find using your site.

Pros

Laden with features to help you better understand how users are interacting with your website to aid optimisations and CRO testing.

Cons

Against more expensive tools can feel like it lags behind in terms of UX, and the constant emails about trivial results can be tiresome to receive.

Hi Jonny, Thanks so much for taking the time to review us. Great to hear Hotjar has helped you better understand how your users behave on your site and improve your site by doing so. We are always working on improving our UX and are looking forward to some exciting updates in 2020. We are always open to suggestions for improvement, so if you haven't done so already, please submit a suggestion via your Hotjar account under 'Suggest a Feature'. Best, Denis from the Hotjar team

We use Hotjar to manage customer experience

Overall, Hotjar is a great tool to get necessary insights about customer use and journey.

Pros

The heatmap feature is critical and is something we use daily. The ability to quickly visualize how our website is being used is critical to refine it.

Cons

The level of data given about visitors can sometimes be a little lacking when compared to other competitors.

A solid marketing intelligence tool to accurately identity UX/UI issues!

There were some apps that were causing UX/UI issues but we were able to discover them quickly using the heatmaps feature to see where the pages have interacted with the most.

Pros

We were struggling to see why some of the pages had an abnormally higher bounce rate, using Hotjar's services we were able to pinpoint the issues caused because of UX/UI apps

Cons

All happy here with the product, the team is quite satisfied with the reports we have received from Hotjar and we're the progress filter through Google Analytics, so quite satisfied!

Hi Aman! Thanks so much for taking the time to review Hotjar - we appreciate it! It's great to hear you were able to fix your UX issues with the help of Hotjar insights. What would you like to see in Hotjar that'd make it easier to work with that would lead you to give us 5 stars for 'Ease of Use'? Would love to hear from you - feel free to write me back and share your thoughts. Best Alex from the Hotjar team

An effective tool for monitor your website's content and more!

I have been using HotJar in all my website projects to monitor user browsing activity.

Pros

I like the fact that this platform is easy to use and has a freemium offering. This provides a great ROI for us.

Cons

Customer support and implementation guidebooks are not that great and can be better highlighted. Also, I don't see any notifications about product updates and the latest trends.

Hotjar - Heatmaps Software Review

I've used 3 heatmap software using my own server and cloud hosted, but Hotjar is the best by far. The one i used that is server hosted gets a warning from services like Google Ads and Google Tag Manager.

Pros

Heatmaps, user recordings and polls are very easy to set up once your code is installed. By the way i recommend you install the tracking code using Google Tag manager which has a tag ready for hotjar, you only need to input your ID. Heatmaps are very useful when it comes to understand user behaviour and user experience. Also this software does not generate any warning from advertising networks and is 100% compliant with GDPR.

Cons

It automatically does not track 100% of traffic (but i think you can set up to track 100% traffic). Also sometimes is hard to go to see your settings if you have multiple business (eg: if you are and agency and your setting up heatmaps for your clients).

Helped me Understand users better

It is amazing product for tracking user journey and I would use it again on future products.

Pros

We used Hotjar in my company when we were working on a beta version of our product. It helped track what users were clicking on and areas they spent time on the most.

Cons

It was hard to differentiate the hotjar feedback widget from our existing comment form so some of our users left comments with the hotjar feedback widget.

Hey Magnus, Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review, we appreciate it and it's great to hear you will use Hotjar again on your future products! Thank you for the feedback too. Our suite of Feedback tools is something that we are currently working on and you can read more about our Product Updates here: https://www.hotjar.com/product-updates If you ever have any specific suggestions on how you feel that Feedback could be improved, feel free to use the Suggest a Feature button in your account. All the best, Kayleigh

You can't say you're "User centric" without using Hotjar!

Pros

- Recordings are great and can tell you a lot on where our users are having trouble - Heatmaps - teaches us where are they looking and what components are getting traction - Incoming feedback - THE BEST feature for interacting quickly with your customers (also very recommended to generate their responses to Zendesk) - Love using pools - you will be surprised how good it works if you ask the right question in the right time - Very responsive and professional customer support - Affordable business plan

Cons

- Advanced feature - link between recording ID to the Incoming feedback - this way you can match the feedback/complaint to the actual users' behavior on your site/product - The conversion funnel could be improved - Live chat could be a major plus (can potenialy replace intercom )

Great for customer insights

Pros

Ability to see where customers were interacting most with my pages and watch videos of their actual visits

Cons

Lack of more identifiable information (which is understood) prevents us from better assisting customers who had issues but may not have reached out to our customer service team. Also, having to manually restart capturing in increments of 1,000 / 2,000 visitors

Hey Elaine, Thanks so much for taking the time to review Hotjar. Great to read about the valuable insights you're getting from the tool! Following up your point about identifying customers - keep an eye on our roadmap for new functionality which will help with this: https://help.hotjar.com/hc/en-us/articles/115012303268-Product-Roadmap (There's a survey link on that roadmap page which asks about what kind of use you'd make of this functionality - if you have a minute, we'd love to get your thoughts) Many thanks and all best, Alex

Great Ecommerce Optimization Tool

Great heat-mapping tool that should be standard in any growth-driven ecommerce site.

Pros

Hotjar is a great heatmapping software that is easy to install, has great features, and a reasonable price point.

Cons

If you haven't used heatmaps before the software can be a bit difficult for new users to understand. It takes some time to get our team up to speed on all of the capabilities.

Hey Tyler, Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a review. It's great to hear you found Hotjar easy to install and consider it a standard part of driving growth :) Is there anything in particular that you found difficult as a new user or when training your team? We're always open for ideas and we'd love your feedback :) Best Kayleigh

Big Company Tools At Affordable Small Business Pricing!

This particular software is literally a major insight for me and how people use my site I love it!

Pros

The powerful thing about Hotjar is that it can track and record session when potential customers visit my site. What attracted me to Hotjar was noticing how many major companies that I follow and use in business have deployed Hotjar. It made me think along these lines instantly: Does it have a free trial? Is it affordable? Is it subscription based or do I have to purchase a license? I was able to say "yes" to all of these.

Cons

It was difficult for me to find any cons for this one. The only thing I can see for improvement is once the trial is ended, there is an option to continue with where I started or downgrade to free plan. Once I chose the option, a page says let's get started. It's a bit confusing because unless I notice on desktop the little green button pop up to the right that says plan changed successfully, I would have attempted to start over.

User Research Easy

It's a great tool for those working as a user experience designer or product manager, to implement a change and test through post-use analysis, understand product gaps and generate insights to create new features. It has helped us to implemented our onboarding process in the product.

Pros

We are using Hotjar in my company to do usage analysis of our product, we can know where the user is accessing, how long he has used the tool, what actions he has completed or not... it is a great tool for understanding how intuitive the our product is. The tool that we use most is the visitors recordings. We have the free version, and it record up to 100% of all accesses, and I can watch video at up to 4x speed, all within the hotjar platform itself.

Cons

It blocks all the sensitive data (like text, images, etc.), I understand that is for security of the users, but in the recordings gets a little hard to understand what the user is really doing. However, I can't say what is really negative about it (the biggest problem was finding out that our product is not as affordable as we expected), so I would need to investigate another competing tool.

Hey Vinicius, Thanks so much for reviewing Hotjar! We really appreciate it and it's great to hear that you are drawing so much value from the tool. To add some clarity on sensitive data, we anonymize personal data on Recordings to allow our customers to use Hotjar in a GDPR compliant manner. Best, Kayleigh

Click tracking made easy

Pros

The software is simple to use - easy to instal, setup and run experiments and analyse data

Cons

There are many products on the market that boast a significant difference - this is quite similar to many of the others

Hey there! Thanks so much for leaving us a review. Great to hear that you find Hotjar easy to use :) Best Alex

Really Helpful Insights

My overall experience with Hotjar is a really positive one. In my last role, I'd use it weekly to watch recordings of users' experiences with our landing pages to provide a more streamlined, frictionless experience. Hotjar was instrumental in A/B testing our social landing pages to increase our number of leads generated and with the data I gleaned from Hotjar, I was able to put up some of the best lead numbers on record for the company.

Pros

I used this software primarily to track visitors who engaged with social ads and landed on a landing page. It was extremely helpful to see things like: time on page, most viewed areas of the page, areas that were most clicked, how many form fields were filled in before abandonment etc. Hotjar's features were extremely helpful in optimizing landing pages to capture more leads' information

Cons

There's not a ton to dislike, but there's a bit of a learning curve (like anything else). Prior to using Hotjar, I had never really used any kind of website visitor tracking/recording service, so it took me a little bit of time to better understand what data points I should really be looking outdoor and how best to use it for optimization.

Free Plan is Great, Pro Plan is Better!

As an account strategist and an account manager at a marketing company, this conversation happens often. I'll suggest a website change to try and increase conversions and the client will say "why do I need this? my website is perfect!". Thanks to Hotjar, I can prove usability problems, show footage of potential customers getting stumped by an odd process or flow and give my client data where even they can see a change is necessary. It helps me perform better for my clients and helps provide something unique in terms of data that other agencies may not provide.

Pros

Hotjar is easy to use, easy to set up and pulls great data from your website on usability and conversion topics. At the very minimum for our clients, we set them up on a free plan where you can set up three heatmaps or other reports and 300 site recordings with a site that gets under 2,000 pageviews a day. The pro plan collects more data and more reports from higher traffic websites. Honestly, if you're not tracking these things, you're missing a huge opportunity!

Cons

It's tough to think of a disadvantage to HotJar or a problem I have with the software. It tracks critical data. The free plan is AWESOME and it's easy to implement and use.

Hi Amber, Alex here from Hotjar's marketing team. Thanks so much for taking the time to review us - we appreciate it! Reading your comments it's great to hear how useful Hotjar is for you in proving out user-driven improvements to impact conversion.

HotJar should always be included as part of any website. Not the best, but very little downside.

I always highly recommend HotJar as the first step in developing any tech stack. It's free, simple to implement and overall provides great insight into how users are navigating your website. On it's own, HotJar is rather limited but as part of a larger data strategy, it fits in perfectly.

Pros

Easy-to-use and provides immense value for it's cost (there's a free version for smaller companies). HotJar acts as a perfect complement to Google Analytics. Heatmapping and video recording provide a level of depth that Google Analytics can't provide and allows companies to truly understand their customers' experience.

Cons

Hotjar serves a very specific niche: the ability to better understand how a user navigates your website. It's hard to scale (there's a limited amount of video recordings you can have) and heatmaps only give you general, top-line insights.

Great conversion optimization tool!

It isn't free, but at the same time, it is worth the money. Easy to implement and the value is there for the cost.

Pros

I love Hotjar for the heatmaps, user session recordings, conversion funnels analysis, and the detailed analytics. This is a great tool to help make the analytical data come to life with visuals. You can record sessions and analyze them to them make adjustments for future visitors. Can't beat the great data that you get from this tool!

Cons

Good for understanding user behavior

HotJar is great for anyone who has a website and offers a paid monthly service and wants to improve the user experience. It's also cheaper than some other services we've used.

Pros

Hotjar helps you understand how your users interact with your website. I work at a SaaS and it has been very helpful in improving our UX/UI and also for customer support related tasks. We are able to confirm the actions a user makes when they complain about a feature of our website not working well.

Cons

Sometimes the videos lag when you watch user sessions. It seems you need to have a very good internet connection for the user sessions to load quickly, especially if you are watching more than one. Also, sometimes the most recent user session is not available until later. This is problem because when a user messages us with a problem and we want to view how he used our website right away, we can't confirm his actions right then and there, only after a few hours. But this is a minimal problem, since the primary function that Hotjar helps you with is improving overall UX/UI of your website.

Simple tool for strong insights

I use HotJar to gain insight into user behaviour within a content hub, where scroll depth is a major factor. The insights help power optimisations of blog pages and future content publication to maximise user engagement.

Pros

Very easy tool to pick up and master. Setting up heatmapping, screen recordings and surveys takes no more than a minute or two, and are very high-quality (including user location/company etc.)

Cons

Heatmapping can sometimes be fairly hit and miss on dynamic landing pages; Hotjar seem reluctant to acknowledge that these landing pages are commonplace and develop ways to mitigate false positives.

Hi Chris, Thank you for taking the time to Review Hotjar. We're happy to hear that you find Hotjar easy to set up and use, and that it is helping you to optimize your content. As for heatmap performance on certain kinds of dynamic pages, we're aware of the issues here and we're working on some big improvements. Check out the future direction of our analytics tools in our roadmap for more details: https://trello.com/c/toR6FRDf/120-%F0%9F%91%89future-direction-click-here We'd like to send you a small thank-you from us for your review. You can reach me at mike.cullen@hotjar.com and I'll share the details. Thanks, Mike

Easy to use solution to gain an insight into a website visitor's journey

I've used Hotjar for nearly two years now, and it has speeded up my website design processes and A-B decisions with real, actual client data. Now, instead of guessing, I can *see* what my client's like (and dont' like) about my site content at first hand - this has proved very useful for ongoing development.

Pros

The insights I get from this tool are incredible. It's easy to use, and provides me with detailed information on which elements of my site are working 'well' and which are underutilised. The 'video replay' function is the best feature for this.

Cons

It took me a while to figure out how to restart a 'snapshot' (i.e. period of recording) initially, but once I got sorted I was up and running again in no time.

Hi Rob, Thanks so much for taking the time to review Hotjar. It's great to hear that you're getting valuable insights about your users' behavior and what's working well on your site. If you could reach out to me at mike.cullen@hotjar.com, I'd like to send you something small as a thank you for your review. Cheers, Mike from Hotjar

A great heatmap solution to cover your basic needs

A great tool that allows us to capture heatmap data that is quick and easy to setup. Using the system is also very user-friendly. A worthy alternative to other solutions currently out there in the market.

Pros

It's easy to setup and use- especially since it's all done in the cloud. You'll start collecting data in minutes. Over time, we have been able to make actionable changes to our software's website homepage based on the click/hover insights generated by hotjar after months of activity.

Cons

They email you practically every day asking you to upgrade. I appreciate that they offer a variety of solutions at a relatively low price, but getting contacted regularly makes its a little overwhelming. I had to un-subscribe to receiving emails from hotjar to get peace of mind!

Great tool to get insights about users of your SaaS product

HotJar helps us to gather comprehensive analytics about how our users actually see our product. It helped us to identify several bottlenecks, that prevented our users from completing the initial configuration - and it helped us to increase adoption of the product during the first two weeks after registration!

Pros

- Session recordings - Built-in editor to show messages to your users - Built-in NPS survey editor - Great analytics reports

Cons

- Sometimes we need more flexibility on tuning the conditions to show pop-ups for surveys, etc, which Hotjar does not provide.

Hi Max, Thanks so much for taking the time to review Hotjar. It's great to hear that you're getting such valuable insights about your users with Recordings, Polls, NPS surveys, etc. I would be interested to hear more about your requirement to tune the conditions to show Polls on your site. Could it potentially be solved by passing more user attributes to Hotjar and targeting on that basis? https://www.hotjar.com/updates/en/introducing-user-attributes-better-targeting-in-hotjar-feedback-tools?role=s_KJTTXGrm653%3Bs_eVgAZqkJ654%3Bs_pJcjHVwD740 I'd also like to send you a small thank you for your feedback. Please get in touch with me [mike.cullen@hotjar.com] and I will send you the details. Thanks, Mike