Hotjar Logo

Hotjar

Behavior Analytics for any business selling online.

Hotjar Reviews - Page 5

A must have tool for User Experience Analysts

UX plays a very important role for performance marketing and Hotjar is a brilliant tool which helps in collecting user behaviour data to do analysis and take corrective measures. Screen recordings is a great tool to understand why users are spending time on your website and why other are exiting the website without taking the intended action. A/B tests of website UX can be done in a very efficient manner using Hotjar.

Pros

The simplicity of implementation was the main thing that impressed me the most. Heat maps of user behavior on your sites is a critical input to any organization's digital strategy. Hotjar easily collects this data for quick visual analysis.

Cons

Integration with website analytics is important. We report all our numbers with our analytics tools but Hotjar's analysis has to be presented separately due to this issue.

Cheap but powerful tool

Pros

Hotjar is very simple but powerful tool. After implementing 2 line codes, immediately we created customer polls and shared results with executives.

Cons

I really love this product. I couldn't find anything negative to tell. Only there were some little problems with iframes.

Super helpful tool for heatmaps that you need!

Pros

Hotjar is a super helpful tool that helps you understand your website visitors and their behavior. With Hotjar you can set up and track heatmaps, clickmaps and scroll maps of any page of your website. Furthermore, you can set up funnels and see where visitors leave your website and identify problems. But the best and for me the most useful feature is visitor recording - Hotjar records the behavior of your website visitors and lets you watch it as videos. This is just BRILLIANT! I cannot imagine my work without this tool. It also has a nice free version so you don't need to pay for it to get results.

Cons

The price of paid accounts is quite significant but you can do wonderfully with the free version. There is nothing I would criticize here honestly.

Fantastic tool for marketers and web developers!

Great tool for marketers and web developers - highly recommend. Easy to setup and free version available!

Pros

- Great for marketers and web developers in that it shows you true behaviour analytics of your websites visitors i.e. user heatmapping, recordings, form analysis and more. - Really easy to setup and interpret the data. - Free version available.

Cons

There isn't really anything that I don't like about. I wish there the free version allowed you to setup more heatmaps etc, but this is available with the paid versions.

Hey Danielle! So great to read that you love Hotjar, and find it an awesome and easy tool to set up and understand the data you are looking at. I love how you mention that Hotjar shows you the "true behaviour analytics of your website visitors"! Thats exactly what we hope to be able to do. Thanks again for your kind comments (I have shared with the company!) Bee @ Hotjar

Multi Functional

Overall this product was really useful and allowed us to make informed decisions regarding our website strategy and effectively communicate recommendations to our clients.

Pros

As a Hotjar user, I was really impressed with how versatile this software was. It allowed us to better understand how people move around our website and what areas were creating issues for our users. It allowed us to easily explain these problems to our clients and were an effective tool in the Growth Driven Design Process. We also used it when launching new sites. Videos allowed us to see what our clients were getting hung up while on the site making it easy to understand what changes needed to be made or what areas were causing them headaches. I did not set up our Hotjar accounts so I don't know what level of expertise is required but it seemed straighforward.

Cons

Hotjar is not equipped to analyze all forms and increased load times on some sites.

Amazing Product! Almost Like Magic!

Overall, I have no complaints. It does what it says it does.

Pros

I love the heatmap function that allows us to see how users interact with our site.

Cons

I wish the video function was more functional.

Hey Nathan, Thanks so much for your review! It's great to hear that our tool works like magic. ('almost' ) Would love to know a bit more about what you mean with making the video function more functional - all product feedback is taken onboard, so please feel free to reach back. Best Alex

Does exactly as it says

Pros

Very easy to use and great customer support.

Cons

Integration to landing pages can be a bit tricky sometimes.

Hi Michael, Thanks for taking the time to review Hotjar. I'm glad to hear that you found our software easy-to-use and you had a very positive experience with our customer support. I'd like to send you a small thank-you from us for your review. You can reach me at mike.cullen@hotjar.com and I'll share the details. Cheers, Mike from Hotjar

Helpful UX tool for webpages

We've been able to evidence UX decisions to stakeholders: it's very handy when you need data to back up an intuition about, e.g., moving a button on a webpage.

Pros

It's incredibly easy to implement and to set up new pages for evaluation. We use the heatmap tool most often, but the video capture is also very useful. It's great when you want to A/B test web pages, or evidence a decision to stakeholders. The 'freemium' product licensing is also a bonus: try before you buy.

Cons

This product is exactly what it says it is. It's not going to replace user testing or Google Analytics, but it's a very handy adjunct to those tools.

Best tool to record your customer interactions

Pros

You can easily track your customer interactions about any page of your website. You can easily track if anything wrong on your checkout process.

Cons

You can't relate or connect the recording with customer signups.

Great way to see what your customers are doing

Pros

Simple to install, just one line of code and you get to see what your clients are doing on the site and interact with visitors with polls and surveys. Every mouse movement, click, and text they enter (other than passwords and credit card data of course!) I like being able to watch the recordings of what clients are doing on our site so we can improve our UI/UX.

Cons

I actually had to stop using HotJar for about a year when we switched our site over to a more dynamic, single-page application (SPA) using VueJS. HotJar had a known issue where it wouldn't track or record my visitor's behavior (since it was a SPA site), so I cancelled the service for a while. But thankfully they (finally) added that feature and the recordings works again.

The story of the little software that could...do everything!

We never have time to spend setting up other software to understand how our users are navigating our website, but with hotjar, the simplicity allows us to make it happen.

Pros

Hotjar has the features that a small business website manager needs but only could get by paying a ton for eight separate products. Each feature is easy to use and understand.

Cons

I would love to see more integrations, specifically with Zapier so we can automatically export reports into different systems, or for other uses.

Hey Joe! Thanks so much for taking the time to review us! It's great to see that you're getting a lot of value from our tool :) Wanting to follow your feedback on integrations - we love taking onboard requests (they play a huge part in what we build next!) so please feel free to tell us what you need. Best place for that is in-app via 'Suggest a Feature'. All best, Alex

Excelente programa

Nuestra experiencia en general ha sido muy positiva y el programa lo utilizamos con asiduidad en cada una de nuestras campañas.

Pros

Utilizamos mucho Hotjar para analizar el resultado de nuestras campañas. Uno de los puntos más fuertes son los mapas de calor que podemos crear para analizar el comportamiento del usuario en una landing Page o en el sitio web. Otro punto que nos encanta es que permite grabar al usuario, sin recopilar sus datos, es una función muy interesante para ver qué acciones realizan los usuarios en nuestra web.

Cons

En lo referente a analizar en detalle el comportamiento de un usuario una vez que ingresa a nuestra web es un programa excelente y no tenemos puntos negativos para mencionar. Quizás como punto en contra podríamos decir que le faltan más funciones para ser un programa más completo, ya que esta únicamente limitado al análisis del comportamiento del usuario.

Showing original review in Spanish. See translation

Gives User Feedback Quickly

For a business that is only using GA, Hotjar adds a new layer of customer behavioral data.

Pros

This was very easy to install on our Shopify Plus website, and it didn't take long to start seeing the data. The user recordings are fascinating and you can easily spend hours watching these recordings. They were really helpful in seeing where customers were getting confused with our header and main nav, and we were able to use this information when making changes to these sections on the site.

Cons

The heatmaps get repetitive after a while, it's a safe bet that everyone is going to hang out above the fold of a page most of the time. I would love to see how Hotjar could help us leverage this information, or provide something above and beyond a basic heatmap.

Track website visitors behavior

Valuable behavior data and visuals that provided evidence on how we should make necessary changes to improve our website.

Pros

The heatmaps were great to see where our visitors were clicking and moving about throughout the site. We made website changes based on their behavior to enhance user experience. When we noticed people weren't scrolling past the fold of our homepage, so we implemented different tactics and design to get them to scroll further down the page. Surveys were also helpful in finding out where our visitors were coming from. We placed them in our most popular pages for feedback.

Cons

There was no integration available to our existing CRM or email platform that would feed all the data and analytics Hotjar was collecting into our system.

Powerful Tool If You Can Afford It.

Pros

The tagging and sorting features of the video recordings made for getting to "true insights" faster. Additionally just the video recording tool has lead us to major insights that if not for the video I don't know if we would have found. We found a "hole" in one of our conversion funnels early on that we wouldn't have caught if not watching a couple dozen videos at the begin of our launch.

Cons

The price is very expensive for "small" analysis projects.

Hi Chris, Thanks a lot for taking the time to review Hotjar. It's great to hear that you discovered some major insights and fixed a 'hole' in your conversion funnel as a result of using Hotjar. As for pricing for smaller projects, please bear in mind that we have a 'free forever' plan designed for those who are just starting out. If you have a much higher traffic site, then you may need a Plus or Business plan, but the ROI will be very strong if it's helping your to increase conversion rates on your site. You can review our latest pricing here: https://www.hotjar.com/pricing/ I'd like to send you a small thank-you for your review. You can reach me at mike.cullen@hotjar.com and I'll share the details. Cheers, Mike from Hotjar

Excellent product - a little pricey for my liking

Excellent piece of software - would be even better if it were priced a little lower.

Pros

- It's very easy to use and implement - Provides really powerful data - Has the ability to play video recordings of customer navigation

Cons

- Fairly glitchy at times (some pages wouldn't load - videos would freeze) - I haven't used it for almost a year, but when I was, I recall the script being a bit heavy (slowed down loading time)

Hey Datis, Appreciate you leaving us a review - thank you! And it's great to hear you've found the insights in Hotjar useful. Regarding load speed - have you already checked out this guide? https://help.hotjar.com/hc/en-us/articles/115009335727-Will-Hotjar-Slow-Down-My-Site- Would love to hear more about your experience and what you feel about price:value - feel free to write me back. Best Alex from the Hotjar team

A Standard Tool in the Toolbelt

Hotjar continues to be a standard part of our discovery process.

Pros

Gives great insight into a current site's usability as well as what users are most interested in on the site. Gives good insight into restructuring a site for improving user experience.

Cons

Sometimes it can be challenging to get events recorded. Refer to their Troubleshooting page to get answers to most issues.

Hey there Alex here from the Hotjar Marketing team Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review, we appreciate it! It's also great to hear Hotjar's giving you the usability insights you need to improve experience. Happy to hear that you were able to effectively troubleshoot your issue with Recordings... If you're pressed on time and ever need a hand, our team is ready and waiting to help you out :) Reach out at support@hotjar.com. All the best, Alex

Cool web analytics service

Pros

HotJar, analogue of Google Analytics, allows you to understand the needs of the audience. The service collects statistics on users, keeps track of their behavior. With the help of the service, we were able to optimize the performance of our website and increase its conversion.

Cons

I have not found any disadvantages: we have been using the service for two years already.

Simple and easy to use tools for understanding how users interact with our site

When we used Hotjar, it fit our needs perfectly - we needed an affordable piece of software that would help us understand trends in user interaction on the site and help us redesign accordingly.

Pros

The heat maps immediately let us know what was being interacted with on our site - and what was being totally ignored. This helped us optimize the site experience for our customers.

Cons

You won't get all the bells and whistles of other software providers - but if you're just starting out or don't want to spend a lot, the service can't be beat.

Hi, Thank for taking the time to review Hotjar. It's good to hear that you found Hotjar helpful in optimizing your website. If you want to reach out to me at sharon.biggar@hotjar.com, I'd like to send you a small thank you for your review. Cheers, Sharon from Hotjar

Essential for understanding how people use your website

Hotjar saves time and money that could result on guessing what changes are needed on a web page to improve customer experience and increase conversions. This solution provides data that you need to make informed decisions going forward.

Pros

Hotjar will provide you with valuable insights as to how visitors interact with your website. The information you gather from this software will save you time guessing and resources on designing your website to garner results. It is easy to use and generates data quickly.

Cons

There are difficulties in some cases with adding the script to a website via Google Tag Manager or even installing the script to the header. The verification does not always work and takes a number of attempts to work.

Flawless UX software - highly recommended for heatmaps and session reviews

HotJar has lead the way with providing UX software that works really well, and at a great price point. If you want to find usability issues in your site (where users struggle, and how to really improve the design of your site) then HotJar's heatmaps and session review tools will massively help you achieve this.

Pros

This software works flawlessly. It's quick and simple to setup and use. It's only when you use alternative software that's slower and clunkier, that you realise quite how smooth and awesome HotJar is! They are very very good at meeting GDPR compliancy.

Cons

1. The survey must sit in the corner of your web page. I'd like the option for a big intrusive one. A large (intrusive) modal window that overlays the current page would massively increase survey response rate - required for smaller sites. 2. The survey feature doesn't adhere to all accessibility guidelines, such as the ability to tab through the functionality and use it with only the keyboard.

UX Design Gets a Major Boost

Hotjar makes it easy to understand how users use your site, allowing you to improve the user experience.

Pros

The hardest part of using Hotjar was setting up it up in Tag Manager, meaning this is super easy to use! If you want an easy-to-use program that helps you better understand how users engage with your site, this is it. Aside from the heatmaps, the user records helps to provide more context to the user experience. Both are extremely easy to implement, use and then analyze.

Cons

To be truthful, this is the first heatmap software I've used beyond the free version. There isn't a lot left to be desired with Hotjar. No issues, no bugs and the dashboard is easy to navigate.

To Better Understand the user of your web page, with the screen recordings and additional data

Hotjar is a really useful service, can understand the user action better by seeing their screen recordings,

Pros

Hotjar records the user screen of your web product while its been used & will be stored on hotjar server, using this you can analyse the user experience and their pain point and improve upon your product accordingly, and it also captures additional datas that can be used for analytics , videos have a speed play mode so that you don't wast lots of time on watching them

Cons

it dose its thing, but can't go through all the videos if you have a large user base, i think the network usage at the user end will be more since their screen recording has to be uploaded to Hotjar server

Really great for a specific subset of research.

So far we have been able to tell a lot about UI/ UIX from our microsites.

Pros

The setup is pretty simple without very much technical knowledge and the process of designing workflows is very customizable.

Cons

I wish there was a bit more you could do in terms of data collection in a survey format on top of what is already there.

Hi Anon Thank you so much for leaving a review, we read every single one and really appreciate your feedback. Great to hear you find HJ easy to set up, with customizable workflows. With regards to doing a bit more on data collection in survey format, could you perhaps giv me an example? Would love to look into this further. thanks! Bee @ Hotjar

Simply the best

Good, great! Simple, intuitive, result oriented and reliable!

Pros

Yes, they are simply the best. Simple but the best. Nothing fancy but it works! Their design somehow looks simple, but many visitor fill the form

Cons

Nothing I can say, maybe one... they are costly when upgrade to the more premium plan. Hope they have low budget plan