Hotjar Logo

Hotjar

Behavior Analytics for any business selling online.

Hotjar Reviews - Page 6

UX Design Gets a Major Boost

Hotjar makes it easy to understand how users use your site, allowing you to improve the user experience.

Pros

The hardest part of using Hotjar was setting up it up in Tag Manager, meaning this is super easy to use! If you want an easy-to-use program that helps you better understand how users engage with your site, this is it. Aside from the heatmaps, the user records helps to provide more context to the user experience. Both are extremely easy to implement, use and then analyze.

Cons

To be truthful, this is the first heatmap software I've used beyond the free version. There isn't a lot left to be desired with Hotjar. No issues, no bugs and the dashboard is easy to navigate.

To Better Understand the user of your web page, with the screen recordings and additional data

Hotjar is a really useful service, can understand the user action better by seeing their screen recordings,

Pros

Hotjar records the user screen of your web product while its been used & will be stored on hotjar server, using this you can analyse the user experience and their pain point and improve upon your product accordingly, and it also captures additional datas that can be used for analytics , videos have a speed play mode so that you don't wast lots of time on watching them

Cons

it dose its thing, but can't go through all the videos if you have a large user base, i think the network usage at the user end will be more since their screen recording has to be uploaded to Hotjar server

Really great for a specific subset of research.

So far we have been able to tell a lot about UI/ UIX from our microsites.

Pros

The setup is pretty simple without very much technical knowledge and the process of designing workflows is very customizable.

Cons

I wish there was a bit more you could do in terms of data collection in a survey format on top of what is already there.

Hi Anon Thank you so much for leaving a review, we read every single one and really appreciate your feedback. Great to hear you find HJ easy to set up, with customizable workflows. With regards to doing a bit more on data collection in survey format, could you perhaps giv me an example? Would love to look into this further. thanks! Bee @ Hotjar

Simply the best

Good, great! Simple, intuitive, result oriented and reliable!

Pros

Yes, they are simply the best. Simple but the best. Nothing fancy but it works! Their design somehow looks simple, but many visitor fill the form

Cons

Nothing I can say, maybe one... they are costly when upgrade to the more premium plan. Hope they have low budget plan

Easy way to get heat maps and collect feedback

It has enabled us to better understand what appeals to visitors on our web pages, how far they are prepared to scroll, and other useful information that has helped guide optimization work which has generally created better performing pages and page elements.

Pros

Initially the best feature for me was the ability to learn exactly what website visitors are drawn to on web pages via heat maps. We recently started using visitor feedback features to replace a more expensive solution and have found Hotjar also gives us everything we need in this respect.

Cons

No particular issues. It can sometimes take a while to collect enough data to create a heat map on pages that don't attract a high volume of traffic, but that's just my impatience and not a product issue. :)

Best Website Heatmaps tool

HotJar is simple to set up and use with a fair price

Pros

Hotjar is super easy to install and easy to use. I love the tools that get straight to the point and help you do your job

Cons

There isn't something that I don't really like about HotJar. Maybe it could include some extra features that other tools do but for me it's enough

This is a great way to interact with potential customers

Easily obtain information from your customers automatically.

Pros

I like the polls feature and the heat maps the most. It provides such valuable data about our customers' behavior and helps us make decisions about design and layout of the website. We also are able to easily gather survey data to help us understand our buyer personas and develop content to specifically target those individuals. We've even transitioned from gathering data to trying to nudge customers to other pages using the polling feature. It's been very successful and we've only begun to tap into this potential.

Cons

I feel like some of the features are limited in a sense. For instance, I would love the polling feature to allow us to put links or buttons within the poll. Then we could push the customers to the exact pages we want them to go to after they respond to the survey.

Offers very valuable information for ecommerce

For several clients of the agency, we use the tool to make decisions regarding payment processes within ecommerce and navigation in general.

Pros

It is a tool that is easily integrated into the pages (especially with access to GTM). The recordings are confidential (and they take it seriously) and as an analyst it gives you detailed information on how users browse your site. It also has heatmaps and scrollmaps. The free version lets you see enough information to convince yourself to pay the tool.

Cons

For each recording, it would be ideal to add more information without having to see them all complete, it would optimize the analyst's work much more. It has a lot of potential that has not yet been discovered

Good solution to track user's behavior on the website

We use Hotjar mostly for heatmaps, I think it's one of the best ways to visualize this kind of reports. Also, it's very useful to check how users respond to new designs of our webpages.

Pros

- Very powerful heatmaps. You can view not only the user's clicks, but also scroll map and move map and filter them by device. Also you can share them without giving full acsess to the account - Recordings. Hotjar can record and show what user did on the website, you can create complex filters with UTM tags and URL of the page. Conveniently, you can tag recordings, so you can select the most interesting videos to check them later - Sales funnel analytics. You can track conversions on every step of your funnel - Forms analytics. You can understand what field in your form is your loss of conversion

Cons

- You can track custom events and filter recordings using them - Sales funnel can be built only using filtering in URLs - Very limited on free account

Hi Roman, Thanks for taking the time to review Hotjar. It's great to hear that you're getting so much value out of our Heatmaps tool and using it to see how your users respond to new webpage designs. If you want to reach out to me directly [mike.cullen@hotjar.com], I'd like to send you a small thank you gift. Best, Mike

Good platform for basic polls, surveys. heatmaps and recordings

This is a low cost, entry-level product if you're looking for something to get some basic user data from.

Pros

Love the ability to quickly and easily create polls on a page to gain information from website visitors. The scrollmaps are nice too, it's great to be able to see how far people are scrolling on a page.

Cons

This isn't an 'always on' product. You have to manually set up the pages you want to track and it will only track them for a certain number of page views. Also, they will sample your data if you have a momentary usage spike, even if your overall monthly page views are still within the plan you paid for. It's also not super easy to find the exact behavior you're looking for in the recordings.

Excellent Tool

We love it and use it everyday.

Pros

The tracking is amazing. The tool is very easy to use. The price is reasonable.

Cons

The pricing tiers could be a bit easier for small businesses.

Great companion tool for A/B testing

Fantastic product with more robust tools that others I've tried.

Pros

I was able to get extremely granular with the data. I could record sessions and even monitor what content on a page people skipped over. This insight allowed me to actually see in certain cases where we were losing as much as 10% of revenue each month due to broken processes on the site.

Cons

I wish it had more sophisticated URL importing. For large sites it's a very manual process. Bulk upload would help tremendously.

best tool for user session recording

Pros

What I love about Hotjar is no problem with generated cached CSS files. This may seem normal, but other services have problems. I'm talking for example about PrestaShop, CS-Cart or even WordPress with caching addon. They all generate random-named CSS files. When you modify CSS or just generate a new one the previous disappears and other tools show playback without correct CSS, so you can imagine how bad it looks. Hotjar works fine.

Cons

Some adblocking browser addons know hotjar and they block it.

One of the best onboarding I ever saw with great product.

We found critical bugs and errors while we were looking through our recording that greatly increased customer experience and increased our conversion rate every time.

Pros

It is awesome that you can set up Hotjar in a number of minutes. I was a Founding Member back in the early beta and Hotjar was just a love at first sight. If you would like to understand and test how your users behave on your site or in your App you cant skip Hotjar.

Cons

I can't say anything about this. For what we use Hotjar it severs us 100%. They have built a rock solid product.

Amazing tool for heat mapping your sites

I use Hotjar to understand my website's visitors and it really works great. The installation process was very smooth and easy and now I can have a ton of information right in Hotjar user-friendly dashboard.

Pros

What I really like about Hotjar is how easily you can set it up at first, how easily you can get familiar with the dashboard and the huge list of tools it provides to really understand your website visitors - audience.

Cons

Until now Hotjar seems to be a rockstar solution for heatmapping. It also has a really cool free plan, I really can't find something I don't like about Hotjar.

Thank you for this amazing review! Send me an email [louis@hotjar.com] and I'll send you a little something...

Awesome tool for monitoring user experience

We have vastly improved the experience of our users and they spend more time on our site and complete actions we wanted them to complete for a long time

Pros

The tool was super easy to install, literally couple of minutes. And shortly after I was able to start seeing the first user session recordings. Super useful - you get enough info on the user is, device, location, etc along with recording of his session. It took only couple of weeks everyday watching of recordings and improvements on the website accordingly to achieve considerably better user experience. Like the free trial with no card required to sign up.

Cons

So far all seems super easy. The pricing is a bit steep though so we may need to resort to using a lower package

Reliable and Accurate

Easy software and great support. Haven't had an issue.

Pros

Easy to use and the results can be filtered in seconds.

Cons

More features would be nice but overall not real cons.

Interesting insights

Overall I like the product it would recommend it to other but just wish there was a little more flexibility on defining the traffic sources you want to monitor.

Pros

I like that you have the ability to record users interactions with your website and also do a heat map of the sections or pages of your website that are most interacted with. Setting up the experiments if really easy and the information is helpful.

Cons

It doesn't allow you to link it to specific campaigns or traffic sources coming into your website. For me it would be helpful to see what people are doing from specific campaigns I have launched and compare their behavior maybe across platforms.

Hey Renee Thank you so much for your wonderful 5* review - this makes us very happy :) WRT this: "It doesn't allow you to link it to specific campaigns or traffic sources coming into your website. For me, it would be helpful to see what people are doing from specific campaigns I have launched and compare their behavior maybe across platforms." I feel your pain; being a marketer myself! One thing I can say is; stay tuned - something could be coming soon which is really going to make you happy :) Until then check out the ability to add referral urls to Recordings here https://www.hotjar.com/blog/product-updates/advanced-filters-recordings Thanks Bee

Amazing product, solves a real problem that business owners do not ever realize exits!

- Getting insights into user behavior - Making some great UI/UX changes to optimize the website using Hotjar's results - Insight into consumer psychology

Pros

Hotjar gives eye opening insights into customer behavior. A few features that we extensively use include: 1. Recordings: This truly helps in understand how customer behaves and how cart drop rates can be minimized. 2. Heatmaps: Over a period of time heatmaps give you a great detail about general pattern of visitors which has helped us take some big decisions in UI/UX.

Cons

Not a lot of cons, the software does as value to the business. Just one would be that the video player can be improved as it sometimes makes the browser slow.

Great (if you know what you're doing)

Overall a great product, Hotjar is a nice and easy way to see your site via your users eyes (and clicks).

Pros

Hotjar is a fantastic tool for visual site analytics, letting you follow the user flow on page. The recording are crystal clear and you can speed them up a bit if you feel like. The pricing is also great, even though the free plan is still ok to use. Overall, the service is great and really helps to see how people use your site.

Cons

While I like Hotjar a lot, it can hit you site with a certain speed and performance downgrade. So keep that in mind if your aiming for a perfect score in Google speed test. Also, connecting the service wasn't that easy the first time around (but that mostly because of the specific issues our site had).

Hi, Thank you for taking the time to review Hotjar. It's great to hear that you are finding the product useful for visual site analytics. Sounds like our recordings feature has been particularly useful. I am really glad to hear that. If you're having trouble with site speed we recommend checking out this resource about how the Hotjar script works. Feel free to reach out to us via the support link on that page if we can be of help! https://help.hotjar.com/hc/en-us/articles/115009335727-Will-Hotjar-Slow-Down-My-Site- Thanks again Sharon

Get deep insights on your product in an instant

Pros

- Ridiculously easy integration - adding a few lines of code will immediately link your webpage with Hotjar - The recordings are an endless pool of quantitative feedback, allowing us to iterate fast - The non-paid version is a great option for startups which are still bootstraping

Cons

- That is actually a huge one: it's impossible to link between recordings and user feedback. This prevents me from better understanding what led the user to actually submit the feedback in the first place

Highly flexible and robust solution

On a high level the experience has been very positive, from the initial stages of set up and onboarding, and the user adoption process from that point forward has been a very smooth and easy process. The overall feedback I have gotten from my fellow users who I work with has been very positive.

Pros

The user interface and customizations with reporting, heat maps and data visualizations are very strong and comprehensive and I really find the overall tool set very useful for the marketing teams that I work with.

Cons

The breadth and amount of user support and help documentation online can be somewhat limited and getting answers to precise support questions can be difficult at times.

Beta Tester To Paid User

Pros

I love how simple it makes things, the user interface is clean.

Cons

Their script loads a little slow at times, they need to optimize their CDN.

Excellent CRO and UX tool for large business or enterprise

Valuable insights which are highly important for enterprise level websites where every small detail and percentile gain makes a difference.

Pros

For teams that have the resources to spend time on eking out UX and CRO gains, this is an important tool. Relatively easy to install via Google Tag Manager, and plenty of features to gain valuable user data such as heat maps and screen recording.

Cons

Can impact some SEO metrics by adding additional layers to page loading, as well as altering cumulative layout shift when activated.

Great site usability insights tool

A great option for understanding how users navigate and read your site to improve their experience and conversion.

Pros

Site usability analytics has never been easier. The tools that Hotjar provides are easy to setup and use. The dashboard with all reports and recordings are easily available and the insight are well-worth the asking price.

Cons

Like most software of its kind, there are natural limitations to what Hotjar can record and what it can not. However, page height limitations are a bit too strict.

Thanks for taking the time to review Hotjar. It's great to hear that you are getting valuable insights. We appreciate your feedback regarding limitations - we are always working to improve Hotjar. If you would like to provide more detail on what you would like to see improved, you can do so under 'Suggest a Feature' from within your Hotjar account and our product team will pick it up. Thanks, Mike