Microsoft Power BI Logo

Microsoft Power BI

BI visualization and reporting for desktop, web or mobile

Microsoft Power BI Reviews

4.5

How would you rate Microsoft Power BI?

Pros

It's an incredible programming for examination. I love the perception highlights since it transform drilling information into fun outlines or diagrams.

Milind D.

The ability to filter to the specific metric we are interested in is an amazing feature.

Cons

Could be frustrating to use when first starting as it would give you an error message but provide no specifics on what is wrong or directions to fix it.

YZ

Yang Z.

I find it a bit frustrating when presented with a visualisation that doesn't represent the particular angle on the data I am looking for.

DS

Daniel S.

Had to take some training courses and even at that it was still confusing.

KJ

Kyle J.

Elwin W.

Strategic Sales Analyst

Consumer Goods, 11-50 employees

Has helped bring the organization to another level

Transcript

Owen W.: I'm Owen. I'm a data analyst in the retail industry, and I give Power BI a four out of five....

There are plenty of competitors, but Power BI is tops

Transcript

Andrew B.: Hi, my name is Andrew and I am an SEO manager in the IT field. I would give Power BI a four...

A great and friendly BI tool... if you use the Microsoft suite

Pros

Doing basic stuff is really easy, the connectors it has let you pull data very easily. As long as you don't need to do a lot of transformations, most beginner users will be able to generate a report without much hassle. For advanced Excel users, DAX will feel like a logical next step and they should be able to do stuff without having to suffer a lot in the process.

Cons

It is very memory intensive. This is to be expected as it consumes data from multiple sources, but at times it feels a bit sloppy when the PC starts crashing a lot of applications. Seems to be closely tied with Edge, which will always crash at the same time as Power BI.

Reporting with Power BI

I have been working with this tool for a couple of years now, daily. It is great for the reporting, and we have created amazing reports for Management and the team in general. Very easy to explain metrics, with the reports created.

Pros

It's free version is very powerful. We can create any report we need, has a lot of data sources and even can create subscription for sending the reports automatically.

Cons

So far, the only issue I have found is when there are relation on different conditons for the same visual. It can separate and is hard to achive the result.

A pretty reporting tool for some (!) Microsoft Products, but pretty much useless outside of the Microsoft Landscape

In light of the hype around this "Tableau destroyer" in recent months, I want to highlight some fundamental flaws in data connectivity and reports maintenance of Power BI, which the Product Team so far has turned down as "not in scope". In practice, though, this renders Power BI pretty useless for getting dara from any 3rd party products, in the cloud in particular. This review reflects Power BI...

Pros

pretty visuals Power Query On-premises Data Gateway responsible Pro Support

Cons

lack of data sources pretty useless for 3rd Party Web Sources

All in one handy and swift tool

One of the main features that helped me to address my problem is that all the files I have analyzed so far, I can find them in one software in the form of different dashboards and present them anywhere required. Also, two show the interdependency of multiple visualizations, this tool has been a savior.

Pros

The best part about this software is that I can publish all the results after the data analysis and access it anywhere as long as the internet is working. I can even download the data set which I would have cleaned to create my visualizations.

Cons

I am still exploring it and have not found any significant limitations yet.

A fantastic,outstanding and remarkable experience with Microsoft Power BI.

It's simple to build data visualization. Ability to discover and explore data.

Pros

It's simple to collect and process data with Microsoft Power BI. It's possible to analyze complex datasets using this tool. Allows me to make data-driven decisions.

Cons

I got nothing in particular that I dislike about Microsoft Power BI,It's performance is excellent.

Power BI - One of the best Data Visualization tool

Overall experience has been amazing. Even after having multiple data sources, we were able to connect with all of them and create amazing insightful dashboards.

Pros

A lot of insightful charts with great visual experience can be created with ease.

Cons

Nothing as such, I have been mostly happy with the overall product

Microsoft Power BI is the game-changer to effective data analysis and BI.

Data discovery. Ease to explore and understand business data.

Pros

It's a reliable tool that let's me to analyze a s visualize big data. With this tool it's possible to make data-driven decisions.

Cons

I haven't encountered any constraints with Microsoft Power BI.

powerbi

Pros

It has many more features than Excel and is easier to perform hypotheses and analysis.

Cons

It is slow and data management is somewhat complex

This review was translated from Spanish. Read original review

Best Reporting & Visualization Tool

Pros

I liked the connectivity which it provides through gateways, we can connect and create visuals easily with the power bi. Sharing with multiple people is also great.

Cons

It comes with the cost when we try to use the advance sharing , visualization creation features etc.

Microsoft Power BI - Tool for reports

Pros

Microsoft Power BI is one of the greatest tool for reporting & data visualization. It has so many features which makes our work faster. It can do hours of tasks in minutes. It has made life easier during MEC.

Cons

Every tool has some area of improvement. With power BI it takes more time with non Microsoft applications.

Power BI ; Affordable Data Visualization Tool

It is an affordable software that enables us to consolidate our data, generate reports while keeping track of all the key performance indicators.

Pros

It is a good data analytics and visualization software and its ability to import data from multiples sources is a great feature. What I like about Power BI is that from the dashboard, we are able to get a great overview of the organization including the market analysis, the status of our current deals, track the performance of each team member, view the gross income and company financials. The ability...

Cons

It can be a bit complex due to the fact that it is a collection of various tools and you have to learn what each component does and how it relates to the rest of the structure. Working with large data sets causes lags especially when on the free version. The free version has very limited features and doesn't give you the true performance capability of the software. This can however be solved by upgrading to Pro or Premium. The user interface is a bit crowded with too many icons which hinders a clear view of the dashboard.

Moderate cost for a moderate experience for medium sized enterprises

So so. The dashboards and reports are limited in visual design, so they all look the same and quite ugly. Because of the difficulty sharing reports/dashboards to external individuals and the lack of a Google sheets connector I couldn't use PowerBI for most of the solutions we need, but will use it for some since it integrates well with the rest of the MS office ecosystem.

Pros

The thing that most sets PowerBI apart from comparable business intelligence solutions is the lower cost of multi-user deployment within an organization. PowerBI is part of a Microsoft Office 365 subscription package for businesses and you only need to pay an additional 15USD/month for each additional admin/analyst account you add. This is a stark contrast to similar solutions like Tableau, which charge a monthly fee for each user and has a minimum user count that equates to roughly a 15,000USD/year license cost as minimum. If your organisation is already invested in the Microsoft Office ecosystem this could be the ideal solution for you if you need to keep costs down.

Cons

It can't connect to google sheets and every other business intelligence platform can. This can be really limiting if your business uses a variety of SaaS solutions since many offer the simplest data integration options via Google sheets. PowerBI also has real issues with external sharing of dashboards/reports. You only have the option of publishing internally (visible to your organization's users)...

Enterprise Analytics - with some gotchas

We're using this as our enterprise analytics platform to supplement paginated reports in SSRS/PBIRS. Aside from the wrinkles mentioned, it's been a solid performer. If there was a little more "admin" capabilities around subscriptions and permissions, it'd be a home run.

Pros

Near-constant updates and feature additions. It's exceptionally easy to throw together a Power BI Report across a bunch of different data sources and then share it with 1 or 100 people. Tons of connectivity support - if you have data somewhere it can *probably* read it into a model for consumption. The "front end" development is pretty straightforward with the ability to get very fancy with custom visuals - although you need to be a real developer to build those yourself.

Cons

It feels like there are some (currently) missing enterprise features. We still haven't really figured out a holistic way of managing both the enterprise stuff, as well as the "power user" self service stuff that gets published around the org. To Microsoft's credit, there are pretty much monthly releases that add ne functionality and features. Some things I'd like to see include more API support and additional sources like Box, perhaps.

Simple and highly customizable

1. Dax query is highly reliable when comes to slice and dice the granular level data based on time trend. 2. Embedded report and dashboard in any kind of business applications easily and it becomes part of it.

Pros

1. Free desktop tool for development(Power BI Desktop) and simple installation process. 2. Almost, we can connect many source to fetch the data. Ex csv,web,excel,sql,odbc etc.., 3. Specialized ETL(Extract,transform,load) to clean the raw unstructured data into structured data with help of Power Query. 4. Powerful DAX query to customized measure and calculated column to get desirable business metrics and KPIs. 5. Top standard visuals, Custom visuals(visual market) and also we can create our own visuals using reactjs. 6. Publish in cloud(azure) to view report anywhere in the world with help Power BI service. 7. High availability and low latency to view report and dashboard with help of xVelocity engine. 8. Anyone can easily create basic charts with structured data.

Cons

1. Power BI Desktop consumes a huge amount of resource in system. 2. Service monitoring increases for larger report consumers. 3. While dealing with an enormous volume of data, constant optimization takes place.

The visualization and analytics product that is constantly evolving - for the better

With Power BI we identify patterns, issues and opportunities in sales, marketing, operations, supply chain, people management and finance data. The ways to look at the data and the drilling capabilities make this a wonderful tool

Pros

1. Improves with new releases every two weeks 2. Powerful insight management 3. Integration with MS products 4. Online forums and learning zones

Cons

1. Not as intuitive as packaged applications, but getting there 2. Not a good IDE for Python / R 3. Connectors to social media need to be improved

Very robust, though a little overwhelming

We're moving from having staff creating Excel reports or Access database reports to having Power BI do it all for us. We spend some time cleaning up the user's data, streamlining how they enter it (and where - we still use Access, some SQL, some Sharepoint), and Power BI does the rest after that. Our staff loves that they no longer have to manually create reports, and they love the way Power BI looks for them. We are enjoying it overall.

Pros

The dashboard creation is amazing. Give it a data source, design how you want to see your data, and it shows it to you. I enjoy creating dashboards for our different departments. And once our staff sees the reports and dashboards they get from this, vs how they used to get it in an Excel spreadsheet or an Access Report, they are hooked.

Cons

Overwhelming in the back end. Sometimes you just cannot get the data to display the way you want. There are so many options, features, methods. It gets overwhelming. My biggest gripe is that the back end is not as user friendly as other programs. And, comparing it to something that one of my users would create in Excel, it's difficult for me to get the exact data reported that they want. I have to figure out how to display it, and because the Power Bi is just so robust, it's a little overwhelming in that respect.

It brings the power of BI down to non-tech users

My job is to collect and process all sorts of data in my organization and present them to the highest management committee for policy level decision making. We are heavily dependent on MS Excel for this. I handle excel worksheets with thousands of entries every day. A year ago, I tried Power BI to see whether it can help me in my job or not. And i am hooked till now. I am most impressed with the processing power of Power BI. Huge worksheets can be processed very fast using Power BI. It also updates the reports automatically which improves my productivity significantly.

Pros

1. Ease of Use: Unlike other BI software’s, Power BI's interface is friendlier especially to MS Excel users. You will not feel overwhelmed rather it will look familiar. 2. Powerful engine: Users who need to tackle very large datasets with thousands of entries know that MS excel gets horribly slow processing such a large file. Power BI is a God sent for these users. Its processing engine is super-fast...

Cons

Honestly, in my opinion, Power BI is by far the best software made by Microsoft. But considering I am a heavy user of MS Excel, it is easier to me. I think learning curve of Power BI for a beginner with no prior skill in MS Excel will be a bit steep. Then again, BI is a complex thing itself. So master any kind of BI software will be tricky by its own merit.

Power BI is one of the most user friendly BI software for adding visual representation and analytics to your existing reports

Overall good software for beginners and can be explored to get the best efficiency from the software

Pros

below are a few pros • Sharing dashboard in a group a. Sharing can be done once you have the Pro version of Power BI. Dashboard can be shared with the respective department members or your own team members. b. Since you have prepared the dashboard you will be the owner and you can decide whether you want to give the other members only viewing rights or editing rights as well. c. With this feature...

Cons

• One of the important features of exporting report in PowerPoint does not allow custom visual to be exported. Hence if there are custom visuals in your report then the same will show error once exported. • Arranging dashboard is a bit tedious and takes a lot of time • To share reports, we need to publish to MS Cloud. We cannot share report from Power BI Desktop • For sharing a report even members to who report needs to be shared have to get Power BI Pro. Since the department to whom report is shared is just to view giving them a Pro license might not be useful.

Really good for aggregating data from multiple sources

Power BI has helped us go from random spreadsheet reports to consolidated dashboards that are pleasing to look at and easy to interpret.

Pros

The interface is beautiful and easy to navigate. Once data sources are all connected, it's pretty easy to create a new dashboard/layout if you know how to analyze your own data. Nearly every integration that we needed was already included.

Cons

It's hard to build some more complex reports. If you want to combine two different data sources into one view/metric, you will need some advanced skills.

How Powerful is Power BI ?

I am a Power BI Developer and have delivered many dashboards to the client in Power BI. Its Better than other Products. Its Save my lot of time by using Power BI various features. From Importing the Data to Publishing ,Its a easier platform I would suggest you to use. It contains the most trending Visuals in the market that a every developer wants.

Pros

1)Its Easy to use, Provides a Reliable user interface . 2)Its Time efficient as most of the work Power BI does it even before you know. 3)Integration to the third party visuals and creating its own market place have already took it way further than other products. 4)A User can customize its design and can easily give the dashboard access to the public. 5)It contains the most trending Visuals in the market.

Cons

1)Software is reliable on Latest Machines. 2)Old machines then need to be upgraded(OS, RAM) to use this software smoothly. 3) Multiple Dashboards can hang the entire system.

A really useful tool for us in our quest for the best analysis to find the best solutions.

When you use Microsoft Power BI, you can automate most periodic reports and reduce the amount of time it takes to prepare those reports. As a result, we have been able to rely on it at all times and use it for a variety of different analysis procedures and duties. It's a great aid in our search for the most accurate solutions.

Pros

Because of its multiple options and tools for analyzing and organizing data, Microsoft Power BI is software that empowers businesses. Business teams may use it to produce all aspects of business intelligence projects, from the initial concept to the final representation. The platform is user-friendly and can import and export data from a wide range of other apps, making it ideal for people of all skill...

Cons

Power BI requires extensive training for all members of the team, but if you have the appropriate skills, it is a superb tool for extracting the most accurate data.

Simple and very customizable

1.Easily integrate a report and dashboard into any type of business application and is part. 2. Dax query is very reliable when it comes to slicing granular level data depending on the time trend. 3.merged files using power Query

Pros

Advantages 1. Free desktop tool for development (Power BI Desktop) and simple installation process. 2. Almost, we can connect multiple sources to retrieve the data. csv, web, excel, sql, odbc etc. 3. Specialized in (Extraction, transformation, loading) to clean up raw data not structured into structured data using Power Query. 4. Powerful DAX query for custom metric and calculated column to get desired business metrics. 5. Publish to the cloud (Azure) to see the report anywhere in the world with the help of the Power BI service. 6. Anyone can easily create basic charts with structured data. 7. Inventory management using power pivot and indescribable

Cons

Disadvantages 1. Power BI Desktop consumes a huge amount of resources in the system. 2. Service monitoring increases for heavy report consumers. 3. While processing a huge volume of data, constant optimization takes place. 4.the translation of DAX formulas into French for French speakers

This review was translated from French. Read original review

The best gets better

It's easily the most feature rich overall. Other products like Tableau and Qlik have their advantages, but I'm hard pressed to find much fault with Power BI, other than the premium licenses being ridiculously expensive. The word is Microsoft is addressing that issue later in 2020/2021.

Pros

The features and ease of creating visualizations are top notch. Also integration with all other Microsoft products as well as pre-built connectors to many of the most popular software is hard to beat.

Cons

There are many features not available unless you pay for expensive premium capacity.

One of the best BI softwares out there

I have created dashboards on project progress, business cases and at times, a personal dashboard of my own assets and savings just to keep track of certain things. I love that PowerBI is easy to use, and has been designed with the end user in mind. However, I would like to have a wider variety of templates to choose from, especially if I am a beginner to the whole business intelligence idea.

Pros

Having been a user of the full range of Microsoft Office, it was only natural that PowerBI comes to mind when trying to create a live update dashboard. It is extremely easy to use - a plug and play approach comes to mind - and if you had worked with Microsoft Office before, some of the features are very intuitive to use. If the organisation that you are working with uses Microsoft Office, access issues are sorted and it becomes incredibly easy to drive adoption of this dashboard on a day to day basis

Cons

The design of the dashboard created with PowerBI can be found to be lacking at points, compared to some of the other BI softwares. The templates available seem great, but there aren't as many options as I would like when I am creating a specific type of dashboard.

Microsoft Power BI has changed the way we report - and it's been great!

We have begun to use this for all business reporting - from the Executive team all the way to the daily front-line workers. It has replaced outdated Excel files and labor intensive reporting methods of the past. It has become invaluable as a daily tool for the entire team and saves an extensive amount of hours from redundant report generation.

Pros

It is so easy to use once you understand the premise of it. We have super users that create functional dashboards so that anyone can go in and get real-time updates without having to rewrite queries. We use this for our daily sales reporting and it lets you drill down and really understand the numbers.

Cons

It was a little intimidating to use at the start as there is so much functionality. Once you get the hang of it, it makes perfect sense. Just take your time to learn and focus on one aspect at a time and it will all make perfect sense.