Bluebeam Revu Reviews

Bluebeam Revu

PDF editing & markup on the go with collaboration built-in

4.68/5 (727 reviews)

Jacob Prinz, CM-Lean

Not just a PDF viewer!

Reviewed 2018-11-03

Bluebeam has increased office productivity tenfold over the years I have seen/implemented it. It really can do whatever you think up, you just need to figure out what you want done.

Pros
EVERYTHING! This software is incredible and to say that you can use it to markup PDF's is just scratching the surface. You can use it as an estimating takeoff tool, estimating database, document control system, cloud document storage and more! Really the list goes on and on for the uses of this tool. I have never been so satisfied by any software as much as I am with Bluebeam Revu. You cant go wrong here, and if you ever do mess something up or think you can't do something, their customer support team is top notch, so you'll be saved by their graces! (Shout out to Amanda Wieting for the impeccable support over the years!)

Cons
Honestly the only thing I have ever not liked about Bluebeam Revu was the UI change they made when going to 2018. They changed the colors around and that's the worst thing that has ever happened with this program.

Baldemar Audeves

Game Changer

Reviewed 2018-08-14

Pros
What is there not to like about Bluebeam? I first started using it when I got in the construction industry in June 2016 and I have never used a PDF editing software that is as user friendly as Bluebeam. There is countless things you can use it for and more than anything, it is the editing options and capabilities that this program has what makes it simply unique. Being able to create a session and invite members to join is quite a unique feature too; I am glad my company uses it for basically everything!

Cons
This isn't a negative comment, as I truly don't have anything bad to say about it, but if anything I would say that I would like to have a bit more training on how to use the software as it updates from one version to the other; I wish there was either trainings or instructional videos that would show the users how it is that a new version of Bluebeam compares to the older one. With that said above, it is by far, the best PDF viewer/editor there is out there!

Jesse Malan

Best PDF editor I have ever used, Period!

Reviewed 2018-01-11

The biggest benefit from the software is that it saves me so much time thus allowing me to be more productive and profitable!

Pros
My favorite feature is the ability to set the scale and take measurements of items that are drawn on the PDF sheets. I am an Engineer so this comes in very handy. I also love that I can quickly sketch details to get to my drafter or a contractor who is working on my project. Revu has a tool chest where I can store my most frequently used mark-ups so I dont have to keep redrawing them. This program is super powerful with the ability to insert images, reduce the file size, and create an open session that multiple people can join into and make markups on the same document simultaneously. Lastly, one of the best features are the keyboard hot-keys - just type [L} to draw a line, [C} to draw a cloud, and so on.

Cons
Since there are so many options, it can be daunting to learn at first, but with use and time it becomes more and more intuitive.

Glenn Greene

Great for estimate take offs

Reviewed 2020-01-15

Powerful tool to manipulate pdf's. Definitely use Bluebeam Revu as the default pdf tool.

Pros
Tool sets make mark up easy. Bluebeam Revu is the best for viewing and manipulating pdf's.

Cons
Sometimes customization is a little cumbersome. The process to make custom symbols and color them can be confusing. I do not like the way the audit trail for markups does not stay on the sheet you are working on. Continually have to navigate back the part of the audit trail for that sheet. Combining documents sometimes does not work. Adobe Acrobat is better for basic combining.

Muhammad Sarai

a great program to use for review and PDF editing

Reviewed 2019-11-19

so far its been a great Alternative to Adobe or other programs to edit then share with clients, we use it to make notes on PDF files do quick takeoffs and send as built plans

Pros
when i first started using this program i realized how much better it is than adobe reader, it lets you edit draw lines, add text even do takeoffs on the same sheets. as well as the ability to stamp all the sheets with one click!

Cons
price, has a learning curve , fezzes with very large PDF files

Cody Snively

Bluebeam Revu - PDF Productivity

Reviewed 2019-06-08

Bluebeam Revu is a terrific tool for processing and editing large documents - ie drawing sets, books, etc., but it's not necessary for smaller pdf viewing/reading tasks. Other pdf editng software are now also quick to provide similar tools in their software so Bluebeam is not the only option.

Pros
Revu made giant leaps for editing and processing pdf's when Adobe and other pdf readers had only viewing and basic editing features. When used properly, Bluebeam Revu can make navigating large documents a breeze. With software plugins for Autodesk Revit, sorting and organizing large sets of documents can be automated from the start, saving lots of time. Drawing and marking up documents in Revu are also a serious plus.

Cons
Newer versions of Bluebeam Revu come with tons of editing tools and features in "toolboxes". There are so many tools and toolboxes, there is now certainly a learning curve before using it to its full potential. Also due to the large amount of tools, loading time for large files and for graphics to present on screen have become longer.

Edwin Guerra

Bluebeam Revu is a fantastic product for viewing, editing and extracting information from PDF files

Reviewed 2018-07-26

There are too many efficiency gains to list, but the main ones are automation of repetitive tasks, ability to add an "intelligence" layer (almost like a spreadsheet) to PDFs, the ability to collaborate in real time and make edits to existing pdfs. In the Architecture Engineering and Construction world, this product is king.

Pros
The toolbox is underrated, but it completely sets Revu apart from any other pdf viewer/editors available. It is easy to use, easy to distribute, reliable. Editing is also great for minor edits as well as spotting spelling mistakes. Extracting information from sheets is a breeze as well as the OCR feature if you have the Extreme version. Studio sessions which are also underutilized are a real game changer for real time collaboration.

Cons
The latest release saw some radical changes away from a ribbon-type interface into something more traditional. I have found many tools harder to find and am not convinced of any productivity gains as a result of the interface change.

Jeff Carroll

Bluebeam Revu for Construction Managers

Reviewed 2017-08-15
Review Source: Software Advice

I think that Bluebeam is the best PDF manager/user tool created since the original Adobe.

Pros
It is easy, powerful, and allows you to be the master of all documentation. PDF to word conversion, drawings tools, measurement tools, scaled take-offs, etc. etc. Very powerful. The creation, modification, and use of the Stamps is another great tool for the contractor. We use Bluebeam to review, mark, and submit 100% of our shop drawings. We then have to digitally stamp each page and being able to change the date and comments in the stamp so quickly is awesome. It integrates well with PROCORE which is an excellent Management Software. The license is transferable between devices so that I can carry my SINGLE license from my work laptop to my home computer very easily by logging in on my license number.

Cons
Cost could be a factor...although I don't pay the bill at my company so I don't have the answer to the license requirements and costs.

Bluebeam

Reviewed 2019-10-26

Bluebeam is my favorite takeoff software, and I have used so many over 20 years of estimating.

Pros
Easy to measure lines and areas. Easy to count items. The ability to organize the items into groups and layers is key to the functionality. Layers are able to be turned on and off. Ability to change size and color of various items is also key.

Cons
Not many Cons. Every once in a while the file size will slow the process down. But other than that, nor Cons.

Cristian Sebastian Fernandez

Excellent Software

Reviewed 2019-08-08

I use it everyday, I am an architect and a Project manager por a General Contractor and Bluebeam makes my life easier !

Pros
This software is simply awesome, I can edit, overlay, print, compare, navigate, rotate and do whatever I want in a PDF document, a really powerfull software.

Cons
I think it if the perfect software, it takes a while to get familiar with the menus when the software gets updated but nothing bad.

Bluebeam's Multi-use Capability

Reviewed 2018-11-05

Bluebeam is helping us expedite the submittal process and helping us solve problems by allowing us to review multiple drawings simultaneously. This is a program that you take for granted because if one day, we no longer had it, we would be lost for awhile. I highly recommend this product.

Pros
Bluebeam is used daily at my project site and without it, life would be much more difficult. We use it for marking up drawings, submittals, reviewing contracts and determining rough dimensions (Snapping dimensions makes it very easy) for our project. We have templates, stamps, and other features stored on the application that saves time. This program makes it easy to combine files/PDF's and to organize.

Cons
I think that the search option could be refined. Although I cannot provide helpful information on how to accomplish this, I just feel that it could be modified to make things easier. This could also just be me.

Ryan Fluckiger

Greatest PDF Software

Reviewed 2017-02-02

This is excellent software that gives you enormous bang for your buck. The Extreame version is by far the best and worth every penny. Its easy to use basic tools, as it has a similar interface with AutoCAD, but it also has some really good tools that are easy to learn with a little exploring. I work in many design and modeling software and this is just an extension of them. It also has plugins for many popular software. One of my favorite abilities is going from 3D revit to PDF and being able to view it. It makes communicating easier for field workers because they can rotate and view the model in 3D without me being right there. Great product!

Pros
Super easy to use and has tools for every type of user. From Basic to advanced, from field engineer to CAD Designer.

Cons
I can't honestly think of anything. It's great, easy to use and excellent value.

Scott Grewe

Extremely simple and useful PDF tool

Reviewed 2016-12-05

This is the only PDF software that our company utilizes. It is setup in a very user friendly manner, and the functionality is through the roof. it is not just a PDF viewer/modifier, but also a useful tool for estimating, takes off and red line drawings.

Pros
Extremely easy to use. The functionality of this software is improved our efficiency and accuracy when it comes to take offs and estimating. The tools for marking drawing changes and red lines are extremely easy to use and useful for keeping a current plan with any changes accurate. The editing features allow for us to call out specific details and shade certain areas to differentiate what we are looking at or phasing a certain project. The online help and information has been wonderful as we dig deeper and deeper into the functions of this software.

Cons
It is setup a little bit more like an app that a typical computer software so there is a small learning curve to overcome when first digging into the layout and setup of the software, but once you know where to find items the work is easy to complete.

Bryan Wheeler

Great Product

Reviewed 2019-09-30

Bluebeam for ios has made remote sign-off sheets much easier than the Adobe offering

Pros
Bluebeam has a great user interface and works well with our cad drawings the separate management application make it easy for me to resolve printer stalls or flattening failures that may occur

Cons
the cost is always something we look at, but feel that we are able to highly leverage the product for great value

Shaylah Lukas

Expensive but great for editing pdf documents

Reviewed 2019-06-20

Bluebeam Revu is great for creating pdf's, marking up existing pdf's, and for gathering material quantities from construction floorplans. We use it to calculate items such as drywall, trim, paint, tile, etc. It is easy to use (especially the previous versions) and gives users the flexibility to create professional documents.

Pros
I use this for renovation projects and editing presentations to show clients that look professional. I also love how easy it is to create documents for social media posts for our business. We love the hatch feature, allowing us to create custom patterns to apply to floorplans and our team uses it for estimating accurate construction material take-offs.

Cons
It is expensive and the pricing is in American so it adds up quick for us Canadians! Also, the newer versions are harder to navigate - so many bells and whistles! Unfortunately, it isn't as compatible with Mac laptops.

Eric Salley

Bluebeam Revu is great for construction

Reviewed 2019-08-06

Revu is a staple in my daily work. It provides functionality that surpasses other PDF programs I have used and allows me to work much more effectively.

Pros
This has the ability to handle a wide variety of tasks beyond just manipulating PDFs. It lets you perform takeoffs, document analysis, and more.

Cons
The recent redesign made it more difficult to find the common commands I wanted and seems less intuitive.

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Zachary Wotherspoon

Bluebeam Review

Reviewed 2020-01-14

The software helps take construction documents and edit them to your liking. It is helpful in providing supplemental information to manage our construction products.

Pros
The ease of use and ability to edit and mark up documents to your own liking. The multiple functions that the software has available.

Cons
Sometimes it is a bit difficult to find the toolbars and to place them in the locations that you prefer.

Marcus Tung

Never have to use adobe acrobat again

Reviewed 2019-12-04

I use Bluebeam Revu extensively everyday at work and I absolutely love it, in exception to those minor cons listed above.

Pros
studio feature live review / markup sessions ease of use tons of features / functions short learning curve

Cons
crashes sometimes errors stay hidden in the background slow loading

Scott Shea

Great software with lots of features

Reviewed 2020-03-02

The learning curve wasn't too steep but could be a challenge for others. Worth the time to learn though.

Pros
Bluebeam is a great collaborative PDF software. It is great to have comments in realtime. We can address and track comments so much easier and with greater confidence. We are suggesting multiple clients use it.

Cons
It loses the internet connection frequently and will kick you off without noticing. If you close the program when it is offline your comments will not save.

Jennefer Waskul

A Great PDF viewer!

Reviewed 2019-01-24
Review Source: Software Advice

Pros
Easy to use. Bluebeam Revu allows you to view PDF files in similar fashion to the traditional Adobe program. I found that the Bluebeam software is far less taxing on your computer system. So the performance of day to day PDF viewing is smoother and quicker. I also like the tools available for marking up and commenting on PDF's. Emailing directly from the software makes editing documents a breeze. You can view, mark-up and email back a document within minutes. For those in the design industry this is a huge plus.

Cons
There is a plug in for windows explorer, for viewing pdf files with out opening the pdf itself. I find this feature to be a bit slow in loading, sometimes its easier to just open the file rather than trying to work within the explorer feature.

Andrew Wappner

Best PDF Tool for Architects, Designers, Construction, and Real Estate Developers

Reviewed 2019-04-01

Viewing, marking up, and editing design drawings.

Pros
Bluebeam is so much easier to mark up a PDF set than any other PDF software that I have used. It blows away Adobe Acrobat in terms of features, markup tools, and ease of use for design and construction related professionals. You can even put together decent quick presentations with it in a pinch as a sort of poor man's InDesign for lack of a better term. I'm constantly learning new helpful features of this program and highly recommend to anyone looking for an easy feature rich markup tool.

Cons
I occassionally have issues selecting objects because they seem to have a rather large invisible "selection zone" around them. This can at times make it very difficult to select markups that are small and in close proximity.

Anonymous

Love Bluebeam! It should be the PDF standard!

Reviewed 2018-08-02

Pros
I was first introduced to Bluebeam through my place of employment. I was amazed, right from the start, at how powerful it was and how many features it had that I never knew I needed! After seeing it I could not believe how lame Adobe Acrobat seemed in comparison. The overlay comparison feature is one of the most used features here at work. I manipulate documents within it continuously. The OCR is very powerful. And text manipulation is nothing short of amazing! Great piece of software! I recommend it to everyone that can afford it! Luckily, I can use my corporate computer for personal use, otherwise I'd have to pay full price for it.

Cons
The cost is rather prohibitive for normal users. But the features are plenty and well developed.

Rocky Castro

The best & easiest to use pdf software for beginners or industry professionals, bar none.

Reviewed 2017-07-14
Review Source: Software Advice

If you can think it, you can do it with Bluebeam Software. I have definitely received ROI within the 1st month. This software has revolutionized how I do my job & how easily I can communicate with industry professionals in a more sophisticated manner. It has definitely elevated the appearance of my business.

Pros
Versatility to do just about anything with a PDF. My uses are the ability to Create / Edit / Improve Construction Drawings, Submittals, Take-Offs, Design, Shop Drawings, RFI's, Bid Forms, signature pages & much more

Cons
Would like more CAD / Tekla like capabilities. Since I make shop drawings & design drawings when applicable, I spend too much making an accurate layout. I would like an ability to panelize an entire area with typical spacings between panels. Also, an ability to capture the sizes of pieces in area to appear onto a BOM

Douglas Kim

A Must have for any pdf reader or editor

Reviewed 2018-12-10

Hands down the best pdf review and editing software. Will chose this over adobe 100% of the time and have gotten all of my colleagues to switch over to this program and now they all use this as their exclusive pdf viewer.

Pros
The versatility of bluebeam is amazing. From simple markups to layering and doing scaled take offs, this program can do it all. I use it for both personal and professional tasks on a daily basis. They also have great customer support and are always improving their software to keep up with the latest trends and customer needs.

Cons
Because there is so much data that can be stored on a single file, sometimes the files get very large and cumbersome to work with. Also if you add too many layers and information, the pages sometimes take a long time to load/buffer.

Bobby DeWeese

I can't do my job without it!

Reviewed 2017-04-17
Review Source: Software Advice

A must have for any General Contractor.

Pros
Bluebeam Revu is an extremely versatile software with a wide range of uses that apply to all project stakeholders. At a basic level, the software is similar to your run of the mill PDF editor. Where it really shines is with its industry specific tools for mark-ups, as-builts, drawing management, quantity take-offs, document distribution and its ability to offer a simulated drawing revu session virtually and in real-time.

Cons
I was able to jump on Bluebeam Revu and use it at a pretty high level within a couple of days. I have, however, seen others struggle with it. They are always able to utilize a percentage of the software's functionality, but sometimes aren't able to progress to the software's higher level tools.