Bluebeam Revu Reviews

Bluebeam Revu

PDF editing & markup on the go with collaboration built-in

4.68/5 (727 reviews)

John Birkenhauer

Excellent .pdf manipulator. Had previously used Acrobat products exclusively, had reservations.

Reviewed 2017-08-17

Every possible benefit, from personal communication to system wide corporate applications.

Pros
Absolutely intuitive program. You can get up and running with this with no training, assuming you have ever used any .pdf software prior. The menus are extremely rich, and generally intelligible to anyone who is computer "fluent" at the typical office "user" level. The depth of the menus is astounding, once you are past the basics, the abilities this program lets you access will change the way you do business. I like it because it makes someone without a CAD background (me) look like a professional, I was a huge Acrobat fan, the switch to BlueBeam was a corporate decision and I didn't think I'd ever get used to it. Took about two days, actually.

Darren Turner

Bluebeam from a user perspective

Reviewed 2019-10-10

Bluebeam is my go to choice of PDF software, architectural and services plan reviews are easy carried out with the Bluebeam software. As a high volume document reviewer, this tool has greatly assisted in making my day to day tasks easier and more professional looking mark up than a red pen and a scanned document.

Pros
The ease of use in markup, review, overlay and comparing changes to plans is extremely easy with a great set of available mark up tools.

Cons
I wish I had this product years ago. It has changed the way that we review and collaborate on documents outside of a BIM model. I would like to see if 3D PDF plans can be reviewed as easily as the 2D counterparts for model review.

Anonymous

Blue beam #1 software for both reading and constructing. .

Reviewed 2019-04-09

I highly recommend this software for all e-readers and construction industries. I also like to mention that there are many hidden features still to be utilized.

Pros
As a consultant engineer i am using blue beam more than 4 years. It has become such an important software to carry out my projects. In the sense that i can easily review any document or shop drawings, and also i can easily comment on the documents. But the most amazing feature i like is i can overlay two drawings which helps to figure out the error. And also we can easily calibrate and measure the dimensions in a drawing. Last but not least this software is very eye friendly to work with.

Cons
There is no much cons in my opinion excepts for slow response to large files.

Anonymous

Bluebeam is a great work in progress!

Reviewed 2019-07-18

Overall, I couldn't do my job without it. I use a similar industry standard software for photo processing and I'd put this one on that Expert level. The functions are awesome like, creating a scale in a document, setting measurements, marking up documents, saving custom markups for later, and configuring the software as you like. I look forward to using the latest and greatest version.

Pros
The capabilities of the software seem endless. I'm very impressed with what we can easily accomplish using the software. The tool new tool bar took some getting used to, but is totally user friendly and a great resource.

Cons
It's a ram hog! It takes a lot of processing power to accomplish simple task like printing and saving. Serious file compression doesn't seem to exist yet, and it crashes doing menial task.

Andrew Webb

PDF writer and Document control for the construction industry

Reviewed 2019-03-15

Revu is a fantastic resourse in the office for editing and marking up PDF drawings. It excelles where vectors are used in 3D PDFs. As construction begins bluebeam becomes less useful navigating drawing compared to something like PlanGrid. You can’t go wrong if you use both bluebeam for Pre-Con and PlanGrid for Construction. The cost savings compared to some other software is substantial.

Pros
The interface is intuitive, the support and training is efficient. Updating documents on studio and controlling versions by checking in and checking out. Has all the features of any other PDF writer plus the ability to enter complex formulas similar to excel. If estimating it prints professional reports.

Cons
Adding tools, fortunately there is an incredible network of folks who make their tools available.

Justin Relitz

Great tool for engineering and wide amount of features

Reviewed 2019-07-15

Pros
This software has so many wonderful features for the engineering and construction field. There are tools for measurements, signatures, cropping, labelling and many others that make it great for looking at plans. Also great editing tools for PDF's. Highly recommend.

Cons
Sometimes there are so many features its a little learning curve at first for new users.

Justin Dede

I use BlueBeam Revu daily (basically hourly) in the AEC Industry to mark-up and edit PDFs.

Reviewed 2018-03-07

Improves my workflow

Pros
+KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS - simple keyboard shortcuts simply work +Studio is an innovative collaborative tool +The product for the AEC industry, designed explicitly for construction documents +Can easily manipulate and edit PDFs to pick up omissions in Revit +Has become such a critical part of my workflow that I could not do my job without it

Cons
-Adobe Acrobat allows to more easily insert a stamp signature file i.e. I use a jpg copy of my signature to insert onto a letter - Acrobat it looks closer to having really signed the document -License restrictions - need multiple licenses for each device. Would love to use the same license on my PC and tablet but Revu does not allow for that.

Anonymous

Bluebeam Revu is my right hand in my profession.

Reviewed 2019-07-19

Overall I prefer bluebeam over the all other similar software. And I recommend this one for you all my friends, which will make your life easier. As a daily user of this software I am excited to have new updates of it.

Pros
I am using bluebeam revu for last 1 year. As a civil engineer, I feel grateful to have this software which easier many of my works. From my experience I feel bluebeam is the best option to handle PDF files. Handling shop drawing is much easier while using this software. We can do any makeup, changes & comments and can do measurements as well (linear, area etc.) here. And we can remove anything if we don't want in the documents. Here it is easy to combine two or more documents. It helps to convert PDF files into other format of documents like word, excel, power point, image etc.

Cons
From my experience, I haven't feel much bad about this software. Even though its user interface is customer friendly, it take certain period to get familiar with bluebeam. Still I find new things in the software while using.

Must Have for Construction Projects

Reviewed 2019-05-02

The collaboration between the project team is greatly enhanced with Bluebeam studio. It also makes it simple to update the project drawings with changes so that everyone is using the most up to date drawings.

Pros
The software has great tools to collaborate with trades, architects, engineers, and other members of the project team. With bluebeam studio, it makes it simple to upload drawings for the team to access and to take on the go via the iPad app. The markup tools are also great for every day coordination, site planning, drawing mark-ups, shop drawing review, etc. The possibilities are endless!

Cons
The mobile app is a bit clunky and is slower than other PDF viewers I have seen in the field.

Anonymous

Great replacement for Adobe that allows the user greater control over the image

Reviewed 2017-11-09

I work with blueprints daily. This makes my job so much smoother. I can link in an engineer or architect and we can discuss issues right on the spot and share notes. If at some point down the road something changes, we can look up the old notes we put on the drawings. By far the best PDF viewer I have ever had the chance to use.

Pros
This is the number one tool for people in the construction industry to have. Having the ability to work on the same PDF with multiple people at the same time is a game changer. No more having to drive an hour for a 15 minute meeting. You can also scale the plans so that you can pull dimensions. It's AutoCad integration is super helpful. I don't have to redraw a whole sheet of detail or trace an imported jpeg anymore. This has saved me days upon days of work on projects.

Cons
The software isn't foolproof and has some glitches. I've had it boot people off of a shared pdf and not export the whole pdf. It's not translated notes properly when I try to send the drawing out. All of these things are minor glitches that happen every now and then.

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Joanne Angeles

Bluebeam PDF Revu: Powerful PDF Viewer and Editor

Reviewed 2018-10-09

We use this software ALL THE TIME. This is probably, after Outlook and the internet browser, the most used software on my computer. Before upgrading to this software, I used multiple applications just to get to the same result. This has been a time saver.

Pros
The ease of use; variety of editing and commenting tools,; Microsoft Outlook integration; inclusion of PDF printer plug-in; and document comparison tools. This is by far the easiest and most powerful PDF viewer/editor I've used. The tools are so easy to use, in a pinch, we've even used it as a drawing/sketching tool.

Cons
The cropping tool doesn't always work. There is not a way (I'm aware of) of changing the page size once it's already set.

Scott MacMillan

Bluebeam is a powerhouse PDF creator/editor

Reviewed 2018-04-16
Review Source: Software Advice

Architecture and Engineering firms can benefit from all of the great features integrated into Bluebeam, provided that smaller firms can swallow the initial cost of acquisition and ongoing maintenance.

Pros
Bluebeam is amazing. It has all of the features that draftspersons need to create effective take-offs. It almost has too many features when we first installed the Revu eXtreme software. They have a great support/training system though, and we've now installed this on every company computer.

Cons
It can be a bit cost prohibitive compared to other PDF editors. This is offset by the abundance of features in Bluebeam, however small businesses should ensure that the cost-benefit is worth it to them.

JEFFREY Eckes

Great software-Terrible customer service

Reviewed 2019-12-12

The customer service-technical help is just horrendous. Their 'technicians' are just phone operators, many with very bad attitudes (if I worked for a company with these policies I'd be grumpy too!) but read on... Anything beyond the very basics like opening the program or setting up menus are completely beyond their abilities. To make matters MUCH worse they have no escalation policy at all. Read that again; a SOFTWARE company has zero escalation policy. Who you get, regardless of whether they can actually answer your question, is who you get (I was TOLD this -it's recorded too- by an operator! If they don't know something (most of the time) they put you on hold for 5-10 minutes while they go ask someone who supposedly does. Invariably there is a follow up question (or more likely, they just have the wrong answer) and so they put you on hold for ANOTHER 10 minutes. When you ask to be transferred to the person they obviously keep putting you on hold to ask, you are rebuffed. Ask harder, in fact DEMAND to be connected to a qualified tech often enough and they will revoke your service contract. Read that again, if you complain too much they will FIRE YOU instead of fix their internal problems! Eventually I was able to work out an 'email only' connection to a senior tech who actually HAS the answers, but by revoking my service, they also robbed me of my updates so I can't even benefit from all the work I've put into helping them improve their product.

Pros
It is hands down the most powerful PDF editor available today. As of v. 2018.6 they have fixed MOST of the issues that made it crash (but not quite all) and I can operate this software for an average of 9 hours a day without too much cursing at the screen. Takeoff is WYSIWYG and once you learn the product, very adaptable to whatever way you like to work. Another terrific feature is the 'slipped plans' feature where you can slipp addendum plans together with existing plans and transfer all of your current takeoff without loss. No other takeoff software allows this kind of functionality. The ability to automatically generate 'links' within the drawings (from flags to the correct page indicated by the flag) is also very valuable. Other programs DO provide this, but Bluebeam is much more accurate and faster.

Cons
The exporting function. Only allows limited functionality (.csv .xml .pdf and print) and Nemetschek refuses to work with us to provide access to the API so we can truly integrate the takeoff with our ERP system. It functions but it could be SO much more. The tech help was TERRIBLE! First, they refuse to help unless you grant them remote access to your machine ( I won't). Then they cant actually do their job. See below for a full description;

Likelihood to recommend: 5/10

Steve Imbimbo

Bluebeam is a versatile and easily navigated PDF software for professional and personal use.

Reviewed 2017-05-06
Review Source: Software Advice

I have been using Bluebeam as a primary drawing and detail generation tool for close to 7 years. As a Senior Estimator for a large general construction firm it has been invaluable not only as quantities and takes off tool but as a construction sequence documentation tool. Bluebeam uses are so varied and seemingly limitless, it just takes your imagination to think beyond simple "software". I would, and have, highly recommend Bluebeam not only for the construction industry but also for beyond.

Pros
Ease of use. Low comparative cost. Seemingly endless uses for both professional and personal use. Great user support.

Cons
Only con for me is integration to 3D but this may be more of a "user" issue. File sizes can become large especially when using the Photo tool.

Simon Wong

Disappointed they are discontinuing MacOS support

Reviewed 2020-01-07

We will continue to use bluebeam for mac even though updates and support are no longer available. The program is just that good. I appreciate that rather than terminate the use of the program they have allowed users to continue with their last version of the software

Pros
Excellent software for annotating pdfs, quick estimates, and sketching. Lots of depth and useful functions in the program even on the lightened Mac version. Available with a single user licence rather than subscription base which is nice

Cons
It's unable to read certain PDF files (Acrobat Only). They have discontinued their Mac version but even before the PC version had many features that were not available on the Mac version.

David Benamati

I love Bluebeam but the 2018 version is terrible!

Reviewed 2018-04-24

Pros
I love the ability to manipulate PDF's and the wide range of tools that help accoplish this. I alos love its ability to work with blueprints on measuring and quantifying items. I love Bluebeam by far the most helpful tool i have at work.

Cons
2018 version takes everything you love about bluebeam and throws it in the trash. Its new user interface makes it impossible to find the tool your looking for. Not sure who came up with this "genius" idea but they should be fired. As a longtime bluebeam user the 2018 version is designed cause confusion and frustration and overall decrease your productivity. Sorry bluebeam but major fail on this one.

Likelihood to recommend: 5/10

Jessica Arellano

I would not be able to handle volume I do without BlueBeam Revu and Exteme

Reviewed 2018-04-23

This saves me hours of slip sheeting alone. Worth every penny

Pros
Edits are easy and you can really do some incredible things with this software. I love that i am able to work seamlessly between BB and Outlook for example-using tools like screen shots without having to attache the entire document. I also love the email function from PDF. Works great when i quickly need to pull a page or two for a foreman.

Cons
I find that it can hold on to documents. So it will show as in use and I can not move or delete the file. Its an easy fix and I know it holds them for easy access when in the program so Its not really an issue but can be a hassle at moments

Bluebeam - Legacy User

Reviewed 2018-12-20

This software is pretty great for us. It costs a lot which is the reason we hold on to the legacy versions. We use PDF escape free version for simple PDF needs like signing and combining. We also use adobe free for the fill and sign.

Pros
This offer a lot of functionality when it comes to editing PDFs. Customer service is great when I need to free up licenses because we have versions going back to 8, 19 and 2016. We use it for editing text on our PDFs or cropping them for 4x6 shipping labels.

Cons
I am unable to free up legacy licenses without going through customer service. There is a portal for 2018 versions but anything 2016 below requires you to email or call in to free them up.

Anonymous

The best PDF program for construction

Reviewed 2018-08-28

With the use of Bluebeam our BIM department can transfer files and mark ups faster back and forth to the field with out having to wait for email. We have mostly eliminated the need to print full size drawings for install. The field guys take the PDF's and put them on the app for the tablets. Making it more convinent.

Pros
I really enjoy the measurement tools that are in the program. This allows me to easily help our field with take off for pipe and fittings. Also the ability to use the Bluebeam Studio giving my guy easy access to all files with out needing a different program to access.

Cons
The user interface with the new update at first was a little cumbersome but in time you get used to it.

Susan Pinckney

My office needed to find a pdf reader and editor that would not require an annual renewal like Adobe

Reviewed 2018-07-25

Pros
Easy to edit pdfs. Allows me to measure from pdf drawings which is a huge help in my line of business (Interior design in an architectural firm).

Cons
They keep shutting down any and all forums where people offer tips to help one another with it. This is incredible frustrating since I don't have time to take training courses and need to learn on the fly. All other software that i use has online forums where I can ask questions and get quick answers form experienced users. I don't understand why they feel the need to do this. ALSO I don't like that I don't have optical word recognition in my version. Adobe offers it in their free reader.

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Genieve Pereda

Yay or Nay BlueBeam Revu

Reviewed 2019-03-20

Overall it's really a great software for those who have to update drawings or forms . I wouldn't use any other software but Bluebeam.

Pros
This software is way better then Adobe reader and I feel it's much easier to navigate as well. I use bluebeam for everything. I can update drawings, forms, spreadsheets and much more. I really don't know what I would do without this program. There are so many functionalities it's endless. It took me a minute to learn the new version of bluebeam due to changes on the icons, but once I figured those out it was easy.

Cons
I really don't have anything negative to say about this software.

Bluebeam Revu

Reviewed 2019-08-07

Pros
Making all the editions and pier reviews is so hard in word documents. All the users are so preferring the pdf versions for their review as it is easy to use. And making comments on pdf is an advantage for all the users. This software is providing that facility. Most importantly, the feature i admired is making comments and edits and locked those edits which prevents from future changes mistakenly. It also allows to copy and paste the locked features to the next pages again as a locked features. This really helps in all my works.

Cons
The main drawback here is one we saved the changes made on the pdf, we cannot get back the steps we have gone through. I have felt this throughout my works with the software. Other than that, once we draw the cloud on the pdf as a rectangle figure, we cannot stretched again as a rectangle. It distorted the cloud into some other shapes. This problem only exists for clouds.

Anonymous

A nice interface and a powerful PDF handler"

Reviewed 2019-07-17

Bluebeam is the best PDF editor for anyone in the Architecture, Engineering or Construction industry.

Pros
Bluebeam provides so many editing tools for marking up documents, basically PDFs. With Bluebeam it is really easy to modify any given Pdf. It supports creating PDF's out of other documents, such as Word, Excel, JPG's. Bluebeam revu can take lot of fine details and can be used for signing documents.

Cons
When so much of fine details are included in drawings, specially in architectural or structural drawings, the process of loading them takes much time. Further it would be better if they can add a command line like in Autocad.

Anonymous

Bluebeam blows Adobe Acrobat out of the water.

Reviewed 2018-01-16

This is the best PDF viewing, editing & markup software I've come across. It's affordable & easy to use. I can't suggest Bluebeam enough.

Pros
I like all of the markup tools. I like how easy it is to draw & design. I love it's batch hyperlinking, batch editing tools. I really like it's review & comparison capabilities. It's great how easy it is to combine files & add or remove pages. The OCR & redaction capabilities are fantastic.

Cons
Sometimes, when you're trying to change the style or color of only part of the text in your text box, it changes the entire box or if you move it it removes the style and/or color change. That's the only bug I've found.

Jesse McConnell, NCARB, AIA, LEED AP

Great tool for architects!

Reviewed 2019-01-26

Bluebeam Revu has been a software we us daily at our firm. We do all of our shop drawings digitally and Bluebeam helps with that allowing us to have custom stamps and good work flow. Overall we have been very happy with this software and will most likely continue to use it.

Pros
Ease of use and tools available to review drawings and make markups fast.

Cons
The new pricing for updates, until recently Bluebeam was reasonable cost and we had no problems just upgrading every year. But last year they changed the pricing structure and we elected to no upgrade. We still like the product and use it everyday. We will wait a few years and decide if we need to upgrade or not.