Bluebeam Revu Reviews

Bluebeam Revu

PDF editing & markup on the go with collaboration built-in

4.68/5 (727 reviews)

Adam Smith

A solid product for takeoffs

Reviewed 2017-04-12
Review Source: Software Advice

I use Bluebeam Revu for roofing and wall panel takeoffs. The program is pretty intuitive so you can figure out a lot of what you want to do without having to look at help files. I'm a learn by doing kind of person, so this suits me well. There are also plenty of help files and videos on YouTube when you need to know more detailed information. I looked into replacing Bluebeam a few months ago, but, after looking at the cost/benefit of other programs, we decided to upgrade Bluebeam instead of replacing it.

Pros
Intuitive interface, responsive customer service, many help files/videos

Cons
Only uses 1 cpu core at a time (if it can utilize multiple cpu cores, I haven't found a way to do it)

Anonymous

I use Bluebeam everyday at my job. In my opinion it's the best PDF software available on the market.

Reviewed 2018-06-03

Pros
The measurement tools in Bluebeam are second to none. For civil engineering work, this program shines as one of the best quantity takeoff tools available. All of this is outside of just being an excellent PDF program. Has a vast majority of tools that most competitors don't which is useful for a number of different uses.

Cons
My only real complaint with Bluebeam is that sometimes the Bluebeam studio can freeze up and not perform well. A lot of this depends on the system it is linked to, but it still struggles from time to time with large files.

Sharon Lahr

Bluebeam Revu review

Reviewed 2017-06-06
Review Source: Software Advice

Makes Adobe Acrobat obsolete.

Pros
The ability to have access to files at the same time with STUDIO is it's greatest assets along with the speed in which you can open and view files. It is a great resource for tracking read lines progress. It is also invaluable for shop drawing review. It has made hard copies obsolete for drawing reviews, redlines and shop drawings.

Cons
The cost of BlueBeam is a little expensive for personal use but it does come with the option of using sessions so you can use it out of the office with out a licensed copy but is is a little clunky.

One stop shop!

Reviewed 2018-12-29

Overall I am more that happy with Bluebeam Revu. I review a lot of project documents, and Bluebeam allows to make markups, stamp drawing and even email them all on one platform.

Pros
When it comes to creating PDF's, Bluebeam Revu is by far one of the more superior products. Marking up documents and adding notes is so simple and intuitive.

Cons
Bluebeam Revu has the ability to upload very large file sizes, however emailing those same files can be a bit of a challenge. There is an option to reduce the file size within the software but that tend to leave the image quality less than desirable.

Jay Tilley

We use Bluebeam Revu throughout our office. It's a great tool in many aspects of our work.

Reviewed 2017-10-10

Pros
What an easy product to use! Our IT guy installed the software, I received a 5 minute tutorial from my manager and I was off and running. I use Bluebeam on a daily basis to show devices on construction documents and keep track of counts and changes. The ability to update a background is fantastic! That allows us to immediately see what has changed in the PDF plans we receive and that keeps our work relevant and helps prevent problems on the job site.

Cons
Just yesterday we got a new PDF background for a construction project. The engineer had moved the background two inches. I couldn't find any way to move all of our drawing objects at once, so I had to move each symbol one at a time... there were about 50 symbols... it would have been nice to select them all and move them all together. If that functionality exists, it needs to be easier to find!

Jan Stordahl

Great affordable PDF markup software

Reviewed 2019-02-28

We publish all design drawings from autocad and revit to bluebeam for pdf creation and posting.

Pros
Lots of functionality and easy to use. We converted our entire office to use this for all PDFs. We have people doing simple markups and people using for design and drafting. Admin staff use it to convert documents and merge and extract large documents. We have created custom stamps and toolchests for office wide use. It is also easy to measure and calculate areas.

Cons
Support is basically non-existent other than online blogs or google searches.

Kevin McGuire

The ultimate swiss army knife tool for everything PDF

Reviewed 2018-11-20
Review Source: Software Advice

Its always been the fastest pdf editing and viewing software. Snapshot, flattening, reducing file size, adding file security and the tool chest are my favorite features.

Pros
Its wide berth of features and converting tools. I use the bluebeam stapler to take anything in word or excel and combine it into pdf format for easier distribution. the snapshot tool is probably the most used tool out of them all.

Cons
It can be very busy and hard to find some features depending on the layout used. I'd appreciate a simpler view for presentations that doesn;t require me to go full screen.

Patricia Knowlton

Great Product, but not a fan of the new look.

Reviewed 2019-02-24

Design review is made simple by able to share a studio session with all parties. Any document that needs to be reviewed by others can be done quickly , especially by using custom tool boxes.

Pros
The ability to collaborate with our entire team. We use it on our construction site , for a plan room, markups, design review and more.

Cons
The new update. It is suppose to more intuitive , but having using it for year it is hard to find things, some of the main features like slip sheeting does not work anymore. The product now freezes up or crashes often. I never had that happen before.

Ernesto Almazan

Great tool for the construction field. Easy to navigate drawings and markups.

Reviewed 2017-05-19

Less mistakes at work due to updated files available at the tip of my fingers.

Pros
The variety of tools for instances: markup options, writing comments, searching for words, measuring, photo attachments, studio-icloud usage and linking external accounts like sharefile or box.

Cons
It tends to overload when you have too many documents open. I've tried closing the app and reopening the app but the files do not open. The app tends to shutdown. To correct this, the device must be turnoff and restart. I don't know if this a bug issue or the device can't support the large files.

Better than actrobat

Reviewed 2019-12-03

Bluebeam is a daily tool. Very much needed to mark up PDFs efficiently

Pros
This software allows infinite possibilities for mark ups and LIVE comments between sessions and projects.

Cons
Its user interface is quite hard to understand. Older versions were easier based on coloring and different icons. Now all the layour looks plain and it is very hard to know where to click or where to find tools

Jesse Malan

Don’t use anything else

Reviewed 2018-09-26

I can draft details with all the markup tools and do it just about as quick as hand sketching something, but I can save and modify or manipulate that detail however I want in the future. I also really love the studio session functions. I have used the studio like other live screen sharing programs out there, but this is so fast and seamless that it doesn’t make sense to use anything else.

Pros
There are so many features that help me save time in doing everyday tasks related to engineering.

Cons
The software seems to partially freeze up after a few hours of using or if I leave it on in the background for overnight.

Bruce Kopytek, AIA

I regularly use Bluebeam Revu to work with PDFs

Reviewed 2018-07-16

I can do a lot more with PDFs - things that are more difficult to do using Adobe Acrobat.

Pros
It has a lot of functionality, and the interface, once you get used to it, is easy and intuitive. It can do quite a bit, and with ease. I modify PDFs, delete, add pages, and combine PDFs. The ability to reduce resolution on a large PDF is very useful.

Cons
I wish it was easier to zoom/scroll using the mouse wheel than having to click a zoom button. Other than that, the program's interface is well laid out and it offers mostly everything that I need.

Zohair Lateef

Bluebeam is so more than just a PDF reader, has multiple features.

Reviewed 2018-08-07

Pros
Bluebeam helps in adding mark ups to documents, can create layers, teams can collaborate using the Studio feature on the same document at the same time. Bluebeam has the ability to measure lengths, areas if it calibrated as per the scale. It can search a phrase or a character or a word at all instances with the search feature. Drawing sheets can be overlayed for comparison. Overall its a very powerful tool.

Cons
Its a user friendly software, but needs quick tips guide within the software for new users.

amber pollard

Bluebeam Rocks!

Reviewed 2018-03-12
Review Source: Software Advice

Pros
I love everything about this program! It fits every need that we have, as a general contracting company. The measure tool is by far my favorite, you can set any scale that you want and get accurate measurements off of plans without having to go to the field at all. It's extremely user friendly and easy to learn. This software lets us do anything from stamping that a plan has been received to authenticating signatures on contracts. I recommend bluebeam for everyone.

Cons
The only slight issue I have is the fact that you aren't able to view two documents at the same time; when you scroll down on one of the documents the other one scrolls to the same place. This is a great feature for comparing documents with minor revisions that you need to see, but it isn't beneficial if the two documents didn't start out as the same.

Andrew Beyer

Bluebeam is user friendly and has lots of capabilities that are useful for different types of work, from quantification to editing and lots in between

Reviewed 2017-04-12
Review Source: Software Advice

I have used Bluebeam review for the last 10 years instead of Adobe Acrobat, and been very satisfied.

Pros
Hyperlinking and bookmarking multipage construction drawings make for a very easy to navigate large set of documents. The takeoff tools are also very easy to use.

Cons
Sometimes the help link is not very helpful. Can't copy 'count' takeoffs to different sheets. Other quantity takeoff software have a better presentation option for listing the takeoffs on the document. Sometimes measurements spit out in inches when I want feet, and its not intuitive to change it.

Joshua Hatch

Bluebeam makes working with PDF files a breeze!

Reviewed 2019-12-12

Overall, my experience with Bluebeam has been more than satisfactory. Bluebeam makes dealing with PDFs from the field a ton easier!

Pros
I really like the way Bluebeam sets up it's menus and toolbars. Everything is laid out in a way that allows users to get a feel of the program as a whole without needing to dig into multiple windows and drop downs.

Cons
It took me a little longer than I'd like to admit to figure out how to combine pdfs for submittal packages. It's an easy enough process, but where to start wasn't as easy to figure out.

John Elder

Estimating is so much easier with Bluebeam!

Reviewed 2016-04-19
Review Source: Software Advice

Pros
My concern when I was looking for estimating software was the amount of set up that would need to be done. It was nice to be able to load Bluebeam software on my computer and be working with it right away, it took an hour to be up and running on basic functions of the software which made it useful immediately. I enjoy this software enough that I have purchased 4 seats for different employers and the Ipad version for myself for use on the run.

Cons
To this point, I have not found anything that I dislike about the software and the reps. at Bluebeam have been beyond helpful the one time I had a problem. I would like to see Bluebeam do something with site estimating software.

Phil Ellsworth

Bluebeam Revu.... so overwhelming!

Reviewed 2018-04-24
Review Source: Software Advice

This software has so many more uses than Adobe it is truly amazing. The uses are endless, its just trying to figure out HOW to use the software and where you need to look to utilize all of the elements contained within. The HELP section is endless, and desperately needed. As well, if you go to the Bluebeam website, they do have endless videos to help you learn how to manipulate the software.

Pros
So much you can do with this software... if you can't find it in this software, you just don't need it!

Cons
So much stuff in this software you can be easily overwhelmed and find yourself lost in too much detail.

Mindy Bryant

BEST PDF Software around

Reviewed 2017-06-08

* Easy to Use * Most options for editing PDF documents * Integration with Procore!

Pros
So easy to edit and manipulate documents. It is user friendly and has more options then you could ever need. It is also great at converting docs from word/excel to PDF and vice versa. They also offer Bluebeam Sessions. This is a great feature that allows you to work on one document with several different people in different locations in real time so everyone can make changes collaboratively and see them in real time.

Cons
It allows you to search most PDF documents for special words or characters. However, if the document was scanned in, it most likely will not be searchable which is frustrating.

Alex Schreyer

I started using Bluebeam 2 years ago and have know idea why I hadn't heard about it through school.

Reviewed 2017-08-15

Pros
This PDF software is very intuitive, simple, and creative. It also has a great bank of support videos to help you learn how to use all of the features in the program.

Cons
For some reason when my files get more line in them the pdf tends to slow down a lot. If there were a magical way to fix this that would be amazing. Also I have found the batch functions to combine or separate PDFS or even batch link can be a little confusing and if there was some way of clarifying those steps in the program that would be helpful I think.

Robert Morris

This is a good Desktop Software but the Tablet version is weak

Reviewed 2017-08-15

Pros
I think bluebeam is also a game changer in the construction industry. It is great for takeoffs, organization, searching, converting scans into vectors and it is one of the most powerful software programs I have used.

Cons
The only problem I have is the tablet version is not as user friendly as plan grid and not as intuitive. I also think the hyperlink component needs some refinement. It is quite time consuming to hyperlink a pdf to a drawing and for this I end up paying the extra amount and doing it through plan grid.

Brett Reynoldson

I have been using Blue Beam for 4 years. Never a "software issue" no locking up the pc any of those

Reviewed 2017-12-22

We use it to edit and draft floor plans. I also edit and create renderings of the proposed project from photos of the jobs.

Pros
It is easy to learn, or teach the basics to some one, and as you get better there are a lot of editing features that can be found.

Cons
I think there should be an easy to use, or easy to find compression button. After you edit a photo or a drawing a lot, there is a lot of data and the file is very large. Sometimes to large to email. The compression file feature only reduce the file a little with out a lot of manipulation.

Chamith Senarathna

It is the best software among the PDF viewers

Reviewed 2019-05-23

This is the best software which I can suggest as PDF reader and also the editor.

Pros
Most valuable option of Bluebeam Revu is its 'measuring tool' which can be used to calculate missed dimensions within the PDF where only thing you have to do is calibrate the tool using an existing known dimension within same PDF. This option is very useful when reading civil and architectural plans which are in PDF format. Further it has facility to converting images to PDF format and combine several PDFs to one PDF easily and quickly.

Cons
It is better if it includes 'OCR' facility ( recognizing and reading characters within images) as an option in there future updates.

Huge time saver

Reviewed 2018-01-17

Time saving working with PDFs. Bring together people to allow design reviews across different locations and different platforms.

Pros
Bluebeam is an amazing software platform for users in the AEC field. I use it daily to mark up drawings and make presentation materials. Setting up design review sessions could be easier and allows anyone to go in and makeup design drawings. It doesn't matter if people use Apple, Microsoft, desktops, laptops, and even Ipads. It is much faster and easier to use the Acrobat. I find new tools to use in it all the time.

Cons
There are so many features I wish there were more training and "how tos". I know there are more features that I could be using.

Marc Soots

Collaborative Tool for Electronic Documents for Construction Industry

Reviewed 2019-08-29

With Bluebeam my company is able to work collaboratively with other team members on the same set of documents and we can work independently in real time. This saves us time and provides an accurate and efficient means for simultaneously marking up the same set of drawings and specifications on a project.

Pros
BlueBeam is easy to use for marking up drawings and other documents we use in the construction field. Its standard library of symbols and editing features allow quick and efficient work.

Cons
There have been times when Bluebeam locked up while I was reviewing a large PDF document with other large PDF documents also open.