All categories

Learn why GetApp is free

eFileCabinet Reviews

Original user

Pros

I purchased E file cabinet when it was first developed. I have used the original version because I do not use Microsoft office. The later versions require Microsoft Office to age maximum benefit and data encryption from the product. As a single practitioner I do not need encryption. So if you are considering purchasing the product be aware that the technical service is wonderful. The assistance they provide me with annual setting up new year universal templates is worth the reasonable annual maintenance cost for the service. The people are helpful and the phone support from Mountain time to Eastern time is convenient.

Cons

The current versions require Microsoft email if you want to attach a file to an email. I use Chrome so if I want to attach a file I have to print it to the desktop then attach it to the email. Then I have to delete it from the desktop.

It is great to hear that you find eFileCabinet service valuable and the support helpful. We are grateful for your business and we look forward to providing you with continued support for the success of your business.

Decent software and features but support is lacking

The software makes it easy to share client files between departments and simple to send files to the client when requested. Overall it is a good product.

Pros

We also use the SecureDrawer product to integrate sending and receiving files with our clients. I prefer e-file cabinet as it works better and seems like a better user experience. Overall I like the simple way to add files, categorize and use templates and search functionality. All work very naturally and are easy to remember when I need to perform an action.

Cons

We run it on a local server and it often forgets or gets confused when doing the indexing. I add new clients so sometimes we cannot find the new folders and have to search for them manually. This is only an issue periodically but in my 4 years working with the software seems to happen more than any other product I have used in the past.

Thanks so much for your feedback. It's great to hear that we've been able to help your business with keeping things simple and organized. We are excited about some of the new updates being released soon that will improve the user experience even more to assist with some of the issues you mention here. We also have a support team that is available through phone, chat, and email that is ready and willing to help with any additional questions you have. We look forward to providing continued support for the success of your business!

Thoughts after using EFC

We switched from SmartVault to EFC. First off, their tech support people are really helpful and so far we have been extremely satisfied with them. Upon getting our EFC database set up on our server we were hit with a slew of problems. First was an issue with the way the SmartVault data was transferred. When going through the purchasing process of EFC the sales person made it sound like EFC tech people...

Pros

I like that the software is available to be hosted on our dedicated in-house server because we don't trust our client's data in the cloud.

Cons

I don't like how you cannot edit pdf's within the program. For example, you cannot permanently rotate or delete a page within a pdf document without having to pay for a 3rd party pdf editing program. Our employees don't particularly enjoy the user interface that shows the folder and document structure. It was a big change from Smartvault where the client list is on the left-hand side of the screen and then the rest of the screen contained the drawer folder structure and the documents within those folders. In EFC you are forced to select a folder to view the documents within that folder, but you are unable to view documents in two separate folders at the same time.

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us this feedback. We appreciate your patience and trust in us as we resolve some of the issues you have had and are excited about some future updates that will create an even better, smoother user experience.

efilecabinet review

Despite some glitches, I found efilecabinet as very robust product

Pros

1) Ease of use - It was so much easier to setup efilecabinet for loading and retrieving document 2) Very easy to control user access to the Cabinet, Drawer and folders 3) With Sidekick on desktop, using efilecabinet is like using file explorer. No user training required 4) We got efilecabinet approved for 17A(4) from FINRA so were able to replace Broadridge repository

Cons

1) It is not possible to generate few simple reports. For example, I wanted to send out an email listing all the documents stored in certain folders that day but that is not possible 2) Found that douments which passed retention were not automaticall moving to Expired folder

It's great to hear that eFileCabinet is able to help your business by making your documents easy to access with user controls and with little training required! We love to be able to support your business and look forward to providing you with continued support. Thank you for taking the time to leave us with this feedback.

Great storage for a small CPA firm

After the collapse of DMS from Lacerte we tried one other program (a disaster) before we found Efile Cabinet.

Pros

Easy to organize and standardize your file cabinet can look like you want it to. With standardized naming conventions, folder structure and retention features you can automate your files. We love the open, edit and save features of the program. Search the entire cabinet for lost files by name and date. Encrypted for your clients protection and big enough to store over 5,000 clients with almost 20 years of records.

Cons

The search function has slowed down with the latest software update. I cannot drag emails from out look to the cabinet. I have to drag them to the desktop first. Sometimes when you create a new folder for a client it creates 2 with the same name. The secure drawer portal is difficult to work with. (my client who is a computer programmer complained about it) So we switched to Secure File Pro for a portal.

We're happy to hear that you have enjoyed the security features of our system and that it's helped to provide protection for your clients. We are excited to have some future updates coming that will improve the user and client experience even more, and look forward to continuing support for your business. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review!

2018 feedback

We experienced a lag time with the end of the tax filing season. Would have been better with more bandwidth to help us in the field.

Pros

The easiness of the usability and the relationship of RightSignature.

Cons

1) I do not like the easiness of the delete function, without securing the delete key 2) I want the ability to upload folders into the client accounts 3) I would like an easy function to resend an expired link to a client. Often times, when clients are purchasing or refinancing their homes, they need the tax return from a year prior. 4) I would like the ability to send a link to an isolated item in the efilecabinet ( i.e. a specific W2 or a certain receipt that the client requests. ). I would like the option to right-click and send a link for the specific item 5) I would like the ability to upload electronic folders into a client name in efilecabinet.

It's great to hear you enjoy the usability feature and the way our software integrates with RightSignature. We are excited for some new updates launching shortly that will help improve some of this concerns you have mentioned and that will provide an even better user experience. If you have any questions or ever need additional support, our success team is here to help you via chat, phone, or email. Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review!

This is an awesome Data Manangement

9.99 sometimes they are not on Accountant's schedule (4/15 9/15 and 10/15) so they have so special instructions for us during our peak season. This needs to be improved.

Pros

It's easy to use and the customer service is superb.

Cons

It takes some hand holding to get use to the software. The video Library isn't searchable so I constantly have to ask for guidance on training I desire. it can be more client-friendly.

It's so great that you feel the customer service is superb, thank you so much for sharing! We have also started providing Premium Support available 24 hours per day Mon-Sat and we will have your account manager contact you to discuss how we can support your needs as an accountant with a very busy schedule. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us this great review.

Functionality & Ease of Use is the Name of the Game

We can easily access, analyze, and print out any needed document at any workstation as needed. This functionality makes Efilecabinet very valuable to our company. I have had very good experiences getting technicians when needed except on a few occasions when demand is very high. Each tech is knowledgeable and does a quick and efficient job of getting us back on track. We have been using your software for 6 or 7 years with little downtime or problem.

Pros

Everything! It seems that all of our employees find Efilecabinet to be very easy to use, and that the functionality of it does everything we need it to quickly and efficiently. Using the EfileScanner makes moving documents into Efilecabinet so quick and easy that even new personnel find it a joy to use. Having all our important documents so readily available and kept secure is a strong value of this software. We have over a Terabyte of documents saved in Efilecabinet and know that documentation is safe.

Cons

It seems some Windows updates have a bad habit of destroying our scanner application files so that I have to call in every once in a while on some employee computers needing to have a technician delete and reinstall parts of the scanner operational files in the Hkey area of Windows.

Keep it simple and convenient

We are a CPA firm, concentrating on tax preparation, consulting and planning. With eFC, there is no more time consuming hunting for the right folder, no more cumbersome paper files to manage and store. We converted several years ago and have never looked back with nostalgia to the old days! Now we can wow our clients with easy, quick access to their information and that impresses them and makes our days happier and less stressful.

Pros

eFileCabinet has made our lives so much easier and our client service much more efficient. Any staff member can look up a client's info. When a client stops by with an additional document or sends something to us by email, it is a quick and simple process to file the new doc.

Cons

Much as we love the simplicity and ease of using eFileCabinet, it sometimes feels as if the programming is not quite keeping up. Files will lock up occasionally. There has always been a simple work-around to any of the little annoying problems that arise but who wants problems ever?

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review. We are excited to hear that eFileCabinet has helped make your lives easier and your client service more efficient. We look forward to continuing to support the success of your business in the future with some new updates that will improve the user and client experience even more.

EFC review

When we purchased Efile Cabinet we went from standard filing to nearly 90% paper free retention. Some items have to be retained in original form and others do not. Any items that have a legal retention period such as driver logs are set to shred at the appropriate time so that eliminates the need to go in and do it manually. We probably save enough storage time to be the equivalent of another employee.

Pros

The system was relatively easy to set up and get into operation. Each user has the ability to set their own retention period for every drawer and accessing our files has never been easier. When there is that rare problem the online help system has been able to remote in and fix it right away. We use it for everything from DOT compliance paperwork to Bill of Lading retention as well as filing our maintenance records.

Cons

I know it is necessary but it seems like there is a new release every year.

Wow, it is so great to read this wonderful review and learn more about your experience using eFileCabinet and how you use it within your business! We look forward to providing you with continued support for the success of your business!

Efile, can't live without it.

Time saver, no more running around to locate files. Can send documents password secured by email. You can design how you want to setup and use efile with customization of templates, user and file retention. Customer service is great, love that on our desktop version help link takes me directly to the website. I can then lookup my question with answer to resolve or chat with a rep. in a timely manner.

Pros

Ease of use and security features to allow secured access to offsite users. Customer can send Financial information, Examiners can review documents cutting down on onsite visits. Option to scan in Black/White, Gray-scale or Color help with photos in our Appraisal. No need to retain hard copy file. We can print our Credit Reports and Business Searches directly to efile. Saving in both process and cost by skipping the need to print then scanning. PDF received we can move and drop directly to efile.

Cons

Haven't experienced any cons and we've used this for years now.

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us this review. It's great to hear that you love the ease-of-use our features provide and that you haven't experienced any cons. We love to support your business and are excited to continue to provide support for your success.

eFile Review

For the most part efile is easy to use and is helpful in keeping our files organized. I wish that the customer service was a little more helpful in fixing the one major problem that we keep running into, but overall we will continue to use this product in the future.

Pros

When changing over our computers a few years ago, we moved all client files and office operation files from our computers to this cloud based efile system. The move over was easy and did not take long to upload. It is easy to organize and create new drawers and files. Also, the efile buddy is helpful and easy to download onto anyone's desktop.

Cons

We have had problems of files being deleted. When calling to efile customer service, no one has been able to help us. This has been going on for a while and no one seems to be able to give us an answer. It doesn't happen often, but when it does it is random and has deleted all kinds of files including PDFs, Word documents and Excels.

Thank you so much for your feedback, we really appreciate the review. We want to ensure the best experience possible for your business and will have your account manager reach out to you regarding some of the issues you have mentioned. Thanks for taking the time to leave us this review!

eFileCabinet is a great answer to document storage!

I now have at my fingertips all the documents I could possibly need! Instead of having to go to a different office to look in a file or go downstairs to the archives to find a document - I simply go to my cabinets and quickly pull it up! This saves me a lot of time and effort!

Pros

I have set up my cabinets and draws just as if they were sitting in my office. It's logical and easy to use. Since I keep student records I have one cabinet that has all the transcripts from the time the school opened until the present. Then I have individual cabinets for each graduating year with students in alpha order with the documents that we must keep forever. It's soooo easy to quickly find a student or a specific document.

Cons

When it has been a few days since I went into my eFileCabinet I find that it takes a bit for it to get 'warmed up'. Navigating between cabinets, drawers or documents can be very slow. If I'm uploading a new document, it can act as though I didn't drop and drag the document and instead of immediately showing me that the document is there, I sit and wait and wait. Then, I'll try to upload again and find that now I have two of the document and must delete one. Other than that - it works great for me!

It's great to hear how you have been able to set up eFileCabinet to work exactly the way you need it to for your business, thanks for taking the time to leave us this review!

Began with eFileCabinet when I began Financial Planning

It was acceptable to FINRA & SEC, where as the Thompson Reuters File Cabinet Solutions was not and I had used FCS for many years before going to eFileCabinet. I went on-line as soon as I could and have enjoyed the use ever since and upgraded to Rubex and that is working fine as well.

Pros

Cons

There were some functions of the Desktop version that I wished worked on the On-line version. I use to be able to drag a PDF file over to the Rubex but now I have to drag it over to the desktop first then drag it into Rubex. Please bring that back.

It's great to hear more about how you use eFileCabinet for your business, thank you for sharing your experience with us and leaving us this review!

Centralizing Human Resources

We achieved our goals of centralizing our records for each in accessing, along with being more responsible to no longer wasting paper, wasting time filing, or off site storage costs.

Pros

We recently centralized our overall Human Resource function, with personnel at multiple location, to one central location in California. We needed a solution that was easy to implement, provided ease in accessing and storing information and cost effective. E file cabinet provided all of this to us and more.

Cons

Set up was a little difficult in not having a dedicated individual who really knew the software to guide us.

Thank you so much for your feedback, it's great o learn more about how eFileCabinet has helped your business and that we've been able to help provide a centralized place for your documents. We appreciate your review!

E-filecabinet

My biggest positive for this sofftare in general is that it is in the cloud and saves me from having local computer crashes and data loss. I can also access the database from home or anywhere I want or need to which is convenient. I also have an employee that works from their home and this works out well for this.

Pros

I was forced to leave my other electronic workpaper program as they discontinued use. I liked this software because it functions similarly to what I was using before. It is easy to use.

Cons

I had a desktop version before moving to the cloud and had several major problems with that version as it corrupted on my computer several times and did not automatically index to a cloud backup. That was in 2015. Since moving to the cloud after that it has been very good.

We love to hear that the cloud version of eFileCabinet has been so successful with helping your business and providing you with the flexibility you need for protection and having employees work offsite. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us this review.

Info at my Fingertips

Everyone can access a room full of file cabinets from their desktop. We used to take the customer's phone number and then go pull the file, look through 20 years of papers to find the one we were looking for, then call the customer back. Now while on the phone we can look up the information which is filed in each client's folder by category and then date, and relay the info all within seconds.

Pros

Information for over 10,000 client's accessed instantly. I don't have to leave my desk to hunt down a folder. No more hours of standing in the file cabinet room to file each week.

Cons

Some of the actual software is hard to use on the administrative side. Making templates or customizing is not so easy and is time consuming.

It's so great to hear how eFileCabinet is able to help your business support over 10,000 clients! We're excited to be a part of your team and look forward to providing you with continued support for the success of your business. Thanks for taking the time to leave us this review!

Stable and speedy application that keeps us organized

The overall experience with eFileCabinet has been positive. It's been a fantastic way to continue our move into the paperless world.

Pros

Stable and secure; speedy searches; super easy to add new contacts; we love the auto-create folder structure; great retention settings; The ability to quickly add new folders to existing contacts; Prompt and very helpful support team

Cons

We don't like that we can't attach a document from within our email application. The document attachment process must start from with eFileCabinet. Not that this is difficult fortunately. Also, when emailing a document from eFileCabinet, the application prompts you each and every time to encrypt the attachment. No way to turn this off. Finally, eFileCabinet doesn't play nicely with older versions of Fujitsu's ScanSnap software.

It is great to hear that you love how speedy and easy to use the eFileCabinet software is! We love to support our customers in running their businesses more efficiently. We are also excited about some upcoming features that will improve the user experience even more and will allow for some custom settings that will address some of the issues you mentioned. We will have your account manager contact you to discuss these solutions further. Thanks for leaving us this review!

w. shaw

Pros

It provides an excellent backup and allows me to reduce the use of paper .I scan W-2s, 1099's, escrow papers and worksheets into it. It allows easy access to these items for emailing to my clients and, in case of audit, I have the worksheets to go by.

Cons

Whereas it backs up to the cloud, it doesn't back up everything every time. I called for support on this and they had no answer. The other item that I find difficult is emailing direct from the software. It won't use any of my email addresses and you can't email more than one file at a time.

It is great to hear how eFIleCabient is able to support your business with excellent backup and by reducing your need for paper. We are excited about some new updates being released shortly that will improve the user experience even more, and will hopefully help the issue with backing up to the cloud that you have experienced. Someone from our support team will also be in contact with you to discuss this further so we can ensure eFileCabinet is working the best that it can to support your business. Thanks for leaving us this review!

eFileCabinet Review

We are happy with it but it has been frustrating. But for the price its a very good option.

Pros

I like the search option. You can search for a client by first name or last. Customer service is incredible. They really know their product.

Cons

We have issues with permissions. We store a file and you can't see it listed. This is getting better. Templates are a little bit complicated to do especially since you have to apply to drawers individually. We also didn't know there could be an issues with too many clients in a drawer. We had to set up more drawers to spread them out.

Thank you so much for leaving your feedback in this review. It's great to hear that you enjoy the search functionality. Your customer success manager is available to assist with any further issues you may have with templates, and we hope to be able to provide a smoother process for your users going forward. We're excited to have some future updates coming that will improve the user and client experience even more, and look forward to continuing to support the success of your business.

Getting Better

Very reliable, easy to maintain, super easy to retrieve documents.

Pros

I love the simplicity for others to use the software via Secure Drawer. Once you've figured out a few kinks, which are very few now, it is very simple to use. It is always available, never down so very reliable.

Cons

Customer Service is online only which is very frustrating when you'd like to speak to explain the issue. It is very hard to initially learn how to maneuver the system and integrate Secure Drawer.

It's great to hear that you love the simplicity for using our software through Secure Drawer. We are excited to tell you about our Premium Support, which is available 24 hours per day, Monday through Saturday. We also have an available support team available via chat, phone, and email to assist you as quickly as possible. Your customer success manager has reached out and spoken with Heidi about this, and would love to speak with you if you have further questions. We help this provides a solution for your support needs and we look forward to providing continued support to you and for the success of your business.

What I Like and Don't Like About eFile Cabinet

EFile Cabinet saves us from having to keep hard copies of our clients files and this, in turn, saves us from having to buy filing cabinets and finding room for them. Files are easy to access.

Pros

It is super easy to scan and file documents with eFile Cabinet. Filing directly from the computer to eFile is a great way to save on paper. Restoring deleted files is a very simple process.

Cons

There are glitches with the Indexing Service not running. It used to be that a message would appear on screen letting me know that the service has stopped which would then necessitate a call to eFile Cabinet. I finally had them walk me through what needed to be done to correct the problem and I now correct it myself. The eFile tech people are all wonderful to work with - they are patient and always fix the problem.

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review with your feedback. It is great to hear that our support team is good to work with and that they've been able to help you with technical issues. We look forward to providing continued support for your business.

EFile Cabinet

I live in Maine part of the year and Florida the rest of the year. I am a CPA so I need client files and copies of prior tax returns and support documents. Never a problem. Since I have used the software since 2003, there sometimes situations where I need to look back a return or the documentation.

Pros

The software is easy to use, but the most important point is the high level of support when I cannot get something to work. Never had a problem and the help is super patient when I have not explained my problem. Always fix it right the first time.

Cons

Like everyone I wish it was cheaper, but I would rather pay for quality than be sorry later.

Wow, thank you for leaving us this great review. It's great to hear that you love the mobility of the system as you move between Maine and Florida, and that you've had a great experience with eFileCabinet storing your documents. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to providing you with continued support for the success of your business.

efc review

run a very good operation over there.

Pros

First off the customer service is phenomenal!...Enthusiastic employees who have a comprehensive knowledge of their software. The software is very good as well. If you don't use a document manager, this software will lower your blood pressure 10 points and let you take a 2 week vacation that you couldn't take before.

Cons

the older version let you see everything date sorted, now the newer version not have that....also when you upload to the newer version the prior dates that created pdf are obliterated...that's bad!!......also older version used to have a store again feature..........would get big points if you incorporated a to do list into the program.....dm of intuit does that.

It's great to hear that our software lowers your blood pressure and allows you to take vacations! We strive to provide great service and value to our customers and love to support their success as individuals and as a business. Thanks for leaving this great review.

The Good & the Bad

We now have all our customer records converted to efilecabinet so we're kind of married. The good news is that anytime I need a customer record when I'm taking a dog to the vet, I can quickly log on from anywhere and get that record. The bad news is that it took us a year to get to this point. Customer service is very lacking. In order to get answers, I have to make an appointment with a tech rep. Unfortunately, in my business, I do not have the luxury of setting an appointment and being able to be available for a call at a specific time. There are still issues to be ironed out, but I simply need my questions answered when I call, not in an appointment 2 days later.

Pros

Ease of use once I figured it out.

Cons

I'm still figuring out what I can and can't do. It didn't help that apparently, I was in no man's land for most of the year. We thought we were purchasing a cloud-based product (we don't have the storage capacity), but found out quite by accident when talking to a tech rep and got our subscription changed to "online". However, in renewing negotiations, I found that we were still being billed and supported as a desktop product.

Select your country

10+ YEARS RECOMMENDING SOFTWARE

© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.