HipChat Reviews

HipChat

Team communication built for business.

4.2/5 (457 reviews)

Pros
  • I like the ability to create room, private and public for communication, the ability to add your own emojis is a nice touch as well. Dark mode is a great modern feature.Verified ReviewerRead the full review
  • I like the ability to add alerts and have team members acknowledge the alerts as well. It's a great productivity tool and the connectivity is awesome.Austin B.Read the full review
  • It is a good normal chat, but it was not a superb solution for me at work. You can find any similar or better solutions for free.Verified ReviewerRead the full review
Cons
  • The only issue I can think of this Software is when you are using it on a mobile phone, sometimes it does not alert you whenever there is a message so there is an instance that you will miss it.Verified ReviewerRead the full review
  • Also, the inability to have custom notifications depending on the rooms that you need is also a problem.Verified ReviewerRead the full review
  • When you tried a wrong password too many times, it asks to select pictures with or without some type of images but its very buggy. Most of the times there are no responses.Verified ReviewerRead the full review
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
Manal Ibham

Team collaboration and communication

Reviewed 2018-10-29

If we want to collaborate with your team who is working in multiple projects, then this app should be your best choice.

Pros
This has been my first application used for team communication at work. It has no complicated learning phase and is very comfortable in using. The text chats and Audio calls are the features I mainly use and it has been to my satisfaction so far. The boards are the best feature which shows which project each member is attending to and also it allows us to provide feedbacks. Having the mobile app transfers the work on the go, which is one feature which makes me stick to it for so long.

Cons
Video calls, I have tried it a couple of times and it has too many glitches. Otherwise I love everything else about this app.

Vignesh Babu

One of the excellent collaboration tool that is simple and user-friendly.

Reviewed 2018-11-14

Easier and Simple tool for team collaboration or one-to-one communication. And it allows me to search the history and sharing the files with my colleagues.

Pros
One of the best thing in HipChat is the user interface, it is very simple and clean. It allows me to connect and collaborate easily with my colleagues and log all the activities for easier lookup for later point of time. And also allows me to create custom groups for discussion and problem solving, For example, I can set up a group for each incident and invite all the members from different members and work together to resolve the issue and archive it for future analysis. As well as, it is well integrated with other Atlassian products, So it allows me to notify and work with other members on the JIRA issues and track the progress.

Cons
The notification system is still buggy, it will arrange the users based on the recent messages instead will be added to the bottom of the stack and very difficult to find the notification based on the recent timings if we receive multiple notification on the same time. And another problem is, the video conferencing will not work most of the times and buggy. As well as, Status information is not customizable.

A Messaging App That Misses the Mark

Reviewed 2018-10-09

HipChat was the primary form of communication at my last office. It was a daily headache. It would consistently fail to notify me when I received messages, and the message interface would hardly ever load correctly the first time I opened it. The biggest issue with HipChat was the poor video calling features. I had weekly video conferences with supervisors, and HipChat managed to last through the entire meeting about 10% of the time. The majority of the time, it failed to start entirely. If you're looking for a communication system at your work place, I would suggest looking elsewhere.

Pros
- Easy to manage group and private conversations - Easy to share files and images

Cons
- Inconsistent and unreliable video calls - Chat loading bugs - Inconsistent message notifications - Large, frequent updates that never seemed to solve problems

Likelihood to recommend: 4/10

Good Chatting tool

Reviewed 2020-05-06

Good chat program that will satisfy your needs to keep the communication flowing.

Pros
It is quite easy to use and keep the chat going among your colleagues. It is also good to create groups.

Cons
If you are a memeber of too many groups it can get overwhelming with the notifications so you have to manage them.

John Thomas

Some great features make it worth a good try!

Reviewed 2018-09-23

Pros
It involves all features for effective chat and communication. Videoconferencing works superbly. It enables an internal private chat with the feature of instant messaging which is very useful. The chat can not only consist of individual members but is also open to team or group chatting services. One of the best features of the application is its cloud-based storage. All the text, data, images and messages don’t need to occupy your system space and can be stored directly in the cloud. This can help to maintain and improve system performance and also avoid the storage of any malicious files received on the PC. The message history is searchable so you can find relevant information as and when required.

Cons
The application had a lot of features discontinued due to bad functionality; some of them were useful though. The chat history search function doesn't work properly for older messages. It keeps on loading when we search an old message in the history.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Joseph Kurian

This tools had helped us stay connected and get our projects on track.

Reviewed 2019-03-08

Pros
This application had helped us to create temporary rooms for clients and engineers who aren't customer facing, we don’t really have to keep checking for meetings. The application notifies whether there is an important meeting. It provides ample number of integrations, it is not at all a task to install and update these. We can easily pick up from where we left off and it has great searchability feature. It is very easy to use hipchat, and you would be surprised to find no delays in sending and receiving chats or messages, unlike other similar tools. It provides a lot of platforms and it is great for software firms like ours.

Cons
The desktop application needs to be upgraded and should allow more customization. At times, I am not able to receive calls, hope they would fix this issue soon! If we are using the mobile application, we don’t receive notifications about meetings. I hope they integrate with some project management tools, it would be really helpful!

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Kevin Pamatian

One of the best communication tool out there

Reviewed 2018-09-12

Positive experience over all, it is very user friendly and easy to use and I will recommend it to some of my friends too!

Pros
One thing I liked the most is the feature where you can create rooms for people that works on different projects as they can easily collaborate with the rest of the group in real time, sending files and photos is not a problem at all as well. The search option on the thread is also great as you can easy back track the messages that you sent/received in the past which compared to other apps it will take time for you to scroll up/down just to read those.

Cons
There are times that there will be outages, I cannot send messages or files and I will get an error that says "message was not sent" even though my connection is up. I am hoping that they will get this addressed as soon as possible.

Tiffany Rice

It works and it's fun

Reviewed 2018-10-22

Overall I like HipChat. We use it internally for cross-company communications.

Pros
My favorite part about Hipchat is it allows you to have a little fun in the work environment. You can use particular calls such as /giphy, /me, etc. to allow the software to pull a random giph into the chat window. It also comes with emoji's as well. It allows you to communicate with other internal channels within your company as well as create private rooms and have 1-on-1 conversations with other users.

Cons
What I like least about this software is that aside from the pros that I've mentioned, there's not really a lot of customization options available. Just your basic contrast and font differences.

Nicole Nagy

Hipchat helps my team communicate in the quickest, most efficient way.

Reviewed 2018-05-18

The communication alone is a huge benefit. But knowing who is online and offline with the green, red and yellow dots makes my job easier because then I know who is online and who is available to talk to about a certain product/project. The ability to save conversations, store conversations and have conversations quickly is incredible.

Pros
Hipchat allows you to communicate effectively and quickly. Working on a design team, it helps us share work and provide feedback while all working remotely. The boards help us keep track of who is on what project, and we share what we are working on within each board.

Cons
Finding shared resources in hipchat is a little difficult. I'm not the biggest fan of the right hand side bar on a board that just shows links. I would prefer for those links to be able to be named or have the conversation tied to it, or an image attached to understand which link is for which project.

Vona McCray

What would I ever do without you?

Reviewed 2018-02-14

Pros
HipChat has given me the ability to speak to my entire team via message or video chat. This can happen regardless of if i am in the office or in my car. Just in case you're trying to contact someone and they are not in hipchat that fact that is notified via email that someone is talking about them, or that they have a message is amazing. So many times we send a team member a text message they never received. One of the greatest moments in my life was being sent something important via Hipchat and going back and finding it with ease... I love you hipchat ...

Anonymous

Most positive experience, but not without flaws

Reviewed 2018-06-20

As a chat product, HipChat is a great real-time collaboration tool. You can easily and instantly share and transfer files, links, and code, which was extremely helpful to our on-site teams. There are nice amenities that create an element of fun for users, but just be warned that it can also easily lead to dips in productivity. Still, it has more benefits then pitfalls, provided you are able to now able to more closely monitor and restrict users' capabilities. I would recommend HipChat without hesitation with this level of administration in place.

Pros
* For actual chat purposes, it's perfect. Messages transfer immediately (literal real-time), and we were able to collaborate with colleagues in multiple time zones quickly and efficiently. * The added in features were fun, such as embedded gifs and links. At times, this proved to be distracting, though, and we had no control over user-added private rooms (more on this below). Still, where appropriate, it added the right level of enjoyment to a business tool. * The integration with JIRA was pretty seamless. We were able to share ticket notes, links, and resources immediately through HipChat. * The app for phones was pretty easy to use as well. You could pick up where you left off from one to the other without any data loss or delay.

Cons
* We had frequent outages with the connectivity, not due to our network either. When it was on, it was great, but at times we were never sure when it was going to work. * Searching history was a nightmare, as old messages took a very long time to load. What's more, we did not have unlimited history with our version, which was problematic. * We did not have the level of control we needed to prevent abuse of the system. Certain agents took it upon themselves to create private rooms for grousing, which led to problems in productivity and morale. We could not prevent these rooms from being created, nor could we shut them down. This was ultimately what led to our decision to switch chat services.

Likelihood to recommend: 6/10

Damian Lopez

I like the user interface. It is simple, clean and very easy to use.

Reviewed 2018-01-23

I like the concept of the video chat, but I feel it's not executed as well as some other video based softwares (such as Zoom). It's great for just video conferencing, but if you need to screen share, it can be a bit laggy. If you're looking for a way to get your remote team connected, HipChat is a great software. It's great for quick meetings when you just need to connect face-to-face, but if you need to do more "robust" screen sharing, I would suggest jumping to another software for that level of detail

Pros
Hipchat is a simple, easy to ease, peer-to-peer chat program. It does log all the activities, including chats, uploads, images, screenshots. It also allows you to create as many custom rooms for discussion or problem solving, for example, we generally setup a room for each JIRA being worked on so the right people always has access to the latest information. The activity log is crucial to be able to dig through chats and information sent a month or even several months back. Don't forget about the customized emojis (shared across entire company)

Ramakrishna Gopaluni

Hip Chat is a very good tool to communicate internally or externally with our project members.

Reviewed 2018-03-14

We use HipChat in our project as it comes with JIRA and other Atlassian software's like confluence and bitbucket.

Pros
We use HipChat in our project as it comes with JIRA and other Atlassian softwares like confluence and bitbucket. Our teammates communicate daily and use it in both formal and informal ways to manage projects/software development. To create the rooms for discussion is very easy as it is collobarated with JIRA and confluence. Since HipChat and JIRA are belongs to same group so HipChat has decent and hassle-free integration with JIRA. It is having the Cross-platform support and hence runs on most of the computing devices and it is having the efficient search too. Very good in Media/file sharing across the members.

Cons
Mobile app is not very responsive, Sometimes connection to HipChat servers are taking too long even on good internet speed. We cannot use this tool for video and audio calls as the response is very slow. Costwise Little expensive Better notification system is required when the the user is offline.

Anonymous

Great communication tool for the office

Reviewed 2018-01-29

Pros
Hipchat is very easy to use and intuitive. Some great features are that users can create public/private chat rooms and add people to them very quickly. It integrates with the rest of the Atlassian product, being able to know when someone makes a pull request o commits some code (Bitbucket), when a new ticket has been filed (JIRA), when a specific build has finished successfully (Bamboo), but also it integrates with different products, such as Datadog, Salesforce, Jenkins, Giphy, etc. Basically, it eases the communication between the people throughout the company, no matter how far you are from the others.

Cons
If you configure tons of notifications (when people commit code, create Pull Requests, create tickets, apart from configuring bots to monitor services such as Datadog, etc.) for a room and there is a lot of activity, this becomes a pain instead of being an advantage. But this is more an inconvenient regarding the configuration the user can perform, not about the product.

Anonymous

Great way to communicate with your Colleagues

Reviewed 2018-09-12

This Software allows us to communicate with our colleauges real time and much quicker compare to when it is sent via email. Mobile App can be improved on but overall the experience is good.

Pros
HipChat is one of the most user-friendly and efficient software that is commonly used in the Office. Using this Sotware you can create a team that is only dedicated for a specific line of Business in order for them to communicate easily. It is also one of the easiest way to get an answer with your inquiry as it will be posted in a room of people with different knowledge either with the Business process or the products. You can easily send a link, file and messages in real time and get responses immediately which is great specially if the concern is urgent and will be fixed asap.

Cons
The only issue I can think of this Software is when you are using it on a mobile phone, sometimes it does not alert you whenever there is a message so there is an instance that you will miss it. Apart from that this is a very useful tool.

Deb Pelletier

Great communications tool for any organization

Reviewed 2016-12-08

As a nonprofit, HipChat generously granted us this tool to create work teams and improve communications across our organization. Plus, it's integration with other collaboration tools such as Asana really enabled us to improve our communications and work flow. There was a small learning curve in setting up HipChat and integrating it with other tools, but the user interface is quite simple after that. We did have some difficulty getting HipChat running on some PCs, while other PCs and Macs were fine. But the fact it's web-based and platform agnostic makes it a great tool that we use every day, in conjunction with the free version of Asana.

Pros
User friendly and very effective way to communicate across teams. Platform agnostic, mobile, easy to use. Also like the fact files are archived and searchable. Unlimited users for us as a nonprofit organization is an enormous bonus.

Cons
Not what I need for project management, so we integrated HipChat with Asana (free version) to add that element. Was buggy on some PCs, but not sure why. The video call feature is on desktop only.

Luis Carreño

A good chat system, although with problems

Reviewed 2018-07-18

Pros
For my day to day as a student, HipChat has turned out to be an interesting alternative to keep in touch with my friends, but also with my teachers. The application has an excellent system of sending data and documents, which come out and are received instantly, thus allowing you to always have a fluent chat between friends, family or teachers. Also with the latest updates have implemented different gifs and emoticons that help keep the conversation fun with your friends. As a bonus, I think that HipChat has a very comfortable, simple and sober interface, making it an easy to use program, and very easy to understand the first time. Making anyone know how to comfortably use the chats and all the functions it offers.

Cons
Although the mobile application offers instant synchronization with the desktop app, if it is true that it does not feel as comfortable as your desktop version. You have to lock in a lot more, to suddenly close the chats and when looking for old conversations, you use too many phone resources, because it makes it quite uncomfortable to move through the application.

First HipChat then coffee

Reviewed 2018-05-17

Pros
In a global company with offices around the world you need to communicate with other employees and hipchat is for that. If you don't want to miss something important you will get email if you are offline. Search history is endless - no information will lost. List of files and links used in conversation makes work easilier. GIFS :)

Cons
Sometimes there is problem with connection or something - you send message twice while clicking "retry". There is a problem with conversation history with people that are not working anymore in you company - it disappears. If you send important message with some data that you need in your work to ex-employee, you have a problem. If you use www aplication you can around this problem, but it is not easy.

Rick Hutchinson

Transformed how we communicate & makes remote team member's accessible

Reviewed 2017-05-18
Review Source: Software Advice

I have not used Hipchat competitors extensively so I cannot compare features or anything like that, but I would say I am very satisfied with Hipchat. I work remotely and find that I use hipchat more often than one on one conversations even when I'm in the office.

Pros
Creating a new room for multi-person semi-private conversations is simple. I use the search capabilities all the time to find previous conversations. It works well.

Cons
Every so often they experience down time. We haven't been too disrupted by that though. Alerts seem to be confused when using both the desktop app and mobile app. There will be times when messages go unnoticed for days because hipchat didn't properly alert the recipient. A simple email or resending the chat message alleviates the problem.

Perfect collaboration chat application

Reviewed 2017-11-14

This application allows us to collaborate instantly. It's infinitely more useful than email or any other method of communication. Hipchat allows us to always be connected with a desktop app, a web app and a great mobile app.

Pros
The applications interface is very straightforward. Anyone who has used any chat app in the past such as IRC, AIM or even competitor products will know exactly what to do and how to do it upon opening the app for the first time. The web app is also essential, when using a computer other than your own you can log right in on any browser and all your conversations are accessible. The mobile app is great for those who want to stay connected while out of office.

Cons
I occasionally will miss a notification but I feel that may be more the fault of Mac OS. If they could make a "missed chat" notification a little more apparent this app would be perfect.

Anonymous

Good communicator and chat tool

Reviewed 2018-08-01

Ease of use and effective communication with the team

Pros
I like the integration capabilities and the interface is easy to use across various platforms like iOS app, browser and mobile. The experience is very intuitive across all device and browser types . History is automatically reflected and available without any update or upgrade requirements.

Cons
There are a lack of customizable status indications that are available. Also, there have not been many updates and refreshes in experience in the recent times and the overall experience feels a little jaded now. Also, the smileys section needed to be expanded a little from just the basic ones that are currently available now

Mayur Thapar

A better and easy chat interface for busienesses.

Reviewed 2018-08-13

Pros
It works efficiently as a chat application. The presence of gif files and links make the atmosphere very interactive. The application is very simple to use. Even the versions for mobile phones are very easy-to-use. The chat rooms built by the users could be made either private or public, depending on the circle in which the contacts fall.

Cons
The previous messages take literally a long time to load. Sometimes, the servers take a long time to respond to requests. Hence, audio and video conferences are used limitedly. Also, in some versions, there is no way to check out messages before a specific date set as the limit. Beyond it, there is no way to retrieve older messages. The mobile application could be made more efficient. Compared to other similar applications, they are more expensive.

Likelihood to recommend: 6/10

IM and Communication tool

Reviewed 2018-08-07

Good Communication and IM tool for team

Pros
I have used JIRA extensively in both my current and past jobs and I believe one of the biggest advantages to HipChat is its integration with other Atlassian tools like JIRA and Confluence. HipChat helps the team communicate with each other outside of emails and the above integration helps with building an entirely comprehensive ecosystem around it.

Cons
The UI of the app now feels a little outdated and jaded as there have not been many refreshes that have happened in the recent past. Also, the inability to have custom notifications depending on the rooms that you need is also a problem.

Simple and easy to use

Reviewed 2018-12-17

Pros
Hipchat is a very easy to use chatting software. It's straightforward and clean interface allows you to always get to what you need to quickly. Group chat functions are good and the history searching helps you to find that 'one conversation from a couple weeks ago' when you need to reference it.

Cons
The advanced add-ons/integrations can be useful, but are difficult to use. It's hard to remember how to access them and what special commands are required to get the functionality to be valuable. Group chat ownership limitations also can be annoying since the owner has limited ability to delegate powers to other users.

Sandra Onwusoro

Simple to use,clean interface and gets job done.

Reviewed 2018-07-14

Pros
Hipchat is intuitive and has been handy for connecting with every member of my team at work.Eliminating the need to put a call through to them ,walk up to their desk or send an email. I like the emojis on Hipchat and I have always used them to add a bit of life to my chats with team members. There is also the ability to create chats into different groups ,depending on who and whom is involved in a particular project.

Cons
Notifications on hipchat have sometime been undependable . There have been occasions in time past when I have failed to receive a notification on Hipchat when one of my rooms was updated.