LiquidText Logo

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.65/10

Reviews by rating

Suggested alternatives

The ease with which it allows me to engage with the text: it helps me pinpoint the important, the useful, and underline the impressive lines distinctly.
This is very easy to use but as powerful as you want it to be. The company adds useful features on a regular basis and listens to the users.
Sometimes it freezes in my ipad and at times even after using the erasure i am unable to erase the line I had drawn. It remains there to disturb my reading.
Also, the citation option while exporting is useless because it mentions the page number of the document as 1, 2, 3 depending on the number it is at in the document.
File management UI within app and to other apps is terrible.

SG

Sherryl G.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 201-500 employees

Effective mind-mapping and thematic analysis tool for research

Have only been using LT for <3 months but this has been a game-changer for my post-graduate studies. I find that information overload contributes hugely to PG stress. LT synthesises vast amounts of fragmented information into a coherent whole, making research just a tad more enjoyable if not less painful.

Pros

(1) ability to tag highlights in order to code themes into disparate pieces of information (2) search functionality within a project (3) mind-mapping capability with link to source information in one place (4) integration with cloud directories and reference manager (Zotero) (5) pen compatibility and usability (6) ease of use (7) great productivity and information management software that allows greater knowledge retention and comprehension

Cons

(1) Zotero integration needs improvement. The highlights made in LT does not translate well back into Zotero so an annotation summary cannot be generated from these highlights. (2) inability to lock items into place within the workspace (3) the workspace keeps resizing into the smallest scale even when there's not many objects in the workspace (4) when resizing the workspace, it's easy to drag objects out of place because they cannot be locked into place

HB

Harriet B.

Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 employees

LiquidText is Pretty Dang Good!

'Business problems'?? I'm not in business. And I don't think LiquidText is for business. Like Zotero, it's a tool for academics who want to read pdfs, take notes, and organize annotated pdfs. And also comment on student papers. For academics, whose main business is doing this, it's the best tool available. IMHO instead of trying to capture the admittedly lucrative business market with this stuff about 'integration' and 'teams' you should just focus on the academic market. There are other pdf readers and handwriting apps around but nothing nearly so good as LiquidText for our purposes. I would focus and market aggressively to academics because that is LiquidText's strong suit.

Pros

I can underline and highlight pdfs and take notes on the side! File management is also pretty good--I can organize all those pdfs. I'm an academic--that's all I really want: to be able to read journal articles, highlight, and annotate, as I used to with xeroxes. And to have them all on my iPad so that I don't have to deal with huge stacks of paper. I don't 'integrate with business processes' because I don't have business processes, whatever they may be. I just need to pick up pdfs, read, highlight, and take notes and for this LiquidText is uniquely good--a treasure for academics! Never xerox again!

Cons

I wish that for taking notes that in addition to the desktop or whatever where I take notes that scrolls there were a *stationary* desktop where I could put stuff to refer to wherever I was in the scrolling desktop that would stay put. E.g. I'm doing Greek, have a pdf of the textbook and do exercises on the scrolling desktop. I'd like to have a place that didn't scroll where I could link vocabulary...

GS

Gunilla S.

Construction, 501-1,000 employees

Perfect for contractual work, document management and research

Cannot use in the EU with all documents, due to lack of description of data privacy

Pros

The canvas along the documents with the ability to jump back and forth

Cons

Still not stable enough for working together on one project. Partially due to synchronisation issues, and the approach of synchronising the whole project, when only some parts have been change.

IR

Ian R.

Law Practice, self-employed

Game Changing

I use Liquidtext for every case. The first thing I do when briefed is set up a project for the matter and import the documents. I only read the brief in Liquidtext so I can supplement it with authorities and other documents. I can note up the brief as I go and copy links to my wordprocessor document to develop into submissions, chronologies, cross examination and the like. I often create a project for reading and analysing the brief and another one to take to court. The court project has the links to a road map or speaking notes set out in a manner and in an order that allows me to take the court through the material.

Pros

The ability to link from a precise point in a document to a word or pages document allows me to navigate through a large volume of complex documents quickly. I am able to use the word or pages document to develop a range of additional documents including submissions, cross examination and advices while retaining the links in the original document.

Cons

There are two things that would vastly improve the app: 1. separate the workspace into tabbed sections so notes are easier to find. The workspace quickly becomes too cluttered to be of much use when dealing with multiple complex issues. Having a separate space for different topics such as one for each witness or issue would be great. 2. Being able to collaborate across multiple users. When working with other barristers, we end up with separate projects with our own links that cannot be shared.

UP

Ulises P.

Management Consulting, 11-50 employees

After using LiquidText for various years...

Pros

Great app to process documents, extract ideas and construct content maps. LiquidText is superb when it comes to combining original content with notes and organizing information in user-generated maps. I haven't seen anything similar. Kudos to the design team.

Cons

Unfortunately, LiquidText jumped on the monthly subscription bandwagon and extended features are only available if you "subscribe". As I write, HBO Max, Disney, Netflix and other subscription based content providers are seeing users dropping their subscriptions in record rates. Users simply can't keep up with incremental players with pay-per-view business models. They will eventually pick and chose...

TO

Trinitee O.

E-Learning, self-employed

College Student Here

Pros

I am a college student so all of my assignments are due electronically. It only makes sense for my notes to also be electronic and Liquid Text is the main app I use for notetaking. I have an iPad and Apple Pencil, so I download everything to put in a specific class (syllabus, PowerPoint, worksheets) and I am able to write on the documents! It's very simple and easy to use. My favorite feature is that I am able to pinch the document to see text on different pages at the same time (and can connect them together if I want to keep track of their correlation).

Cons

There is not much to do to improve. It could be easier to make folders and add multiple documents together.

BO

Burak O.

Civil Engineering, self-employed

Best app for the literature review.

I am really enjoying with LiquidText.

Pros

To organize academic journal papers, reading and taking notes afterwards was a headache for me. Although there are a few famous tools for these purposes, their note taking capabilities were not sufficient for me. LiquidText literally solved every problem I had regarding this. Creating notes while reading a paper and linking them with the relevant paragraph/figures is the killer future of this app.

Cons

Syncing is sometimes slow. I cannot say it is bad but I definitely feel some lag and I am sure this is not related to connection. Also, I didn't like the monthly based subscription model. It's not directly related to the LiquidText. Although, I understand they are trying to create a reliable income, as a user, I hate the idea of paying monthly fees for every app on my devices.

DG

Damaris G.

Biotechnology, 1,001-5,000 employees

Easy and perfect!

I love that I can use different colors with the pen, I can write using the keyboard, make additions to my documents using my iPad, and see my edits on the computer.

Pros

I find it great to edit a document on my iPad and see my edits on the computer, so I can continue working on the computer and then return to the iPad again; it's perfect! I love that I can use different colors with the pen and write using the keyboard!

Cons

I think it's perfect as is; however, I would like to open two pdfs at the same time and be able to edit and write on them at the same time.

SG

Sergio G.

Financial Services, 51-200 employees

Perfect Companion in your Researches

Perfect! I read a lot of manuals or technical guides and this helping me a lot. I use it as my first tool to study/research/guide to my day by day work.

Pros

Easy integration of documents, easy note taking, highlighting and easy to consolidate information from different sources to have a better understanding or vision as a whole on a specific Topic.

Cons

Sometimes is hard to find notes within various PDFs. Or sometimes it gets stuck when using "heavy" PDFs.

JH

Joseph H.

Law Practice, 11-50 employees

Document Review and Management Magic

Really, it's a dream come true. I didn't know I needed it until I found it. Now I can't work without it.

Pros

I love that I can organize, reference, and review hundreds of documents at once. I can organize ideas and memoranda, matching the law to the facts, and with links that immediately take me to the source document. It's magic! I love the ability to access my work across multiple devices!

Cons

I have been worried a couple times that I had lost work. I didn't lose any work, but I thought I had before learning how to re-sync and recreate the table.

AB

Anjali B.

Higher Education, 10,001+ employees

Great app for students

Good

Pros

1. Efficient 2. Easy to use 3. Simple layout 4. multiple options

Cons

Software hangs sometimes Pricey Old documents don't scan well

AM

Alejandro M.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

Amazing product

9/10

Pros

perfect to review pdf document, is like an ETL for Pdf. if you need to review whiter papers, scientific documents. Works multiplatform in a amazing way.

Cons

it has to improve certain issues for the ipad version.

DD

Daniel D.

Medical Practice, 5,001-10,000 employees

Best product for medical research!

Amazing! Since I started using these I am not going to use anything else for research.

Pros

Extracting part of PDFs and putting them into one single notepad, from different PDFs, in addition to handwriting. I have no idea why This is not more frequently used or advertised more

Cons

The highlighting feature in the iPad doesn’t look as nice in the computer

CW

Chun Wa W.

Biotechnology, 11-50 employees

Infinite note taking

Pros

It can be synchronized across multiple devices, and the standards in the pdf are so clear and easy to use that you can write down your thoughts in an unlimited number of ways.

Cons

The most advanced services are a bit expensive. And the sync between different devices is a bit slow.

IO

Irena O.

Law Practice, 11-50 employees

I like it! But it could be better

reading documents redacting highlighting signing allowing us to run paper free business

Pros

ease of use and instalment was easy love the pen and how it interacts with ipad love the ability to highlight the pdf docs

Cons

Tricky to import to the correct file - i need to have the file open to get the document in the file not so easy to move files between folders editing function (i.e. redacting) could be better - i currently use thick black pen to go over text that i want to redact the way notes display if i forward a LT doc with notes, especially if sent by pdf

NN

Nikolai N.

Higher Education, 501-1,000 employees

Best note taking and pdf review

Excellence

Pros

Easy and versatile, excellent sync service, multiple plataforms

Cons

Visually not fancy or elegant. The menu and tools are visually uglies.

AK

Atul K.

Computer Software, 10,001+ employees

LiquidText for students or anyone who likes to pen down what they study.

This is a great tool for me. I've not used this at a professional capacity, but for all my personal books and research I use this. I've also recommended this to friends that are pursuing their higher education.

Pros

The fluid interaction model between parts of the document, the flexible workspace that I can use to take notes, or do rough work. Ability to link two sections of the document, pinch and compress pages.

Cons

It's a little too heavy for my basic iPad to handle smoothly. Especially as the book gets bigger, the interaction gets choppier.

AM

Ashok M.

Hospital & Health Care, 501-1,000 employees

Good document manager

Good

Pros

Short Notes linkages Linkage with Parent document

Cons

Nothing noted at present . I will inform if any lomitation noted

KZ

Katy Z.

Education Management, 201-500 employees

The best review ever

It’s easy to pick up, it’s easy to keep things as together or as separate as desired. I’ve recommended it to a few fellow students

Pros

I love being able to link one comment to another. I also love being able to search an entire compilation

Cons

I really need more colors. I’m writing my dissertation, and color coding is vital

PS

Punit S.

Information Technology and Services, 501-1,000 employees

Must have app, useful in many ways

Very Impressed

Pros

Note Taking, Knowledge assimilation capability that it provides. You can use it for mind map creation, building a knowledge document across various sources.

Cons

It hangs in Windows often, so this needs to be fixed

GR

Gesine R.

Law Practice, self-employed

Gold

happy that liquid is there

Pros

Very much is intuitive to handle even though you have to adjust in the beginning

Cons

my email program opens automatically the free version not the business version; I cannot find the files easily I have worked on, I do not understand how to secure the files at a specific place.

SM

Saleem M.

Legal Services, self-employed

Great for legal pros

Pros

Combining robust search of large documents with note taking that allows you to side by side compare different docs is really useful.

Cons

Adding the ability to add (1) bates numbering or (2) exhibit stickers would be fantastic.

MB

Mark B.

Hospital & Health Care, 501-1,000 employees

This is a must to organise research

This is really excellent when looking at research to write a paper / presentation

Pros

Really like being able to keep several pdfs together and link similar items

Cons

Don’t really think there is a negative about this app

TM

Tiberiu M.

Higher Education, 51-200 employees

Great product!

Overall this is a great app and with a few minor improvements could be truly amazing!

Pros

The best part of the software is that you can write notes next to the pdf and keep them together. Overall, this is the most unique feature and the strength of LiquidText

Cons

I wish that there were an option to make the notes scroll along with the pdf (ie, when you scroll down the pdf the notes automatically scroll down). This would allow the app to be used for "writing in the margins" of the book, which is really useful.

LJ

Luc J M.

Management Consulting, 1-10 employees

Brilliant software. Just needs more fine tuning like easier undo and more fluent notes

Great APP !

Pros

Capacity to read/study documents . Link a todo reminder to read stored documents

Cons

Drawing/editing not powerful. Look at Notability as a model