Microsoft Excel Logo

Microsoft Excel

Spreadsheet software for formatting and analysis.

Microsoft Excel Reviews

User ratings

4.8

17.1K
  • Likelihood to recommend9.13/10

See full reviews by rating

Pros

Cons

It is so powerful, and I know I'm barely scraping the surface of what all it's capable of. It is amazing for tracking progress, analyzing data, and staying organzied.
I like the ease of this software to input my numbers that have been acquired over the year and is a good reference to keep my numbers straight.
I would easily recommend it as it's perfect for kids in school, in the work place etc. All it's features are detailed and open doors for me to be as creative as I want to be.
Some of the error messages are hard to decipher when using the software and the functions have confusing variables to put in at times.
The software cannot be readily integrated or harmonized with other information systems. The software is totally insensitive to human errors; it does not prompt the user when there is an error.
When there is a large amount of data entered into a spreadsheet it's inevitable to have trivial human mistakes made. Sometimes it's very difficult to find those mistakes later.

Microsoft Excel users...

Apache OpenOffice

LibreOffice-logocaret
+ 15

LibreOffice

How would you rate Microsoft Excel?

17,153 reviews

HE

Harlan E.

Practice Administrator

Medical Practice, 1-10 employees

Microsoft Excel User Review

Transcript

Harlan E.: Hi, my name is Harlan I'm Director of Operations at the construction company, and I give Excel...

Excel-lent!!

Transcript

Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Susan. I am a realtor and I give Excel five out of five stars. For more reviews like...

Best spreadsheet ever

I work with several DBMS for data modeling, however, when it is direct information from specific systems, I treat all my data with Excel. I create powerful applications using only Excel, its native functions and VBA programming. I am very satisfied with this program.

Pros

Excel is by far the best datasheet ever created. It has numerous functions for processing and calculating data in addition to being very powerful with massive data work. The functionality for exporting and importing information is also great and has many features.

Cons

I have nothing to complain about Excel when it comes to working, processing and generating information through data.

Microsoft Excel is the best for data entry

I've been working with it day to day in my last occupation as a statistical surveying examiner. I had my lord calculation sheet, with more than 30 sheets inside, all that efficient, and fundamentally at the start of every day, I opened the calculation sheet and didn't close it until I leave work. I utilized for the most part fundamental numerical and measurable usefulness, and I now and again made...

Pros

1. Easy to use and user-friendly. 2. Performs Calculations 3. Good for data visualization 4. Presence of developer tab for development purposes using VBA.

Cons

1. It is unsuitable for agile business practices. 2. It is hard to make clear decisions while using it.

Excel is not excellent

I try to avoid using Microsoft Excel as often as I can and go to something like Google Sheets, or better, Airtable. Google Sheets isn't perfect either, but there are so many things that Google has made very intuitive compared to Excel.

Pros

I like that a lot of people do use Excel and there are usually a lot of tutorials about it when I'm needing help with a certain equation, etc. It has a lot of capabilities and I know I have not come close to tapping its full potential.

Cons

I think Excel is very slow, especially compared to a solution like Google Sheets. Additionally, Sheets is much easier to use, more intuitive. Excel is often buggy, needs refreshing often (for the online version), is clunky and sluggish when trying to input data more quickly (even the local version is often slow).

Excel: The Best Way to Organize Your Data

I have had a positive experience with Microsoft Excel. It is a powerful tool that has helped me to be more efficient and organized in my work. I have used it to create spreadsheets, track data, and perform various calculations. It is user-friendly and has multiple features that make it a valuable tool for anyone who needs to work with a small amount of data.

Pros

I use Excel almost on a daily basis. I like many things about it, but some of my favorite features are the ability to quickly create charts and graphs and the ability to perform quick calculations. I also like the fact that Excel is very user-friendly and with advanced features that are easy to learn.

Cons

Sometimes the auto-formatting can be disadvantageous, for example in my case it auto-formats "Gene Names" into dates.

Microsoft Excel Review

Microsoft Excel has helped me in keeping accurate record for my business. It is very easy to use and pocket friendly.

Pros

Some of the best features include data validation, data protection auto formulas, the product is very easy to use even for novice user and it integrates with most work places

Cons

I like every bit of this software for the duration i have used it.

The original classic that just keeps getting better

Combing multiple spreadsheets from many sources using power query is so easy and fast.

Pros

Ease of use, great help, so many uses. Genuinely love the prompts when keying complex formulas.

Cons

When Microsoft update they often move menu options, which can be a little confusing!

First choice for spreadsheet

For beginners, excel is little bit tough to understand. we need some days to learn excel. after that, we can work in excel like a pro.

Pros

Excel is one and only software for manage dataset easily. compared to open office sheet or google sheet, excel is filled with numerous features. we can create dataset very easily, we can import datas from data servers directly, and we can also create automation by using macro technique.

Cons

The macro feature is little bit tough in excel. if we start macro recording, we can not pause of we can not undo one step in macro. so, we need to take more care when we recording macro.

Microsoft Excel Just For Me

It took me some time I had to go back and read some parts twice but I would not trade fore the world

Pros

This program is customer friendly it explain the step by step learning it makes thing easier to understand I am a hands on person but dealing with my Microsoft Excel program was a thing I could do with no help .

Cons

I have nothing that I liked least about this program. It helps in many ways I felt like a dummy before I got this program and if I can learn and master from it I know others will to .

Good use for data formatting and display

Pros

Easy to format data into different types to upload into different software, also easy to bulk update or split cells in a sheet

Cons

Some of the data visualisation tools are a little harder to master to get the right output, but lessons helped me understand It better!

You’ve got the most powerful spreadsheet software!

Excel offers a lot of spreadsheet fun for both novice and professionals, but it has provided us with more than we can chew. You must train yourself heavily to use every feature it provides.

Pros

1. Microsoft Excel has been a flagship software of the company for ages. It has been growing every year and has always been coming up with newer and newer features. There is a common saying that you can never learn everything in excel because it comes with another significant update when you get to know everything. 2. Besides basic spreadsheet features, Excel boasts a host of valuable tools. For instance,...

Cons

1. The Help tool almost always uses the internet to explain things. There should be some information that should always be available offline. Even for simple issues, you need internet connectivity. 2. Since you need to learn a lot to use Excel, it would be helpful to have simple-to-understand training material. Just like maths, some students still fear Excel because they lack proper training. 3. The...

The Greatest Spreadsheet App

Pros

This software, although very technical, is so easy to use and work on for an unskilled person like myself. It seems so daunting to figure out how to create the perfect spreadsheet for your data, but the hints and templates that come with the program make it almost simple. Our managers incorporate it into almost every form of documentation we require and its so easy to access the files from our cloud...

Cons

The only thing to dislike is how many shortcuts there are to complete simple tasks but there's no way to easily figure them out unless you spend dedicated time on videos and tutorials to learn them all. But I don't hold that against Excel, its that dedication which separates people like me from the people who are skilled in Excel.

Improved substantially over time, still challenging for collaboration

Overall positive in it's ability to run locally with the most robust features, but in an era where collaboration must happen in real time on the Cloud, it has been frustrating to collaborate. Most fully featured platform though.

Pros

Most robust spreadsheet platform that has the most comprehensive amount of formulas, graphics, pivot tables, and just technical features, runs locally so if you're on the airplane you can still run everything.

Cons

Weak on Cloud and collaboration. You have to log out of the platform for a teammate to make edits. Since team members don't get to work on the project at the same time huge efficiency is lost as some teammates just have to wait until it's their turn whereas Google Sheets you can operate everything at the same time.

The key source for producing spreadsheets and manipulating them mathematically and statistically.

Lots and lots of things that have helped us and continue to help us with MS Excel every day, as all the tables are prepared by it, and then they are exported to other programs, as the ease with which data is entered into MS Excel is not available in other applications. Add to that the amount of arithmetic, statistical and graphic operations that are accomplished through it every day.

Pros

MS Excel is one of the most important tools I deal with on a daily basis and I can never do without it. In fact, I cannot list all the things I love about MS Excel, as the numbers that are entered into the cells on the page, enable you to perform many, many arithmetic operations and create graphs of various kinds. I like the smoothness with which all of this is done, so that data is entered easily,...

Cons

Nothing is mentioned at all, as everything related to numbers, arithmetic operations and their related matters is available in MS Excel, and you cannot find a tool that can compete with it or be able to achieve the same quality of services that you get with MS Excel.

A software in need is a software indeed

I live in and writing this review from Hungary, yet I am sure in other nations as well, MS Excel and Office tools are the leaders, but not the only sw. used to deal with a table file, in Hungary we do not even call them "documents", "table files", simply refer to them as "Excel" that is how big impact this program has made on our life. MS Excel is on the market around for nearly 40 years, one of the most widely-can-be-used sw. on the market and I think is the best. Happy to have it, personally I am utilizing Office kit from my elementary school days and will in the future. Yes, there are some rivals to MS Excel, yet it is still the uncrown king. You may give a try to its rivals, there are free and paid versions too, so as online version are available.

Pros

Tons of educational stuff, examples, tricks, cheat sheets, "homework" like tasks are available. You may get it for free, if you are a student, genuine activation keys for a nominal price can be found in the net, yet can be used with a Microsoft account for free (limitations, less feature are obviously there), with great functionality. MS Excel is widely-known I reckon in the planet and used by...

Cons

You have the possibility to share a workbook and simultaneously edit it with others, if the doc. saved to an on-line store, you can edit it on-line or on your on-premise, these function needs to be developed furthermore, sometimes not that smooth, incompatibly due to these versions, loss of functions, occur. Writing a program to use other docs. data can be not that smooth at first, its programming...

Microsoft Excel, the time tested Jack of all Trades spreadsheet.

MS Excel is the most popular and widely uses spreadsheet processor. I love it for its simple interface and the variety of fictions and features that it offers with extreme ease of use.

Pros

Microsoft Excel is a very flexible software and has thus offers something for every user. Whether you want to build simple overviews or tabulate massive data, carry out a simple calculation or perform complex calculations and basic analytics. Its ability to make a solution richer in terms of features is amazing along with its ever evolving graphics and inclusion of smart algorithms that minimize you work by being more predictive. Its collection of templates is also very useful in providing idea to choose a style for your data presentation. Also its ability to rotate, merge and export tabels and cells and coloring them adds to its ease of use. Apart from these, it easily integrates will all major presentation software.

Cons

Although it is a very good software, but it still has sme room for improvement like including collaboration tools for online group work. Also, it does not work as a database software, which is something, if added will further increase its productivity much more.

Excel is Excellent for Non-Power Users, Too!

I don't need any of the advanced capabilities like Pivot Tables, VLOOKUP, Macros or VBA but I know that I can learn those if and when I need to. Overall, my experience with Excel has been extremely positive. It keeps me on-track, allows me to do some simple but effective number-crunching and even (with an add-on) allows me to design flowcharts within the program. I like that I can share what I'm doing with colleagues and clients. That's a huge advantage and time-saver. All in all, I highly recommend Excel - even for those of us who don't need all the power it potentially provides. It's great for us as well.

Pros

When I first started using Excel I was concerned that it would be too complicated for my needs. I needn't have worried. It turns out that Excel is easy to learn and use, even for non-power users. I often use it as a simple database for keeping track of courses I signed up for and need to complete, books I need to read, my ongoing expenses, budgeting and more. I have also started using Excel more...

Cons

I do sometimes feel overwhelmed by all the options, and sometimes it's difficult for me to find the exact item in the menu that I need to access. However, I do eventually get there, and then that's one more thing that I've mastered in Excel.

Best Product Ever

Excel is my bread and butter. From simple addition-subtraction formulas, I have grown to creating Macros, Pivots in Excel. Excel is an integral part of my life as an accountant. I use it to manage accounts of a very small business firm instead of an ERP. Despite of using this for so many years, there is so much to learn and I keep finding new formulas on Tiktok or Instagram daily.

Pros

Being an accountant, this is the first software in office I learnt to use. I have been using this for more than 13 years now. I love the formulas so much, they make our lives easier and makes using this software so much quicker. Best software for reporting numbers in tabular form and shows accurate details of figures. The entire application can be run on a keyboard if you know the formulas.

Cons

There are too many formulas to remember, not a con exactly but it can be frustrating when you don't remember/find formula for the work you want to do. Difficult to work on excel with another colleague as it is offline and if I save it as sheets the format changes. If the offline file is corrupted, there is no way to recover it.

Data Analysis and Representation

I have been using Excel for more than 15 years. The functions and support Excel provides have been improved throughout the years.

Pros

This is a basic software for data analysis and representation. Excel can handle thousands of data sets at one time and it is the best software for creation of spread sheets for data storage. Excel is taught to children all over the world at a young age. This software is popular in most of the small to medium size businesses and organizations. The software can used to perform basic to midlevel computations...

Cons

When sorting, filtering or analyzing large sets of data Excel may be inefficient. The interface provides limited customizable features. The basic features and functions can be learned quickly, however the learning of advanced functionalities is time consuming. It is hard to use and analyze data using a mobile and Excel is generally known as a desktop software. There is more scope for the improvement of Excel however more improvements will make the software more complex.

The Go-To is still the most capable

I enjoy using and learning more about Excel. There are so many ways in which to use it that no review can truly capture the breadth and depth of its capability. When it is frustrating it is because of an inability of process or lack of me as a user being able to achieve what i know to be possible and thus I approach it as a puzzle to be unpacked.

Pros

Excel is a versatile spreadsheet application that continues to benefit from its age, the weight and momentum behind it, and the continued focus on it as core Office app. The variety of applications of this application are what continue make it a winner.

Cons

Stemming from the same positive attributes of its age and flexibility are the downsides to its age and flexibility - its overlapping years of feature additions and subtractions to the building more on top of pre-existing structures mean that somethings need to be unpacked in order to work how you'd like them too and the robustness of the product can be daunting. Knowing that you'll never know ALL that it is capable of and that the best way to achieve anything is to picture it and then hunker down for an evening of searching and learning.

Honest Microsoft Excel Review 2021

Excel is the most versatile piece of software I have ever worked with. Its is actually an ingénues product as it can adapt to any profession you could ever think about. In my case, I've worked with excel since I was in Uni working on project management talks, then even in my previous role as a Network Engineer, I use Excel to keep track of Network assets as well as IP allocations and range management. Currently as a manager of cyber security I still use excel to analysis computer generated CSV files which I then provide reports on. Overall, I can testify the Excel would help you regardless of the work you are doing, it is so versatile that it would be able to make your work easier and help you be more productive in whatever task you may encounter.

Pros

The biggest pros for me is that in a given day ,you can deal with hundreds or even thousands of data categories and organize them with MS Excel. It helps us compare, sort, calculate, and do a variety of other things in our everyday job routine. As an example, I use the program on a daily basis since my job requires a lot of data sorting and analysis. Also, when using an application like MS Excel, you can do these operations in under an hour, when using typical documentation tools would take weeks or even close to impossible to complete the same job.

Cons

In fact, its most significant benefit is also its most significant drawback. Because as mentioned in the pros, the software can do virtually unlimited tasks which would help you, but this also makes it somewhat challenging for new users with less computer experience, having a software which can do almost anything also make it even harder to grasp and work fluently with.  Overall, to be honest, there isn't anything about the program that I don't like, because I use it every day and have never had any issues with a feature or having a glitch.

Microsoft Excel - A versatile Software

MS Excel is overall a very great tool. I have been using this software for the past six years. It helped throughout my academic period, and I would give main credit to this software as it made my life easier. I would highly recommend this software to the youngster, and I would suggest they watch beginner videos of this software on youtube.

Pros

Excel has entirely different features, and it eventually substitutes some manual procedures like calculating on excel sheets are much simpler and safer than calculating manually. It helps me in managing my data and keeps my records on a day today. There are a lot of facilities through which I can perform multitasking through this software. I can work on two or multiple sheets at the same time. Functions like SUM, AVERAGE, COUNT, MIN, MAX, and many others have played a vital role in saving time and making work more efficient. In short, MS Excel is a versatile software.

Cons

Excel needs a user with proper knowledge about its features and tools. Initially, I could not make the most use of Excel because of a lack of knowledge about the tools and not being familiar with its features, so the process of doing and completing the task was much more complex and sophisticated for me. So at first, it could be a little difficult for the beginners.

Microsoft Excel always excels!!

I have been using Microsoft Excel for the last 10 years, and this software has never ceased to amaze me by the amount of features it has packed into it. I started using it as a student when completing my Civil Engineering degree, then used it even more when I was working as a structural engineer, used it again when doing my masters and using it even now when working as an engineer again - on a daily...

Pros

I have been using the software for over a decade and I have come to just love the following features. 1. Formulas - You can find over 100s of formulas to apply within the software, to give you the necessary output. They have been conveniently sorted into groups like Logical, Text, Lookup, Math & Trigonometry. I have come to use the HLOOKUP, VLOOKUP, MATCH, INDEX, the Logical formulas and the trigonometry...

Cons

There is hardly anything that I would criticize about the software. Since even today I am still understanding the load of features and functions it has to offer. However, if I talk about the thing I like the least is how the formulas are presented. Since I am structural engineer I have to present design calculations, and I use PTC Mathcad and Microsoft Excel interchangeably based on my need. Mathcad...

Un Très Bon Logiciel

J'utilise MS Excel depuis près de 8 ans maintenant. Depuis l'utilisation de base pendant mes études jusqu'à l'utilisation professionnelle lorsque j'étais au travail et c'est littéralement l'une des choses qui a changé ma vie et ma façon de penser. Chaque fois que je voulais faire une tâche qui m'était demandée, tout ce que j'avais à faire était de chercher une fonction ou une équation ou une façon sur Excel pour la rendre plus facile et à partir de cela seulement, j'ai appris à toujours chercher différentes choses à apprendre sur Internet.

Pros

Avec MS Excel, vous êtes en mesure de traiter des centaines de données classées et organisées. - Il permet de comparer, de trier, de calculer et de faire de nombreux usages différents dans notre travail quotidien. - Pour prendre un exemple concret, j'utilise cet outil tous les jours car mon travail nécessite la saisie de nombreuses données et une documentation triée en fonction d'une variété d'entrées. Avec cet outil en main, vous pouvez terminer ces tâches en une heure normalement, mais si vous utilisiez des outils de documentation normaux, cela prendrait probablement des semaines.

Cons

- Les difficultés que vous rencontrerez au début de l'utilisation, parfois MS Excel peut être plus sophistiqué pour les personnes qui n'ont jamais utilisé d'outils informatiques, pour être précis, comment tirer le meilleur parti de l'outil que vous utilisez. - L'interface avec Excel ne requiert pas de compétence, mais une compréhension totale de l'outil pour en tirer le meilleur parti. Si vous ne connaissez pas les caractéristiques de l'outil, un travail peut prendre beaucoup de temps, alors que vous connaissez la fonction qui peut vous aider à le faire plus rapidement.

Showing original review in French. See translation

The Best Spreadsheet Software Out There!

While Microsoft Excel has been getting more expensive over the years, especially in comparison to its free competitors, it remains the most powerful, most prestigious spreadsheet tool out there. Especially for larger, more formal clients, the ability to share cross-device-compatible spreadsheets with a standardized level of quality and compatibility is a huge plus. However, because of the cost, I am looking to move away from the program.

Pros

Microsoft Excel is the absolute golden standard of spreadsheet software. It has every functionality I have ever needed, and then some! Every other software that is for similar usage tries to emulate this one. It is usable on every device, online and offline, and is fantastic for all of my business and personal needs.

Cons

Out of all of the software programs that focus on spreadsheet functions, Microsoft Excel is absolutely the highest priced. Because of that, I have been using it less and less and recommend that my budget-conscious colleagues save money and go with a free alternative that has fewer features but does everything they need. For the most part, Microsoft Excel is a way more powerful tool than I need for everyday use, so it seems to be a waste to pay that much for the possibility of using those special functions rather than for their actual use.

Best Microsoft Tool for Data Management

I am preparing data using the tables for presentations and for easy handling and access. The formulas provided and their functions help us to ensure that our results are upto the point. Mostly I love to use the Pivot table, as they create a relationship between the various sets of data that I am using. The shortcuts provided by Microsoft Excel helps the user to enter the data in easy way. I work with lots of worksheets at daily basis. It allows me to provide data to my team to create different forms of it for monthly and weekly reports for our clients.

Pros

It has wide and amazing features to implement over the work. Most important of all is Conditional formatting and Pivot tables which are mostly used in data management and data sorting. Print Optimisation and Absolute references are also used in managing the cells. Product is quite easy to use as you know the work and implementation of the tools and features and anyone can work over it whether he is a beginner or proficient. I had to work with the spreadsheets for managing the client data and sorting them according to the requirements. So, the best solution for my work was to use excel and it helped us and my organization a lot. The performance of this tool was totally mind-blowing.

Cons

Yes, sometimes I feel that there are some certain features that are missing like there is no protection feature for cell, workbook or sheet protection. No links to other spreadsheets are provided at all, you can rotate the text and no checkboxes are given. Apart from that, there are some features that are difficult even for daily users like Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), most of the users struggles in it. Macros and Automation is also somewhere difficult in some areas. But with my business, it was not difficult at all to maintain all this as we were trained at it and we have to use only some specific features for the data management. Overall experience is great.