Nextcloud Logo

Nextcloud

Collaboration, audio/video calling and file sharing software

Nextcloud Reviews - Page 2

Sofiane L.

Internet, 11-50 employees

Une solution open source complète certe, mais avec de très grosses lacunes

Mon expérience d'utilisation avec Nextcloud est comparable à une montagne russe. Chaque fois qu'ils ajoutent des fonctionnalités, je suis toujours pressé de les tester et de pouvoir les utiliser. Mais ce que je ressens à chaque fois est un étrange mélange entre déception et goût amer d'une fonctionnalité non terminée.La gestion et la collaboration avec ces nombreux bugs et problèmes est quelque de très frustrant. Baser tout l'écosystème de son entreprise dessus n'est certainement pas une bonne idée.

Pros

Dans les avantages, on peut indéniablement citer le fait que Nextcloud soit une solution auto hébergée. Cela nous permet d'avoir un contrôle total sur nos données, en plus de pouvoir nous passer de coûts relativement pour la location d'espaces de stockages.De plus, la modularité du logiciel permet une grande flexibilité quant à son utilisation.

Cons

Nextcloud possède un impressionnant nombre de bug. Je n'ai pas connu une seule version fonctionnant correctement depuis que je l'utilise en 2016. De fois il s'agit de problèmes liés à une mauvaise configuration de mon serveur, mais souvent ce sont des bugs provenant du logiciel même. Par exemple, la version 26 vient de rendre les espaces de stockage externes tout simplement inutilisables. Impossible...

Showing original review in French. See translation

Dnyanoba M.

Pharmaceuticals, 1,001-5,000 employees

Nextcloud for Complete data management and other collaborative tools.

Considering other lots of features and tools Nextcloud is very best application for use and its simplicity

Pros

With the Nextcloud our dta will not be handled by any third-party company as all our data can be encrypted. It comes with many features which are very simple and very useful in routine.

Cons

Sometimes synchronization tooks more time, also data and file preview pur very much load on server. Online editing of fikes is limited in Nextcloud.

Ana A.

Banking, 10,001+ employees

You can create an online store on your server

Removal of inflated mail files due to attachments. Since sharing per folder unit is possible, it can be used as shared storage with business partners per project unit, and information can be shared in real-time. Information is frequently managed individually because users can be organized.

Pros

Although dependent on the rental server, the system is currently stable and is useful for pulling data and making backups. The build and setup require some skill, but if you can complete it, you can get a low cost and a high degree of freedom. When I was worried about large mail files on each PC, I discovered that I could send files by URL.

Cons

As for the abundance of add-ons and insufficient localization, it is a waste of treasure because it is not possible to expand functions without knowing how to use them. It is not as collaborative as OneDrive versus Microsoft Office or Google Drive versus Google Docs. Similar to Microsoft Office, I would like to have a system that enables multiple users to edit the same document simultaneously.

DU

Diggaj U.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Best collaborative software I've used personally and for business

Pros

First and foremost, I like the Transparency. I am relieved to know that my data is owned by MYSELF and my data doesn't travel across the advertisement companies to profit Tech Giants. Secondly, I love the UI elements of the software of how easy it is to get things done inside the applications, how few clicks it is to require to do such and such task, everything right on my face and all the useful...

Cons

While I like most of the things around Nextcloud. I hope it gets better with UI/UX. Sometimes the UI can be very non-friendly, glitches here and there and not very sleek experience. But, overall I'm happy with what I have.

AS

André S.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 1-10 employees

Nextcloud - A Secure and Powerful file and team software

Nextcloud made managing users and shared projects and deadlines very easy with its calendar and its real time collaborative document editing feature, making it a necessity on my daily use.

Pros

The biggest use case for Nextcloud is the file server itself. Admins can create users for the employees or setup registration with plugins and define how much storage and access each user has, how they communicate with others on the network with the Talk app plugin and integrate all of Nextcloud's features together with projects, which are similar to workspaces with a dedicated chat with voice and video calling, a project file space with realtime document editing (similat do Google Docs) and calendar integration all in one place. All of these features are free and can customized for your own personal use case and it is very high quality.

Cons

Setup can be quite difficult for someone with no experience on setting up Virtual Private Servers (VPS's) and with custom domain management, as it requires the Admins to create their own server and configure it with a GUI (in respect to configuring users and projects) and within the terminal for the VPS and domain provider (for a custom domain and SSL encryption, which is required for audio and video calling).

Fabian K.

Media Production, 11-50 employees

Best free Google / Dropbox / Onedrive alternative

It's a reliable Cloud solution, also for files, calendar and contacts. It comes as free software and you can extend it to your liking. There are no forced upgrades or changes. If used internally once Set up Nextcloud can run for decades.

Pros

The Software is easy to set up, transparent and easy to extend with a multitude of features.

Cons

If you want to host Nextcloud yourself you need your own hardware and some sysadmin skills. Or you just spend some time googleing the error messages. There is a lot of support for Nextcloud on the internet.

RG

Richard G.

Computer Software, self-employed

My Client Project Portal

Nextcloud has exceed my expectations. The breadth of apps alone, all well integrated with one another, make it a must-have. But looking under the hood reveals a well-documented set of APIs, all consistently designed and many based on open standards. This is opening up new doors for us, making front-ends that integrate with other services, and using Nextcloud as the backend foundation for user management and more. All this is characteristic of my ever-deeper relationship with Nextcloud: it's great out of the box, nicely tailorable, and deeply modifiable.

Pros

I was initially impressed with how Nextcloud keeps all of my computers synced with far fewer conflict files than anything else I'd used. But the apps - oh the apps! Now I've come to rely on Nextcloud as the hub for managing my client projects. We can share and sync work files easily, but Dash, Calendar, and other tools installed with it makes a a must-have for small development shops like mine. And bonus points that I can tailor the branding with my company logo. Clients love it, I love it, and my colleagues are getting use to hearing me rave about it.

Cons

I hope to be able to find more US-based companies offering VPS hosting with Nextcloud preinstalled. There seem to be plenty in Europe, and if we can get more in the US I have some clients who would appreciate a turnkey, managed service.

Eric M.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

Nextcloud is the BEST cloud

Nextcloud was easy to find and download, easy to install and get running, and super easy to use. I love having all of my groupware (web meetings, contacts, calendars, and email client) all in one place.

Pros

I've been eyeing Nextcloud for a few years now. Until recently, I would have said that Owncloud is more stable and has better features. But that's all changed... big time! I recently installed Nextcloud to re-evaluate it and it's gotten better... a LOT better... even better than Owncloud. For one thing, right out of the box, Nextcloud includes groupware features like an browser-based email client, shared calendars, and shared contacts. But one plugin stands out - the web-meeting / screen-share plugin! And it's nice! Besides having better features, I like the community better. While Owncloud is open source and free, many of the plugins are not and the community has gotten more commercially oriented as a result. The Nextcloud community is more helpful and user based.

Cons

Wishes: * I wish Nextcloud was themeable. As far as I know, none of the groupware products out there are but that would be a very nice feature. * I wish Nexcloud had better documentation for replacing Owncloud while preserving user accounts.

Todd R.

Legal Services, self-employed

Great solution for small business

Nextcloud has helped me consolidate my work into a lot fewer online resources. The Hub has really reduced the need to log into multiple services at the beginning of the work. So wonderful a resource.

Pros

I chose the VPS version of Nextcloud through a hosting partner and found that I have access to almost every service I need except bookkeeping. The hosted service costs me less than $10 a month and has allowed me to replace my subscriptions to GSuite and MS Office 365, saving me hundreds of dollars per year. I love that an online office suite, a to-do function, calendar and e-mail all come as part of the Nextcloud Hub. Not to mention Nextcloud Talk, a great Zoom replacement. It is unbelievably convenient to work through a single interface for almost all of my needs - and all with enhanced security. Don't need to worry anymore about Google or Microsoft having access to my business and client files.

Cons

I think this would be very difficult for someone like me (not a techie) to set up on his own. I thought about trying to run my own server in my office, but way too hard for me. So glad they have partners who help get you set up.

HE

Hagen E.

Museums and Institutions, 51-200 employees

A great piece of software for small businesses and associations

Pros

Nextcloud really becomes a grown-up alternative to Dropbox and a lot of Google Services. From private, single-user use to our deployment in an association with >50 users, the functionality covers most of the usual functionality like file sharing, sharing calendars and contacts and especially collaborating on writing documents with different Office-Plugins. The builtin Talk app might be a well-integrated...

Cons

Nextcloud is often kind of unstable and slow. Follow the issues in nextcloud-snap and you will notice that development velocity seems to have priority over a thorough testing. That's not too bad since previous versions of Nextcloud are supported for a while, but just because they push a X.0.1 version, that doesn't mean that the upgrade will run smooth and the new major version runs stable. This is somewhat disappointing, maybe including all official app developers and kyrofa better in the release and QA process would make a difference. Also, the Talk video feature is mostly unusable for >5 people since it's a n:n connection. The high-performance-backend was open sourced recently and might solve the problem.

PH

Pelle H.

Government Administration, 11-50 employees

Nextcloud ås filé server, and more

What we used Nextcloud for is as a file server, server for sharing files with internal and external users, functions such as Deck, Flow, simultaneous editing of MS Office files with Onlyoffice and MS Office online. I have also recently started Talk with the signal server to be able to use as a chat and video solution.

Pros

Some of the things I like most are the ease of installing and configuring, the ease of managing and sharing files, the wide range of apps, the ability to integrate with other systems, the ability to change the code to suit us and the rapid pace of development.

Cons

I lack the support of virtual files in the sync client. To my knowledge, there is no info on what the bottleneck in the system is. It would have been good if there was a tool that could give an indication of choices in the system that are slow. Now I have tested myself to see which software or hardware has been too slow.

DH

Daniel H.

Photography, self-employed

Best free cloud option that I could find

As a photographer, I use Nextcloud to share photos and entire works with clients, models etc. and in general to share information with people I work with. Also, I use it for sharing private stuff with my family and friends. It works, without much maintenance. From time to time I need to update it, but that's it. I never had any issues with being hacked or with updates breaking functionality.

Pros

Relatively easy to set up, very flexible and versatile, via apps more functionality can be added. File sharing works very reliably, and the automatic file versioning in Nextcloud has saved me various times when I accidentally made a wrong change to a file or deleted it by accident.

Cons

The interface is sometimes not very intuitive and needs more clicks than necessary. Also, if you are not a PHP / web server expert, some optimizations that Nextcloud suggests are cryptic to the user (admin). That's a bit sad, as I think it could be made easier for the admin, if Nextcloud would analyse its server surrounding a bit more deeply and give more concrete hints to the admin. But - I am not...

RA

Roland A.

Religious Institutions, 201-500 employees

Easy to use collaboration tool

We use this as an Intranet solution in our church. The most important functions are booking of locals and for filesharing between groups. We also use PicoCMS for the internal communication of news in the organisation. It works as expected but there has been some resistance to change. We plan to set up social login which should facilitate the use. Setting up and keeping your own server is of course an obstacle. You need some computer and server knowledge to keep this running. We use an external VPS-provider for the production server and another for backup. A local NAS-server for testing. This costs us about 7 EUR/month.

Pros

Easy to add new users Easy to upload and download files Possibility to read and edit documents also in the phone Possibility to add blogg-pages for intranet with the PicoCMS app Calendar app works very well Sync with laptop and desktop using the desktop client

Cons

The e-mail app is rudimentary The coupling between Contacts and E-mail app is incomplete Creating and editing documents and adding photos is possible in the phone but a bit slow The risk for conflicting versions if using desktop client, but this may be soved in version 18 as you can locck the file while editing You sometimes need to specifically check that the files are synced, but this also happens to me with other sync solutions (like Box Sync) The calendar app cannot be "swiped" or "scrolled" to the next week or month in the webb-browser. But this works with other optional calendar apps.

Thank you a lot for this detailed review!

SI

Steven I.

Internet, self-employed

Great file sync and share offering

Nextcloud is awesome because it allows me to backup personal and financial information on my own storage system so that I am in control of the data. It also makes it easy to share that data between computers and users.

Pros

The software is easy to setup and keep up to date. It notifies you when new version are available and makes it easy to quickly install the updates. Creating user accounts is simple and allows different users to store their data on Nextcloud. Sharing between users is quick and painless and makes it easy for information to be made available to the people who need it.

Cons

Updating user clients can be a challenge some times but eventually I have been able to get them to work.

We're happy to read such reviews! Thank you a lot for your feedback!

Sam T.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

The all-in-one platform for business applications

Pros

Its easy to use, stable and dependable, extremely customisable, and works across all mobile and desktop operating systems. Perhaps most importantly, through the built in app store, it serves as a platform for many other key business applications which we need, such as collaborative document editing, calendar and contact sync and share, internal knowledge base (wiki), and more.

Cons

It could be easier to get set up. The video conferencing features so far didn't work reliably on our installation.

VL

Vitalii L.

Financial Services, 11-50 employees

Pure UX (user experience)

As mentioned in the last point above: 3. UI is poorly integrated with the OS. It is usable, but it can be better. Compare scrolling in browser and scrolling in a list there. You will see the difference. 4. android upload/share is not reliable. User experience in the android app leaves much to be desired. For example on fairly modern phone and on wifi connection, the UI hangs on every screen for some...

Pros

That it exists! And it is on the market for a while now. Free, and more importantly self-hosted, alternative to Dropbox. I know it is more than dropbox, but more on that later.

Cons

Initially it was a software to share files between different computers and possibly with other people. Managing files is nextcloud's core competence. And even after years using it, it is sad to see that it doesn't always work reliably! I can tell couple of examples from experiences. 1. constant conflicts. I use a diary software to keep notes and often get conflicts when doing notes. Luckily it is...

JS

Jeff S.

Computer Software, self-employed

A completely free alternative to G Suite and Sharepoint/OneDrive

Providing cheap solution for hosting files to friends and family. Installing for professional customers.

Pros

Once installed, it just works. There are many plugins to expand functionality. More importantly, it is open-source.

Cons

It can be very intimidating to set up for non-technical customers. Also, no email server available.

JS

Joseph S.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

Nextcloud review

Overall it has been good. There have been problems with upgrades but thankfully there have been others who upgraded before me and put tips on how to proceed. There should be one forum that deals with each upgrade by number and all solutions can be found there. If there is a solution, it should be marked as such so we can easily find the solutions we need.

Pros

I like that I have control over my data and can adjust things a bit for my needs.

Cons

Not all the things work right. I have serious problems with the client. I get many error messages about sync, favorites don't work, and it is not very intuitive for the average non-techie.

Rd

Renaud d.

Civic & Social Organization, 1-10 employees

Nextcloud does the job

Nextcloud allows us to collaborate with 150+ team members to build our organization's before we release it to our audience.

Pros

Multiple accounts / instances synchronization works seamlessly on different desktop OSes. Nextcloud manages document versions quite well and can restore documents that were mistakenly / accidentaly deleted on synced desktops.

Cons

It's sometimes hard to know why conflicting versions appear.

SV

Stéphane V.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 1-10 employees

analrchy when mutliple folder sharing

The client is good, but it is difficult to uses the history of synced files. Everything is marked as "updated now", and there is no indication if the files have been sent, updated, received, and especially by which user ... In that matter, tools like sharepoint does it better.

Pros

It works on raspberry pi (20 Watts only) and therefore it is possible to build a local storage inside my organization with unlimited disk storage and only on intranet (speed up the transfer and uses less bandwith and energy).

Cons

The sharing of multiple folders to multiple users is difficult to follow. About 100 filders are quickly shared in the owncloud root folder. One should add a folder synchronization to each of them manually on each client to really share the files (otherwise, it is just an authorization to access the files, that usually never reaches the several clients even if available in the root folder). A solution to really share (and put the files on the final user hard drive) should be perfect. example : start the sharing of a folder and select which user and where (in which folder of the final user hierarchy) it should start to synchronize : no action on the final user client (mayba an approval ?)

Accounting, 1-10 employees

A Solid Cloud Hosted Storage

Pros

It was an easy PHP web app to setup that is fairly extensible. It has a large selection of plugins that let you add basically all functionality you’ll need to parallel something like DropBox Enterprise. I have only used the self-hosted version, so I can only speak to that, but so far, it has been fairly stable, running on an 8core 12GB VM with Ubuntu 18.04 (past 6 months) and Ubuntu 14.04 (for the...

Cons

Can be a bit difficult to set up initially. You’ll need a solid understanding of SysAdmin basics to even get off the ground, since it’ll rely on you having a properly configured web server. You’ll also need to know how to properly secure both the installation, as well as the database Nextcloud runs on. A compromise to either of those points would cause a security issue.

RB

Robert B.

Philanthropy, 1-10 employees

Next Cloud Over Time

Pros

We have been using Nextcloud from version 9 or so. It does what i says plus a lot more with little to no interaction from the administer (me). We host our own instance so we have it set up the way we want, and, "We know where our data is".

Cons

It is a bit tricky to be hosted in a shared host environment not having a great deal of access ie. sudo. We seem to manage though.

BY

Ben Y.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

Excellent Tool!

The sync workflow is seamless, and have nothing but great things to say about it, and the add-on plugins are excellent, and the ability to share files with customers and friends is most useful. It's excellent to be able to put aside tools like Dropbox and gain data freedom.

Pros

I like the ability for NC to seamlessly sync files between systems, allowing easy access to my files anywhere.

Cons

There are a few small features which would be really nice to have, such as automatic selective stub sync to workstations as OneDrive does, allowing you to have a dataset which appears local but only the used files are synced.

NT

Nick T.

Marketing and Advertising, self-employed

NextCloud is a Productivity and Collaboration Powerhouse

NextCloud is an incredible piece of software and community of people. It allows you to replace replace big tech monsters like Dropbox, Google docs, Hangouts, and more by hosting NextCloud yourself. You are in complete control of your data.

Pros

Self-hosted, easy to install and manage, reliable functionality, quality mobile apps.

Cons

Not much! I wish more of the apps/plugins were usable in the mobile app. Sometimes I run across occasional sync conflicts with the desktop apps, which can be resolved, but it could be a smoother and more intuitive process to fix.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

For those concerned with digital autonomy is a must

Pros

Apparently, Nextcloud does not offer any new or suprising feature: files synchronization and sharing with teams, calendar, contacts, tasks, videoconferences, collaborative document edition... However, not only does each and every of those aforementioned features (and more) within an integrated app and login, but it does so putting users' data and privacy on top. After all, Nextcloud is not a regular...

Cons

It may seem as a simple clone of Google Services at first sight, even though their approach is totally different. While the software is free, the setup (server, management...) is not free. Some people may think of Nextcloud as a cheap replacement for Dropbox or Drive who may be disappointed if they want to do the move just for money, as it may not be as cheap as those services if they do not consider other reasons such as privacy concerns.