Nextcloud Logo

Nextcloud

Collaboration, audio/video calling and file sharing software

Nextcloud Reviews - Page 3

Computer Software, 501-1,000 employees

A great solution for folks that want more control over their data.

Centralization of my files and documents, ease of management and use, and desktop/mobile clients for every platform that I use (Windows, Mac, iOS). Additionally, it's completely free and does all the things that I need it to do.

Pros

I've been using Nextcloud as a replacement for Google Drive and Google Docs for the last four or five years. It has a ton of really great apps that I can install that can replicate popular Google services. For instance, I can use the Nextcloud desktop and mobile sync clients to have Google Drive like functionality. I can install a calendar app that gives me Google Calender functionality. There are...

Cons

The biggest con for me with this application is it never upgrades properly. I use a third party hosting provider called Dreamhost, and whenever I attempt to do an automatic or manual upgrade to my Nextcloud instance, I end up breaking it and have to rebuild it from scratch. I don't know if this is due to something on my hosting provider's end, but every single time I've attempted to do an upgrade it has failed. Additionally, community support can sometimes be lacking. Since this is an open source product, you have to rely on a lot of forum posts and blog entries to find solutions to your problems. Sometiems that can be frustrating.

Dear user, Thank you for the review on Capterra! We're very glad you are happy with Nextcloud! Nextcloud upgrades should absolutely not give any issues - there must be a problem at Dreamhost if they do. In addition, we offer our customers stand-by support when doing upgrades to make sure even large installations upgrade smoothly. Our experienced team is extremely adept at identifying and fixing them quickly! If you want to get the most out of Nextcloud, consider a Nextcloud Subscriptions to benefit from our expertise and additional functionality like Outlook integration. The community forums are - well that, community forums, only really suitable for home users.

MV

Mark V.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

The best out there

I use Nextcloud for syncing files. To have full control over who and where they are stored is crucial for me and my clients. I also use Nextcloud for its calendar and syncing

Pros

Open source Free Scalable Secure Versatile Expansible with apps

Cons

It is hard to convince people that they can have control over their digital files. Not really a con of Nextcloud, but more a problem with peoples attitude over software and big companies

NC

Niket C.

Consumer Goods, 11-50 employees

Taking back Control of our Data.

We were looking to get control over how we shared, stored and backed up our data. We are a small enterprise which needs every penny to make a bang, Nextcloud gives you more than that bang. Super efficient user interface and easy installation make it a perfect replacement for other commercial competitors. Extremely satisfied with Nextcloud.

Pros

Absolutely everything about Nextcloud is extremely well thought of and can cater to needs of small as well as large companies which need complete control over their data for all the various reasons concerning data privacy and data storage. Nextcloud gives you unparalleled control over everything that you need to do with your data. Nextcloud is a dream come true.

Cons

Nothing. What can be bad when you are in complete control over your own data.

RE

Randy E.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

A great option for customizable cloud storage and collaboration

I've been using NextCloud since it's initial release (I started with OwnCloud before it forked). I love that it is open source and I can set it up on my own server, which is exactly what I've done for both personal use and a non-profit I support. I've been using it in both of those roles for a couple of years now and have been very satisfied. I've even used hosted versions for personal use as well.

Pros

It gives me more flexibility than other cloud storage options in terms of defining different users and user access to different content. Also, the federated storage model is fantastic - I can use much more cost-effective, S3 compliant storage solutions than standard web server storage pricing.

Cons

A few of the user interface design choices are non-standard, such that new users don't always intuit how to use it; but there are only a few such issues.

Computer Software, self-employed

Own your own cloud server

You phone is important and the data on it is even more important. With some products, it uploads a small amount of information but misses text messages, caller loags, and other critical files. With an 8tb hard drive, expenses from other commercial cloud art era go down keeping your information safe and secure.

Pros

Fast and secured file transfers from phones and cloud server using VPN and SSL options.

Cons

Sometimes you work on app but when an update happens, it isn't available (probably for good reasons).

Thank you so much for your kind review! We are happy you enjoy and get lots of use out of Nextcloud. Thanks again for taking the time.

MS

Maximilian S.

Computer Networking, 1-10 employees

A platform for almost every data

Nextcloud today is getting to be our centralized information storage, management and sharing plattform. The possibilities of collaboration are making many business processes easier and more efficient.

Pros

Nextcloud gives you a feature rich platform for data storage, organisation and sharing but also many integrations like an Elasticsearch or LDAP connector and many more. These integrations work flawlessly and the built-in apps like the E-Mail Client, an hosted Calender and even a Password Manager are now replacing many commercial apps we used before.

Cons

The installation of Nextcloud is at some points a little tricky and nothing for completely unexperienced users, but with basic knowledge in Linux and the LAMP Stack this should be no big deal. Some Apps like the "Passwords" app are missing some major Features like sharing a Folder of Passwords, but hopefully this will change soon.

CM

Christian M.

Professional Training & Coaching, self-employed

Die perfekte Cloud zum Selberhosten

Ich nutze Nextcloud für meine private und berufliche Dokumentenfreigabe. Ich kann sowohl persönliche Dokumente (auf eigenem Server) hochladen als auch Materialien für meinen Chor oder meine Kunden zur Verfügung stellen. Durch ein geschicktes Rechtemanagement (Nutzer, Gruppen, Linkfreigabe) geht das alles problemlos zusammen mit einer Cloud.

Pros

Schnell eingerichtetes Cloud-Hosting. Selbstgehostet, daher keine Datenschutzbedenken.Leichte Konfigurierbarkeit und einfache Updates.Bei Bedarf sind alle Wartungsfunktionen über die Server-Kommandozeile verfügbar.Der Nextcloud-Client zur Synchronisierung (Windows, Android) ist einfach, schnell und zuverlässig

Cons

Hin und wieder kommt es zu Fehlermeldungen beim Dateiupload.Synchronisierung einer verschlüsselten Passwort-Datenbank mit Android-Smartphone klappt manchmal nicht zuverlässig.Die Einrichtung von Nextcloud mit All-Inkl-Hosting war etwas tricky (mit entsprechender Anleitung aber gut machbar)

Showing original review in German. See translation

JM

Joe M.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Fantastic Product.

Fantastic. I use it for communication, sharing, news, calendar, contacts, pretty much everything. I use this software every chance I get.

Pros

Mostly it's extensibility. I find the ability to extend and personalize Nextcloud for your purposes the most valuable thing about it. I use it as a central hub to work with many other features within the organization.

Cons

The cost of the paid versions of collabora office and nextcloud talk. I wish there was a tier for non-business users who what to simply set up a private service for their friends. The current price model puts these features out of reach for very small organizations or even for personal use. I also wish password reset emails, or other email from the server could be encrypted via pgp keys. There's a plug in to allow this I think but it's held up by a pending merge request.

JA

James A.

Computer & Network Security, 1-10 employees

Excellent cloud sync software

Pros

The product enables users to sync data to a cloud instance which is fully under their control. The feature set is extensive and clients exist for all major desktop and mobile platforms. It is reliable and high performing.

Cons

Support for fringe protocols such as ActiveSync is not as well implemented as I would have liked.

GS

Guenael S.

Education Management, 5,001-10,000 employees

Usefull for everyday use !

University employees and academic researchers benefit a 50+GB Nextcloud Personnal & Private Cloud, allowing them to abandon public Clouds !

Pros

NextCloud made it simple to synchronize all my datas between my computers & smartphones. So far, more than 1.000 Grenoble Alpes University employees use NextCloud daily ! Easy to use, easy to adopt.

Cons

Building a solid HA Nextcloud infrastructure for 5.000 users is a challenging goal for out teams. It was pretty long to qualify/test/setup/deploy every brick of the cluster. But It really was worth the effort.

GT

Gerard T.

Internet, 1-10 employees

The best private cloud I know

In Digipime we use Nexcloud as the basis for sharing documents with our customers. In addition, our services for customers based on Nexcloud have great success in our market for small and medium businesses.

Pros

Simple, fast, very configurable and with the best plugins for connection with third applications.

Cons

There are no cons. The product is good enough not to have any issues to consider.

Thank you so much for this great feedback! :)

AF

Andrew F.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Nextcloud makes owning your own data easy.

Besides using Nextcloud for my own cloud implementation (via VPS), I have successfully deployed it with clients who needed a dropbox-like system for the data paranoid, or for others due to regulations which require all company data to reside in a known location. Nextcloud has always gotten the job done without a sweat.

Pros

Available features. Keeping all company data inside the network. Securely share files/folders with others outside of the organization.

Cons

Update process between releases (depending on deployment type) ldap integration can be a little tricky (again, depending on deployment type)

RC

Ryan C.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

Nextcloud "it's just there"

I use this everyday. I am supporting the local business with this solution. It solves there security and ease of use. They like it better than the big competitors.

Pros

It the internet goes down. It auto recovers. Even if you don't think it is working. It is always there. Sharing the folder out and it works everytime.

Cons

Gallery is my least favorite. It needs to load faster. The thumbnails are there. I don't understand how it takes a minute to load. I wish there was an easier way to multi host instead of started a new vm for each business. I would like to see where I can tell the software the new business and it takes right off. You have full control. It loads all the config from a different directory. Also i wish scaling was easier. I am finding scaling is not that easy with out subscription.

Thank you a lot for the review! :)

NH

Nathan H.

Writing and Editing, self-employed

An excellent file and information manager!

I have been able to work on writing and editing without regard to where I am, and access my files on the road after a hard drive failure with basically no lost time. My clients love getting secure links to their work without worrying about intellectual properties issues with other cloud providers. Overall, Nextcloud has provided a sense of security and has prevented me from losing work as I travel from home to office to business trip.

Pros

The best thing about this software is that file synchronization works flawlessly. My documents and other work are available to me on all of my computers and from the Web anywhere in the world. I can share files or whole folders with friends and clients, and the apps let me edit online, organize my tasks, read my email on the go, and much, much more.

Cons

The documentation for manual installation is a little sparse, although it's only really necessary to refer to one other project to complete installation. Once everything's up and running, it's stable and easy to upgrade.

TS

Tim S.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 employees

Best known solution for network of NGOs, great emphasis on privacy and open standards

We started with a test period, yet the staff and working groups adopted Nextcloud for their main workflow much sooner than anticipated. Nextcloud's emancipatory approach to document ownership and the sharing logic vs. traditional ACL required some training and new concepts within our teams.

Pros

Nextcloud comes with a great flexibility: already with a tiny budget you can get started and meet many of your organization's needs. There are no hidden costs. New features can be added by extensions ("apps") almost on-the-go. Scaling to bigger set-ups is not too difficult. The developers and community are extremely friendly and helpful.

Cons

When we started two years ago, features were often not well documented and the upgrade process sometimes caused problems. But the situation has improved dramatically since then. The approach to end-to-end encryption and its key management is sometimes confusing.

Adam D.

Computer Software, 10,001+ employees

Take back control of your data

I was skeptical of how well a self hosted cloud platform would work as well as how many features it would actually offer over simple file storage with a web interface, but I was genuinely impressed and excited about the possibilities it opened up and the features it offered.

Pros

Nextcloud offers, in my estimation, about 90% of what Google or other services offer. Cloud storage, document editing, note keeping, password and bookmark backups, collaboration via chat or video, and a ton more via the rich plugin market. The best thing is that it can be hosted on prem, so no worries about how your data is being used. It is definitely a best in class piece of software

Cons

I haven't found any functionality that is missing, however it was somewhat difficult/cumbersome to setup syncing to mobile devices for notes, calendars, contacts, etc... The mobile app for Android isn't the best and often 3rd party solutions were needed.

Rob S.

Information Services, self-employed

Perfect Google Drive Alternative for the Tech Savy, but a ways to go for the general populace

Nextcloud is great for people who are tech-savvy and want to reduce privacy concerns brought forth by having all of your data saved to the cloud. Nextcloud should look into selling small mediacenter-style computers that have Nextcloud pre-installed on them, in cooperation with a hosting service, so that a layman could just plug it in, answer a few questions, and be up and running in minutes.

Pros

Nextcloud is a fantastic software that gives so many features for free to users to host their own data. The interface is very simple and attractive, and the mobile app and client-side software make it a great replacement for Google Drive

Cons

Inherent with the versatility of the software, Nextcloud is limited to who can use it. It's very complicated to set up your own server for a non-tech user, and I feel this will be a barrier preventing it from growing.

MH

Michael H.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

Can and has easily replaced Google Drive and Office365

Pros

Out of the box it includes the most commonly used services and many more can be added. Most importantly it respects your privacy so your data is secured.

Cons

Could be better if there was a 1 click install and setup for the online office software.

ND

Nicolas D.

For all your needs

Pros

easy to use scalable suitable for all needs : individual (backup your data (even calendars, contacts, mobile photos, ...)), home, non-profit and companies !!! new version with new features every 6 months more and more apps available

Cons

some nextcloud apps doesn't work after a new major release !!

HS

Hussain Sykez F.

Computer & Network Security, 11-50 employees

Best solution for any company which needs a cloud storage access on-premesis or self-hosted

Pros

Self-host solution - Since some files are sensitive, an on-premises was the only option our company was comfortable with. Free/Open Source and continuous updates - We moved from Samba and Dropbox to Nextcloud without spending much (since it's open source), making the it easier for management to be convinced. Also there's continuous updates with new features and security fixes, and community resources as well (forums and apps). Desktop & Mobile clients - Made it really convenient to access and sync files across devices and users, even remotely.

Cons

- We had some issues while updating nc a few times before, and breaking the installation. Managed to fix it though, but our team is still not really confident with updates. - Granular access controls. We have groups and group folders (owned by the main admin, shared to groups), and we use tags for restricting folders to certain groups or users. These restrictions can only be done by an admin, making it difficult for other users to restrict files to certain group of users (within the group/department folders). There's obviously room for improvement for access controls.

Thank you for your feedback! :)

JN

Joseph N.

Graphic Design, 1-10 employees

Forget Dropbox i have Nextcloud!

I can have all my company's data in a secure place and share files with customers with editing options. I use this for my business everyday!

Pros

I was looking for a solution in my company for media storage, assign share links to my client's and employees, to be able to have control over their accounts, make announcements, edit folder permissions, commenting on shared files/links, and all of that is possible for me in Nextcloud! I am blowned away the many feature si am able to use on my everyday basis in my company. Something i really like is the drop file feature, i can make a folder and share that link for upload only, without viewing content etc. It is a huge help to drop suggestions etc. I use Nextcloud with Mountain Duck on my companies computer, this way everyone can access their Nextcloud server like if it was a external hardrive. Also i can get all addons directly from their library,

Cons

I would love to have more control over the styles on every elements, even thou it is possible to create my own theme, it would need lot's of coding. Some buttons are not in the best position, i have to rely on custom css to change some buttons.

Dear Josef, Thank you for the review on Capterra! We're very glad you are happy with Nextcloud! If you want to get the most out of Nextcloud, don't forget we have Nextcloud Subscriptions available. That improves much on the community help aimed at home users like you'll find on the forums and gives access to additional documentation and capabilities like our Outlook integration, Global Scale and more. Take care!

Khelaf M.

My experience with Nextcloud

Pros

The most impactful Nextcloud's features are : choise between Self hosted and on premises installation. Client side encryption Video Verification File Access Control File storage (local/NFS) Global scalability Integrated Groupware (Calendar/Contacts/Mail/Kanban) Integrated Audio/Video/Text chat Inter-server sharing Workspaces Nextcloud is very natural easy to yse We have easly integrate Nexcloud with our messaging and collabotaion system (KOPANO) We also easly integrate it with our LMS solution , which is MOODLE, for sharing documents.

Cons

I think it would be good to have a workflow in Nextcloud. for example, to create document validation processes in a collaborative way. And many other cases. I would like to see the possibility of integrating it with our current CRM/ERP system , which is ERPNEXT.

BA

Benjamin A.

It do what it should

+ Sharing files with customers + One central place for your all your office + Full control of your data!

Pros

It's really easy to use the software and it has more or less every feature you need in the office (calendar, contacts, storage, notes, file sharing, etc.).

Cons

Some major updates just has reset settings. But normally they work good.

NN

Nicolas N.

Farming, 1,001-5,000 employees

Einfaches Filesharing - leicht gemacht

Kompaktes Tool mit vielen Möglichkeiten.

Pros

Einfache Bedienung, gerade für die Mitarbeiter ist es eine Erleichterung und man hat wenig Administrationsaufwand. Es ist sozusagen ein Kinderspiel das Produkt zu nutzen. Von kostenlos bis einem humanen Lizenzmodell bei Erweiterung ist alles dabei. Der Client synchronisiert in Echtzeit und kann auf nah zu allen Plattformen genutzt werden.

Cons

Vereinzelt kommt es mal zu bugs in der Windows-App vor, die werden aber auch schnell in einer neuen Version behoben.

Showing original review in German. See translation

PG

Paul G.

Photography, 1-10 employees

The best replacement for Google Drive, iCloud or OneDrive

Very good, would recommend all the time.

Pros

The software is very great to deploy and maintain; Every user likes using the software. The build-in addons are a huge win. From my perspecitve one of the best choices you can do as a system adminsitrator if you want to deploy a software like nextcloud.

Cons

Sometimes, there are really strange speed problems nextcloud, on which the logfiles don't include a lot of information about possible reasons.