Numbers Logo

Numbers

Spreadsheet application for data visualization

Numbers Reviews

User ratings

4.4

2.2K
  • Likelihood to recommend7.87/10

See full reviews by rating

Easy to navigate and preforms awesome for what I need it for. A nice look to showing my data.
Very fast product- I would say for the most part it is easy to use- Stable product and options for exporting are solid- I would call this a powerful program and being that it is free very affordable.
The templates that have this app are great and help me to do some dynamic spreadsheets I can share with my team in some meetings.
This isn't always a straight-forward process and often, there is some data loss or some cleaning up to do after the import.
The only con I can think of is that if you are used to Microsoft, Numbers will be very confusing at first.
Numbers does not have too many editing options once you upload your document. It is a little weird to navigate the folders in the app too.

Numbers users...

Google Docs-logocaret

Google Docs

Microsoft PowerPoint-logocaret

Microsoft PowerPoint

How would you rate Numbers?

2,294 reviews

Marc S.

Owner

Photography, self-employed

Numbers is a winner for me

Transcript

Marc S.: My name is Marc, and I'm a business owner. I give Numbers a five out of five rating. For more...

Numbers for Apple - Workable, but Inferior to Excel

Transcript

Steve: I'm Steve, I'm a youth pastor at a church, and I would give Numbers a four out of five. As a youth...

I don't feel overwhelmed by all the different options in the menu.

It has been very effective in my day to day activities such as; tracking of my budget, working and it's a faster and simple way of creating spreadsheets.

Pros

It has many pre-packaged templates that are easily adjustable, and I can easily access on any device using iCloud. It also integrates easily with other Apples devices for example, If I want to move from Mac to IPhone it is very swift and secure as long as my documents are saved to iCloud.

Cons

It is limited to only Apple users and has limited options compared to other programs.

professional app for optimal results

I have managed to reduce the time of processing information and achieve good communication by representing data in the form of a graph to synthesize complex information to understand

Pros

I like the versatility of uses that can be given to it, it is a very useful tool for processing complex data

Cons

it could be easier to make it compatible with tables in excel, usually when moving to excel some custom processes will be unconfigured

Good starting software for visualisation

Pros

This was a free tool to help format data, did a really good job at helping to visualise it!

Cons

it seemed like a simpler version of Excel, a little more restrictive when formatting data

Great for professional use

Numbers is a great app for personal, day-to-day use. I have my budget, my little notes, some expenses all organised in Numbers. It feels somewhat difficult though to use it professionally given the fact that everyone expects you to send excel files.

Pros

Despite its nature, this app is pretty simple, offers great customisation of sheets. It sort of lets you focus on a specific area of a sheet instead of sort of thinking of the entire sheet. most useful options are conveniently located to your right.

Cons

Options which show to your right are somewhat limited. You will find that you have to dig a little deeper in the menu options to find the feature you are looking for.

Does what I need it to do!

I use it everyday and have a comprehensive spreadsheet I use for calculating quotes for my customers.

Pros

It’s very easy to use and while I may not use the software to its maximum benefit, the spreadsheets I use for my business have been easy to create and personalise to my own needs.

Cons

When importing an excel spreadsheet or exporting to excel, the formulas are lost and only the calculated figure is kept in any given box.

Numbers App

Pros

This app is handy it's an alternative to Excel. In our organization, we use Excel files and I often use it to open those files on my iPad using numbers while traveling this is the most used App as I prefer using the iPad because the Macbook Pro is difficult to carry. The experience is super because it's not just spreadsheets or calculations there are many other functions. As an Apple user, I love it!

Cons

Sometimes, I have to convert files so others can open them.

Pretty visuals are worth the switch

Pros

Nice graphs and visuals are the biggest pro for me Seconded by the useful templates

Cons

Something seems a bit off with regards to sheets, it seems there are no separate sheets but just a big canvas

Best spreadsheet application

Its clean looks and ease of use have always been a strong selling point

Pros

can be used on apple phone as well, more room for creativity, integration with other apple devices

Cons

lacks few input formats, little difficult to get adapted at the beginning

Easy to Use Though a Bit Lacking

I have used Excel in corporate finance for years as a power user. I still think Numbers is great despite having less power (features).

Pros

I love the interface for this program (much like Apples other major programs). Clean and easy to use.

Cons

Just needs to be a bit more powerful and dynamic still to rise to its major competitor (Excel of course).

Good Tool!

Pros

I think that Numbers is very intuitive.

Cons

For the moment I have not found anything that I do not like.

Must have for user of any platform!

My overall experience with Apple Numbers is awesome. I will suggest this product to everyone. Like I have a iPad being used by whole family. Still I can control the sheet level privacy from this application. This locking feature was not seen by me anywhere. It helped me keeping data of company safe from personal stuff. That is why I mentioned, it is a must have app in you device.

Pros

What I literally love about this software is it's capability to onboard new users without a need of any walk-through, it is as simple as using a excel sheet. But compared to excel sheets, numbers got more reliable powers within. I used Numbers first time when I wanted to make entries of students, registering with demographic details and other noisy data. I love the way it automatically picked up the...

Cons

No such cons were discovered by me so far, I have completely loved this product from starting. It is a must have for any iPad user specially, it becomes so handy to handle the edits. But I still see that it lacks in some basic exporting features. Export and Share with live edit logs are heart of any version management sheets. But overall no dislikes about the quality.

Time-Proven System!

Numbers has allowed us to dive deeper and gain more clarity of our organizations' financial inflows and outflows on a daily, weekly, monthly and annual basis. Using numbers we've reduced our annual overheard by about 30% total over the last 2 years and increased our overall gross inflow operational efficiency by about 50% in that same time period. We are now working less, while growing our bottom line and impact in our community more than ever before... and we have Numbers to thank for this!

Pros

Numbers is by far one of, if not THE most, intuitive cell based analytical mathematical systems to use for personal or financial record keeping, analysis, etc. It's continued to improve year after year and the ability to insert graphs, charts, and integrate other cells and pages within the same program is uncanny!

Cons

There's now very little I don't like. previous versions of Numbers has issues linking and aligning other spreadsheets and specific cells into different sheets in different categories I had created within the program I had created for our organization. This is no longer the case, and it's actually a strength of the software now!

My experience with apple numbers after I switched to macBook from Linux/Windows

On the off chance that you're experiencing issues in picking either Numbers and Excel, pose yourself these inquiries: Is it for individual use or business? A:I am using it as on individual level Do you want progressed capacities? A:I am okay with that as of now Are diagrams and illustrations critical to your goal? A: Sometimes, However I can do a workaround for that right now Is your unit running on Windows or Mac? A:I use Mac and i like default bundled applications and in no mood to use any other apps

Pros

You can think about Numbers Excel's more energetic kin. Notwithstanding the way that they're associated, they really have various differentiations. Beautiful representations: Numbers is the best 'Rule' for people with imaginative hearts. Next to the ideal place of cooperation, their graphical depictions are just amazing. It takes after they zeroed in on the manner by which your data would look when they're diagrammed or outlined. Sensible for individual use: Numbers is exceptional for individual and non-business use.

Cons

Tab-less bookkeeping page: If you're from Excel and you're reviewing Numbers, you'll see Numbers a piece limiting. Not for any reason like Excel, Numbers doesn't get the opportunity of different sheets. What Numbers has rather is one immense material as their bookkeeping page. On the material, you can add data in tables and these tables may be showed up distinctively comparable to worksheets in Excel. Barely...

Un aalternativa a las hojas de cálculo

Lo uso principalmente a para abrir archivos seprados por coma .csv abre los archivos de forma perfecta o que permite exportarlos a programas más avanzados sin perder el formato.

Pros

La facilidad de uso y la integración al ambiente mac, además el costo que es gratuito si eres propietario de una mac. Me gusta el algoritmo que permite la lectura de mejor manera que otros competidores, Me agrada mucho la fiabilidad que tiene al exportar la información a otros programas.

Cons

Al ser un programa de uso básico, muchas de las funcionalidades que otro software de la competencia. A veces resulta no ser muy intuitivo y funcionalidades que en programas similares debería tener no las tiene.

Showing original review in Spanish. See translation

pivot table feature refines numbers

proud to present or print files from Numbers. The result is beautiful.

Pros

First impression: beautiful. amazing color scheme. pivot table feature refines numbers. Unique Data Format treatment: pop-up, slider, star, etc. At the beginning of creating a new file, we are immediately presented with a table like Automated-Table in Excel, not blank cells like most spreadsheet applications. You can directly apply filters, sorts, categories, etc. mainly the canvas concept makes Numbers even more interesting. tip: did you know if you create a table in Pages & Keynote, and type '=' then the table is treated as Numbers? All functions and formulas can be used. Even cross reference between tables can be done

Cons

even though it has web features, pivot is only viewable, not for editing. If available, it will replace google sheet. free, no subscription fees.

A totally different way of thinking about spreadsheets

Overall, numbers is very good, when used for what it is strong at, which is getting numerical table data onto a page. While it can be used to manage huge tables of data and run complex formulae it is clearly not as powerful as Excel.

Pros

Numbers works in the page layout view by default, and is totally geared towards using it for creating documents, rather than analysing huge tables of data. It is great for producing reports, invoices, quotations etc., which are all things that people use excel for, but for which it is not ideally suited. Numbers produces very good looking spreadsheets and charts.

Cons

Compared to excel, numbers is very slim on power user features. Don’t expect features such as macros or connections to external data sources e.g. SQL servers. All formulae work as you would expect and I’ve not found any missing yet that I would use in excel, including some relatively obscure ones.

A great offering from Apple but only for basic number crunching/input

Numbers was really good for basic work that was not data intensive. It's template library and abilities for graphical output are great. However, you need to use Excel for really serious number crunching.

Pros

Like everything Apple, the UI looks and feels smooth and easy to use. It is built, it feels and seems, with the beginner to basic, light user in mind; it does this very well. The range of templates helps massively for selection of the best sheet for your task or data. As with all things Apple, the output/end design are tailored to look a million dollars in ways to present the data. I like it that...

Cons

I use iMac as my main desktop, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air for when on the go. It all works seamlessly but I'm pretty sure there isn't reverse compatibility with Windows, unlike Excel. There is a severe lack of functions and features such as an ability to analyse data in a pivot style or have more of a broader range of formulae.

Reliable software at it's finest!

Keeping up with payroll and inventory is so simple. If you think it in your mind, you can do it in Numbers. That's how [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] always wanted things to be. It helps keep the day-to-day of managing your assets a simple task. One less headache to deal with in an already complicated business setting.

Pros

The ease of use with Numbers is unparalleled, in my opinion. It comes with the reliability that you expect with the trusted name, Apple. I use it on all my Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, iMac) and do not like using other products. Since it's able to save in either Numbers, .xlsx, and .pdf formats it makes it so simple to send and share with other users. I mostly use it for inventory and payroll information, but the actual templates you can choose from are endless! It also automatically saves your work for you, so you never have to sweat potentially losing your valuable spreadsheet information. You can also add password protection on sensitive information spreadsheets. Definitely can't beat all that!

Cons

On the mobile apps I wish it was a lot more encompassing like the desktop version. You lose some of the features, templates, and functionality that the desktop version showcases.

I Love Numbers!

Two years ago I opened a new Non-Profit School. Unlike all all of the other schools I had run, my board left the budgeting and financial tracking entirely in my hands. Up until now I had always been handed an excel document with dozens of sheets detailing the budget that I was supposed to run. Faced with having to create my own I sat down to my Mac knowing what it should look like, but not how to...

Pros

Numbers is easy to use even for non accountants. I haven't been trained in spread sheet functions etc, but Number's functions seem to anticipate anything I might want to do and to make it work in a way that I can figure it out intuitively.

Cons

Oddly enough I would like to see more color options in the "fill section". I have figured out that I can design in graph form for projects using Numbers very nicely, except that unlike all of my other graphic and polishing software, Numbers' colors are not able to "match".

Great for Independents; Teams...Maybe?

We use Numbers for budgeting, tracking clients & employee data, and preparing our quarterly and yearly financials. We often have to prepare written or pdf reports containing spreadsheet data, so the ability to layout gorgeous spreadsheets is just as important as powerfully manipulating data. With Numbers, we get both of these in a single app that's also uniquely native to Mac computers. Because our entire team works on Macs, it's important that our solution be compatible, and Numbers provides that. However, we are still waiting for a complete solution for teams from Apple's iCloud offering.

Pros

Numbers is, by far, the most easy-to-use spreadsheet software I've encountered since my first personal computer. In addition, the GUI is gorgeous, minimal, and non-distracting. Like other software options, there's an auto-complete feature, but Numbers' color-coded bubble scheme makes it clear what cells I'm using in my functions. Finally, when it comes time to design something print-worthy for a presentation or report, Numbers handles title text, graphics/images, and formatting like it was a full-featured word-processor.

Cons

My gripes with Numbers are generally related to sharing, especially for teams. iCloud is much more of a personal product than a team product, so sharing and editing spreadsheets is somewhat difficult. Recently, Apple has addressed this with iCloud based sharing, but there's no team iCloud, so each team member needs either: a. a separate iCloud for their business (which is technically against the TOS) or b. use their own personal one. Neither option works for us because we don't want our employees violating TOS agreements just to work with us. I understand this may be an iCloud gripe rather than Numbers directly, but because Numbers is so tightly integrated with iCloud, it's a must-have.

Spreadsheets for the rest of us

Numbers takes what every other spreadsheet app has been doing for over 30 years, and simplifies it to the most important features that are all that 90% of users will need. Instead of multiple ribbons, and nested menus, you have a much simpler, easier to understand and learn user interface. Yes, some functionality is missing, but for the most part, there are workarounds, or they are features you won't...

Pros

Numbers takes the most important basic features for creating and managing spreadsheets, deletes all of the really high-end, deep accounting stuff, and makes a spreadsheet app that will make 90% of users happy. It just works, and features all of the simplicity you expect from an Apple product, while still allowing some powerful features.

Cons

If Apple would just add the "Repeat" feature, Numbers would be perfect. In Excel, one feature I often use is the ability to repeat a command: I modify one cell a certain way, then select a bunch of other cells and select "Repeat" from the Edit menu. Numbers cannot do this. Numbers also does not support a lot of the high-end features that serious number-crunchers expect: Macros, pivot tables, many of the more powerful statistical and mathematical formulas, etc. Those are features that I rarely, if ever need, so I'm OK with it. I still have and use Excel, so when I need those features, or someone sends me an Excel spreadsheet that uses them, I can still access those files.

Great excel substitute

Overall my experience with Numbers has been great. It serves my needs and I like that it's integrated into the Mac. I use it daily and it's great that it synchs across devices. It saves me from having to interact with Microsoft too much.

Pros

I don't do anything crazy with spreadsheets, I find numbers to do what I need it to. I track clients and prospects, how many hours I'm working, etc. I also use Numbers as a checklist. I really like the templates that it offers. I've used the event planning one and the food journal templates. It's a really nice design (thanks Apple) and it's really nice that it comes with my computer rather than having to buy a separate software package.

Cons

I've had some trouble opening it on my phone, but I think that's just a general software update issue. I'm hoping in the next release, it will be fixed. I haven't tried using pivot tables or anything like that (hopefully I'll never have to!). I think it's good for everyday use rather than trying to recreate ridiculous models using excel. It would be good if it was offered to non-Mac users so I wouldn't have to buy MS Excel to send docs to my clients, but this isn't a huge deal since they can open Numbers in Excel.

A solid spreadsheet tool with missing features

It was a solid and reliable piece of software, and you can't beat the low price of Free. Using it involved some gymnastics from time to time, dealing with the fact that Excel is still the dominant software in this space. I would recommend this, if you are simply looking to do some spreadsheets for yourself at home, and don't anticipate to need any crazy or specific features, and also don't plan on collaborating with a team of people who primarily use Excel.

Pros

This was my introduction to spreadsheets, instead of Excel, as it was built into the Mac ecosystem. As a first-time spreadsheet user, many many years ago, it was easy to use, intuitive and made sense. As opposed to Excel, which has a "canvas" that is 100% spreadsheet (the canvas is all cells and your data can go anywhere), Numbers operates on a "table" basis, with an infinite canvas. It allows you...

Cons

The main con of this software is that it's not Excel. It sounds stupid, but in using both Numbers and Excel for separate purposes, the differences are clear. Having to transition around and around from the industry-standard​ Excel to Numbers, which operates just on a slightly different basis can be jarring. Numbers, at the time of writing, was also missing some handy features, such as solving, data analysis, and additional plugins. The exporting into Excel, for those people that don't use Mac, could result in some data being jumbled if using complicated Numbers-specific formulas or formats. The same is true for the other way, as most people won't send you a Numbers document, but an Excel document.

Designer friendly spreadsheets!

Whenever I or my team needs to create spreadsheets, I always see the look on my teams face, but then I show them Numbers! Every person I've shown Apple Numbers to has had their perception changed after a few minutes going through the software. Its incredibly easy to create beautiful, creative, and informative spreadsheets.

Pros

Absolutely everything! I never thought spreadsheets could be a thing of beauty, but Apple Numbers changed my mind. Great, intuitive and aesthetically pleasing User Interface, with awesome export functions and compatibility.

Cons

I would like it to be expanded for mobile platforms (iPhone & iPad)

The Best Spreadsheet Designer

Well, I use Numbers on daily basis, often I open tables that contain year long data and entries, but never faced any sort of slow down while opening such huge tables or surfing through those numerous rows and columns. Numbers is a rock solid software. Plus now it has beautiful shapes and table features which helps making documents far more gorgeous and impressive to look at. Suddenly looking at endless spreadsheets are not dull anymore. Using Numbers has been a fantastic experience.

Pros

The best thing about Numbers is how intuitive it is to use, for different functions like table preparation, lengthy calculations, scheduling and more. The Apple made interface makes so much sense. Another cool thing about Numbers is that it comes with a huge library of ready made templates for various purposes and all can be customised very easily. Apple keeps adding new features quite often to this...

Cons

This is one of the few softwares, where its hard to find a disadvantage. A spreadsheet software as stable and solid as Number will surely meet all the requirements of the user performing tables and calculations. If anyone is using trackpad or Apple mouse, then it will take a few minutes to get used to how the software works with gestures, otherwise there are hardly any cons in this software.