ownCloud

Open source enterprise file sharing platform

ownCloud Reviews

andrew f.

This is a really great piece of software that has been well designed and implemented and does a great job in solving many problems and improving productivity.

Mark M.

Overall the product is good, and a number of addons provide good expanded integration and functionality.

Kevin F.

Cons

It seems management had some terrible ideas which is why all the mind-share seems to be behind nextcloud these days.

Paul T.

Being an Open Source, you can find information on the network, and in this way it can be violated by knowing how it is installed and configured.

Daniel A.

4.2

Free cloud DIY

Having the capacity to get to every one of my documents from anyplace is incredible. I have a few terabytes of documents on my server, more than I would ever store with any of the cloud suppliers out there, in any event not at a sensible cost. When it is set up and designed it is entirely strong and does the activity I require it to do.

Pros

It has phenomenal capacities which encourages me keep my work all together, with my associates, I can synchronize every one of the records on various PCs, it's super sheltered since I can encode the documents, has online music peruser, online content tool, watcher of online archives (PDF, OpenDocument), among numerous different capacities.

Cons

The confounded method to coordinate different advances like FTP. The documentation for the execution of different techniques like FTP is somewhat confounded in comparisson with different instructional exercises.

OwnCloud instead of DropBox

Besides being a "better DropBox", OwnCloud has the ability to use plugins. It has a MarketPlace where you can search for various types of plugins. Most of the plugins are free too.

Pros

OwnCloud is wonderful. It runs on your own server so the only limitations to the amount of storage space you have is the amount of disk space on your server. You can create public links with or without password protection, and you can schedule the link to automatically deactivate. You can have as many synchronized folders as you want (not just one like DropBox). You can share each of these folders with different people or groups, and you have full control over the type of access: read only, write only (drop box), or read/write. Best of all, OwnCloud is an open-source product and it's all absolutely free.

Cons

OwnCloud has an automatic update feature but I've had it fail more times than I've had it succeed. It's not all that hard to upgrade manually, but an automatic update would be much much nicer.

Past its prime and headed the wrong direction

Good while still community oriented, now a dead-end product.

Pros

When I implemented ownCloud, it was a neat opensource platform with an active community, with the option of solid support at a fair price. Filesharing with "cloud" providers like Dropbox leaves you at their mercy for security (or lack thereof!) and the annoying clients require re-training on a regular basis. The support costs of the simple ownCloud web interface with drag-drop file uploading were one-time only. Performance was good enough, support was cheap enough, and it was fine for what we used it for.

Cons

Over the course of a few years, the founders left due to "professional managers" messing things up. Support costs went up with no real indication why. I dropped ownCloud paid and switched to a solid commercial product called FileCloud. For "free" OSS I strongly recommend NextCloud, I've helped several friends set it up and they are ecstatic with the results.

Great platform with a divided community

The software is great. It does its job and it does it perfect.

Pros

It's great to have autonomy on your cloud. You can get file storage that adapts to your very own infrastructure, plus it has a lot of plugins to interact with your data.

Cons

At some point the community divided and the product was forked, which left the people that uses it with two choices.

ownCloud or Nextcloud

Pros

It's great to have your storage in house. The piece of mind that you know where your data is at all times is important, but also, nothing beats local for speed. The clients (I use Windows, Linux and Android clients) make it super easy to sync across different devices - set up once and forget about it!

Cons

I've been going back and forth between ownCloud and Nextcloud (an ownCloud fork) for a couple of years. Started out with ownCloud, switched to Nextcloud, then found out that ownCloud development had caught up and then some, and switched back. Luckily switching is easy but ideally, you want the best of both.

Secured sharing platform

Multi-language is supported on the web interface but is not available on the desktop client as far as I know.

Pros

Synchronization of local documents with the online web platform is automatic, very efficient and fast. You can manage rights on your shared folders. You can be notified by mail when someone change a file on a shared folder. You can send a download link to an external user with a validity limit. OwnCloud is a WebDAV server, so files can be opened thru a web url in Microsoft products and other tools. You can have your own OwnCloud server on-premises. SSO authentication and Custom branding make a great integration with internal tools.

Cons

The solution is not optimized for very big files.

So Cool!

Great software and a great idea for anyone who wants their own self-hosted cloud storage. No sharing, and you keep full control over your data. What's not to love?

Pros

OwnCloud is seriously cool. I used it for a few years on my personal server, making use of that storage for my cloud hosting. It was surprisingly easy-to-install, no hiccups or weird configuration problems with my server (I had it running on BlueHost), and the user interface was straightforward and easy to use. I didn't purchase the smartphone app, although that would have been really cool to try out.

Cons

The software is available at no charge, so it's silly to complain, but I would have liked the interface to be a bit less sterile looking. I imagine the paid platform probably targets enterprises that want on-premise, self-hosted solutions and don't care about having a fun and attractive UI, and to be fair, ownClouds UI is super clean and it is appealing, but it would have been nice if it was just a little less "Microsoftey." That's a pretty minimal complaint though.

Pioneer on open source cloud storage.

I love owncloud, i been there almost since it born, and I'm using it now, actively participating in the community.

Pros

I been using owncloud for at least 10 years. I'm part of the translation to spanish too. I got mad at bugs, problems, etc, but this growed quick and bugs were repaired. Now, is the solution that I use internal in the institution (government) and for my personal customers, for backup. The big pro is that the space its what you can afford in hard drives. Easy to maintain. Secure. With a lot of addons for productivity and integration. Clients for every single OS that exist.

Cons

As same as dropbox and other products, the big con that I found is that every time that the client starts needs to scan all folders. In big folders with a lot of files, this take a while and it use a lot of hard drive. So when your OS starts client will kill the HD until finishing the indexing of files.

Open source custom storage solution.

Pros

Owncloud is absolutely wonderful. With pricing of storage going up everywhere else, OwnCloud's system is the one to beat. Open source, it works just like Dropbox/Onedrive and other systems we've already used. It's quick to set up, most web hosts can handle it with no issues. You can customize your login page, your admins, and using it is pretty intuitive. If you're looking for customized storage that you control, OwnCloud will do the job well.

Cons

When first added, there were a few errors that I had to have my host sort, because I couldn't find any documentation on them for the OwnCloud. Since it's open source, it doesn't have a very robust support system.

Free midsize solution for filestorage

for a free solution it is one of the best choices in the opensource world.

Pros

It is your own server so it is the best to secure by your own way. Cook it as you prefer.

Cons

The Admin Panel lacks lots to enterprise features. The base idea of sharing files is not intuitive. It tooks a bit to get used of its limit.

Best alternative for Dropbox

We're very satisfied with OwnCloud considering the price we pay for it. We're not considering to move out of it in the next coming years.

Pros

We've switched from DropBox due to one feature it miss which is on-prem support. We use OwnCloud in an on-premise deployment method and now we're more comfortable that our files are more secured unlike before. Also OwnCloud supports server-side encryption as well

Cons

It doesn't have any support for file locking. Lack of ability to detect duplicate changes on the same file by 2 different users.

Easy file sharing

We frequently have to share very large files (zip files, videos, etc.) with our clients for their approvals. This process was always complicated and we employed a number of solutions over the years. None has been as easy to use and as reliable as ownCloud. It has literally made my life easier. I am able to organize files into folders with separate passwords and urls allowing me to share only what is needed to specific people. I know that my clients will be able to access and download what they need, when they need it. That gives me great piece of mind.

Pros

This software makes it very easy and RELIABLE to share files with our clients and others. It offers a very easy to use interface and has NEVER failed to upload or download. Prior to getting this tool, we struggled with method for sharing (especially large) files with our clients. Once our IT dept got a hold of ownCloud and customized it for our use, my life got measurably easier.

Cons

The only issue I have ever had with it is when I was surprised by a site expiring. Now, I know it was my fault to set a date and then forget it...but it would be nice to receive a notice when an expiration date is nearing. I have learned how to manage that better, but would still appreciate a notification.

ownCloud lets you own your cloud.

Experience is overall positive as the benefits typically outweigh any difficulties. Data sovereignty and geo-fencing regulations are some of the main reasons I consider using ownCloud.

Pros

Controlling your own data, while enjoying much of the benefits of the likes of dropbox or onedrive. Ability to link mobile phones and sync contacts and calendars. File/folder sync between devices.

Cons

Update process between versions can be cumbersome depending on your installation and set up method.

Great software

My experience has been positive, I will continue to use and tell others about it

Pros

We have had ZERO issues with this software, works great and is also a perfect alternative to store documents that others need to access

Cons

I do not have anything to say about this software that would be a con

Thank you very much for this review. Great to hear that you have had zero issues and that ownCloud is helpful for your work. Just in case any questions or issues should arise, we are always happy to help. So don't hesitate to contact us, for details see: https://owncloud.org/help/

The "original" NextCloud - superb software

Owncloud served us well, was very stable and reliable and packed with functionality - highly recommended especially for commercial applications.

Pros

Cons

The fork to Nextcloud with purer development goals made a point in time where the leap to a new platform become compelling.

A perfect Cloud Storage for an organization

Overall Owncloud is a perfect place to organize and backup your files and documents.

Pros

We used Owncloud as our backup storage of our organization documents. I liked the ease of upload, share and version control.

Cons

Sometimes uploading a folder and subfolders wasn't easy. One had to zip it before uploading which was a little time consuming. But for single files there was no such problem.

Host your own cloud

While I ultimately decided to go with Nextcloud over this one they both work really well and if the idea of an enterprise version appeals to you for business reasons then this is the way to go. Own cloud functions well and does a fantastic job of syncing files between my computers and MY cloud.

Pros

Keep your files onsite. you don't have to relinquish control of your files to some cloud provider to enjoy the sync and sharing privileges that they offer you can run your own cloud. This is a storage platform that stores your files like Dropbox and sync's them with your computer or computers . They have clients for Linux, Mac , Windows, Android and iOS. There is a free version but also there is a paid enterprise version with expanded features. There is also a growing market place of apps that you can install on your instance to expand functionality even further.

Cons

Can be a little complicated to setup initially. Not all features are available in the free/open source version.

Great aelf hosted platform

Pros

Pretty easy to install for an open-source solution Easy to configure & upgrade

Cons

The cache configuration can be complicated to configure. I have an issue on sharing a file on an external storage. Développers know about it, but it seems complicated to solve

Excellent tool for sharing files in the cloud

Excellent tool to share and save files in the cloud

Pros

Easy handling, installation and configuration. After its implementation there is a cloud storage service, low cost that does not envy anything to similar programs with licensing costs

Cons

In the past this was areally good software, now there is air upward

Pros

The fact, that you are able to install the Host on nearly every source you like (NAS, computer, raspberry,...). So you can scale the cloud as you like!

Cons

The con is about the android application. It it very buggy so that the auto backup doesn't work.

Keep control of your files

Saving fines onto our own hardware allows for flexibility while maintaining control over the full software stack.

Pros

Having my files on a server I control is a significant benefit. The user interface makes sharing files easy, with shares including an optional expiry date.

Cons

Installation and updates take some knowledge of Linux systems, and troubleshooting gets very technical quickly. This should be expected, since you are running a powerful server.

Powerfull filsharing and more

Simple tool i´m using since a long time. Stable but less inovations.

Pros

owncloud is a well known and stable tool for sharing files. But beside sharing files it´s also an calender-server a, contact-server and if needed a gallery. Owncloud offers a lot of plugins to fit a lot of needs.

Cons

Develoment slows down after the fork of nextcloud. The main focus is towards paying bussiness users.

Decent but lacking

Overall, we decided to leave OwnCloud in favour of NextCloud. NC has a faster development cycle and seems to listen to the community more when it comes to what they focus their efforts on. While I'm sure OC is good for Enterprise clients, our experience was that it was ONLY for enterprise.

Pros

Cons

The development focus is generally aimed at Enterprise only, the community needs don't seem to be nearly as important and so addressing feature requests is low on the totem.

Easy to use and implement

My general experience is positive, it is a great alternative to store and share files, in my personal case I use it in the company where I work to share files by departments, I manage the cloud, create and eliminate users, create groups and apply different policies.

Pros

What I liked most about the software is the ease of sharing and managing the files in the cloud, apart from the groups that can be created to share files in common.

Cons

Within the same group you can not create policies where not all of the same group can view the files, to achieve this you have to create a different group with only the people you want to share or share individually with each one.

Excellent personal storage tool for documents, files or multimedia elements.

Easy to use. High availability of material for learning about the use of the platform. Easy to use. It is a very friendly tool.

Pros

I really like the ability of this platform to be able to make it keep all the things that I want and be able to share them with a link of vesialization, providing permission, blocking files, indicating the expiration date of the link etc. I find it impressive and very easy to use.

Cons

The not being able to do the implementation of the platform in a private environment since it has many limitations for that operating system. Taking into account that most people use that operating system.