pocket Reviews

4.46/5 (39 reviews)

Nathan Sichilongo

Useful Read it Later app... but not without its flaws

Reviewed 2018-05-30

Pros
I have been using Pocket for about a year plus as my go to read it later app. It works pretty good for the basic stuff, here are some of the things I particularly like 1) The ability to save an article from almost any web browser and find them in one centralized place. The Save it for later button is a godsend 2) Recommended articles are amazing, in most cases they are just what I need to look at, not sure if its AI or just based on what I have read in the past but its great. Even saved articles come with other recommended reads, great for days when I want to go down a rabbit hole and really study a subject. 3) The app syncing is great, rendering of articles is usually on point which is good. I can have all the articles I have saved at my disposal with a few taps.

Cons
Pocket is not without its flaws, the features are 1) No Save articles to list feature, when saving articles, they all just save to a big list. This is ok but for someone who has a habit of saving a lot of articles, it would be great if they could be saved into lists, say a weekend reading list. There is some functionality in tags for this but its just not good enough, being able to save to a list is way better. 2) Reminders for saved articles would be good. As mentioned, I save a lot of articles, if I could have reminders to read some of them when I have free time it would be the perfect app (sometimes a reminder is helpful) 3) More content discovery sources - With the addition of Apple News and Google News, there is a lot of competition for Pocket. Content discovery is fairly ok within Pocket but if there could be better ways to find content rather than just stumbling upon it, say following certain authors and the like, it would be great.

Likelihood to recommend: 6/10

Victor Iryniuk

My favorite app ever!

Reviewed 2019-06-30

Pros
You can never read all of the stuff you come across online. And you can not come across any online stuff while commuting without the internet connection. Here's where Pocket comes in -- a match made in haven. Pocket lets you save any web-pages you come across for reading them later in a single click via the browser extension or you phone Share option. Syncing is fast and simple. Pocket strips away everything unrelated to the article so it also work as a distraction-free reading tool. Over time, pocket team has started adding some QoL improvement, but they take a lot of time in beta testing, so I recommending joining the app beta (its very stable).

Cons
There are some Free version limitation (like how many highlight you can make), but if you don't care for such features, the free version will be more than enough. Overall, I have and had zero issues with Pocket - it's that good.

Gilles De Clerck

One of the most powerful productivity boosters out there... if used well

Reviewed 2019-03-10

Pros
I used to struggle with productivity because I would let apps and websites hijack my attention, jumping between Facebook feeds, Quora answers, Medium articles and news sites. Pocket has enabled me to save articles and web pages that interest me with one click so I can dive into them later. I maintain my flow while not missing out. On Saturdays, I often go sit in a cosy coffeeplace reading my saved stuff from the week in an environment free of distractions, with internet often turned off.

Cons
I have absolutely zero complaints. This thing does one thing and it does it well: safeguard your time and be intentional about it, without missing out on inspiration floating around on the web. It does all of that for free. Given how often I use this and how much added value I've been able to extract from it, that's quite amazing.

Victor Iryniuk

The first app I always install

Reviewed 2018-03-17

Pros
Basically, everthing about Pocket is a wonder. You're getting a ton of features for free. It has always been great for reading articles later. Even without Premium account, you won't hit any limitations. Over time, Pocket got only better. They've added Highlights which is just a must have if you're not simply reading articles but researching a topic. Another great thing I've been waiting for (and they delivered it) is the estimated read time. There are a lot more things how Pocket can develop further but each new feature brings only more possibilities. Great job, Pocket Team! P.S. The support team is great, always relying on Twitter.

Cons
The only thing I want is for the features to develop even further.

Anastasia Tatsenko

Favorite app overall

Reviewed 2019-07-02

Pros
pocket is a simple idea executed perfectly. You just hit Save and the articles get delivered to your account as text with only the key images. No adds, read more, etc. It's a great way to catch up on reading the articles you had no time for when you've stumbled upon them. It syncs fast and makes articles available online, making it the best companion for a long commute.

Cons
Not all images get saved in pocket. If an article has some complex layout or many embedded elements, the offline reading mode may skip on them.

Yaroslav Kozak

Best program for article saving. Amazing features, UX and functionality

Reviewed 2018-12-21

Pros
App has no alternatives. Simply the best solution for saving articles, creating reading lists, sharing and content planning.

Cons
I believe, the developers of the app have stopped bringing new things during past time. App is great as it is, but I would suggest focusing on new things on the market and new ways how we can use this app. Voice records, videos, anything for content management would be great!

Pocket Review

Reviewed 2019-01-01

Pros
I have been using the application for a long time. It is very useful to save all the articles that you want to read but dont have the time to read at that moment. It syncs really well with Flipboard

Cons
I dont see any cons with this application. It is serving the purpose for which this software was made for so I dont have any cons to mention.

Annalisha Johnson

Great way to keep track of things I'd like to read later

Reviewed 2018-04-07

Pros
I am so happy I stumbled on to Pocket. I love that I can save web links with a few clicks. I don't remember how I saved articles I wanted to read or reference before I started using Pocket.

Cons
The only con I can say applies to me and not Pocket. I save so many articles and don't take the time to go back and read them. Shame on me. I need to get better at that or maybe if there was a reminder option in the app I could set. Not sure if that would be beneficial though. I love it as it is.

Anonymous

Super handy tool to keep articles and websites for later

Reviewed 2018-07-18

Pros
I love this one a lot! It is super handy . I no longer need to bookmark sites or gather URL of articles I want to read but don't have the time to do it right away. With Pocket you can get a free browser extension and when you come across a website or article you want to keep for later, you just click the extension button and Pocket saves the link to the site or document. Then later, when you have the time to read, you just go to your Pocket account and find what you "bookmarked" earlier. Super simple, yet very powerful. Totally recommend.

Cons
Nothing, for me this app is perfect. No objections, no cons, no bad experience. For me it just works.

Every Blogger's Helpmate in Saving Sourced Content

Reviewed 2018-10-17

Pros
As a business blogger for my previous company, Pocket has helped me with my note-taking. When I see articles that are interesting as new topics, pocket saves it for me to read later on. I never had to bookmark each tab in my browser. It helped me organize my thoughts and my content sources.

Cons
Pocket has been helpful, however, it does not let me share or connect my list of articles to other Pocket users. I had to manually copy the links to share to my colleagues.

Jacob Koshy

An intuitive way to save web links to read later

Reviewed 2017-11-17

Pros
The browser extension makes it easier to simply right click and save it to pocket. The ease of use would be the best thing about Pocket.

Cons
The mobile app has now become cluttered with irrelevant recommendations and there's too much noise. It was better when things were minimal and clean.

Raymond Ng

Keep any pieces of ad-hoc information

Reviewed 2017-08-16

Pros
Pocket can help us store any pieces of ad-hoc information for future review. Today it is common for people to access information online anytime, anywhere. By using Pocket, users can store any pieces of important information while browsing online.

Cons
Pocket needs to provide a tagging function for users to categorize their stored information for future searching.

Rostane Gribi

Loving it for years !!

Reviewed 2018-12-04

Pros
So easy to use with the plugin on my browser and the sharing options on my phone, I always have something to read handy. But one of my favorites features is the audio transcriptions, I can listen to my articles anytime, thanks guys !

Cons
Some articles can't be saved as they keep their original html format but it's rare... Other than that I'm good.

Mohammed Anzil

Favorite Read it Later App

Reviewed 2015-09-21

Pocket and Instapaper are two great services i have been using to read my favorite article to read later. Finally i decided to go with one , here i choose Pocket over Instapaper because its error free completely. One thing I really like about Pocket is that it only saves the main article nothing else. It gives me a complete distraction free reading experience. Pocket will display a thumbnail from the saved articles, gives a beautiful look and it helps me to find my articles easily. The latest 6.0 release introduced recommendations that helps us to deliver the best content being saved to Pocket by millions of users.

Pros
Pocket comes with unlimited storage so we won't need to worry about storage limits.

Cons
Pocket doesn't have a good support with Amazon Kindle. Another disadvantage is Pocket does not let you share multiple items with other users or to other social networks.

Anonymous

Great product comes great price

Reviewed 2018-07-25

Pros
Pocket provides you great features to save any articles or posts from any website to read and watch them later. You can reach them on your phone and your desktop account.

Cons
The free version is not giving you premium features like an advanced search and personal backup. And I would like to see a better design.

Anonymous

Great way to save website pages for later offline viewing/reading

Reviewed 2018-12-05

Pros
Very easy to use, especially if you integrate it with your browser (very easy to do) Multi-platform, can use with all my mobile devices (e.g. iphone, ipad, etc.)

Cons
Sometimes it's easy to accidentally add a web page to Pocket when working inside your browser, but it's also very easy to delete an accidentally saved page

Tomasz Mieczkowski

Before there was pocket...

Reviewed 2018-07-16

Pros
... there was RSS. Which only hardcore readers used. Everyone else either didn't utilize anything or chose to use a bookmark, which would then become messy and unreadable so people bookmarked stuff and did nothing with it. Enter Pocket... A tool that finally lets you be organized with all the links regardless of whether you're a mac or a PC user. They say you can save from 800 apps. I can't even think of 800 apps.

Cons
No search by tag option for non-premium members. If that's the only feature you really need, you'll have to pay for a year so that you can search by tag, but hey, otherwise it's free.

Freddie Isbister

Easy to use tool meaning you'll never be stuck for something to read

Reviewed 2018-10-09

Pros
Pocket solves any boredom issues by allowing you to save and read articles at a later date, without internet access. it also has a useful feature by tagging articles so they can be sorted and also searched.

Cons
Images do not always appear and you can be left with hundreds of articles that never get read unless you spend time to manage the tagging system. Not all browsers seem to work with Pocket. You need the most up to date versions I've found.

Liz Ward

I love pocket!

Reviewed 2018-10-09

Pros
I like having my many bookmarks well organized. I appreciate the tagging feature. I think the price is great too.

Cons
I have no complaints so far. I had to make a change since chrome bookmarks were going away. I am happy I went with Pocket.

Anonymous

Works great for the avid info junky

Reviewed 2018-06-14

Pros
Pocket has been very useful when I read something that peaked my interest and wanted to read it later. It both serves as a bookmark as well as a viewer to display online content in a very east to digest format. I would typically get a few work related articles bookmarked and read on my train commute in the morning.

Cons
This tool has been very useful and I cannot say anything negative. It has been stable and user friendly. It might be nice to have some more features such as reading articles etc.

Meghan Edwards

Embarrassing That You Even Call Yourselves News

Reviewed 2019-02-18

Pros
NONE

Cons
Your article uneducated, misinformed and almost as embarrassing as your attempt to joke about your readers’ votes lacking significance in 2016. Until you attempt to report true news, I am uninterested in reading your content and truthfully, I don’t know who else would be. Pocket is a disgrace to news reporting. Unsubscribe.

Likelihood to recommend: 0/10

Anonymous

Thank goodness my boss told me about Pocket!

Reviewed 2019-06-28

Pros
Pocket is one of those software tools/apps that you'll wonder how you ever survived without it. I come across so much great content that I want to read, but don't have time for/don't want to be interrupted for. So I just stash it in Pocket for later consumption. Also, the ability to tag content is super great.

Cons
No cons whatsoever. I only use Pocket in Chrome and I use Chrome consistently across all of my devices, so I can't speak to other browsers

Tim Lilyquist

Pocket... Save Stuff for Later

Reviewed 2017-07-11

Pros
Pocket is an easy to use webpage saver. It allows you to simply click the Pocket button in your browser, and there you go... webpage saved with link to the original article, etc.

Cons
Pocket isn't as user-friendly on mobile devices (Android for me). Pocket can't save the entirety of the webpage, only the text. No pics.

Pshemislav Kaspshik

Very good feature for storring important articles for later.

Reviewed 2018-12-06

Pros
Very useful feature, for storing articles I can't read at the moment for later. Very easy to store using the Firefox browser (my default).

Cons
I couldn't find a way to get the stored articles from my Kindle device, which would make the reading experience better.

Christian Kehr

Best Reading App

Reviewed 2015-08-26

I love Pocket, it's integration with Chrome helps to define articles I want to read later. It's app makes reading on the go extremely easy, even offline.

Pros
offline access, chrome integration

Cons
none that I can think off