Slab Reviews

Pros

The live chat support is the best I've ever encountered, and the overall customer service experience has been great: quick response time, helpful answers, positive attitude.

A sleek and intuitive wiki tool with outstanding search and the best customer support.

It has an awesome & crisp user interface, easy to use editor with tons of integrations and most importantly this app super fast unlike many collaboration tools I have seen that get really slow.

Cons

Slab was down for an hour due to some fire or windstorm something weird and I could hardly function.

Sam C.

Kate W.

4.9

Most affordable for a small company just getting started with a knowledge base program

We are solving the problem of how to document processes/knowledge base.

Pros

It does the basics of making searchable recipe cards for how to do things, including uploading documents/files

Cons

There is nothing I don't like. I am sure programs that cost a lot more do more but this is a starter option for a small company

Slab changed the way our company creates and uses documentation

Slab is so easy to use and has just the right amount of features to be everything you need, but not a lot of extra features that get in the way. From setting it up, to getting the team onboard, to adding new articles, to searching articles, everything works as you would expect without having to figure anything out. It's simple and easy to use, and we enjoy using it more and more. We are a web development firm and provide website maintenance services, so Slab contains everything from company policies to detailed technical documentation for solving specific problems, and it has worked great for everything we wanted to document.

Pros

We love how easy it is for everyone to create and find documentation. We tried many different systems to store documentation, but Slab has worked really well for everyone in the company. The integration with Slack makes it so much more convenient than always having to go to yet another system. We can frequently answer each other's questions with a Slab article, and when we can't, we try to create the Slab article right then and respond to the person with a link to the newly built article. This has allowed us to better expand our documentation and stop repeating the same questions.

Cons

There are only a few minor things we found that would be nice such as the ability to attach files right to an article rather than having to upload somewhere else and linking to it. We also looked at other systems that had checklists which seemed like a nice feature, but we realized we wouldn't actually use that feature. Neither of these features has even been missed as we've been using Slab for months now, and the more we use it, the more we like it.

Functional but needs more features

Slab will be a useful tool for us to share information internally. Updates are coming, but the updates page (https://updates.slab.com/) doesn't seem to be updated in sync with releases and updates don't seem too frequent. I look forward to monitoring the direction the Slab team takes their software.

Pros

My favourite things about Slab are: - integration with Google Drive (including searches). - searches don't just bring up where the term was found, but also highlight it in context. - calendars, spreadsheets, and other documents can be embedded into documents. - ability to add guests.

Cons

My least favourite things about Slab are: - it can be hard to know what to read and how to read it. - images cannot be embedded inline with text. - email addresses are not automatically parsed into mailto: links. - there is no find and replace (within a post nor system wide). - ordered lists cannot have paragraphs in between (without restarting the numbering). - when cross-referencing other posts...

A breath of fresh air after Confluence

Much easier to access vs. our on-premise Confluence install, and the real-time collaboration features are working well so far. Hopefully performance keeps up over time.

Pros

You can write up and use a table of contents WHILE editing your document Topics make it easy to tag a document for multiple teams and make it easy to find Promising embedding feature for things like Docs and Sheets

Cons

The edit vs. read switch isn't very clear to me, and I often click it back and forth to make sure I'm in the right mode

Sleek, Intuitive, Blazing fast, and great customer support!

I was looking for a reasonably priced knowledge management service that works well with Korean. I've tried many services in the past, and I had a lot of issues with search, export and sharing. Atlassian's product was overwhelmingly feature-rich. It is a very nice product. But it wasn't for our team. Our team needed a simple product that is not so hard to use, and works well with Korean./ Slab is awesome...

Pros

- fast search (it's really fast and precise) - fast rendering of pages - renders markdown in a very pleasing way - an auto-generated table of contents is a great feature - awesome customer service.

Cons

It's still actively developing. Things might change here and there. Integration still has rooms for improvement. I hope it supports integration with more on-premise solutions like NextCloud, and Mattermost.

Excellent alternative for creating a wiki or corporate knowledge base

It is the tool that I selected to create the knowledge base of the research team to which I belong. We have been using it since the beginning of 2020. Very useful for academic or business use.

Pros

Very organized, clean and elegant interface. Very easy to write articles, to organize knowledge. The same article can belong to multiple topics. Pleasant to use for reading and writing. Individual pages can be shared publicly. Good cost-benefit.

Cons

The main weakness is that there are many competitors in this niche, in particular Notion and Coda.io. Competitors have more integrations via API, features and allow embedding a greater number of file types.

Whenever a vendor or person who doesn't work here uses our slab they have decided to implement slab at their company. Every. Time.

Pros

easy and clean way to store your teams information. integrates with most everything. we work with a lot of vendors, and slab is by far the easiest way to onboard them with all the info they could ever need.

Cons

you need a champion. to speerhead getting onboarded and practicing regular hygeine. one you get over that initial internal user adoption bump tho, (i undestand this will sound weird) but people will get addicted to making sure your companies info and policies are correct.

The only company wiki you will ever need!

We compared apps ranging from minimalst Nuclino to complex Confluence: Slab was the clear winner and we never regretted the choice! It was a breeze to get everyone onto the app and going. Sharing articles on Slack is practical, collaboration features don't leave anything desired, user access is handy, activity keep you updated and history makes human error easy to fix. Frequent updates makes this app better by the month, the team cares and is quick to respond. Thanks to representative and his team!

Pros

- easy of use, setup and management (domain sign-on, sections, familiar editor) - slick and modern design lets you focus on what's important and forget everything else - best in class editing experience, reminiscent of Dropbox Paper - growing list of integrations with apps we love (Airtable, Paper, Asana, Trello, Slack...) - powerful unified cross platform search (Slab, Slack, Google Drive) - find always what you're looking with Slab's magical search

Cons

- lack of text formatting (some can be accessed through keyboard shortcuts) - table integration could be more complex - sections can't be collapsed - no user groups, though it's easy to add single users

A great tool to store knowledge for your organization

We were looking for a durable place to store team knowledge that everyone could search and contribute to. We experimented with a dozen other platforms but Slab was the most feature-complete and easiest to use of the bunch. The team is small but their response time and customer service is excellent.

Pros

It's easy to use with a wonderfully simple interface. Very easy to teach to peers and get them contributing in no time. The ability to search Slab, Slack, and Google Drive all at once is a lifesaver.

Cons

It can be a little bit difficult to visually navigate between the different topics. The interface is very minimal so it's out of the way, but not exactly beautiful.

Much Better Than Confluence

My team finds that Slab meets our needs MUCH better than Atlassian Confluence. We made up our minds to make the switch only a few days into our trial.

Pros

Slab just WORKS. It achieved our major requirements: * Live-updating for collaborative note taking (especially helpful in meetings and interviews) * Access restrictions: some of our knowledge needs to be accessible only by certain users * Great cut-and-paste: this was especially helpful in transitioning from Confluence, and in aggregating knowledge from other sources * Reasonable pricing * Stable: it just works! A huge shift from Confluence, which was constantly broken

Cons

I miss columns and more advanced layouts, but they are not mission-critical. I *really* miss embedding PDFs. Slab lets you upload images... but that's it. No other files. I REALLY hope this changes soon.

Slab is a great choice for Markdown-based team documentation

We are solving the business problem of a lack of documentation. We didn't have much in the way of documentation prior to using Slab. Slab has helped us compile most of our docs and information into one easy-to-access, easy-to-use central repository. We have realized benefits with on-boarding especially -- there's a lot of information we keep in Slab that isn't "ASAP must-reads" for new hires -- but that stuff is definitely still helpful for them to absorb in their first few weeks. Having a place where they can explore the documentation on their own, at their own pace -- it has been very valuable.

Pros

- Simple, Markdown based docs. You can copy-paste from a Github repo if you were originally using that to store your information -- or vice versa, if you decide your Slab docs would be better off living in a README. - Sensible export with usable file-names -- no platform lock. If you don't like Slab, you can leave very easily. One click of a button grabs all of your documents in Markdown format and sticks them into a Zip file. - Congratulatory thanks messages on your posts are a nice touch that helps you feel as though your docs are actually being used when someone thanks you for them - Organization/team/user settings are simple and they just work. Don't have to play with a billion permissions to make sure users can read and edit docs. Inviting new users is very simple.

Cons

- No warning/success/failure/note pull-blocks to emphasize certain information. That said, I suggested it to Slab's customer support team, and they said it is on the roadmap! - Tables are not so good -- but Markdown tables in general are very simple, so this is more a Markdown limitation than a Slab limitation. - Image handling is not so good -- you don't get to set alignments or text wrapping. Again I think this is a Markdown limitation rather than a Slab limitation -- you are trading the Markdown simplicity for some table and image control.

Slab has become a core part of how we do business

Pros

Easy to get started, easy to use. You don't need a whole library of knowledge or even have thought about the perfect organizational scheme. Slab was a great tool for us when we were just getting started, has scaled with us nicely, and I can clearly see how it will scale with us further as we grow.

Cons

Weren't many integrations to start, but have been adding them at a rapid clip.

Really nice collaborative notes

We use Slack and take notes on our own computers, usually using Bear. Before Slab, we would literally copy and paste the latest markdown from a specific note into a Slack channel or DM. Basecamp doesn’t offer collaborative notes whatsoever, and we got tired of not being in sync. Slab is our go-to collaborate note taking app now, and we use it constantly throughout the day on a number of software projects. It’s the only way we’d be able to keep in sync.

Pros

Markdown support and collaborative editing! We had previously used a tool named for mountain climbing, and editing text using their editor was horrendous. For a web tool made around teams, Slab does an excellent job getting out of the way when we start working.

Cons

It’s sometimes unclear at first what to do with projects and posts, since they nest inside each other. I also haven’t figured out if there’s a way to specify a default post sort for all projects (descending by modified time would be best). Both are very minor.

It has been nothing but positive, and I wish Slab further growth and a ton of happy users!

Pros

Slab is extremely user-friendly and easy to set up. It took no time to figure out all of the conveniently laid out features and start documenting my team's knowledge and organizing it using Topics (labels). - The search is fantastic and extends to your Slack and GDrive if you give Slab the permissions; - The roles and permissions settings are very flexible and you can compartmentalize your information...

Cons

The only drawback for my team is lack of Gitlab integration, but I know it's a huge piece of functionality, so I hope as the demand grows it will be added.

Great team wiki

I’ve loved using slab as an engineering manager onboarding new hires, as well as a startup founder focused on product management.

Pros

The beautiful, intuitive, simple interface

Cons

Lack of permissions, which has recently been fixed with secret notes and guest access

Great decision to utilize Slab!

We have had a great experience with Slab! They have been so helpful and responsive during our preparation in rolling this out to our team.

Pros

The design is very aesthetically appealing and design is easy to use!

Cons

So far, our team has not run into any cons for this software. Any issues we have run into has been fixed in a timely manner.

Intuitive & a pleasure to use

Pros

Easy to use, customizable, and well adapted for companies seeking to have a central hub for documentation for the entire org.

Cons

At first, it was challenging to figure out some of the product features that were available.

My desktop is beautiful now

Pros

Work feels calm, cool and collected when I use Slab. I spend less time bouncing back and forth between tabs and more time *actually thinking* through the content of a doc. With their integrations, everything flows in so smoothly. Not to mention, I spend way less time searching through my inbox, slack messages and Drive in order to find the thing I actually need - THAT is game-changing for my productivity and flow.

Cons

I wish you could make some topics public so it could serve as a help desk!

Internal Wiki for Law Practice

They have been responsive to my needs. Some of my product feedback was fixed and implemented very quickly. I appreciate the attention to customer feedback. The recent UX update is very nice as well.

Pros

It is an easy way to disseminate information to a broad legal team to make sure high value legal knowledge is not silo'd in individuals. It improves our overall efficiency as a firm.

Cons

One of our use cases is a Quora type Q&A. However, it is not easy to capture Quora like functionality. This would help make the product more dynamic for our purposes.

Slab Provided the Easy Documentation Needed

I would gladly recommend this as a wiki for enterprise use. It's easy to use while still offering most of what an organization needs in a system like this.

Pros

It was easy to begin creating our first documents. Once we'd determined our topic organizational structure we were off. We had a stockpile of Google docs that copied over. New pages were simple to create and edit.

Cons

I wish Slab had an automated table of contents that functioned independently of the topics.

The best team Wiki and company information and process documentation application.

We use slab for an Internal Wiki and team information storage.

Pros

1. Very fast and responsive. The search and speed of the application is among the fastest i've seen. 2. Easily to quickly jump in and start using effectively right away. 3. Nice design. Easy to navigate within the application. The commenting features are great.

Cons

1. Would be a couple features i'd like to see added but overall its perfectly sufficient for what we use it primarily for.

Using Slab to replace Confluence

Great! It has really helped us rapidly organize our SW Documentation with little to no team training to use.

Pros

So easy to use ... I had our entire documentation structure built in about 10 min and was able to rapidly role this out internally.

Cons

The biggest issue I see is the interface for attaching Google Drive documents inside of Posts. Instead of being able to just browse and select a file you have to get the share link and manually paste it in.

Easy Wiki Solution

Pros

This is extremely easy to use and implement on a team. Allows for a great collaboration and easy sharing of information with those outside the organization as well.

Cons

Some of the export features are limited. The PDF export does not utilize the markdown platform very well. To create a shareable link outside the organization is slightly confusing

Slab is the smartest "no-brainer" knowledge database for our company.

Our experience with Slab has been phenomenal. We were currently using an alternative knowledge database, but the functionality, and ease-of-use does not compare at all to Slab.

Pros

-Incredibly user-friendly interface -Integration with many different tech tools, like Slack and Google Drive -Beautiful design

Cons

Honestly, everything looks incredible. I honestly can't find a single flaw.

Great alternative to Google docs

We enjoy using it. We have tried other similar softwares, such as confluence, but Slab works better and has a better user experience and smoother flow

Pros

Allows more interaction and building off of the work from others on the team. It serves as a great library of information and can be read through easily.

Cons

There are a lot of moving pieces and it can get overwhelming.