All categories

Learn why GetApp is free

Slack Reviews

20,392 reviews

Best Communication Software for Internal Communications

I think it's genuinely improved communication and increased connectivity especially during the COVID pandemic and the new working from home life. I greatly appreciate the video integration feature as well as it makes it super easy to do one-on-one or small group check-in's without tying up video conferencing software. I've actually changed most of the executive's check-in's with others to Slack calls right now! While there's definitely some business-level restrictions that can help things flow more smoothly, such as having a limit to how many channels people create, etc., Slack has almost everything I could ask for and I'm slightly sad none of my other organizations I've worked for have utilized this service! It would have saved us a lot of time and trying to contact others.

Pros

I'll rant slight because I love Slack so much. 1) Reminiscent of AOL Instant Messenger, Slack makes communicating internally fun, easy, and instant (depending on the response time). 2) It's encrypted! Not only can I send and receive confidential information from someone, I don't have to worry about it getting into the wrong hands. Since I often book travel on a number of different executive's credit...

Cons

A few things I would like them to change: 1) Font formatting in a post can be difficult. 2) When using bullet points, I haven't found a good way to format sub-bullet points. 3) Copying and pasting can be difficult due to formatting. These are all things easily worked around, however.

Best Team Coordination App I Have Used

Slack is a great complement to email for quick messages and coordinating with others. I still send research results and other files through email, where I can be more long form, but it makes it extremely easy to ask quick questions or notify others. On a recent project, my team used Slack to "lock" parts of a paper we working on. Overall, Slack has been an excellent coordination tool. It's simple and perfect for my usage

Pros

Slack is an excellent chat tool which is a step above a simple group chat, but not as complex as something like Microsoft Teams. I love that you can divide discussions into different channels. For my organization, we use different channels for different projects and research groups. This prevents main discussions from getting too cluttered and provides privacy for projects which everyone does not need to know about. At the same time, it is not overly cumbersome as I found Microsoft Teams to be. It does not have social networking features, but we don't need that. We have the choice between using Slack or Teams, and I prefer slack for this reason.

Cons

Slack always seems to be logging out of my workspaces. I find that I constantly need to log back in at least once a week. This is a minor annoyance, hence why my rating is still very high, but this problem can delay my work a few minutes each time it happens.

Slack solves most issues, but not all

Slack felt very familiar for me since I already used Discord for social and gaming needs. I liked the ability to customise my interface with literally any colour I chose and the apps and addons I could add (namely, ClickUp) were extremely helpful. However, the pricing model proved a bit too aggressive for my company. I have a small design company in Brasil (which means North American dollars are about...

Pros

It essentially makes e-mailing obsolete and has several neat utilities that help streamline the thought, decision, discussion and feedback processes.

Cons

I had less control than I expected (and needed) in regards to overall look and feel, as well as the users' level of interaction in an attempt to soften the learning curve and address some of the app-switching angst. On top of that, the imposing pricing limitations effectively made it impossible for my company to fully transition to Slack.

Best Team Communication Software Out There

Very positive. Few complaints. A super fun, dynamic, effective platform for work, projects, etc. alike.

Pros

I don't think anything can compete with Slack. It's quick, efficient, fun to use, social, playful (GIF's! /giphy), unclogged and dynamic. The calling and group chat features have been especially handy lately with remote working. I also love that you can add such a diverse range of content (code, movies, images, gifs, lists, quizzes, link previews, etc.). The polls + GIF randomizers also keeps things 'fun' and light, useful for all types of people in all types of roles. The UX is very straightforward, the interface design is beautiful and FUN, which is important for a communication platform. People enjoy being on Slack. I don't mind opening it up - and that means a lot, considering it means I'm working. The search and archive functions are also great.

Cons

Don't have many complaints, honestly. I think it might be better if you had a way of storing 'updates' for projects, the way Basecamp does. Pinning messages, or files? To prioritize them, so they don't get lost in the conversation flow. Also could maybe benefit from a 'presentation mode' for Slack video, unless it exists already, to compete more with its competitors like Zoom? But overall, I have few/no complaints.

Necessary for any Team that wants to Communicate

It's a very powerful tool that is the backbone of non-face-to-face communications. It's easier and less formal than emails so folks are more apt to just jump in and communicate (which is great). But with loose structure around it, folks are more apt to just spout nonsense in there. The chatroom style of organizing the communication can make it difficult to get past noise since it only takes a GIF or...

Pros

I love that almost any service can send notification through Slack either directly or with an integration tool. Jira ticket creations get alerted in specific channels based on project/issue type for example. And Slack can be used to create polls, set reminders, etc. The sidebar organizes your channels (which can be public or private) as well as your DMs (which can be with 1 person or a group of people). The search function is neat, and channels/DMs can be searched/saved/archived/etc.

Cons

Ok, the downside can be astronomical- but it can be controlled with good administration. Slack can easily get out hand with multiple channels that confuse standard-authoritative messaging, and if the channels get too numerous then Slack monitoring can become a very distracting activity (so make rules on channel creation). Similarly, the flexibility of Slack can lead to a wide range of input from folks (GIFs, emoji-reactions, etc.).

Well-designed organizer for remotely working teams

I have started to use Slack with a small team, where we were doing a two-month long translation project. It was very easy to get integrated to the platform, everything was very intuitive. But the real amazement happened, when I started a programming course. There is a way to share your code the way it appears on your regular code editor, and this is what helps Slack to stand out from the similar products.

Pros

I like that there is no possibility to share the messages from private conversations and private groups with people outside of the group. As in the case of other messenger-type software, you can mention your colleagues in the conversation, and they will be notified. You can create as many channels as you wish, name them and also keep them private, so no one else can enter to the channel without permit. Besides all of this a lot of personalization can be done thru status updates, photo, change the appearance, theme and many more. It is also worth mentioning that besides website, there is also app, where you can get notifications, reply to messages and keep working while being far from your desk.

Cons

The main inconvenience or I would say discomfort, I have faced using Slack, is that you cannot see whether your colleague already seen the message or not. Well, this is not crucial, but as the interface gives an impression of a messenger, this would be nice feature to have. Another discomfort was when I tried to enable desktop notifications, but they never showed up. After couple of days I understood, that I have blocked pop-ups from my Chrome, but Slack did not say me a word on that.

Best Software for Small Teams

I love Slack. I wouldn’t change Slack for any other chat app at work. For other situations other software such as WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger work just fine, but nothing beats Slack in the workplace. The customizability, the search options, the file sharing, the starring of messages, the pinning of messages, it all just works so well for the workplace.

Pros

What I like the most about Slack and what differentiates it from other chat apps in my opinion is the customizability. About two years ago my team decided to adopt a chat app just for work, and a colleague suggested Slack. He set it up for us where our Google calendar is connected, our Asana, and our Servicedesk. We have three different channels, one for communication, one for calendar notifications,...

Cons

What I like the least is that in the free version there is a limit with how many messages you can send. So far we’ve been able to continue communicating with each other but I think that old messages get deleted, so if I use the search option to find a file that was shared or a message, and it was too long ago, I will simply have lost it. But I guess I would just have to pay for it. They have to make their money somehow.

Slack is Much More Than Just Messaging

Simply put, Slack solved the issue of under communicating within our business. The software added a new medium that allows employees to solve problems faster and complete tasks sooner by eliminating unnecessary in-person discussions and remain connected even when remote. Working from home continues to become more and more popular and Slack has now become absolutely vital in allowing that to be done. We're able to chat, phone and video call, screen share, file upload and more! We are very pleased with how useful the software has proven to be.

Pros

Slack's list of pros far outweigh the software's cons. Most importantly, Slack is extremely simple to install and learn! Everything about the user-face is intuitive and looks very similar to tradition messaging applications. Certainly, the messaging functionality of Slack is the greatest pro. The software is available for all computer devices and smartphone devices which allows everyone to stay connected...

Cons

One of the greatest cons many employees have identified is the software's nagging "unread" notification. A new/unread message badge will appear on both the smartphone and computer applications for a message that has often times already been read. This occurs when the incoming message is received while the application is already open on a device. For instance, like many of us do, I keep the my application open in one of my dual monitors (meaning it is open at all times) and if I have the chat open to Sally's chat and Sally messages me, I will have a new message notification until I click "Mark as read" within our already visible chat. It's a rather small con but it sometimes creates confusion.

Working from home? Slack is a game changer.

I did not really pay attention to the quality of Slack before being forced to work from home in this highly distributed, asynchronous mode. When you have to cope with working from home (and kids schooling from home), this is a very nice upgrade to emails and other forms of online collaborative tools. It's a one-stop shop where you can also see the notification from Google Doc edits, and even respond from Slack. It saves me a lot of time.

Pros

I've been using Slack for over 5 years now, I liked it. But for the past 3 weeks, with the pandemic outburst, my organization switch to a full work-from-home environment, and Slack has been a game changer for our company. The thing I love with Slack is the integration of your whole work ecosystem within the app: you can attach your G-suite credentials, and Slack will send you reminders for your next...

Cons

The learning curve is a bit steep as many shortcuts and integrations are not necessarily very intuitive to learn. Also, there is a risk of being overwhelmed with a multiplication of Slack channels you can subscribe to, and getting too many notifications that can become a distraction. But that's the flip side of having a central tool for all your online collaborative work.

Helped keep our team across the world be on the same page

We have a large team spanned across the globe and with slack its easy to keep everyone on the same page.

Pros

How easy it was to use. There has been other software that does the same thing and recently Microsoft has been pushing teams. However in my opinion Slack was the first one on the block. We used skype but it seemed "clunky". The group functionality and the ability to integrate with API is awesome. We have it linked both to snow and outlook calendar.

Cons

The only thing I dislike is that you can not see if a user has read your message (somewhat like whatsapp or imessage)

A must for professional communication

The deployment and set up was easy and after about a couple of days, you will get used to it. Slack is our primary application for professional communication with clients and offshore teammates. Having multiple channels for various purposes is a good feature. Sometimes the loading time is high, and even when you search for messages, but this can be overlooked when considering slack as a package.

Pros

Slack is very easy to use with its simple and highly professional UI making things easily available, like the search, using emojis and reactions, etc. Unlike Microsoft Teams, here in Slack you can search for a message using a keyword, and trust me this is a lifesaver. You can have multiple channels set up for a variety of communication purposes. The mobile version is also good and reliable. The app is easy to use but at the same time has very professional UI and all the necessary features.

Cons

Slack is expensive when compared to its competitors. It should have a feature to search for gifs online like MS teams. You may miss out on some important emails as most messages are conveyed on the chat. So you have to be clear about it, emails are still a priority when it comes to professional communication.

Really helpful especially when working remotely

Slack has helped our teams working remotely by allowing us to share, speak, video all with the one app. We do use other apps fro other apps for collaboration, but Slack has proven to be easy to work with, and requires virtually no training. It's simple to use and for projects with a lot of people giving input it works well. Has definitely been a help for us across the company.

Pros

I was never in love with messaging software, but I am starting to like this one a lot given that I am working remotely, and it complements the other communications and sharing tools we have. It's really good for group discussions and sharing documents and info to smaller groups or specific individuals. it's linked with our G Suite and the integration for sharing works really well. That might be it's...

Cons

Not my favorite interface, you do need to hunt around for functions. Also if you open a thread in the sidebar, the UI gets a little crowded and confusing. It's also not a replacement for email. Think of Slack as the more informal collaboration tool, and your email and the more official one. They complement each other. If you have a lot of channels in your organization, it gets to be total information overload if you need to stay on top of them. Depends on your role, but it's easy to get sucked in to too many channels and lose focus on work.

Almost perfect

Marvelous. Easy to use and navigate. Best chat since we switched from Google Hangouts. Does sometime do funny things with the notifications from missed messages, but it is not what I would deem as unpleasant or unsatisfactory.

Pros

It is easy to navigate and customize it.. For example, I was happy that I could disable notifications on my phone in separate channels, while my computer at home did receive them. Also, the dark theme is a big bonus for us night-shifters. Before that opening the application during the night would cause some eye pain.

Cons

The startup. I get that it wants to show missed messages while not online and what not, but taking me back pages and pages and load even more messages while doing so is frustrating. I don`t think it has an option to not do that. Also, on the Windows workstation at home, it does slow down a boot up with at least half of a second. Gladly we use Linux at the job, so it`s not a real issue.

Great for communicating with coworkers and friends!

I actually do not use Slack much in a business environment, but in a personal setting for a book club. We transitioned to primarily using Facebook for communication to Slack, as not all members of the book club are on Facebook. Slack has made communication a lot easier and fully centralized.

Pros

Slack is really easy to setup and provides a great solution for secure communication b/w coworkers and even friends. The interface, while slightly confusing at first, is easy to learn. In addition, it is easy to create different channels - as to have multiple conversations on multiple topics without those conversations overlapping. There are both mobile and desktop clients, and they are cross platform. There is even a web interface so you don't have to install a local client. Finally, you can't argue with the price as it starts with free version that is suitable for many use-cases.

Cons

Slack utilizes various shortcuts and tags to implement features (such as adding a poll to a conversation), but these tags are not obvious and usually need to be looked up.

With great power comes great responsibility

great product with great capabilities but it there is no training on etiquette, its a collaboration wild west shoot out and a lot of people will run and duck for cover. Which means they will revert to old comms tools like email, text or actual face to face communication IRL (Heaven help us!)

Pros

Slack is an easy to use collaboration tool. I can have 1:1 discussions, create channels (public and private), share documents and images. We also leverage the integration capabilities to connect with other applications in our tech stack.

Cons

Slack enables people to digitally barf all over the place. There are those in our org who understand there are certain protocols, etiquette, do's and don't's. There are others who use the @channel or @here for every message and they are spamming numerous channels with their nonsense. And there are others who communicate completely with emojis and gifs. Maybe there are backend settings in Slack today that aren't being used by our site admins, but there really should be some proper training so we dont have to sift through so much noise to find relevant bits of communication.

Slack review for company use

Overall It's a very useful app for little teams and big companies, you can manage your team/s with this app, beside chatting and conversation, it seems like you can visualise your work here with many addons. For example I have integrated github, jira, pivotal and these types of apps and can see notifications coming from this task managment tools in channel, like everything one place, event can call inside channel with hangouts app.

Pros

I like team workspace like design of app, especially the channels for teams, private channels, taggings by team, threads, and bots inside it which are very useful for variety of reasons, helping to increase users productivity and contributing for team to work fast. Another thing seems to me very useful is integrating google calendar with slack which show to my teammates when I am busy or in a meeting or when I am free near my name on app.

Cons

Sometimes it has problems with mobile app push notifications, e.x many times I tried to reply message from push notifications but seems it not sends message showing could not send without notifying me. Another thing I noticed in recent times It has problems with video streaming, I mean when someone uploads video It sometimes streams very slowly .

Communication Among Employees

My overall experience with the software is positive. It solves the problem of large scale communication done with members of a company from a single source. There are a few drawbacks but that could be due to the size of a company and the organization of the user with the software.

Pros

This software allows employers to communicate information to employees on a large scale. An employer can designate certain people as administrators. This gives them the ability to make threads that include certain people for a certain topic that needs to be discussed. Private messages can also be sent but note that the top administrator can still view these private messages between employees (so be cautious of what you're saying). Let's say that a business owner owns multiple businesses and wants to use this software to communicate with different employees. The business owner can set up specific threads for that certain business and still doesn't have to sign out of one account and sign into another.

Cons

One con that could possibly be a pro as well would be that people have to be invited and removed from discussions. This can make the employer selective of who is in certain discussions (threads). The con of this is that it can be easy to forget to remove a person from the discussion. Let's say that the employee doesn't work with the company anymore, they might accidentally be part of specific conversations. Another con would be that discussions have to be physically archived. This can be good for evidence of discussions but it leads to a long list of discussions and private communications. At least there is a search function that helps you find specific discussions but it can be confusing if you forget who was involved in certain discussions.

Beats All Other Business Communication Tools

Overall, as a business owner and marketing agency, it's been a game-changer to use Slack because it really does streamline our workflows and bring everything together. We needed one central communication tool that we could share docs, send quick messages, come up with ideas, have calls, do video conferences, share screens, and collaborate cross-organization. Slack allows all of that.

Pros

The integrations with other software are amazing. I can get instant updates from websites, tools, CRM's, and much more all in slack. It makes the "instant messaging" tool much more valuable. Instead of needing to log into 20 different tools I can just check channels that we have created.

Cons

Nothing really. I came from a Hangouts/Chat world where there are a lot of limitations so to use a tool that doesn't have those are amazing.

Best Communication Tool Ever.

We had a lot of issues with communication using some Google options, we had used "Chat" and Hangouts for work purposes but we don't get at all the product. So we decided to switch all our operations to Slack and we are amazed! We integrate all our DevOps tools to slack and we are very productive, we are using Slack with Gitlab and other tools and we are very happy with this product.

Pros

Best ChatOps tool, Good price, high-quality product, compatible with a lot of tools for integrations, good order, good for agile teams and DevOps culture teams.

Cons

The unique problem that I had using Slack was with the "community edition" because you can lose your messages, but you can solve it buying the paid edition for $8 per user, It is really a good price and the tool is excellent.

great app to collaborate with your team and beyond

I joined the company after working with Office 365 and Skype for Business for many years, I was worried that I would struggle to adjust to a different communication method, but I quickly found the ability to add public and private channels to me immensely useful in my day to day life, I can compartmentalise my projects, social interactions, official communications and even different office locations with ease, I would definitely struggle to go back to the more basic tools such as Skype for Business personally

Pros

with Slack, you can have multiple workspaces within the one app, so I can be working on a project for a client who has their own instance of Slack, get added to their channels for the project, and interact with them in their environment, all the while still being able to remain in my company environment, which lets me separate my comms, but keeps it all in the same app. I also enjoy the fact that I can create my own custom Emojis to use in the chats, it makes for a more personalised experience when I am reacting to a colleague with my own emojis rather than the default smilies.

Cons

I have not seen a guest functionality on Slack, so you have to be a registered user to be able to interact with other users. I have also noticed a few colleagues who have had issues with audio calls not picking up the microphone, certainly on older model Macbooks. But I have never had the issue myself.

Slack for church teams

Overall, it was good. There were just minor irritations that we wanted to see if we could find another product that offered a similar experience but also for free or discounted since we are a church with limited budget.

Pros

ease of use. Liked that you weren't tied to same domain email. Liked that you could have unlimited channels for dialogue. Liked that you could customize many areas like colors, pictures and even emojis. Liked that they had a decent free version. It's a good, solid product.

Cons

The push notifications were inconsistent. At times, messages were posted without any team notifications. The storage limits for channels were limited even with the free version. Was looking for a tasking option built in. The integrations with other apps was a little bit wonky for us. Wished it had a "read" option where we could see which team members had seen or read the message.

The best chat and communication tool for teams

Its great when everyone is in a single location and you can just walk up and ask your questions face-to-face. This isn't the case for most of us anymore as we are working with remote teams and different schedules. Slack has made communication almost as efficient as face to face. You can even reach people on their mobile devices after hours if needed. The ability to connect all of this communication with many of our other products and services just makes it even better.

Pros

The interface is the best we have used and is easy to navigate and understand. Channels make a lot of sense and everyone using Slack seems to understand how they work. Tagging others in a conversation is a great way of calling attention to the specific people who need to see a message. Integrations work well and there are already a lot of them but making custom integrations is also easy.

Cons

I wish there was some better way of organizing tons of channels. This is probably not a big deal in most places and you can hide everything but the channels that you want to see but some better hierarchy like folders or something like this would be great.

Nice messaging platform

Overall slack is a nice messaging platform and really helps the individuals while working in a project of multiple team members. It helps in sharing of text messages and files and also has calling features and major third party integrations which makes it a complete package.

Pros

I found slack a powerful tool to communicate with the other team members in real time. It has better voice quality on call, large size file sharing, one-to-one and group messaging. It also allows to star the messages, which is really helpful to bookmark the important information from the chat. The features such as wrapping the text in code snippet and selecting the file type (for example, html, java, js, etc.) is beneficial for developers. It provides APIs to create custom applications and also has an app directory from where users can install out-of-the-box integrations for Github, google drive and other third parties.

Cons

There are few features which are missing, for example, whenever a user is removed from the workspace, no notification is being sent back to the user. Also, the slackbot could be improved, most of the times, it just provides the search results from the slack help directory. It is not easy to switch workspaces. One has to close the workspace completely and then switch back to the another workspace.

The right tool for the job!

Best thing that happened to our company. Our productivity has increased since and our "reachability" as well. We feel very close now, even for our team which is 100% remote.

Pros

They really put the work into making a chat software that is very usable. intuitive, agile and overall, very enjoyable. We use many of the bots the marketplace has, especially the Google Calendar, Zoom, Giphy and Slackbot integrations that comes with it.

Cons

I cannot think of much of what I dislike about Slack, because I like everything about it. I used to have an issue that Slack didn't load properly, but an update and empty cache button swiftly solved it. Sometimes the calls ring on the phone first before doing it in the computer.

Slack has completely eliminated email from our office, saving us time

Our experience with Slack has been extremely positive. It was very easy for us to onboard our entire staff and they were active and using the software fluently within just a couple off days. Our inter-office email dropped 90% almost overnight and this has saved us a considerable amount of time and made our project work much more efficient. We've been extremely pleased with the ease of adding our clients to single client channels and also to manage our own users. Customer support has been strong as well.

Pros

Slack has allowed our team to almost completely eliminate email from our office culture. Slack can handle all of our in-office communications and also helps immensely with our in-office file sharing. We have also implemented slack with key clients to allow for communication on major projects.

Cons

At times the search function can be a little hard to navigate if you're looking for a single file upload from previous months or years, but that's really the only complaint we would have. The software has been great other than that.

Select your country

10+ YEARS RECOMMENDING SOFTWARE

© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.