All categories

Learn why GetApp is free

Slack Reviews

20,392 reviews

Slack Review

Amazing. We have a team the works remote and using Slack is a lifesaver. As offices modernize, it's hard to just go to someone's desk to ask a question. Leaving a Slack message is much less invasive an easily searchable paper trail in case you need to reference it later.

Pros

Slack is great for teams and personal life communication. The amount of categorizing and partitioning you can do within a workspace is astounding. You can utilize certain project hashtags when speaking about it, then later go in search the hashtag to find all messages about said project. Different channels can be set up for various teams/ clients/ projects and the number of 3rd party integrations are immense. For instance, I can create a task in my TSM "Wrike" instantly from a Slack message making things super easy as messages are flying past.

Cons

There's not much to complain about here. The Chat bot can get a little annoying if you already know what you're doing. Also, if your friends/ family use Slack for a group chat, it can be difficult to separate work/ personal life as all of your spaces are in one place and you can see you have work messages.

Slack: a good business instant message application

My experience with Slack has been really good. Slack helps me a lot on my daily activities and even more when I'm working from a remote location or inspecting something and need to interact with our team at the main office.

Pros

Slack is easy to use and its interface is very similar to other IM applications we have been using for years. That makes the transition from whatever IM software currently in use to Slack quick and smooth. In our company, nobody needed to be trained to use Slack and users went well with the transition process. Slack allows users to customize their names, profile picture, and current status. It's also...

Cons

I don't have too much complaints about Slack. One of them is that as an Administrator, I believe that the management interface is a bit confusing. Sometimes it takes me a while to remember certain basic operations because Slack has its own way of having that done. Also, I had issues with some of my users a couple of times because of bugs with Slack application. The last I remember would freeze half of the user's screen so nothing shown in that area was clickable of selectable. Closing and reopening Slack would temporarily solve the problem. I contacted Slack support and they confirmed that as a known issue and that would be fixed soon with a software update.

Ended internal email overload in one day!

Making progress on internal discussions can start in seconds with a Slack group chat. It is hard to imagine a way of managing teams in different countries any other way. Slack removed a reliance on internal emails which often fell short where key people weren't copied in or involved in the discussion. In a similar way, it avoids the CC happy emails where some team members may not need to be included...

Pros

The options of private/direct group conversations and public and private channels make the various types of cross-team communication most companies need so simple that it's hard to remember how we got anywhere when relying on email. As a personal favourite feature, the option to upload custom emojis makes messaging easier, not just for fun but in the cases where logos/symbols can be easily understood by everyone, it makes quick shorthand.

Cons

Someone who reccomended this product did warn to be careful that it may take over our lives, and they weren't wrong! Through no fault of Slack , the ease of adding channels, setting up groups etc does admittedly add to the noise that can sometimes be a distraction. The Slack call quality can sometimes be unreliable and audio quality isn't amazing.

Easy to use, difficult to customize

Overall, we are very happy with this app. Considering you don't need to pay anything for it it's a great tool if you are coordinating a creative team and want to keep track of all the creative new ideas and comments from every member of the team. I wished it could be customized so it could be more visually appealing and notifications would be a bit more specific (at the moment you only know if someone has posted anything new by seeing a red dot over the Slack icon) but in general it's and excellent app to grant good communication between employees.

Pros

We really like how easy it is for everyone to use. It really helps to keep all ideas and feedback from clients together in one chat group. It's also great that you can have as many chat groups as you want , we don't only use it for work projects, we also have chats with inspiration boards or references. It's also great to have a place where you can keep all the media assets saved together in one conversation. You can save images, audio and video all together which is really useful when a project is quickly being developed. An other great feature is that you can link it to other apps and get notifications through it. We have it linked to Google Calendar so we can get updates on events and meetings.

Cons

Notifications are not very specific, at least when using from a computer. Setting up a new workspace can be a bit confusing as it requires you to log in again as if you were creating a new account. Luckily Slack's support team are always willing to help. You can't use capital letters (or spaces) when naming a new chat. I'm not sure why this is but I wish it changed. When you pin a comment on a chat group that comment doesn't really stay on the top or the chat or somewhere where you can always see it. This would be very helpful as at the moment that option only helps you to highlight the comment.

A great company communication platfrom

Our business has used Slack to increase our interdepartmental communication as well as communication with external companies. It really is a more convenient method of communication than email threads. We have channels with questions for different departments that can be searched prior to submitting a new question (saving time by reducing repeat questions). We have also had great experience in using different channels for different levels of support. The "Emergencies" channel has someone monitoring it at all times and this can make a large difference in being able to track and support team members who are working outside of regular business hours.

Pros

I love the ease of writing and tracking communication with others in the company. Multiple channels and integrations mean that each employee can customize the messages that they want to receive. The integrations also mean that different departments can use Slack to communicate, but then still keep their internal tracking and project management tools. The search function also means that I can know I've had a Slack conversation even months ago with specific information in it and I can at any time pull that info back up. The efficiency with searching and saving info means I can also use Slack to store answers to questions for later retrieval.

Cons

There is a bit of a "setup" curve for brand new employees while they determine which channels they need to be involved in and which to follow and those they can disregard. The very features that make Slack so helpful for experienced users can be intimidating at first.

Robust and Efficient Communication on All Team Levels

Slack has been an entertaining way to keep my teams moving and communicating so much more than we would through email or text. The platform makes it easy to record and share ideas as they happen, and collaborate on the good ones to bring helpful and interesting ideas to fruition. We experience much less distraction as we all want to cover multiple topics, sometimes all at once. We are not limited to...

Pros

What I am most enthusiastic about in my use of this software, is how neatly organized every topic of discussion can be. Within an organization, there can be a LOT of topics, and one simple chatroom (text messages, other chat platforms) will absolutely not cut it. With Slack, each team can have their own space, each project can have its own space, and there can even be direct messages between team members....

Cons

This particularly applies to individuals who are using Slack for multiple organizations; the mobile app can be VERY confusing when you're not 100% familiar with Slack. Slack is already a bit of a learning curve, due to its robust functionality; that in itself is not a flaw, as I see it. It is efficiently designed. It's just a lot to take in day 1 and may not be intuitive to everyone, and the mobile app compounds the confusion! I will note that the app has MUCH improved since I jumped in two or three years ago. But even now, I find myself having to pause and double-check I'm navigating channels correctly. The desktop version is much more understandable!

Slack the best team communication software ever

We use slack in our office as the main communication app. We can connect with our overseas clients through slack so easily. As we can share rich media, we have everything in a single thread. And we have the ability to reply to the each message in the thread. Also we can delete unwanted messages. The best thing is we have set reminders for important tasks. So the overall experience is really nice and I am thankful to the slack developers.

Pros

We can create channels for separate projects and same time me can send direct messages for each other company members. We can share texts, images,videos, audios, gif files and any rich media with others We can set reminders for our work and slack bit is going to remind us our work We can integrate other software like Skype, Hangouts,Gmail and many applications to slack, so that we can receive all the notifications through slack. We have search options, so that we can search for previous texts we sent someone or in a certain channel. Also there is an option to switch the do not disturb mode on. In that time we are not getting notifications. We can easily use the web, desktop and mobile application so we can access chat via any device. Considering all the matters I love this app.

Cons

I experienced some issues while getting voice calls. Also it saves a limited number of lines in each chat thread. So we can not reference our earliest messages in threads. These are the only issues I have experienced. But these are not that strong reasons to not to use this app.

Robust product that fosters effective communication and collaboration!

Our organization deployed Slack alongside a legacy client. The initial plan was to run both in parallel indefinitely, mostly because change is hard and there would be complaints. But Slack was so quickly adopted by a broad user base, the legacy client was officially retired after just a few months. Slack has been incredibly effective at fostering group communication and bringing our organization...

Pros

- Flexible notifications allow users to control frequency and delivery methods for messages - Default options or custom emojis can be used for current availability status - Availability status can be set to automatically clear after a specific period of time - Messages can still be sent to users even when they are offline/unavailable - Key contacts can be "starred" and maintained in a sidebar list...

Cons

- Dark theme (mode) does not apply to the sidebar, only the main chat/message window - On the desktop app, your own account ("you") appears at the top of the Starred list (preferred) but on the mobile app "you" is sorted among all other Starred users - Occasional but very infrequent outages or availability issues

Communication made easy

Slack is a very good tool with many add-ons that can help your business with communication, reminders, etc. The library of add-ons is growing. The only thing is that I wish the search was a little bit better, you often find irrelevant hits and it is a bit hard to exclude channels or people in your search.

Pros

How easy it is to use. It is easy to chat with other members in the organization, it is easy to start small chat groups, for more permanent groups you can start channels, both public and private. It has both voice calls and video calls that are fast and smooth with great quality.

Cons

It is a bit harder to cooperate with other companies, where skype is available for anyone and you can easily add any contact, in slack you need an administrator to add a quest to the workspace. a good thing is that for each paid license you have in the company you can invite 5 guests that have access to a single channel(single-channel guest). a small con is that you need to pay a license for any guest that need access to more than one channel(multi-channel guest) The search function could offer a few more options

Google Hangouts Replacement, Saved us from Teams

I actually enjoy Slack. It is fun to use, and I like much more than sending an email.

Pros

Slack really allows us to communicate effectively based on group or subject. We can communicate directly in the General chat, directly, or in any number of specialized group channels. Each team has their own channel, and if needed, that channel can be locked to prevent other teams from entering. Most are open channels that allow for any of our teams to come in and converse on the subject titled....

Cons

Can be confusing to use if you are not used to chat systems such as Hangouts or WhatsApp though. The idea of a separate room, or Group chat, confuses some, but once they see how things work, it is a non-issue.

free instant messaging for small businesses

a great free/paid, GDPR compliant option for company instant messaging

Pros

Slack offers free versions of it's software which were suitable for our business and therefore saved us money versus competitor instant messaging products. Slack is also GDPR complaint so ticked our boxes in terms of what we needed. The interface is also simple to use and intuitive, as well as not being too cluttered. It offers both group chats, company wide groups and personal chats. Slack also has great integration possibilities with other apps such as dropbox, or client relationship managers, which is useful for sharing information. it also allows you to create polls and share gifs etc, and has clear pop up notifications and email updates.

Cons

-limited naming allowances for channels (e.g. no spaces end no capital letters) which can make it hard to think of obvious names for some groups -the gif insertion is a strange system, (have to type /giphy [text] and then it will give you one suggestion of a gif and you have to shuffle if you want a different picture, rather than being able to choose) -the way of responding to a certain message and creating a new chain can be complex to some in the team

Good tool for connecting remote employees

Overall, we use this tool as a team all day long and it works well for what we need. On occasion it "glitches," but that is rare.

Pros

Slack is easy to use, it is easy to chat in a group, set up special channels and have private chats. It does have a calling feature, with share-screen ability. I especially like that you can mute or change the sound features of each channel or group, and that you can pause all notifications for a period of time. It's easy to see when team members are on and available to talk, which is important as we have an all remote team. Service is great with a Slack help feature that allows you to ask questions and get immediate help from Slackbot. Polly is a great tool for polling, very easy to use.

Cons

Slack can be glitchy at times, rarely, but it is irritating. It will show as if I am not on when I am. Other times I will miss comments because it just didn't notify me. This is not just me, but the entire team will have these issues on occasion. Again, it's rare, and a simple log out and back in are all that's needed to get it working again. The calling feature is great in many ways, but there are times when the quality is not the greatest and we get disconnected. Again, rare; and it might not even be a Slack issue - maybe internet glitches?

Slack is our go-to quick communication tool for our remote team

Before using Slack, we had to wait for people to answer emails or use text messages or chat apps. None of it was organized into a company-wide system where you can have multiple conversations with different people. Slack is the perfect solution for quick communication that doesn't need to be saved forever.

Pros

Slack is very simple to set up and use and allows us to quickly message our team members who all work remotely. It's a great tool for sharing links, getting answers to simple questions, and also sharing fun things in the Random and General Channels. We've got a few different Channels we use with our 21 users who are a combination of employees and contractors. We also use Google Drive, so that is integrated into Slack.

Cons

We've got the free plan, so we have messages that are now archived that we can't access. Considering it's free, it's not much of a con.

The BEST tool for interoffice communication and filesharing

Slack has improved my team communication and collaboration exponentially. I can't say enough good things about the developers and the incredible tool they have built. Every time I interact with the interface I am amazed at the ease of use. Slack has also never crashed on me - not once.

Pros

Slack is so robust. You can send files, GIFS, video, have team video calls and create channels for your team to chat together. When sharing links, there is an option to display rich content previews, and you can even make your own emojis. The customization is endless. It is incredibly powerful even as a free version. Once I unlocked the paid version, having access to all of my archived files just took it to the next level. I highly recommend Slack for any size team and have used it for about 4 years.

Cons

I have no complaints about Slack. I believe their pay-gate in the free version restricting access to files past a certain time period is completely fair, and the support and interface they offer is unlike any other. Being able to search back in chats for exactly the file or conversation someone referenced without having to bother them again for the details.

A good product with potential

Overall, my experience has been positive. As mentioned, there are many aspects that are very easy to use. Slack works well for our management team who is always active on it and focused on certain projects. However, for our general customer service team, it is less effective.

Pros

I like how easy the software is to use. It's very intuitive for anyone who has used a messaging app before. Another feature that is valuable for us is the ability to add employees to only certain channels. We have a diverse team that doesn't need to be involved in every conversation.

Cons

I wish that some of the pro level features were available for the free version. It is cost prohibitive for us to pay for the pro version. For example, we often run into an issue when trying to search for things that are far back in a channel. Slack only allows us to go back so far. Therefore, we lose important communication. Also, the nature of the Slack channels allows things to get easily lost. As team members, comment and change the subject important pieces of information get buried before everyone sees it.

Slack is the best for fast conversation with the perfect sound quality.

The audio and video calls quality is always perfect and awesome. It always provide the great options to share screen and important information, data and documents in a instant manner. Overall, Slack is the most intuitive and perfect for business meeting. Hence, this software provide the best video calling with the perfect sound quality. The another thing that I most like about this software is that we can easily chat with the audio and video calls in a more efficient way. This software is the best source of communication because here are chatting opportunity is always free and reliable. Through the Slack software, it is so easy to connect myself to anyone and at anytime in the world.

Pros

Slack software is very easy to use and cloud sharing is too amazing of this software. Slack software is great for the audio and the video calls. The most favorite thing about this software is that it has the superb features with the great ability. I can also share the important information with anyone in a more efficient way. The another benefit thing about this software that provide us is that it...

Cons

The great disadvantage of this software is that sometimes with any internet connection, it makes our communication so difficult and harder. Moreover, there are some features that are missing in the Slack software. So it should must enhanced the quality of its features. The another problem that we faced is that sometimes we cannot fast conversation in a group video chat, because of some internet problems. For the new users, it is so difficult of us to use it more properly. Otherwise, it provide the great conversation for the audio and the video calls.

The Business Communication Tool of it's Time

Honestly, this software just doesn't have competition at it's level and they have a stranglehold on this market, as they deserve. Between Spark, Skype, and Hangouts, they're really the Nickelodeon to Disney. Although they'll stick around, with the ability for them to add so many integration possibilities by not only their own development but other companies wanting to allow their own software's workflow to somehow run through Slacks platform. It's just a simple platform with so many functionalities and possibilities.

Pros

Availability. Simplicity. Instant transferability between devices. Customizability (yes, it's a word). One of my favorite pieces though is the ability to integrate so many other applications into and out of it. Get to that more in a moment...

Cons

This is petty but one of the largest issues I run into is when in the office and have Slack running on both my iPhone and my MacBook, sometimes I miss important, timely messages due to device priority. If the laptop screen is still open and I'm only a room or two over in another meeting, my phone will not receive the messages from the laptop until my screen times out and the rests.

Our Go-To Communication Channel

Great communication tool for teams and businesses—saves time and makes collaboration more efficient.

Pros

I switched from using Skype at my last company to using Slack, and boy was it an upgrade. First and foremost, Slack is incredibly easy to learn and get used to. Once you're in there, it's easy to pick up on the nuances and other little hacks to make using the tool easier and more fun. I love the SlackBot, which can help set reminders and integrates with other tools (ex: Google Drive) to send updates...

Cons

As with most products with a paid solution, the free version does have a few limitations. With the free version, you can only see the last 10,000 messages—which sounds like a lot, but it can be a pain when searching for something mentioned in the past that's no longer available. And, not that this is necessarily a con, but it's important to be mindful of the information you share on Slack (or any other communication platform!). Admins can see everything that is shared and conversations can be requested for review.

Slack is an easy communications package for everyone

An excellent tool that has helped numerous businesses I have installed and suggested it for. Most slip straight into using it and find very little barrier to entry; in short order the app has become default communications platform for the organizations I've set it up in. I've seen the opposite in other organizations I've worked in or for - other platforms did not experience the pickup at all. Slack is very usable and intuitive in its interface. Well recommended as a communications platform for organizations.

Pros

Slack is very easy to pick up and use. Most people are used to some form of online chat or comms and Slack is familiar in short order and easy to work your way around. Most of the functions you expect are there - able to upload files, etc. and the integration with Google Drive is an added convenience if you use Google Suite. Notifications are easy to manage which is important when you have a large group using the app as they can come thick and fast and being able to turn them off, especially if you have it installed on mobile, is very necessary.

Cons

The interface is fairly vanilla and unassuming. It could do with an overhaul and some options for adjustment. When you have the mobile app, if you have a large group of people using it the notifications can become very disruptive. Fortunately, the options to switch on Do Not Disturb or to log yourself Away between certain hours are very helpful.

Slack's As Good As The Team That Uses It

Slack's an incredibly important part of our organization's tools now. At first there was resistance from some in leadership: would it be distracting, would it be yet one more thing that confuses people about where information is and how to find what you're looking for? But we set some ground rules and best practices early on and had a small team try it out for a few months before making it available company wide. Establishing the expectations around slack and making sure that everyone understands that it's not a tool that people should be expected to be on all the time is critical.

Pros

Slack has been great for our company. Yes, it does cut down on the number of emails our team sends, and it has enabled us to work with our remote colleagues more efficiently. The desktop apps and mobile apps are well designed and the improvement to UX that comes with most updates is often welcome (e.g., recent addition of the Drafts feature).

Cons

The things I like least about Slack are not issues to do with Slack but instead to do with implementation, rules, culture, etc., etc. Like anything that's good and revolutionary, the implementation of Slack requires an understanding that with benefits come downsides. Be wary that humans using this software will remain humans and their idiosyncrasies and personalities will not be masked by the communication tool.

Slack: Communicate with Flair

Overall, the platform has been the best out of several team communication applications. This had a much easier sense of user navigability and user experience with its sleek, modern look. It also had the capability of customizing your profile to an extent, with being able to add pictures, a bio, as well as static and dynamic emojis. It also had a unique gif feature that allowed for the posting of gifs but being able to randomize them. So essentially, typing in a random word would net several options of gifs, some of them quite unexpected and hilarious. This provided a good amount of entertainment for the younger crowds in the office.

Pros

The app and website had a very modern feel to it and relatively easy to navigate across. There was a section that provided what slack calls channels that usually was filled with members of certain teams or company-wide channels where messaging would go out to all these larger groups. Below that, there was a section that was dedicated toward smaller group messaging between coworkers or between individuals. The program would also keep your most highly used personal channels between groups and individuals pinned for easy access and these channels would contain the entire history of the conversations so it was very easy to find a particular message from someone if you were looking for specific information.

Cons

The notifications would be intrusive at times, so if you didn't turn off your notifications there would be large messages coming across your screen with a resounding ding that would announce the message. It would also preview a bit of the message being sent, so if you were having a particularly private conversation, there was the possibility of that popping up across your screen for others to see. It would be easy to forget to turn this feature if you weren't constantly running into meetings, but it seemed like this was an issue in terms of keeping things private.

Awesome for team collaboration

Pros

Slack is the a wonderful platform for team communication and collaboration. It is very easy to organize by having different channels for chats about different topics, and then even different threads within chats. The learning curve is small for the basics, and then there are a lot of extra features you can add to customize your experience. For instance, Slackbot can be very helpful since you can program...

Cons

The free version will only show you the last 10,000 messages. I'm fine with having limits on how many MBs of storage per which plan you are on, but you should still have access to all of your content regardless of whether you opt for free or paid. A lot of people (including me) use Slack for non-business related team communication, and we don't have a budget for the high price Slack asks for it's paid plans. There needs to be either a low-cost-per-user version with just a few more features like unlimited messages, or just add unlimited messages to the free version.

Functional Office Communication

There is still so much to learn with this program, as we have only been using it for less than six months. But so far, we love it! It's fun, creative, a time saver, and very well liked here in the office.

Pros

This software allows you to instant message across the office in a simple, easy to use program. It allows you to create as many "channels" or groups as you need, as well as chat to individuals directly. We use this form of communication to ensure our messages are documented and our team is help responsible for the communication received. The feature my team enjoy the most is the ability to branch...

Cons

The only suggestion I would recommend is to incorporate an auto response or notification that a message has been read. This would aid in the accountability and to ensure a message didn't get lost in the chat.

Excellent Team Communication Program

Being in Marketing, my team and I have to send many large design files on a daily basis. During a review process of one project, we may send up to 20 files back and forth. We found that sending via email was clogging up our limited email space very quickly and it also became difficult to go through an email thread to make sure you have all the notes from different team members. So, we began searching...

Pros

Hands down, the best feature about Slack is its file-sharing capabilities. It has made our jobs easier as a Marketing team to have this in a communication platform, especially since we need to send many files on a day-to-day basis. With many of us working from home or out of the office, having a centralized communication platform where we can communicate on projects, while file-sharing, is essential. It has kept us all out of "email jail" and has streamlined our review processes and turnaround times for meeting crucial deadlines.

Cons

There is very little I dislike about Slack, but I would say that the "Threads" communication portion of Slack could be developed a bit better. With this feature, someone can reply directly to a specific comment rather than in the full channel. The only issue with this is that the thread pops up on the right side of the screen, rather than directly below the original comment. Sometimes, this can be confusing and the notifications for Threads can sometimes be overlooked. If Slack were able to open the Thread directly under the original comment/post, that would make communication and notifications less confusing.

The absolute best team communication software.

I have absolutely enjoyed Slack in the time that I have used the service. I think that t

Pros

My experience with Slack has been absolutely magnificent. Slack has amazing features and here are some of my favorite ones: History: A new member is added to a Slack channel, instantly has access to the entire conversation history right from when the channel was created, including shared files and all. This makes bringing a new team member onboard a project that much more seamless as s/he can easily...

Cons

Price: As an employee, I don't bother about the pricing but I can tell that it might be a hindrance for smaller start-ups Well, there's a limited-use free version but the app isn't free at scale. Group DMs: Slack allows you to create multi-way chats (group DMs) that accommodate 3 to 8 members. However, once created, you cannot add another member to an existing group DM. Privacy: Privacy is very limited on Slack. Admins with enough clearance can pretty much gain access o everything, including your direct messages with another user. Keep personal conversations off Slack.

Select your country

10+ YEARS RECOMMENDING SOFTWARE

© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.