All categories

Learn why GetApp is free

Slack Reviews

20,392 reviews

The unbeaten king of communication tools.

I doubt I could ever use something that isn't Slack, probably due to the fact there is just nothing that even comes close to its balance of features and fun. Which is kind of sad as its clear Slack stopped innovating as soon as it noticed it pretty much had a monopoly on workplace communications.

Pros

Slack biggest achievement and PRO is making workplace chat fun, be it by fun emojis, gifs or reaction emojis to messages, or its sheer amount of customization options. Add to this the insane amount of project customization thanks to 3rd party integrations, and its clear why it's as of now still unbeaten. Also, the fact it has plenty of developer centric features such as syntax highlighting and impressive platform compatibility across OS just makes it even harder to compete against.

Cons

Slack's biggest problems are 2, performance, and price. Even on relatively powerful hardware, Slack is prone to having performance issues, probably due to the fact its built with web technologies which are great for compatibility reasons, not so much for performance. Also, their pricing model makes it pretty much impossible for small companies and groups to buy due to how expensive it is.

A great team communication tool

Slack is honestly the best tool for team collaboration. You can communicate via voice or text with your coworker or friends from the browser, desktop or phone and it's reliable a lot. The messages are there and so are the files shared. Also same with the chat rooms.

Pros

I like Slack. I have been using it for aprox 4 years now. It's simple and it get's the job done. You can add extensions like JIRA, Google Drive, DropBox and so on. Basically slack you can have different rooms for different teams (you can manage the members per room or invite) and you can also have private chat conversations with other people. It's basically a chat server for your company or organization. The mobile app is awesome, the desktop app is fine and you can also use Slack on the browser. The free tier is good if you have a small team, now if you message a lot there's like a 10,000 message limit for the history so if you want to get the best deal, you'll need to pay. Same for the file sharing, there's a limit but it works super good.

Cons

Honestly Slack is great, but with the time, it's become stagnant. A lot of other platforms are providing features that are more robust and free. For instance, Discord, even if it is for gaming, it does everything Slack does and better. Even the desktop sharing is better. I wish Slack just kind of moved out of the stagnant position they are right now and innovate a bit more or refresh their app, but hopefully they don't break it, because it works fine as well.

Essential for Running any Tech Business in 2019

Overall, Slack has been able to bring our teams together on both large scale and smaller scale business services where there are no longer dependencies in communication because all the important information is either sent as a message on each channel or sent as a reference link on each channel.

Pros

I currently run two separate companies, a tech repair company and a digital marketing firm, both of which rely heavily on large-scale business services. Slack allows both companies to efficiently manage each project with the channel functionality, where each of our projects is placed into a separate channel where we discuss important updates, share important documents and Tag important notes. All of this is made incredibly simple with slacks dead simple user interface and it's most certainly safe to say that our companies would face difficult times without this software.

Cons

There is one small annoyance that I have had with the software ever since our companies began using it years ago: the naming scheme for each slack channel. Each channel requires you to have lowercase letters with no spaces allowed and instead only allows underscores. This obviously in not an important issue, but it has definitely annoyed me in the past when I had to retype some of my channel names.

This is the new way to communicate online

I use Slack for daily communication business and to stay connected to coworkers and suppliers distributed among different locations. We have implemented Slack as a missing link that smoothly makes working with people on the other side of the country as if they would be sitting in an office just down the hallway.

Pros

Slack is simple, it is easy to use it has a lightweight user experience thus, at the same time is very powerful. In day to day routines it is just a great way of communicating (chatting) with coworkers. Perfect, reliable, fast asynchronous communication. Then someone tells you something you need to remember next week- use integrated reminders, that send you a message when you need it. Or you want...

Cons

Some of the features seem - behind the scenes - not optimized allready. Sharing data from my mobile device require it for example, to be uploaded first and then downloaded to the recipient. It works, but it takes more time and, I don't care when it is on the server I only care for it to reach the intended recipient(s). Synchronize it to the server whenever its suitable. Connection and reconnection gets tangled up sometimes, with Slack insisting that there is no connection available although all other applications have reconnected already. This however is complaining on a very high level, as these issues are really minor compared to almost all other platforms for online communication I have used.

Slack changes the model for business communication

Great communication tool and indispensable in the modern world of business.

Pros

It's IRC for business communication with a (much) nicer interface. Slack organizes discussions into channels and IM. It's easy to reach out to anyone in the company and have a discussion. Even better is the ability to bring in external users (customers) who can then quickly converse with support and engineering teams. For any new open source project, Slack is the preferred way to communicate with other...

Cons

The desktop and mobile apps are my preferred way to use Slack and occasionally the performance tends to drag. Once in a while the Slack mobile app will unexpectedly terminate, although in recent updates it does that less frequently. I also don't like the fact that private conversations aren't really private as companies have the ability to request Slack for those records. I get it for compliance reasons, but be warned that private conversations are never private! The search UI workflow isn't the most intuitive, they should just op for some universal search versus organizing the search results by type.

Slack Public Channels improves company communication across teams.

It's a great tool, these are the key points for me: * Improve team collaboration, shared information in a single place and all team has access to the same information. * Reach people, sometimes you need to collaborate to make things happen, and slack does a great job at that. * Integrate to CI/CD pipelines, we received notification about or system all time. It's better than having thousands of emails.

Pros

Public channels: They are easy to create/configure and allow members of the company to share important information in a single place. This is really helpful for software development teams when important information is shared with other application it gets lost and there is no record of it. With the slack channel, the information is stored and can be used as references. (Developers don't have or we...

Cons

Conversion history: Sometimes the conversion history is deleted after N amount of dates. Probably this is a configuration in my company, but I would like to store more information. Re-Login: Once in a while, you have to re-login, but what I don't like is that it logs you out without giving you a warning. It had happend before that the application logs me out, and I notice that one hour later.

Slack is the BEST way to communicate asynchronously

Overall, my experience with Slack has been extremely positive. It's helped my teams communicate updates faster, work more efficiently, and has increased cross-functional projects within the company. Additionally, it's a one-stop-shop for updates, conversation, and file sharing – three things essential for any high-performing team.

Pros

I work remotely for a large company, and Slack is key to making that possible. Email would just be too slow, and other chat programs don't have the functionality or breadth that Slack does. The structure built within Slack helps keep messages and ideas organized and the search feature is extremely intuitive, making it easy to search for past messages/ideas. Slack also has functionality that helps...

Cons

Given that Slack is so easy to adopt and can quickly become invaluable to employees, I do find it strange that it's settings are hard to find in order to create the work/life balance most employees crave. It also doesn't have an option to download conversations to create a hard-copy record (for meeting minutes, etc.).

The disclosure for labor communications that all work needs.

Work communication has always presented problems, the excuses range from an email that did not arrive on time, to a document with compatibility problems. Since I implemented Slack within my workspace, and in the company where I work, I have managed to fulfill the assignments that I request in record time, which has improved reception to my work within the company and in the perception of each client that asks me for a design for any advertising campaign. For any entrepreneur, Slack is a fundamental ally, because they offer you different plans that match your economic abilities, thus saving time and money in an amazing tool that has saved me a lot of headaches and allowed me to have a more fluid communication with all my work team.

Pros

One of the things that I liked most to fulfill my assistance and attention to the work teams, is the mobility that Slack offers me, I have all the power of an effective, simple and friendly platform so that my work is better. The other aspect that I liked the most, is that it is an immediate communication channel that gives me the freedom to work from anywhere, a few weeks ago I traveled out of the...

Cons

I have thoroughly reviewed all aspects of this great platform, and until now I have not found any negative aspects to highlight, I can safely say that in these years using its services, I have only seen improvements so I know that in the future it will be better every time.

Entreflow Consulting Group's use of Slack

One indicator of its awesomeness is that it was down earlier this week, and everybody was freaking out, so especially on our team, we were confused about what to do, do we send fax messages to each other? Do we find our pagers again? So it's definitely made an impact in our business if it goes down.

Pros

Our favourite feature for slack is that it makes it super easy for teams to collaborate and communicate very easily. There are ways to connect with just single individual users, groups of users, or even have channels to communicate with people about different projects or topics of interest, super cool. It makes it really easy to communicate between members or within channels, so groups of people,...

Cons

Although you can jump between workspaces really easily, it's a little bit cumbersome actually making that transition. So, I'd like to see it organized a little bit more like Asana where you've got a dropdown and you switch over rather than having to navigate over to the side and then select it, there's a little bit of a time lag.

Slack Must Be the Most Useful Communication Tool of the Modern Era!

Slack has allowed me to improve work relationships and provided a bridge to access different organizations in the same place, from freelance to more traditional enterprises. It has also been extremely helpful to communicate with fellow students at one university, as this is the chosen tool for all generic communications. Because it makes it easy to share code, images and videos either directly on the...

Pros

I really enjoy how flexible Slack allows you to be by creating any number of channels you may need to break down conversations per topic. Beyond having the ability to create and join channels based on your needs, the feature to star items is particularly helpful when you are on the go and want to come back to a specific point in time quickly. It is easily accessible with just one click (or tap on mobile)...

Cons

On the down side, I have found it somewhat confusing to get to set up Slack within other services through their API, for instance to connect Slack on GitHub. Although the reply area is feature-rich, some functions like text formatting could be more intuitive. For example, you don't get to see live if your text will be bold or italic. Slackbot is useful to ask simple questions, but many times it will...

An efficient and reliable inter-office communication tool!

Slack has been instrumental in connecting everybody in our organization. I'm not just saying that. Various departments within our company have become competitive and often complete projects way before deadlines. That's because we've applied and integrated Slack into our organization in such a way that we use internal performance appraisals, awards, etc to achieve this. Also, we are a SaaS company that believes in a positive work atmosphere and Slack helps us achieve just that.

Pros

1) User Interface: Slack is quite user-friendly but requires a little bit of an initial learning curve in order to get that hang of things (considering it's a bit different from your average personal communication tools). In no time, you'll be able to locate new channels, switch between them and message individuals directly. 2) Making Work Fun: As its name suggests, "Slack" allows users to ease professional...

Cons

1) File Preview: It would be nice if you can preview a document without having to download it first.

Great for virtual team collaboration

Since I use it everyday, I would say this is has become an invaluable tool for me and collaborating with colleagues (w/the exception of not being able to see msg history beyond 10k). I would recommend this to anyone who works virtually OR if you're like me and drown in emails. It doesn't matter if you are in a tech field or not: if you can text an use social media, you can juse Slack. bottom line, it's a WIDELY used tool with a growing number of other app integrations that the paid version allows you to seamlessly tie your [communication] workflow together. I resisted for a while but now I can't imagine not having it.

Pros

- Slack allows me to commimicate in real time without using email with clients and colleagues all over the country & the world. The free version doens't have as many features as paid, but still robust enough to work for a small 1-man shop - Channels (topics/groups) allow for communication on a topic w/only relevent members (by invitation). preventing tons of emails to track = it's all in one place,...

Cons

Based on my experience using the free version, I find some of the features to be less intuitive = I can't be sure if I can integrate something for a smaller fee or if it's only available in a paid plan. Since many chats tend to grow over time, the free version limits you to 10k messages; you'd be surprised how fast that gets used up. If you try to search for something once you exceed 10k msgs, you may not have access to it. (I get it, it's the free version but it's like texting for business. 10k is small in grand scheme of things so you have to remember to save things you really think you'll need or you'll lose them.

Slack is the beginning of something great

I have used Slack everyday for almost 5 years now. I can't tell you what it is that makes it more than an instant messenger, but whatever it is, Slack is a miracle. You won't understand until you try it out for yourself.

Pros

History books will (or should) write about about Slack. There was the time before language, then we went to the time of the pony express, then we invented fax, then email, now we have Slack. Slack is amazing. Collaborating with different people and teams is instant. Slack is more than an instant messenger though. It's a replacement to meetings. It's a replacement to memos. It's a replacement to...

Cons

Slack can be very distracting, especially for managers. You will constantly have a little red icon next to your Slack icon. No worries though, just set away times in your settings. Slack can also be hard to monitor if you are an HR manager. Especially if you are at a bigger company. Inappropriate jokes can be hard to track down. Lastly, Slack is only valuable if everyone adopts it. This can be hard if you work with a bunch of stubborn people.

The best solution if you don't want to bother choosing

For me, Slack is the best option available for team chats. It has some flaws, but no solution can replace it really. If you want your company conversations to be organized, and also to be fast and mobile, there is no better choice for me.

Pros

Slack is the best team chat software I ever seen. It works great on any platform, it looks cool and convenient, and you definitely should try it in your team or company if you never done this before. Team discussions are organized in channels, while direct messages is also available. In our company we also heavily use other messages organization feature: threads, which is like having channels in channels....

Cons

Slack is based on web technologies, which is great for portability, but on the other side Slack really not as responsive as I want. It still works fast enough for generic user, but I can clearly say it is not native application. Any chat app can't live without files sharing. And while file sharing is available, I can't even say it is OK. While viewing images and photos works pretty normally most times,...

Slack it to me

Our organization was still using Skype in an archaic way for instant message communication and file transfers. Slack was the professional upgrade we needed that took the best of those features, enhanced, and organized them in one place. There were doubters at first, but the critics have come to see the value and we can't imagine doing our work without it now. "Slack it to me" is a phrase you'll hear in my office every single day.

Pros

"Slack it to me" is now one of the commonly heard phrases around our office. Though there was a time I wondered if I would be able to get this platform off the ground and embedded in our workplace culture. Since I first saw it in action at a hackathon the value seemed obvious. Not only does it facilitate communication, but it's become a place where we encourage each other, compete with each other,...

Cons

Slack has proven indispensable as an instant messaging platform, but it can quickly grow out of control as more channels and private channels are created. Some on the team feel overwhelmed by how much information is available to them and struggle to keep on top of their unread threads and notifications. When implementing for your workplace, you may want to think about training to help people feel less overwhelmed and whether there's any kind of standard structure you want to enforce. For example, Some Slack workspaces I am a part of have extremely limited channels and keep everything centralized. Another thing you might find you don't like is the limited message history available on the free version. If you're committed to it, you really need to pay for the upgrade.

Slack is great tool for communication within company and conferences!

We are an international company with US head quarters and multiple international locations. It is our corporate policy to use Slack for all corporate communications and as preferred tool for conferences within and outside of the company. So far, experience was extremely positive!

Pros

We have recently implemented Slack for all corporate communication. I absolutely love the tool! Once somebody types a message, you get email notification and can open messages right away. You can form project groups and do all communication, conferences for relevant group members. I think this is especially valuable for global corporations with multiple international locations like my company. Our...

Cons

I really like Slack. I was a little bit surprised that it is not as widely know like for example, Skype or other communication/conference tool. This is great tool and my advise to Slack team is to increase its publicity. With all this great functionality, Slack can be used for a lot of companies and spread widely!

Slack is Amazing!

Overall, slack is incredible and I can't imagine running my business without it. It's forever changed how the workforce communicates and will only get more integrated into our every day lives as it develops.

Pros

I'm not gonna lie, when my CTO first suggested we start using slack, I was not impressed and actually kind of annoyed. I didn't like how it had constant messages and felt it would be disruptive. But after just a few days, it really took off and everyone loves it. For one thing, it's a great alternative to having people use emails. Secondly, if you organize your channels properly, it can streamline...

Cons

Sometimes slack can be a bit disruptive as it's always on. So for example if you need some private time, you can't always focus because your always getting messages. The simple solution to that is by going on snooze. The other issue is that sometimes information can get lost and it's not always easy to find. The solution for that is to use wikis such as nile.asi.

A new (and fun) way to communicate

When we started with Slack, the folks pushing it said, it will cut down significantly on your email. I didn't believe that it would but as more and more people started using it I saw a major decrease in my email. I love not having long confusing threads. If something is posted in a channel everyone in the channel gets to follow if they chose to do so. It makes work life so much easier.

Pros

Slack seems to have taken the lead in social media type business communication. We started using them a few years ago and have at times reviewed other systems but always came back to Slack having something that the others didn't. We started with one business unit and recently pushed it out to the whole company as our preferred method of internal communication. The product is easy to use. People...

Cons

There are a few things I would like to see improved in Slack. 1. Slack gives you options to easily have private group conversations which is nice if you want to discuss something with just three or four people. Bringing another person into the group and letting them see the conversation history is not an option. I understand why they do this. They are supposed to be private messages but it is...

Communicate and be productive in a fun way

If used properly and to the best interest o the company project and people, slack could be beneficial in communication, tracking and solving issues.

Pros

I use slack everyday at work and it is how we as the engineering team communicate with each other without disturbing each other's concentration and space. I started using slack 2 years ago and I can definitely see how easy it is to get stuff done and get the messages out to the team. - Great for building trust among team It's basically like a group messenger for work with additional benefits. It even...

Cons

Slack can be an issue if the team use it for more than just work most of the times, - Steer away from the goal many times I noticed team steered away from the actual work and conversation went a different direction. it is easy for that to happen when there are a lot of people in the group and bringing up different points. - Needing to engage We all want to be part of the conversation so sometimes that could lead to feeling left out or engaging too much. - Not the goto method for comapnies In my case it has always been just used as a side channel for communication so it doesn't really bring much to the table besides active informing.

The Ultimate Tool for More Slack Time

Pros

Our company (software delivery solutions company – software industry) has been utilizing Slack for over three years to help both our internal and external teams keep organized. Our team often holds meeting remotely and works with distributed teams, sometimes even in other countries. Having the ability to communicate in one place has shown visible improvements in time and efficiency of getting our team...

Cons

Because we are currently utilizing the free plan for a fairly small to mid-sized team we often run into storage problems. When this happens, the only option you have available is to have each team member go in and delete EACH file individually. This is very tedious and time consuming and can take hours to delete 500 files (tip: keep up with it or do searches to make sure you don’t upload the same files...

Slack is our top communication channel!

1. Email is good, but Slack is better! The ability to easily communicate with the client's w/o loosing any valuable time good for both. 2. We have a very smooth experience using slack after making that shifting decision in the past. And so far we have had no regrets. For us slack is the number one tool for internal and external communication. 3. Slack is like a best friend to me as a Project Account Manager this tool is a must specially if you know how to use the build-in AI Support to help you keep loop on your daily task.

Pros

We have been using different communication tool to collaborate with our existing and the rest of our customers. All acknowledge the facts that keeping things together in loop specially in dealing with projects deliverables on time is very crucial for the overall progress. Email is the thing in the past and slack is the existing and future solution for team collaboration. Slacks offers many features...

Cons

In the past there was an issue with the Slack App version on Mac about lagging, but so far after few updates it was long gone. Honestly, we been using slack for many years now and if there by any issue or glitches it get's fixed immediately w/o you even noticing it.

Looking for the BEST communication tool at work? Choose Slack!

Slack is a very good tool that supports communication in a team. At work, I use it every day to communicate with my colleagues and I can't imagine working without this application. The transition to Slack itself is smooth and after a few moments each new person or team begins to appreciate its simplicity and functionality. I recommend it to anyone who works in a team.

Pros

I have been using Slack for over 8 months and one of the main reasons to use Slack is to limit e-mail communication.To be honest, in my work Slack has allowed me to completely stop using other messengers! I receive emails sporadically, about once a month,because the rest of the communication takes place on Slack. Everything in one place. How many times have you received an email that was not supposed...

Cons

I don't have much to say against Slack, but if I had to choose one thing, it would be definitely a file search. Finding anything, a file that was previously described in detail, is almost impossible. If I don't save a file at the time of receiving it, I can unfortunately forget about it, because finding it again is really difficult.

Slack for Team Communication

We use Slack as an internal team communicate tool for transparency of discussions with team members in multiple time zones and also to encourage team bonding. Direct messaging is also conveniently located here and since most of the devs on my team don't actual bother to login to the company mandated direct messaging team, it's easier to get ahold of them.

Pros

My previous experience with group real-time communication was IRC. As an employee who had just barely gotten their toes wet using terminal, IRC was intimidating to run and intimidating to find any past conversations because searching it required terminal commands and a third party plugin to just login. It also did not retain history when you signed off, so as one who is on a team that includes people...

Cons

I'd say the one downside I feel about Slack is that while they did do a good job improving their search, I still find myself struggling to find things I know I favorited and I can't search favorites. I also wish I was able to tag favorites with my own set of tags.

Slack- Your Best Friend

Overall, this is a great way to communicate in a work place for all sizes. If you are a new business and want to test this out I would highly recommend doing so. I know several organizations that use slack and I have never heard a negative review about this software.

Pros

This is a great and easy way to communicate with staff and employees, especially if this a remote company or you have workers or work remotely. You can set up different channels to keep conversations organized, which also allows you to customize who can see each channel. There is a great new feature that allows you to be invited into another company's slack channel, which is very helpful if you work...

Cons

One con of this software is that if you have the free version you only have a limited amount of storage. If you do not send a lot of files and documents than this version should be fine. You can delete files if it gets close to reaching the storage maximum, but if you use this on a daily basis I would recommend buying the premium version. This gives you unlimited storage and space. Also, I wish that new feature of adding other companies to different channels externally worked on all slack versions, not just the paid version. This is a great feature that everyone would love to use.

Even the free version of Slack is incredibly useful and feels complete

My overall experience with Slack is that it is a very solid virtual workspace for your team. It does seem more geared toward workplace functionality than other similar options such as Discord, which seems to work better for gaming. The control that an admin user has is unparalleled, and it makes file sharing a breeze. The free version is more than ample for any team at work that doesn't want to jump through hoops to get their organization to pony up for the full version, and feels complete as is and not like you're constantly being bombarded to upgrade. There are a few drawbacks such as such reliance on third party widgets for some functionality, but even that is a mild gripe and the army of available widgets to choose from makes up for it. Slack is a great product.

Pros

The thing that I like the best about the Slack software is the fact that even the free version of the application (which is the one that we use) has an abundance of features. The biggest drawback of not paying for the software is that older messages are not archived forever and will be deleted as space is required. However, I have found that there is months worth of conversation still stored in the app, which for our purposes is more than enough.

Cons

The thing I like least about Slack is that a lot of the extensive functionality, such as polling your users, is done through third party widgets. While this does make for an extensive list of things that you can do in Slack that's too much for the developers of Slack themselves to realistically keep up with, the quality of these widgets are varying and you sometimes have to search through and then test out multiple ones before finding one that works perfectly for your needs.

Select your country

10+ YEARS RECOMMENDING SOFTWARE

© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.