All categories

Learn why GetApp is free

Slack Reviews

20,392 reviews

Don't think Get Slack

I would like to say that for team collaboration and channel managment, you should definitely go with Slack. There are so many benefits I have got by using Slack.

Pros

The best thing about slack is , it keeps you updated with the team collaboration with updated features where you can make your work done. Apart from that Slack gives you a status feataure to write about yourself for a line or 2 lines sentence. When you are communicating with someone then he/she can see your status sentence. You can edit or clear your status by clicking on your name to the top left...

Cons

Whenever your message is read by someone, then you will not know if that person has read your message or not. After sending messages to a person, and if a person has not read the message , and you delete the message then that person won't be able to know what message you have sent. After sometime (Appox : 10 days) , the slack conversaion gets deleted from your account unless you don't have subscribed. Voice Communication needs to be there in Slack. Also there are no calender and documents features in Slack. It uses more memory in Desktop. Task assignment is yet to be there.

Excellent Internal and External Messaging Application

Overall, Slack is a top-tier messaging application with a lot a fun and practical capabilities. The Slack mobile app is also very well built and user friendly, and integrates nicely with both Android and Apple operating systems. When compared to other IM applications we've used such a Google Hangouts or HipChat, Slack proves to be the superior and preferred interface in terms of both quality and feature capacity. I would definitely recommend this application for both business and personal use.

Pros

Slack has incredible integration capabilities, and can connect to a large percentage of other project management and operations software applications. Our of office, for example, we utilize its connectivity to Pingboard, JIRA, and Zendesk to make internal communication both thorough and seamless. It also has great external communications capabilities, and you can set up multiple teams with in a single application, and give each team its own individual permissions settings. On the lighter side, Slack offers fun and entertaining features such a giphy integration and surveys/polling, which are frequently used at our office.

Cons

Slack tends to have intermittent connectivity issues, which can be detrimental to workflow, especially if your company has remote employees. My company experienced several service interruptions over the past year, where Slack has gone down for multiple hours at a time, forcing us to resort to other means of communication (email, phone, Google Hangouts, etc.). The quality of Slack's call capability is also spotty, at best. I regularly choose other means of voice communication because I have consistent concerns about the audio quality of any given conversation taking place over Slack phone.

Ultimate place for communication strengthening our Business style

High Availability: it provides multiple modes of the communications. we can setup channels for the specific topics send messages directly to one and many at same time search function: one place we can search all the required apps rather than nesting in different tools Ability to share emoji making the communication funny and attractive. Best UI and all the required apps at one place

Pros

This slack is great for real time group discussions and it has large varieties of the integrations which includes different varieties like Google drive and it has capabilities to include large number of people to communicate at same time. Almost all the big and small organisations are utilizing in expanding their business strategies and productivity. The best of slack is it has an option of the private...

Cons

The least of this software is there is no calendar which is what we are expecting in the next upgrade a part from that there is no voice call features to communicate. Looking for the preview options in the slack as every time the files need to be downloaded from slack a part from that if there is a preview option the file can be made with pdf this could be much more helpful

Communication for (Cool) Professionals

We can definitely communicate with almost no exceptions. It takes the "where is this person" out of the equation as you can just send them a message and know when they come online and see it. The benefits to not just sitting and waiting on an answered email are endless.

Pros

I don't remember how my team communicated before Slack. It keeps my coworkers connected in and out of the office. It cuts down on our emails and makes communication easy. There are a lot of apps and integrations that can be added to automate processes. You can integrate project management tools, Google Docs, Spotify, Canto DAM, Giphy for some fun with coworkers and so many more. I love that I can...

Cons

The Screen sharing could be improved, along with mic recognizing. When network connectivity is lost during screen sharing or calls, the reconnect feature doesn't seem to work really efficiently. My biggest complaint is that Slack makes you way too available. You're expected to know whats going on whether you are at home sick or in the office working. Sometimes the app on the phone won't clear your notifications even after reading or checking through them.

Incredibly well built and valuable --- also easily a time suck

We used slack as a company both to facilitate communication across all teams (a tech start up that grew from 20 people to 120 people while I was there) and run basic options (e.g. submit bugs to the product team). It helped us build a strong culture of bonding over personal news broadcasts and basic company updates, and also improved our productivity in certain processes. In other aspects, it was definitely a huge distraction. I would say it's worth integrating with clear guidelines for etiquette.

Pros

Once you get the hang of it, it's really well designed, easy to use and really fun. They have so many integrations that make it easy to customize it for a company and yet let each individual employee personalize it for themselves (names, gifs, emoji's, etc). It's a streamlined way to get a simple answer back or stay in touch with employees you don't happen to be sitting next to. You avoid email overload.

Cons

It can be a HUGE time suck and it was very hard to be off slack at any point. This is probably company dependent, but I was as a tech start-up and it was so easy to spend hours of my day messaging people about work or non-work related topics. This can be fine, unless you're trying to get something meaningful done. People would slack during meetings rather than be fully present. That made no sense to me -- if you're going to be in a meeting, BE in a meeting. I also felt like I couldn't get off slack on nights and weekends. Again -- that's a company wide decision, but there was an aspect of slack like texting that made people felt like they had to respond when they got a message. Even if you don't respond, it still drives up anxiety to have notifications pop up.

A Collaborative Communication Tool

Overall, I've been very happy with Slack. I have people who often work remotely, and being able to have a centralized, searchable space for conversation that can be delineated by topic is a lifesaver in a lot of situations. We are often working on multiple projects with multiple stakeholders, so keeping those conversations clear is essential. But what I like in particular about Slack is the integrations...

Pros

Slack has helped my team communicate more effectively and work together more collaboratively than we were able to before. Channels are the best feature for our team. They help us keep our conversations segmented so that we can find information easily and share it with only those who need to know. Since I use Slack with internal team members and external collaborators, it also helps me keep communication with others in my organization who don't work directly with me but with whom I need to communicate on a regular basis.

Cons

The onboarding process is still a bit difficult. It's hard to explain what Slack is to others who aren't familiar with it, and the learning curve can be a bit steep, especially for those who are most comfortable communicating via email. I've had difficulty getting some external collaborators to use it because of that barrier.

Slack is very useful... Specially if you pay!

I think Slack is very good for team communication, though not "the only answer". I say this because, for example, it isn't the most appropriate tool to handle team wide calls. It's worth to pay for it if you need to access your history files and conversations.

Pros

I really like the way Slack enables team communication. I have used Slack in both paid/free versions. I used the free version (limited storage for conversations and files) in a 40 people co-located team. It was very good for short interactions and immediate file sharing. We had a link with Jira, so we were always seeing issues being updated and such. Previously, we had Trello and it work very good...

Cons

After a while (or update, I'm not sure) using the free version, the storage of conversations and/or files didn't lasted much. So, if you had a conversation last week, forget about going back to that. Also, in the free version it feels very much as if your files and conversations are held as hostages. I think there are still some integrations that needed to be improved, for example, when I accidentally accepted to show previews of GitHub issues I couldn't find a way to turn it off (or an easy way, at least.)

Quick, Organized Messaging and High Functionality

Despite the time it took to get accustomed to the software and the constant teaching we have to do for new members of our team on how to best use it, I'm so glad that we switched to Slack. It works for us because we have minimal use for emails and are frequently messaging about things that require quick responses from many people. I have only used it on a team of 40+ people for part-time community organizing, not a full-time job or project, but it has reduced so much stress and greatly increased our productivity and communication. Plus, we can have separate channels just for jokes or recipes, so it adds a fun element to our work without ONE MORE EMAIL in everyone's inbox.

Pros

Slack helps our team of 40+ people stay organized and on task. I'm not an early tech adopter, but I LOVE having my email inbox NOT inundated constantly with various subjects and to-dos. In fact, we never use email for our team, with the exception of occasional messages that come in from someone outside of our organization that we all need to discuss (and even then, copy and pasting it into Slack often...

Cons

Slack does have a significant learning curve, especially with all of the special functions that are possible within the app; our team uses very few of the special functions because they aren't immediately intuitive and we haven't taken the time to get trained on them. Channels can get cluttered quickly if threads are not utilize properly, and it can take time to scroll back through the channel to find posts (although there is a search function). Also, it's a small thing, but we use the emoji "reaction" function regularly to post Yes/No questions, vote for approval on proposals (Thumbs up!), etc., but Slack does not currently notify posters of emoji "reactions" to their posts; they just have to go to the app to see whether anyone has responded or not.

All in one collaboration for non-traditional offices

Overall, wonderful company. I’ve been with them for 2 years. Incredible updates to this software in that time. It’s so integrated into my company because I don’t have a traditional office. My team is spread out all over the state.

Pros

You have everyone together in one place You can set up multiple projects or companies under one log in with different users set at different administrative statuses to limit access to different employee levels Real time follow up Keeps the team interactive which increases productivity and progress Navigating from one team or company or project to another is very easy using the desktop app Very productive...

Cons

If you don’t download the desktop app and only use the website, it can be difficult switching between projects or companies or team You will need the app to ease the navigation of the software If you have a physical office that everyone goes to, then this will still be helpful as a follow up but you would really get the full potential of this software Sometimes it becomes a social platform that your...

Slack - Fastest way to communicate internally!

Overall, Slack is a communication king. It acts as a one tool for all and seamlessly allows multiple integrations with so many third party applications. All of its content are searchable, pinnable and configurable to your personal preference. Slack makes file sharing easy across all conversations and is available for across multi platform.

Pros

Slack is a communication tool for all employees in one place. I love how we are able to start a channel to talk about a specific project or chat to individual people. In my life of field i work in multiple different department from various different time zones but Slack unites all of us together. You are also able to integrate a lot of third party tools to help your conversations. I very much use...

Cons

There are couple things Slack could improve. Firstly, Slack needs to allow their users to import table - if you are copy pasting an information from a table, Slack is not able to dissect that which is really a downer. The other being, connection issues, lately Slack has been having some connection issues whereby it is the only software in your system to not connect to the internet.

Slack Review

Overall I don't know how we would function without Slack. It is a key component of our company workflow and with all the integrations available with Slack, we're being more productive, seeing less in our inbox, and getting work done faster and efficiently. We will likely move up to the paid version soon, since there are additional function's we'd like to use (like accessing archived conversations and files). I would recommend Slack to everyone - I even use it personally in place of other messaging apps!

Pros

I love how easy Slack is to use. It's extremely user friendly with a familiar interface. If you ever used AIM (instant messenger) or iChat in the past, Slack will feel very similar. I also love that we can drag and drop to share large files in Slack. When working in a fast environment where things like presentations or creative need to be reviewed around quickly, but are too large to email, Slack...

Cons

One thing that's actually really frustrating is not having control over deleting conversations. As with any direct messaging app, there's an expectation of privacy between those two people. However, it's really unclear if upper management can ever access these direct messages. As such, I know a number of people who had tried to mass-delete threads (in the event mgmt could read them) but it wasn't...

One of the Best Tools for Communication!

Pros

I owned a company that had quite a few people working for us that were overseas and communication was key. We started using slack and it greatly improved productivity, communication, and clarity. It was very simple to learn and use for everyone in the company. It is essentially a productivity social network for a business. You can pin important announcements and topics to the top for everyone to...

Cons

The only drawback I have found with Slack is the video chat feature. It may have improved since I last used this feature but it seems to have some bugs. It would drop calls or the quality would be poor. We ended up having to use Zoom or Google hangout for the video chat. However, it is convenient within the video chat you can screen share.

A great tool to collaborate with far away international experts in a comfortable and powerful way

Thanks to this software, I keep connection with a network of international experts from everywhere on a passionate subject that we continue to build together, including rich conversations , sharing documents and setup workshops all around the world.

Pros

The user interface is really elegant and powerful. I particularly appreciate the 3 pane display that allows me to see which channel have updates so I can easily switch and the right pane to see content of a thread or search results without loosing my context. I also really appreciate the possibility to add our own set of icons. In our case its particularly useful since our group discuss about methods...

Cons

Switching from a workspace to another one is always confusing for me. Never sure about how to use it correctly without loosing an update. Seems to be a recent change, but search results are now displayed in a popup window, then you select one result and you are redirected to the thread and loose the list of results. It's quite disturbing for me and I still have to learn how to use it in a comfortable manner. I'm also puzzled by the 'All thread' view where I'm always lost. You can scroll up and down and you never know exactly where you are. Maybe it's useful for other people but for me the best views are the Channels.

Good communications tool for large businesses

Easier and more casual communication between teams. Ability to take more issues at once without having to move around the building too much. Overall, I believe it improves efficiency and eases mental loads.

Pros

This is a good piece of software if you have multiple teams that need to communicate in real time. In our company, we have teams across different buildings communicate casually in the back-ground whilst work is on-going. This is very handy if you have questions or tasks that need following up, as you are able to send notifications that are more visible than an email but not as intrusive as a face...

Cons

The desktop/mobile versions of the app work fine. However, if you're in a VDI work setup and have to use the browser version you will probably experience some lag. You're machine will need some decent RAM to be able to cope when the chats get large and multiple conversations are occurring at once. When I say decent RAM, I mean not an ageing office computer. If you have the FREE version you can expect older conversations to disappear, so if history and file space is important to you you'll need a paid version.

Slack is the ultimate E-mail killer

It's almost completely replaced Email within our business, it's amazing and handled nearly everything we have thrown at it so far. It helps us connect with multi-site colleagues and with our publishers.

Pros

Slack is a tool that allows you to ditch e-mail in your work environment, probably for good. Since we implemented an internal Slack office environment (after about 5 minutes of setting it up) - We've found that our E-mail amount has plummeted to almost zero. Day to day chats, tasks, discussions, updates everything is now usually carried out of Slack now, we have every employee using the Slack App...

Cons

There really isn't much we don't like about Slack, it can become a bit of a distraction at times if you don't manage the alerts and notifications properly. I guess on a personal level, it also makes it harder to disconnect from work when out of office hours as there's always a form of communication available. None of these criticisms really fall on Slack however, and more on our work culture and rules.

If you are still using email to communicate at work, I feel bad for you.

Pros

Slack has totally innovated the way our team communicates and our productivity would not be the same without it. Slack allows you to efficiently communicate with your team in a fun and enjoyable way. Unlike email, messages and files are easily searchable in one search box and slack also collects all of the attachments in your workspace together so they can be easily found. Slack threads make...

Cons

There really aren't many cons to slack although the app on the phone can be a bit buggy at times, but no real complaints and they seem to address any issues with a timely update. Although slack has a multitude of apps, I do wish there were some apps they had. For instance, I would like the ability to create a google calendar event from a message or send a google calendar invite through slack. Although, they seem to be constantly innovating the platform, so hopefully this will be possible in the future.

The best tool for communication out there!

Overall, Slack is definitely a tool you can vouch for!

Pros

After having worked in the IT sector for 3+ years now, I can safely say that Slack is one of the best channels for internal communication - primarily because the design is extremely balanced; it is not archaic nor is it designed to look too casual a chat platform. I will quickly walk you through the pros of the product based on my experience as well as the useful features of it. 1. With slack, you...

Cons

1. The application is too slow at times, to the extent that all other files hang. Tip: Once you have your workplace's account on Slack, just use the web version - It is not slow as the app is 2. The bottle-cap on the number of messages - I would like to use a communication tool safe in the knowledge that I can use it whenever I want to with no limits whatsoever. The upper limit of the number of messages that you can send deters me from sending quick messages to myself/others

Great messaging platform with a ton of great plugins

Pros

My team uses Slack at work and I basically live in that app. It manages to solve a bunch of needs at once, from instant messaging, to video chat, to a team wiki, and much more. The open and closed channels (for public and private conversations) are a great way to cut down on emails. The ability to customize your notifications means you can control how often you want to be bugged about what is happening...

Cons

While it's great that there is a version of Slack for just about every conceivable platform, like Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, etc., as well as a web version, the desktop apps are basically just web containers and don't feel as snappy at times as they could. And while most of my team is tech savvy, some of the tools are not particularly user-friendly for those who aren't comfortable with the things like slash-commands.

I've used Slack in my current company and at my last company and absolutely love it.

Efficiency in time, clarity in communication, speediness in communication, entertainment in communication.

Pros

I love Slack because it's so ridiculously easy to use. It makes communicating with colleagues easy, *FAST* and fun. I work in tech and worked at an advertising agency previously and have used Slack at both companies. The amount of times I'm asked to send a file or shoot someone info in a day is limitless and Slack prevents me from having to start dozens of email threads with formal messages like...

Cons

The only aspect I'd say I dislike is I feel like I'm not utilizing all of Slack's features, because I don't know what else to leverage beyond what I already do. Perhaps introducing tutorials or recommendations would be helpful so users know they're using Slack to its absolute highest potential. Other than that, in my 2+ years using the program I haven't experienced any issues.

We are SLACKERS

It helped my company reduce the spillage of work into everyone's personal social media. It's also a really great way to communicate with coworkers and get things done. We've almost eliminated internal emails!

Pros

The company I work for used to use a group chat in a social media platform to try to communicate with our employees - we're small, and the number of employees wasn't too large for this, but we had quite a few different group chats, and they all bled into our personal lives. When I found #Slack, I immediately knew this was the answer to the ever-leeching work-life balance conundrum caused by having...

Cons

The only thing that I feel is missing is the ability to copy an image and paste it directly into #Slack from the desktop. You have to download the file and then upload it, which is not a major problem, but most applications have this ability now, so I constantly try to do it, and then it doesn't work.

Slack is an exceptional communications tool for teams of all sizes. I highly recommend it.

Pros

Slack was built with a very powerful software architecture in mind, yet so many individuals can use it because of its friendly user-interface. The design is very fun, playful and gives you the powerful functionality that you never thought existed. For how many use cases there are in Slack, they make the user experience very streamlined and easy to pick up. In addition, you can sync a lot of the other...

Cons

The biggest takeaway is if it's not used right within an organization, it can be a productivity killer. Slack connects to both your mobile device and your laptop so if you do not manage you notifications right, it can be virtually impossible to escape the conversations that are going on. Saying this, our team implements certain hours of the day where ALL phone and laptop notifications are off. Slack makes it possible to do this by changing your modes of availability and/or snoozing the notifcations for certain periods of time. As long as you limit the amount of channels to the ones that require you rattention and don't spend your whole day falling in the trap of checking your notifications all the time, it can be an awesome tool for communication.

Team messaging done right

Pros

When working in teams of many sizes, Slack makes chat fun, efficient and non-obstrusive. Slack is modelled on IRC, with users joining a "workspace" comprised of any number of themed channels. Users can set their notification preferences for each channel, which makes it possible to control the volume of notifications. While some channels are meant to be used by everyone (#general, #random), it's very...

Cons

In settings where the free plan is not sufficient (e.g. large number of users), the "pro" options feel quite expensive. While clients are extremely well designed on all platforms, handling multiple Slack Workspaces is still a bit of a hassle. Notifications arrive for all workspaces, but one needs to explicitly switch between workspaces to see messages. A unified view of all new messages across workspaces would be amazing. The lack of a single account means that any preference set into one client (e.g. on desktop) will generally not carry over to another (e.g. mobile). In terms of administration, I wish that we could set the default notification settings per channel, instead of requiring each user to go and tweak them manually.

It would be near impossible to unseat Slack as the king of communication software

It helps me communicate with colleagues across the world and lets me be more flexible geographically.

Pros

Slack simply has everything I've ever wanted it to have. Everyone knows about it, everyone knows how to use it, and nobody ever has an issue. I am part of a handful of communities there where I enjoy collaborating with people across the world, but I also use it internally for work. I have used it at my past 3 companies, and I just honestly don't know how a company would operate without it these days. There...

Cons

The thing I like least about this software is probably the culture it creates in that every is available everywhere all the time. While Slack addresses this with the ability to Snooze notifications, chat communications just makes you feel like you can have access to anyone and their work/information whenever you need it (and let's be honest, you always need it now). It's better for communications, but as always with something like this it's a double edged sword. The more connected you are, the more you are chained to work at all times. Of course it's the choice of the user to avoid that, but if it evolves culturally within a business because it's just so easy, then it's hard to avoid.

Slack is always on their game.

Pros

Uptime: There have been so few service interruptions in the last year. I can only remember one service interruption that has affected us where general functionality was unavailable for about 45 mins. Obviously 100% uptime is preferable with any software, but I'll accept 99.999%. Fun: Slack feels fun to use and I'm not ashamed to say that otherwise boring conversations are elevated in their level...

Cons

Cry Wolf Effect: The larger your organization, or the chattier your employees/co-workers, the less productive slack can become. Sometimes you really need to be in a channel because of its important messages, but if your teammates are blowing it up with cat gifs it becomes white noise. This sets up the "Cry Wolf Effect" whereby posting abuse means you are never sure if the channels that are important ever have anything important going on in them. So, unless you constantly check them it becomes fatiguing really quickly. Yes, one simple solution is to set up a dumpster channel for the white noise, but its really easy for that to leak into important business channels unless everyone agrees to a standardized code of posting behavior and rules.

It's just the best out there

Pros

I've been using Slack for quite a while now. Using it with a team of 15 people. I also have used facebook workplace and Chatwork, just to see what else there is but always came back here. It's easy to use: I use Slack in Japan with Japanese coworkers, some of them don't speak English. Now Slack is available in Japanese, but for the last 3 years when it wasn't, UI was still simple enough and never...

Cons

Sometimes app updating on Windows 10 was funny: inconsistent icon designs on the Tab Bar. But maybe that is Windows 10s fault but never had this happen with any other app If you are on the free plan, you need to store important conversations somewhere else because old messages disappear, but we just use Slack for communication + sharing, and Google Drive for storing important data. Important data...

Select your country

10+ YEARS RECOMMENDING SOFTWARE

© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.