WhiteSmoke Logo

WhiteSmoke

Proofreading software for detecting grammatical errors

WhiteSmoke Reviews

3.8

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend7.5/10

Reviews by rating

I have been able to improve my reputation in the organization, especially in the days of reorganization, and this helps me maintain my stature, high reputation.
It is having multiple features, best in terms of money inexpensive.
I can't think of anything more worthless to me. I use several computers and logins based on what project I'm working on. Being able to only have it in one location is a step back into the dark ages.

John M.

Civil Engineering, 1,001-5,000 employees

Power grammar and editing software

I would totally be a loss without WhiteSmoke. Even when I'm not using it strictly professional. I use it to make sure that my casual writing is up-to-par.

Pros

The functionality of the software, which allows you to check on your overall grammar:subject verb agreement, readability of our document and the quick response to your grammar checks.

Cons

It is hard to pinpoint anything that I don't like, because it fills my need by enabling me to check a document as I write, also it allows me to the opportunity to accept certain changes that make the document correct and well as its readability.

JU

James U.

Accounting, 11-50 employees

WhiteSmoke Review

I like being able to add custom dictionaries very easily. It seems like spell checker jargon and often uses internally uncountable words as part of the full text to correct these errors instead of wasting the manager's time by adding abbreviations as words to speed up revisions.

Pros

WhiteSmoke works well on every report that our field technician sends to the manager. The manager then matches the report and sends it to the operations supervisor, using WhiteSmoke to mix the reports with different types of entries while eliminating errors. The result is a fast and consistent document.

Cons

Many current "style guides" seem to have rather conservative responses to analyzing the collection of text and sentence structures present in the document being reviewed. I wanted to get a more interactive experience about improving grammar.

JS

Jen S.

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

I Used to Love WhiteSmoke

Without notice, my lifetime (paid) subscription shut off on January 1, 2021. The notice yet again said my "free" version expired. I emailed customer service thinking they'd faced some kind of error that took it offline again and that they'd tell me when to expect it to come back up. Instead, I got a curt note back informing me that "lifetime" refers to the lifetime of the product and they felt like...

Pros

I started using WhiteSmoke when I was a newbie content writer. I loved it because it was easy to use and genuinely taught me how to be a better writer. I learned what errors I usually made and how to correct them, which made me feel very confident publishing work or submitting it to clients.

Cons

The service was terrible. I purchased a lifetime "anywhere" (online/ cloud) subscription and it would lock me out on an annual basis, telling me my "free" version expired. Customer service would take days to respond and it would take a week or more before it would come back. When they'd finally respond, which sometimes took several messages spread out over several weeks, they'd talk to me like I should be grateful they were even answering. Considering I wrote for a living and was producing four or five pieces per day, not having access to the proofing tool I paid for was crippling.

Translation and Localization, self-employed

Excellent tool but not very user-friendly

Excellent tool except for the formatting issue.

Pros

Excellent grammatical and orthographic correction features, context and style check.

Cons

It saves the corrected version in plain text so you lose any formatting when you paste the corrected text to the original document. It is hard to proofread lengthy texts due to the loss of formatting. It would be great if the formatting could be retained. Maybe a plugin that works directly in Microsoft Word would be a solution.

DC

Diane C.

Law Practice, 11-50 employees

Accurate spellcheck.

Whitesmoke is great for spellcheck, but I have submitted multiple documents with punctuation and grammar errors that whitesmoke failed to catch. In my view, its not as good as the other software that's available.

Pros

Whitesmoke has accurate spellcheck. It offers style guides, punctuation check, and grammar check. One thing I really liked was that corrections are displayed above the error, vs the error only being marked or highlighted. Whitesmoke can be used in Microsoft Word and in your web browser. The pricing is acceptable.

Cons

I had problems keeping documents in their original format and I've noticed that the grammar check and punctuation check aren't always accurate. Whitesmoke doesn't offer a free version.

Tim S.

Research, self-employed

Used other for 2+ years

I bought a lifetime plan, but WhiteSmoke keeps cancelling my subscription.

I have had a bad experience with WhiteSmoke. I invested more upfront thinking I would save in the long run, but with diminishing features and constantly being locked out of my account and told to "upgrade" again, it's just not worth the hassles.

Pros

At the start WhiteSmoke worked well on my Mac with MS Office, but now it doesn't work on a Mac at all.

Cons

I bought the Lifetime plan, but then after some updates and you find that they force you to "upgrade again" even after buying the Lifetime plan. So then your left with a web-based version only and again they cancel your account unless you write and complain, then they reinstate it for a short while and then cancel it again. There are no updates, it was only version 8 of the web-based software. I have bought other Lifetime grammar checkers which have not given me these problems.

KB

Kay B.

Hospital & Health Care, self-employed

After five years with White Smoke.

I have not found another product I like better but I do look .... Even after five years using it I would jump in a heartbeat if I found one that I didn't have the grammer problems, and the duplication and deletion issues.

Pros

I like knowing 95% of the time White Smoke finds and corrects my spelling errors.

Cons

It doesn't do a good job of catching the grammatical errors. It also often doubles and triples line of text. Other times it deletes items. It is madding when you have an email only to have White Smoke "bastardize" it so much with it duplication or it deletions that it doesn't look anything like your email at all. On occation it delete my entire email or word document.

DH

Dossie H T.

Not consistent

Overall, it's a good program, but I believe it could be better if you give it a few more tweaks. As I noted above, it will often show errors that aren't there. There also seems to be a problem identifying tenses.

Pros

The most salient feature of WhiteSmoke is a spell check. It's confusing sometimes because it does not always show correctly subject and verb agreement. It's time-consuming, trying to see what's wrong when there's nothing wrong.

Cons

The program will often stop in the middle of reviewing, which is also exasperating. It may be something I am not doing, but I must "call up" the program, using f2, rather than have it visible and available whenever I need it. If you could provide information about that, I'd appreciate it.

PD

Paul D.

Industrial Automation, 1-10 employees

A Quick Check

Customer relations and appearance.

Pros

My major use of WhiteSmoke is a quick check of emails. I do not regularily prepare lengthy documents, but I do like that I can highlight my writing and do a quick Fn F2 check. I strive for an 8 or better. :) I did a check of this writing.

Cons

Contacting a service tech when I have an issue. When I have a need, I look for an immediate resolution, and hate waiting hours, or days. As a service organization, we rely on prompt service.

SM

Swier M.

Professional Training & Coaching, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

Unreliable supplier

Over 10 years ago I bought two life long licenses from Whitsmoke. During the years one of them got lost. Now I'm writing a book, and Whitsmoke informs me (a month after informing) that my license has expired due to their new EULA, which didn't even exist when I bought the licences. I find this a despicable way of doing business. If you want to be successful in business, this is not the way to go. I will delete what is left of Whitesmoke from my computer, and I will tell everyone *NOT* to buy it. They are unreliable.

Pros

Easy to use, when it works. Does what it has to do.

Cons

Unreliable in their business approach. After several years they try to get you to pay again for life long licenses. Despicable behavior.

OFER A.

Financial Services, 51-200 employees

recently i dont get any support from whitesmoke ,i am not sure if company in buisness

very poor customer service, this is the answer I get hank you for contacting us, I would love to assist you. Unfortunately, there are many reasons for all kinds of malfunctions.I suggest you get the help of someone professional on your side who might be able to solve the problem. I apologize in advance for not being able to help you beyond that. Best Regards,WhiteSmoke Support

Pros

the system doesn't work and many times where I try to upload with no results

Cons

no customer support and the answer i get for the problem was very unproffesional here are the sample :hank you for contacting us, I would love to assist you. Unfortunately, there are many reasons for all kinds of malfunctions.I suggest you get the help of someone professional on your side who might be able to solve the problem. I apologize in advance for not being able to help you beyond that. Best Regards,WhiteSmoke Support

CH

Clinton H.

Biotechnology, 10,001+ employees

Excellent, and maintains excellent reputation

Pros

Context - I have a learning disability that impacts my english skills when it comes to writing. My employer hired a writing coach, and the sessions resulted in breaking bad habits. However, I have difficulties with the aspects of English grammar and rules. Product - I have been using is for several years, where I am able to reduce the time to craft, and produce reports with confidence. By using it exclusively enabled me to reduce the number of errors, and able to rearrange my thoughts with clarity. Even though I have gain confidence in the written communication, I will always use WhiteSmoke since there has been a need to get the work done in a quicker manner.

Cons

Sometimes in mac IOS, the software crashes, but it is not a big problem.

TT

Timmy T.

Computer Software, 1,001-5,000 employees

Customizable Grammar and spelling software with a sturdy API

Whitesmoke runs on each of the reports that field technicians send to managers. The managers then collate their reports and send them to an operational overseer and use Whitesmoke to blend the many types of writing and reporting while removing errors. It results in a quickly-made, yet cohesive, document.

Pros

I love that I am able to very easily add a custom dictionary- we often use words internally that appear like jargon to the spellchecker and can't be counted as part of a complete sentence- rather than wasting time of our managers to correct these errors, we add the abbreviations as words and speed along in reviews.

Cons

Many of the pre-existing "style guides" seem like they are canned responses rather than analyzing the corpus of text and sentence structures that are present in a document that is being reviewed. I had hoped for a more interactive experience on grammar improvement.

Thanks for the feedback Tommy!

SS

Susan S.

Excellent Product

I've published 3 novels thanks to this program. It helps alleviate my fear of commas. And guarantees I spell words like alleviate correctly. :)

Pros

I love this program and would not be able to function without it.

Cons

I like every feature of this program. It's easy to use and does everything I need it to do.

TK

Teresa K.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

Great for PC but not as efficient for MAC

Pros

I like how it is integrated into Outlook. Emails are completed so fast that you sometimes forget to proof. WS reminds you as you hit send.

Cons

That I can not integrate it into my apps as a do on my PC.

MB

Mikhail B.

Research, 5,001-10,000 employees

My WhiteSmoke review

Pros

F2 button and automatic checks of the emails

Cons

frequent crashes, the paragraphs disappear after you click Apply Changes and you need to spend time to recover the text

BS

Brenda S.

Why I like WhiteSmoke

I am an author and I would not turn in my manuscript without a WhiteSmoke check.

Pros

WhiteSmoke found punctuation and mistakes in spelling I made that other spell checkers did not. It gave helpful suggestions on other words to use and pointed out when I used the same word too many times. It also rated my paragraphs. I was not only helpful but made me think.

Cons

It would have saved some time when checking a manuscript if the program would have ignored the paragraphs that did not need to be fixed.

Syavash A.

Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees

paid the yearly subscription, never received a confirmation ....

awful ... stay away

Pros

nothing! it is awful, no support no purchase confirmation ... nothing ... stay away

Cons

everything about this software is a cons ... stay away. i paid 100 CAD for a yearly subscription and I get no support ... nothing. i don't even know how to use this piece of junk. it is not even installing ... i cannot login to their portal with credentials they provided, I didn't receive a confirmation email that I purchased. i don't receive any responses on support tickets and emails I sent them ... they are just awful ... don't throw your money in the garbage

McKaffui Aikins S.

Graphic Design, 1-10 employees

Perfectly The Best Grammar App

Impressive

Pros

I like the user interface. Tools are neatly arranged and reachable. It's just user friendly with a very good user experience. Great navigation.

Cons

Nothing much but the price must be cosidered down a little bit. I had small problem with integration way back when i started using it. This bug should be fixed asap!. Thank you

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

Used other for 1-2 years

Looks good on paper but on workflow....

Close but not quite. It can do a few cool things but still yet to be convinced whether it is necessary compared to alternatives

Pros

It does a lot of different things at a lower price point so worth a looks

Cons

It feels clunky and old. Also, customer service is no great. Made me feel like I was doing something wrong when I changed laptops and tried to reinstall

LA

Lindell A.

Hospital & Health Care, 1,001-5,000 employees

Assessmentmof Whitesmoke

Pros

It is a quick way to spot mistakes I have made in sending messages.

Cons

Support is slow in responding to my requests.

JR

Jeffrey R.

Used monthly for 2+ years

They are like a street begger always wanting money.

Liked it not perfect but helped in writing just kept asking for money.

Pros

It worked well when it was not wanting license or you to purchase it again.

Cons

Kept asking for money like a dumb upgrade and more purchased lifetime about five times. Finally stopped paying and found something else.

AS

Amandeep S.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

Best inexpensive alternative to grammar check apps

Pros

It is having multiple features, best in terms of money inexpensive.

Cons

Functionality and application are not at all up to the mark.

Muhammad Mohsin K.

Chemicals, self-employed

Review on WhiteSmoke Spell Checker

Pros

It is an accurate checker for grammar and spelling. It has a very low monthly cost about 10 dollars a month for WhiteSmoke Essential

Cons

WhiteSmoke can check 10000 character at a time only which is very short as compared to other softwares like Grammarly.