Zimbra Collaboration Suite Logo

Zimbra Collaboration Suite

Enterprise collaboration and online community software.

Zimbra Collaboration Suite Reviews

4.4

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend7.96/10

Reviews by rating

What I like the best about Zimbra are its splendid storage volume and the mobile version. Our colleague has access to emails even when they are traveling or away from the office.
We can integration this suite with informative applications like Ted, IBM redbooks to view our daily feeds which is quite helpful for the people who are more interested in gaining knowledge.
I like the easy installation and the web administrative console which can be used for many admin tasks. The Desktop app is great and easy to use.
The update processes are complex, since they must be done in a controlled environment, because they can produce an error and place the entire service offline.
Hard to customize the installation, lost data when I needed to migrate to another server. The API uses XML-RPC which is not easy to use, JSON is a lot easier.
The read messages do not drop down to low priority, so if I leave one unread so I can come back to it. The message gets buried in the inbox.

Tigran K.

Owner

Real Estate, self-employed

Typical email interface

Transcript

Tigran K.: Hi, my name is Tigran, I'm a quantitative analyst and I give Zimbra Collaboration Suite a...

Justin S.

Senior DevOps Engineer

Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees

Perhaps the worst productivity suite I've ever used

Transcript

Justin: Hi, I'm Justin, DevOps engineer, and I give Zimbra Collaboration Suite one out of five stars....

Daniel R.

I have used zimbra for almost 2 years and it has seemed a solid app for business mail system

A Personal and Work experience

Pros

It has been very adaptable to the needs of my company because it is open source It has been widely accepted by end users due to the application of web standards, which gives the user more reliability in the system. The administration interface has been very simple and functional when creating users, groups and requirements

Cons

The information filtering tools and emails have many details that have to be improved. The modules for the users themselves to change the password of their account have some problems.

CJ

Carlos J. D.

Apparel & Fashion, 1,001-5,000 employees

A very useful e-mail, agenda, and collaboration tool

This is a useful program that solves your communication needs and helps keep you up to date with your emails, your meetings, and your daily tasks

Pros

It doesn't require a program to be installed in your computer, and you can have access to it where ever you need to: Laptop, PC, Tablet, Phone. It can sync your personal calendar in your cell phone and keep you updated about your meetings, Task list, and reminders. You can filter e-mails by folders, and there is also a downloadable local version in case you need to work off-line.

Cons

It does not have a wide variety of themes.

Financial Services, 501-1,000 employees

Ideal for your standard email requirements with lot of growth potential.

It was a pleasant experience. We had no much issues. Email was backed up frequently and could use the backups whenever we wanted. There was no advanced tools back then.

Pros

This is a very simple user friendly product which I used only for email communication purposes. The product loads very quickly and provide you with standard email functionalities. Ideal for a company who is not heavily dependent on email communication in my POV.

Cons

We had this implemented some years ago. Therefore, the product could be much better now. Back then w had storage issues which I believe had something to do with the package our company has purchased.

Nairoby D.

Telecommunications, 5,001-10,000 employees

Used other for 1-2 years

Free email service

I'm no longer at work where I use Zimbra, but I recommend it 100%

Pros

I met Zimbra when in one of my jobs they demanded the use of free software, which I thought was wonderful, I could not participate in the configuration of the service, however my support colleagues did it without knowing anything about the tool, following the manuals and the broad community that it has; the installation was a success, the next step was to provide users with their mail and a brief explanation of its use, but it really was not necessary since the tool was so intuitive that there was not someone who could not use it, we were all delighted with that we could access our mail from any device with Internet access, be able to schedule calendars and meetings, share email folders with other people, synchronize with any email client.

Cons

Few disadvantages you can have of a product like this, perhaps for those who managed the service could be somewhat complicated at the beginning, but not impossible to manage, since there was no interruption of the service at any time.

GG

Gilberto G.

Civil Engineering, 51-200 employees

It is an innovative email messaging and collaboration suite. It is the free software solution

Pros

It is an innovative email messaging and collaboration suite. The powerful Zimbra web client integrates email, contacts, shared calendar. Another of Zimbra's functionality is connectivity with proprietary clients such as Microsoft Outlook. It is the free software solution

Cons

It has a unique password that compromises all services. If the directory server falls, we can not access the services

Altagracia V.

Zimbra Collaboration Suite groups the functions that I need in a software to plan and communicate

With Zimbra I have improved substantially with respect to task planning and communication with my team. In the same way it has allowed us to save resources since it is a free software that offers a quality service.

Pros

One of Zimbra's positive aspects is that it offers e-mail, calendar, contact book and tasks in a single software, so I should not install other applications to enjoy these tools. Its interface is simple, facilitating its use for anyone who uses this program for the first time.

Cons

I believe that it has limitations when it is handled from smartphones if it is compared with its operation from desktop computers. From the aesthetic point of view it could improve its interface.

Apparel & Fashion, 51-200 employees

E-mail made easy

Zimbra E-mail is very, very easy to use. Our little complaints are just nitpicky and isn't serious. We've been using Zimbra e-mail for over 5 years and have not had any major issuer. Our organization plans on keeping this service for years to come.

Pros

It is a basic e-mail system, quick, easy, great way to keep in touch with your staff.

Cons

it looks old, could look better, needs to be updated. I do wish it could handle e-mails with larger files. Desktop notification would be a great addon.

HC

Helen C.

Construction, 51-200 employees

Good for daily use

I am happy with the service, and would like to continue purchasing this service.

Pros

I enjoy the most is the filing style in Outlook is kept in Zimbra. I am an Outlook user, and I have several folders for storing the emails with project name filters. These filing ways are saved, and can be seen in Zimbra the website.

Cons

If the auto-filing options are available for the online services, that will help me out a lot. Currently, if I use the online services for a long period of time, the auto-filing option will be disabled.

Law Practice, 1-10 employees

Community Edition of Zimbra - High bar to jump but the price is right!

Experience has been good to excellent.

Pros

The open source nature of a sophisticated multi-node email server can't be matched. Free??? This is great.

Cons

There is a high technological bar. One must be conversant with LDAP and understand how to make that run to properly implement the server. It is not for the faint of heart technologically.

Rafael B.

Personally, I prefer Microsoft Exchange email, especially for the download of attachments.

It really has not brought me many benefits since they imposed it on me as an email at work. I much preferred the presentation and management that the hotmail had a few years ago.

Pros

The general presentation menu is quite friendly to the eye., as well as its versatility to be used in cell phones.

Cons

The tricky process associated with downloading attachments compared to emails such as gmail or firefox.

EM

Erik M.

Design, 51-200 employees

Zimbra - A Private Alternative to Outlook

I am very impressed by the simplicity and reliability of Zimbra Collaboration Suite. I love the security Zimbra offers while still having the same look and feel of other familiar email clients. My team and I use Zimbra for email and scheduling meetings. It is very easy to use and an easy switch for any team looking for a more private solution to large teams wanting to collaborate via email. The themes are also a very nice feature (I use Carbon).

Pros

Cons

I can't think of any cons. It is a very simple email and calendar management system.

LF

Luca F.

Computer & Network Security, self-employed

Used other for 2+ years

Easy to use and full of features

I used Zimbra in my previous company and I liked the suite very much because it offered almost anything you'd need from an on-premise mail server. It also had some extra features like its own cloud support to share documents and files amongst users. The paid version also came with the connector for Outlook allowing users keep using their standard mail client application. I never had any issue to configure my email account on my mobile phones either through the MS Exchange protocol compatibility. It also comes with a rich web interface. Now it should also integrate a chat/conference and a document collaboration features but they were not available yet when I was using Zimbra so I can't tell anything about them.

Pros

Easy for the users It has its own cloud-like file sharing feature It works on almost any kind of device through standalone clients or rich web client.

Cons

Being Linux based it might be a bit harder to set-up and configure for Microsoft oriented admins

YM

Yezid M.

Powerfull stable and integrated email platform

Pros

The Zimbra platform integrates open source apps in a very stable email application, Administration web gui is very complete and easy to use. Webmail client app is very complete for our users and customers.

Cons

Being a ver nice email application, at least the Network edition must be more compatible with platforms like MAC OS, this would be the point that make Zimbra to win users.

Chad J.

Higher Education, 10,001+ employees

Zimbra was Challenging to Use

Overall is was ok at the time. We made a much needed move to Mircosoft.

Pros

The desktop app was not bad, it did have some limitations. Syncing always seemed to take a while. It visually functions similar to outlook.

Cons

The add-ons and features were tricky to use. At the time, it did not have a mobile platform. The web version was clunky.

11-50 employees

Great program for non expensive web client

Pros

Great for company that does not want expensive email web client. Does everything you want in an email client. Never had system crash and is pretty decent.

Cons

Not an exchange. restriction list is a bit weird. not easy to migrate to a newer version. backups of emails is a bit difficult.

Financial Services, 51-200 employees

Good collaboration suite

Pros

- searching is great (as I remember it can search even inside archives) - good localization - intuitive UI/UX

Cons

- complicated backup flow - lack of mails management rules - lack of features in the mobile version

Building Materials, 201-500 employees

It gets the job done

I use it as a mailing service in the company, it was hard at the beginning but you get used to it.

Pros

Well, I believe that the most likable thing about this software it's the economic side, you can manage your mail like any other but in a cheaper way.

Cons

You can miss some features that have other mailing services, you get used to, but it's not that smooth.

Graphic Design, 1-10 employees

Email but a lot more

Pros

Fast webmail, email functionality works great, Clean interface and easy to use. Also has the calendar and portfolio features which is great addons.

Cons

Search function in email can be a bit limited.

AI

Alejandro Isaac P.

Telecommunications, 1,001-5,000 employees

Excellent option as Mail Server and Collaboration Suite

Zimbra work fantastic, is very stable and well suited for relays server. we used to send the bill to all the clients and work well

Pros

The cost is one of the pros of Zimbra, specially if you need only the mail server. Also, the cost if the licenses is cheaper than other options like Exchange.The support is excellent, specially from Zimbra's community and you can find examples or help in case you need do a troubleshooting

Cons

If you have other tools from MS suite the integration is complicated, not impossible but is quite difficult integrate you will need to do a research and for sure develop a connector.

Sujith K.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

User friendly and economical suite for business needs

Pros

The best thing that you would like to have in the suite it is email interface. It is so user friendly and loaded with all the features that you might find it hard to have among other suites. You can Import your email history, organize your historical and present data with filters and set-up meeting slots with just one click.

Cons

Haven't tried any apart form this , so it won;t be justice to add my remarks to this

TK

Tigran K.

Financial Services, 11-50 employees

Typical email interface

I think it is fine. Similar functionality to the Google suit.

Pros

I liked the fact that one can run it on a browser, making it compatible with any operating system. Email categorization with folders makes it easier to organize correspondence than Google mail.

Cons

It is somewhat unpolished and could produce strange from-end errors, but besides that there is not much to complain.

Rene M.

E-Learning, 501-1,000 employees

The new version of Zimbra is the best and most complete tool for emails

It is a good software to connect to the equipment through group chats, where even the creation of channels based on videoconferences is allowed. In addition, it can be used to share documents online. It is also recommended to synchronize and store all the information of our work through its own cloud, Zimbra Drive.

Pros

Zimbra is an open source software that only needs a server within GNU or Linux to fully deploy. Version 8.8.15 of ximbra collaboration is much broader in terms of mobility for calendars and events in general.

Cons

The zimbra suite does not have many key functions for working with document editions directly in real time, or for the execution of discussion forums among our team employees. Nor does it include a labeling system through social media.

LB

Laura B.

Consumer Services, 201-500 employees

Zimbra Email software review

Pros

I love the ease of use of zimbra. Flawless and functional.

Cons

I wish there was a mobile app so that I can check my work emails on the go.

Telecommunications, 1,001-5,000 employees

Excellent Exchange alternative

Pros

Ability to mimic Exchange perfectly (even Outlook thinks this is Exchange)

Cons

You need very good support for complex deployment

MS

Morgan S.

Construction, 51-200 employees

Work email

Pros

Easy to use, and can organize your email very well because it’s a basic software

Cons

That it’s a pretty basic email, can’t do too much with it.