AutoSpecs Reviews

4.22/5 (23 reviews)

Pros
  • its ability to produce a resistery quickly
  • Being able to see what submittals are required.
  • It saves time and allows production to increase in a job.
  • Read all the documents for me. Pumped out a list of them.
Cons
  • I have nothing bad to say about Pype.
  • Its connectivity to other software suites.
  • It picked up items that were not necessarily submittal items.
  • It can be difficult to understand it and get people to use it,
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
Migle Varkalaite

Time Saver!

Reviewed 2019-04-05

To be completely honest, I was absolutely stunned when I fist was introduced to the program by my Project Manager. Pype fills an incredible need in the construction industry and has improved the overall quality and time spent for specification review on our project. I look forward to continue implementing this program to its full potential in future projects and further explore its capabilities.

Pros
It is incredible how much time this saves in reviewing project specifications. This program has helped our team immensely in identifying project requirements effectively and quickly.

Cons
There are many beneficial tools to this program, however, there is some training required right off the ground in learning to use this program. This is not necessarily a con but is the toughest aspect I can think of regarding Pype.

Response from Pype

Thanks for your great review, Migle! We're glad to hear your team is saving time and improving the quality of your submittal log using AutoSpecs. We are looking into additional training resources and updating the UI (coming soon!) to make on-boarding even easier for new users. If you have any specific feedback for future iterations of AutoSpecs, please reach out to us at support@pype.io.

Review from a FE/PE

Used occasionally for 6-12 months
Reviewed 2019-04-08

AutoSpec has been great! Looking forward to using this program on other projects and watch it develop.

Pros
AutoSpecs is great at organizing any and all submittals found in the specifications. It is easy to import/export and integrate into other systems like Procore. It reduces the time and increases the validity that you are requesting what is required per the specs.

Cons
There are few features that would improve AutoSpecs (some that are being worked on currently). For instances, being able to save filters and export those specific files would be a great benefit. Additionally, being able to "mass edit" files would be a great advancement. Coming from a complicated project with multiple phases, I had to edit the specification to include a prefix which made AutoSpec not read everything correctly. Also, AutoSpecs reads item types per what is required instead of their submittal type: i.e. acition and information schedule vs. shop drawings and schedule.

Response from Pype

Thanks for the feedback! We're glad to hear you enjoy using AutoSpecs. You're right - we're constantly working on enhancing our features, and we recently added the ability to save filters and export your register based on them. Feedback is an important part of future iterations, and we'd love to hear more about your "mass edit" suggestion and further filtering abilities. Please get in touch with us at support@pype.io.

Elliott Jusino

Sure Buy for Consultants/Representatives

Reviewed 2019-04-05

AutoSpecs is great for Preconstruction and subcontract formulation. It’s ease of use and features also allow concise and quick scope development. Active Construction use is non existent unless major changes are issued to the specifications during the course of a project.

Pros
The accuracy of extracted information is phenomenal. The ability to sort, filter, combine, and delete content exceeds any competitor product. Finally, the import capabilities with fellow softwares such as Bluebeam, Procore, etc is beneficial for any company.

Cons
A first time user will require training in order to fully take advantage of the product in relation to cost. User to user capability and sharing within your own company increases cost. Software also eliminates an intern, project engineer’s, and/ project management assistant’s understanding and comprehension of the specifications due to pre-extracted information. Finally, virtually useless post Preconstruction. High price for a short operation.

Response from Pype

Thank you for the feedback, Elliot! We're glad to hear you found such value using AutoSpecs during Preconstruction. To ensure that first time users get the most out of our technology, we will soon be introducing in-app on-boarding for convenient training according to any individual's schedule. The SpecView feature is designed for interns, PEs, and APMs to spend time reviewing and understanding the specs instead of keyword searching for them, and we welcome any specific feedback you have on how we can improve it to enhance user comprehension. Regarding sharing concerns, this is not typically an added cost; please reach out to us to discuss at support@pype.io or call 855-910-7137.

Likelihood to recommend: 6/10

ben durham

pype use

Reviewed 2019-04-08

It seems to have the same result. no one seems to understand how to use it/get multiple users to use it efficiently.

Pros
its ability to produce a resistery quickly

Cons
working in the program. I seems like extra work because of all the data it produced. I may be because I don't know the program well enough.

Response from Pype

Thanks for the feedback, Ben! By design, AutoSpecs identifies all of the data needed during the project, including items that are not submittals (e.g. Test & Inspections, QA/QC data, etc.). Using filters can help sort through and identify only the data you need at a certain time. We would be more than happy to help familiarize you and your team with this and other features of AutoSpecs. Please reach out to us at support@pype.io or call 855-910-7137.

Likelihood to recommend: 6/10

Francis Bergford

Time and money saver

Reviewed 2019-04-05

This is the greatest software since sliced bread! You save time and money and can focus your efforts on the coordination of sub contractors and building the project

Pros
What used to take weeks creating a submittal register, now takes minutes after you upload the spec. It is more accurate and takes human error out of the equation.

Cons
I have nothing bad to say about Pype.

Response from Pype

Thanks for your great review, Francis! We're so glad to hear that AutoSpecs is saving your team money, increasing accuracy, and helping you reallocate time to what's most important - building!

Inman Inman

Great for compiling information

Reviewed 2019-04-05

Good for time saving, but need to figure out a way to have your export be more direct/closer to you actual submittal log.

Pros
Takes the tediousness out of creating a submittal log. Also allows you to have the exact wording from the specs shown on your submittal log.

Cons
Gives too much information. Takes a long time to sort down to the nuts and bolts of what is actually required once you have your export from the program.

Response from Pype

Thanks for the feedback, Inman! By design, AutoSpecs identifies all of the data needed during the project, including items that are not submittals (e.g. Test & Inspections, QA/QC data, etc.). Using filters can help sort through and identify only the data you need at a certain time. We would be more than happy to help familiarize you with this feature, as well as hear specific feedback as to what you would find most useful in future iterations of our technology. Please let us know at support@pype.io or call us at 855-910-7137.

Moises Lagos

Value To my Project

Reviewed 2019-04-05

Currently I'm working on the pre-construction phase of a 28 story building; hence, there are a lot of design changes and different iterations of the Spec. With AutoSpecs I've been able to export logs with easement and have been able to identify the changes in requirements. Overall, it has made my job more efficient.

Pros
The software in general is easy to use and the interface is very user friendly. It saves me a lot of time when creating logs and it also saves me when I need to run quick reports for the owner.

Cons
No complains so far. I guess the only errors I've found have been human errors on my end.

Response from Pype

Thanks for your feedback, Moises. We're glad that AutoSpecs is adding efficiency to your job!

Kevin McGuire

A good solution if you don't need to go crazy with customization

Used occasionally for 6-12 months
Reviewed 2019-04-05

Got the job done very well and quickly but customizing wasn't very intuitive, needed customer service help to really do anything above and beyond standard spec processing

Pros
The customer service attentiveness was great with phone call and email support being well above average. The uploading of specs was straight forward and when it spit out your submittal log it worked well

Cons
Customizing the submittal log to better suit a company template or standard wasn't very straight forward and left me scratching my head a bit.

Response from Pype

Thank you for your feedback, Kevin! We strive to always provide excellent customer support. Our team is able to create custom exports to match company standards, cutting down the changes you need to manually make to your submittal log within AutoSpecs. Please reach out to support@pype.io or call 855-910-7137 and we'll be happy to work on that for you!

Ryan Taylor

Pype Autospecs for a useful Submittal Registry

Reviewed 2019-04-05

Overall, I would recommend the program. It saved some time and if you are to have many, many rounds of specifications in a Design Build scenario, I imagine that it would save even more and provide an extra layer of functionality.

Pros
Autospecs greatly helped with the initial setup of the Submittal Registry. This took a lot of time out of the development of the register and saved me countless hours of effort.

Cons
The reduction in effort taken into account, there was still a great amount of effort put forth to tackle the full register for our project. Whether that is because our register is more comprehensive than typical, or otherwise, it could have been easier to manipulate what we wanted to be able to get specifically.

Response from Pype

Thanks for your feedback, Ryan! We're happy to hear that AutoSpecs saved you so much time. We strive to provide useful filtering options that enable you to quickly access the information you need. If you have specific feedback on additional filtering capabilities you would like to see, please reach out to us at support@pype.io so our team can take it into consideration toward future iterations of AutoSpecs.

Ryder McGough

A Quick Jumpstart

Used occasionally for free trial
Reviewed 2019-04-05

Pros
The ease of scrubbing the specs was the nicest part of the software - no more countless hours of transferring data.

Cons
While it scrubs the specs and pulls everything out, the list was too vast to be useful. We had to go back through the generated list to simplify the list and make it functional. It was still time consuming, but less than scrubbing the specs would be.

Response from Pype

Thank you for your feedback, Ryder! We are always striving to improve our products based on user feedback, including adding more filtering options to make parsing through the submittal log easier. If you have ideas or suggestions on how we can improve on this feature, please let us know at support@pype.io or call 855-910-7137.

Charlesha Simmons

Quick Output, Deeper Review

Reviewed 2019-04-05

Overall, it allows the construction team to quickly get information out to the subcontractors in a such fast pace work environment. A lot of times you can glaze over something and not realize the importance of every ounce of information within the specifications.

Pros
I love the fact that I can identify quickly the important submittals via the specifications. This process also allows me to get this information quickly to my subcontractors. After issuing, it allows me time to familiarize myself with the requirements.

Cons
It outputs exactly what it sees. When exporting to excel, it has weird breaks and formats.

Response from Pype

Thanks for the review, Charlesha! We're glad you found success in getting information to your subcontractors quickly and effectively. If the formatting issue persists, please let us know at support@pype.io or call 855-910-7137 and we'll try to sort it out for you.

Kyle Kiifner

Quality Management Tool

Reviewed 2019-04-17

The product has helped me save time and is a positive. I encourage people to utilize this tool but I also want to ensure it doesn't become an "easy" button so that we don't miss key information that it may potentially miss. A lot of contracts don't always put all submittal requirements in the actual submittal section of the specification.

Pros
Saves me a lot of time finding key information and presents it in multiple filtered formats.

Cons
The product cannot identify requirements in local government specifications such as DOT's. With that, I find myself needing to still do a fairly thorough review of the contract documents to obtain the information I seek. Additionally, it picks up on some text that mentions a key text but is ultimately unrelated to what I truly need, so I do have to filter through a lot of additional text.

Time Saver

Reviewed 2019-04-05

Can I say , I love it. The time this software has saved me and my team has been countless of hours. Best thing that could have even been invented.

Pros
There are so many things that are great with this software. But what I like the most is how user friendly it is. There is no need for a lot of training to start using it to its full potential.

Cons
Wow this is a though one. IF I would have to say something it would probably be the word transfer. Sometimes it adds spaces and indentations that are not really there. But this is not really a huge problem.

Response from Pype

Thanks for your great review! We're glad to hear that using AutoSpecs has saved you and your team so much time.

Frank Johnson

My Pype Experience

Reviewed 2019-04-05

Great. It got all out from the Specs. Just needed to add additonal submittals owner wanted that were not in the specs.

Pros
Read all the documents for me. Pumped out a list of them.

Cons
Still not a smooth transition from Pype to Procore to use. Honestly, I have more of a problem with Procore than Pype. Procore does not let you make numerous edits quickly (like you could in an excel sheet).

Response from Pype

Thank you for your review, Frank. We are actively innovating and improving our integrations, and feedback like this is helpful for us to continue to improve. If there are any specific issues you are facing, please reach out to our support team at support@pype.io or 855-910-7137 and we'll be happy to help.

Jonathan Davis

Quick and Easy to pick up

Reviewed 2019-04-05

Very beneficial and a great time saver. Would recommend.

Pros
I am using the software to create a submittal log from specifications. It picked up most of the items needed and took maybe 5 minutes instead of taking the week to go through and create each item.

Cons
It picked up items that were not necessarily submittal items.

Response from Pype

Thanks for your review, Jonathan! You're correct - by design, AutoSpecs also identifies items that are not submittals (e.g. Test & Inspections, QA/QC data, etc.). Using filters can help sort through and identify only the data pertinent to your role. If you would like to learn more about using filters, please reach out to us at support@pype.io and we'll be happy to help!

Dustin Hagemann

AutoSpecs Review

Reviewed 2019-04-17

I have just started using Autospecs but I am already seeing the benefits of the software. I look forward to future updates as the system becomes more refined.

Pros
AutoSpecs performs the bulk of the legwork for creating a submittal log. Cuts out a lot of tedious time.

Cons
The created log isn't perfect. The user still has to review the exported information and make a few fixes. Still worth the time saved.

Response from Pype

Thanks for your review, Dustin! We're glad to hear you are enjoying using AutoSpecs. Feedback is an important part of future product iterations, so please get in touch with us at support@pype.io if you have any suggestions.

Jimmy Kaczmarek

Easiest way to create a submittal register

Construction Management

Pros
The system is very quick in terms of uploading and exporting information. The filters that are built in are very useful. Saves hours at a minimum and days in some instances.

Cons
The first time using the software can feel a bit overwhelming. Some of the information exported is not useful and requires some additional work before the register is presentable.

Response from Pype

Thanks for your review, Jimmy! To ensure that first time users feel guided through our technology, we will soon be introducing in-app on-boarding for convenient training according to any individual's schedule. It's great to hear that you're saving time using filters! We are actively evaluating ways that project teams can pare down information quickly and easily, and we welcome any specific feedback on features we can add or improve - please let us know at support@pype.io.

New project engineer

Reviewed 2019-04-05

Pros
Autopopulating specifications is a huge time saver, especially for creating closeout logs and reviewing submittals.

Cons
Not sure of any much extra functionality. It seems like just a quicker way to bookmark sections for a specbook

Response from Pype

Thanks for your feedback! We're glad to hear that using AutoSpecs has saved you time. To explore additional features, please visit our tutorials at http://help.pype.io/ or contact us at support@pype.io.

Behroz Fazelpoor

Love it for Creating Submittal register

Reviewed 2019-04-05

Pros
Love it for Creating Submittal register, specially with customization to match Procore.

Cons
At start some functions were not matching the Procore but once get in touch with help they did great job take care of the issue.

Response from Pype

Thank you for your feedback, Behroz! Please reach back out to us at support@pype.io with anything else you have questions about.

Amy Trevisan

Easily Generate a Submittal Log

Reviewed 2019-04-05

Pros
Being able to generate a complete and comprehensive submittal log in minutes. There are also many filter features that can be used to customize and view each type of submittal.

Cons
Being able to develop the log into a standard that is specific to the general contractor and/or owner.

Response from Pype

Thanks for your review, Amy! We're glad you are using the filters to sort through submittals. Our team is able to create custom submittal log exports to match your company or owner standards, so please reach out to us at support@pype.io or call 855-910-7137 and we'll be happy to work on that for you!

Adam Christensen

Pype for the win!

Reviewed 2019-04-05

Pros
Ease of use and thorough processing. This software saved me so much time.

Cons
No complaints that I can think of. Maybe just the fact that it is yet another software to have to use.

Response from Pype

Thanks for your great review, Adam!

juan herrera

Great Product

Used monthly for free trial
Reviewed 2019-04-05

Pros
It saves time and allows production to increase in a job.

Cons
It can be difficult to understand it and get people to use it,

Response from Pype

Thank you for your feedback, Juan! If there is anything we can do to help your or others your work with feel more comfortable using AutoSpecs, please reach out to us at support@pype.io.

Grant Apkarian

First Review

Reviewed 2019-04-08

Pros
Being able to see what submittals are required.

Cons
Its connectivity to other software suites.

Response from Pype

Thanks for your review, Grant. As of right now we have API integrations with Procore, BIM360, and Bluebeam. We have custom export capabilties for many PM Softwares such as Kahua, Prolog, and StratusVue. If you have suggestions on other integrations Pype should explore or improve on, please let us know at support@pype.io or call 855-910-7137.