Buildup Reviews

4.49/5 (35 reviews)

Anonymous

Phenomenal tool for tracking punch work but brutally cumbersome/rigid when crafting reports or

Reviewed 2018-03-01

It is a great app for tracking punch work across projects.

Pros
Buildup is an extremely effective tool when using its app to record and track the completion of punch work. It very easily allows you to mark an issue, take a photo, categorize details and then follow up with a photo once the issue has been addressed. I primarily use the app to keep track of punch list items on a large-scale construction project as these items can add up to the hundreds/thousands. It is also easy to retitle, move, or duplicate issues from different buildings or crews. this is a wonderful app but in the sense that it streamlines the punch process.

Cons
Buildup would be far more useful if everything could be done from the phone. This application is unbelievably cumbersome. To be more plain about it. The app is great for recording information but completely horrible for doing anything with that info. You can't add or edit brackets from your phone ie: buildings/units/etc.. You cannot mark degrees of progress on issues. you can only mark if it was completed. The website is brutal. Information does not seem to always show up in a consistent format. Once you log in, the website opens with a breakdown of data. This would be great but the breakdown is not customizable so It's unhelpful in understanding my issues. The greatest thorn to the app is that it is not helpful is doing anything with the data. Reports are not customizable. They are good for telling crews where and what issues need to be addressed. They are not good for reporting or presenting to clients what is going on during the project/punch process. You can't shift the columns around. Photos are not enlargeable on reports. You cannot select the specific info you want on the reports. You can't even export the info into excel or word so that you can make your own report. I have often needed to go back to re-record entire buildings worth of items just so that I could make a report with the exact information already in buildup.

Response from Buildup

Thanks for your feedback and review, and for mentioning how it helps you easily keep track of punch list items on a large-scale construction project.

We have shared your comments and feedback with our development team. We use such feedback to continually improve our product for our users.

Likelihood to recommend: 5/10

Anita Godwin

Teams preferred choice in Punch Tool

Reviewed 2019-08-16

Overall it's the tool that is preferred by our filed teams creating punch items.

Pros
Buildup is an easy to use very effective tool to record and track punch work.

Cons
Creating reports is extremely difficult. It's a great tool for in-field punch items but office administration of the information collected is difficult manage.

Response from Buildup

Thank you for your feedback! Updating our executive reporting is a high priority on our development list. We hope to incorporate this soon and will be reaching out to receive your input on reporting.

Tyler Shellenberg

Buildup is a great tool to collaborate in real-time across a large project.

Reviewed 2018-02-23

It is speeding up our closeout, extensively documenting deficiencies in the field so they can be fixed, and shrinking the size of our punch list.

Pros
Easy to use in the field, the mobile app is great. Issues are easy to accurately identify. You can show where the issue is by unit, drop a pin, and take a photo to help communicate what you are seeing in the field. Data processing is easy with many filtering options, commenting capability on every issue, and the approval process between the Subcontractor, GC, and Consultants.

Cons
The filtering options are great, but custom reports could be better. This would make architects, engineers, and consultants like the app much more. Tracking general/recurring issues could be better. The list gets cluttered quickly when adding issues to many units at a time. The notifications can't be customized very much. Most people on site don't look at the general emailed reports.

Response from Buildup

Hello Tyler,

Thanks for the review and the feedback. We are actually already developing more options for custom reports. I have also forwarded your feedback to the development team as we are constantly looking for ways to improve and provide more value. We will continue to keep you posted on new features and developments.

BuildUp Review

Reviewed 2019-09-23

Pros
I love the ease of use and the buildup team. I was able to give them all the drawings and directory I wanted on the software, they uploaded it immediately and I was able to begin punchlisting items for all of my trades. The software is easy to use and I enjoy being able to pin locations directly on the plans on my phone and tablet.

Cons
There were times items were not loading or people were having issues wherein they could not find the plans. However, we were able to get this resolved with the Support team as they were very responsive and helpful.

Response from Buildup

Thank you very much for your feedback! Our team is hard at work fixing the loading issues. Please let us know if you have further feedback to share.

Dan Milinazzo

Great potential to become a regular tool in project management.

Used monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed 2018-03-01

We primarily used this for Punchlist work on construction projects. As a punchlist tool, it compares favorably to some of the other programs that are either way too restrictive or way too detailed an resource heavy (like a BIM360). This is a great core product with a bright future.

Pros
I love the ability to keep a live punchlist on a project that is able to be shared among my team. It is helpful to know I can go in and see that one of my team members has already addressed an issue and I have the photo backup to prove it was completed correctly. The ability to set and adjust deadlines is also very beneficial so all parties know the expectation. You can set a standard timeframe of "7 days to complete" once entered into the system and no matter when you document the issue the due date automatically adjusts to 7 days out. The user interface (UI) is neat on the app. The ability to apply a single issue to numerous project locations and/or crews is helpful in saving data entry time. Customer service was attentive to my issues and informed me that my feedback hit on several items that were in production for an update rollout. They seemed very genuine and I look forward to those minor adjustments.

Cons
Ultimately it is hard to share with less tech savvy crews, and the lack of ability to remove or edit a photo attached to an issue while inside the mobile app is frustrating because sometimes you choose the wrong image (a feature Customer Service confirmed was in production). It would also be nice if the photos, when taken, were also stored locally on my phone (even if at a lesser resolution) just to have a local reference in lieu of having to go back to the app to view it. When providing punchlists to less tech savvy crews we have to resort to a printed format. However, the various "printed" formats of the punchlist either make the photos too small to be beneficial or include more data columns than the crew needs which just wastes paper space. Being able to customize a printed "issues report" would be a neat feature in the future. The crews really benefit from seeing the issue, reading the description of the issue, and knowing which part of the project is it on that is where the focus of a printed report needs to be. The UI has a little more room for improvement.

Response from Buildup

Hello Dan,

Thanks for your feedback. And thanks for mentioning how you love having the ability to keep a live punch list on a project.

We have shared your comments with the development team. We are working on the customized reports and a new UI for the mobile app. As always, feel free to share any other feedback through support@buildup.co.

Brian Carro

While in the beginning Buildup was a bit buggy and laggy, it has since changed and very useful.

Reviewed 2018-02-22

Didn't have to hand write deficiency list for contractors. Easily track open items. Has a history so you can back track if needed.

Pros
Easily tracks punch items. Filters makes selecting contractors easy. Photo documenting is a great feature. Sending a deficiency list is very easy.

Cons
Can kill a battery pretty fast. At times force closures can be annoying. Sometimes the camera won't activate. Easy for trades to falsify corrected items.

Response from Buildup

Hi Brian,

Thank you for the review and the feedback! I have forwarded your feedback to the development team and we are always finding ways to improve the experience. As always, the next time you encounter any issue, please feel free to reach out to support@buildup.co and we will be on it.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Anthony Acevedo

Love it for punching out and all of my subcontractors love it to

Reviewed 2018-03-01

Pros
User-friendly all of my subcontractors get emailed on a daily basis also they can find the area very easy by looking at the picture very simple to print out for some of the subcontractors that do not want to download it on their phone

Response from Buildup

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for your feedback and for mentioning how much your subs love it. We continue to strive to make it as user friendly for all project stakeholders. As always, feel free to shoot us any additional feedback and/or product feature suggestions at support@buildup.co.

Christopher Golden

Simple interface for entering items. Simple to use in field for creating lists. Needs Refinement.

manage punchlist easier

Pros
I like the ability to take pics and input tasks in in the field, and that info is immediately available. Through the browser , searching and filtering tasks are easily done, and printing reports can be done quickly through the browser, though there is no option for mobile printing . The concept is great and it has fell into regular use with my company.

Cons
There a few items that could be addressed to make this app even better. The biggest issue that I have when using the Buildup is that it seems to have sketchy web connectivity. Sorting and filtering works fantastic, but it can be a bit clunky while it refreshes. : The ability to edit how the printable forms are displayed would be great as well. We rely heavily on the pictures that we take, but when we print up the reports it can be a blittle hard to see what the item actually is. Also the ability to both capture Before and after pictures, as well as display before and after pictures by choice would be great. The ability to add AREAS, UNITS, etc., from mobile should be made available. Printing from mobile as well.

Response from Buildup

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for the review. And thanks for giving us 5 starts on customer support -- we work hard to provide the best support for our users.

We are continually working to improve product performance and are also developing a new version of customized reports.

I have forwarded your other comments and feedback to the product development team. As always, feel free to contact us at support@buildup.co.

Likelihood to recommend: 6/10

Donigan Towers

Very easy to use this software. Really saves time because the items are sent to subcontractors

Reviewed 2018-03-01

Pros
Easy to use and pinpoint exactly where the issues exist. Subcontractors are updated daily. Easy to review and close out items.

Cons
There is sometimes issues with viewing pictures when not connected to WiFi. There is sometimes an issue with the app lagging when using without a WiFi connection.

Response from Buildup

Hi Donigan,

Thanks so much for your review and feedback, and for mentioning how it really saves you time and how it helps with your collaboration with subs. As always feel free to shoot us a note at support@buildup.co for any other comments.

Rosilo Castro

Build up Review for Savoy on the Park

Reviewed 2019-02-26

Working with build up was a great experience. It allowed me to finish punching units a lot faster than plagrid and also was able to connect me with trades via phone thru the app on completion of items. It was great that I did not have to send report after I punch a certain amount of units and instead it automatically was sent upon completion of each punched item

Pros
Very easy to use, saved time punching units

Cons
It would freeze up at times and also could not open the app at times.

Response from Buildup

Hi Rosilo!
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your comments! We appreciate it. We strive to provide an easy and productive experience.
Pease feel free to reach out to support@buildup.co if you have any more feedback you'd like to share.

moshe amsel

finishing touches

Reviewed 2019-02-13

i think it saves the phone call between vendors and really in the end it saves time and money

Pros
i like it that there are different sections for different tasks and locations. very user friendly.

Cons
if there is one thing that i dont like is.

Response from Buildup

Hi Moshe!
Thank you for taking the time to write a review!
We have shared your comments and feedback to the development team as we are constantly looking for ways to improve and provide more value to our users.

Alberto Gomez

Feedback

Reviewed 2019-02-26

This has been helpful in knowing what trades are not performing in. the filter option was amazing if there were a lot of outstanding items, because I could just print it and give it to the trades and tell them to get it done.

Pros
The ease of Use. I am glad the Buildup team help set up everything in the beginning and therefore, all i had to worry about was creating the tasks for the trades to complete. It saved a lot of money on my end and that in itself is worth alot.

Cons
There are times photos or pictures would not load if i was in a building. I think if there was an option to have an "offline" mode where you can download all pictures and files before you go in a building, it would be helpful.

Response from Buildup

Hi Alberto!
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback, as we are always searching ways to improve the user experience.
Offline Mode is a feature we are currently working on, and I would be happy to contact you when it is released.
If you have any additional comments, please feel free to reach out to support@buildup.co

William Hodgens

One of the easiest ways to do your punch list.

Reviewed 2018-02-26

Pros
You can attach pics to your punch list. How easy it is to send emails to your subcontractors. It's easy for our subs to understand. How there are not a lot of items to pull up to do the punch list. Pull up the building, the unit and start typing and taking pics.

Response from Buildup

Hi William,

Thanks for the review and the feedback. As always, feel free to send us any other comments at support@buildup.co. Always great to hear from you!

Brandon Martin

Easy Tasking

Reviewed 2019-10-01

I'm solving delays in the follow up process and putting all communication into one place to prevent misinformation.

Pros
The software is easy to use on the phone, tablet or using their website. It also addresses all of the biggest concerns/issues that i have with other punchlist apps because it allows you to assigned trades in sequence.

Cons
I often like to add the tasks on my phone while i'm walking around, but then finalize the info once i get back to the office since i can type faster on my laptop. The issue with this is that i can't complete the process by adding people in sequence if i'm using the online version.

Response from Buildup

Thanks for the review Martin! We're working to update the sequences feature with a few different changes. We appreciate the feedback!

Anonymous

It does exactly what you need it to

Reviewed 2019-09-24

We tried many ways to document and track punch list items during the commissioning process. This is by far the easiest to use. Works the same on all devices.

Pros
This software is extremely easy to use. It allows for quick documentation of items requiring corrective action with photos, markups, plans, and notes tied direct to the item. Add a punch item in seconds. Assign it to the responsible party and track it throughout its completion. Everyone is on the same page.

Cons
There are no significant drawbacks to this software.

Response from Buildup

Thank you very much for your feedback! Please let us know about any further ideas you might have for future development.

scott barnett

great

Reviewed 2018-03-05

Stated previously

Pros
After using this program on our last project and ironing out bugs we found this to be a great way to compile,manage,and track all of our list and issues as well as it aided our contractors and their ability to finish their work completely and document it as well.

Cons
Speech recognition could use some fine-tuning

Mike DeAngelo

After the initial hiccups, Great.

Used monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed 2018-02-26

Pros
Ease of use. Like anything, it takes a little to get used to, but once you are familiar with app, very user friendly. You are able to go to desktop version and edit or add/deduct different options to tailor to your needs. I love to be able to take photos and mark them up to better show issues.

Cons
Not so much an active issue, but early on program had a lot of bugs that needed to be worked out. There was several times where we had to get support due to app freezing and shutting down while in use, but those have since been addressed and program is great.

Response from Buildup

Hi Mike,

Thanks so much for the review and the feedback. We are constantly looking for ways to improve and add value, so thanks for mentioning that your previous issues with the app have sine been resolved. As always, please feel free to send us any other comments and feedback at support@buildup.co.

Art Miraflor

Construction QC Manager

Reviewed 2019-02-26

Well mainly, using this program vs doing it the old fashion way by paper, in it's self is a huge benefit.

Pros
One thing I like is that have App updates, to keep the program running smooth and current, also it fixes bugs.

Cons
Every once in a while, there might be a glitch, but it's usually fix asap.

Response from Buildup

Hi Art!
We appreciate you taking the time to leave us your comments.

Scott Williams

Great App that is being fine tuned

Reviewed 2019-02-26

Pros
Ease of tracking/ time stamping/ with photo capability. Help managers and trades be held accountable by who/what/when/where process. Great app overall for managing at all levels.

Cons
Sometime sluggish interface/ freezing screen. Some syncing issues between apps on a couple devices. Easy growing pains that are being addressed promptly though.

Response from Buildup

Hey Scott!
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. We appreciate it! I have forwarded your comments to the development team, as we are always finding ways to improve the user experience.

Allan Cratsenberg

Reviewed 2019-02-13

My overall experience has been very good. The app is a great tool and reminder for punch list items.

Pros
I like that the app saves, sends out, and reminds crews that a punch list item needs to fixed or be resolved in the set amount of time.

Cons
I dislike that you cannot delete any activities once they are marked in the app.

Response from Buildup

Hi Allan!
Thank you for taking the time to write a review!

We have shared your comments and feedback about deleting activities to the development team. We are constantly looking for ways to improve and provide more value to our users.

Thank you!

Jason Bowden

it was very difficult and slow to use. This was our Client's software and they had same experience.

Reviewed 2018-02-26

Pros
The ability to insert photos into line items while writing the deficiency. The ability to view the deficiency online and be able to sort reports easily.

Cons
The interface can be slow and cumbersome. It will save things when you don't want to save and not save things when you need to save, causing it to lose the line item. It had a tendency to lock up quite often as well, or lose the internet connectivity.

Response from Buildup

Hi Jason,
Thanks for your review and feedback, and for mentioning how you like the ability to view the deficiencies online and to be able to sort reports easily.

We also noticed that you have not used the app since October. There have been major updates and changes since, specifically on app performance and stability. We encourage you to try again. As always feel free to send us any other feedback or comments at support@buildup.co

Likelihood to recommend: 5/10

Jason Bohannon

Buildup is easy to navigate, creates punch lists in record time.

Used monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed 2018-03-05

Pros
Generates a punch list with pictures that's accurate. Easy to monitor trades response to issues. Close out process is simple with acceptance signatures and printing capability.

Cons
Nothing! App does drain the batteries on mobile devices quickly, therefore I carry backup batteries.

Response from Buildup

Hello Jason,

Thanks so much for your feedback and for giving us 5 stars for ease of use. We work hard to make sure that users of Buildup will not have difficulty in using our app.

I have forwarded your comment on how fast it drains batteries to our development team. As always, for any other comments or feedback, please feel free to shoot us a note at support@buildup.co.

Thanks.

Jean

Derek Sweet

Buildup has allowed my construction team and I accurately track issues and close out items.

Used monthly for 1-2 years
Reviewed 2018-02-22

It makes the punch-out process and inspection process easy, especially for someone who has to climb ladders and roofs while carrying a tool to do the inspections.

Pros
I love the ease of use when logging an issue in Buildup from the initial description of the issue to the photo of the issue. Its just so easy. It actaully makes it enjoyable to go out and perform a punchlist without having to worry about carrying around pen and paper while climbing roods and ladders.

Cons
Perhaps if there was a more intuitive way to assign a universal issue to a number of buildings or parts of a construction project.

Response from Buildup

Hi Derek,

Thanks for the review and for the feedback! We are in the process of building a feature where you can assign a universal issue to a number of buildings at the same time. We will keep you posted.

Joe Hirschmann

Build up

Reviewed 2019-02-13

The overall experience has been awesome so far, great app.

Pros
Easy to manage and control punch list items.

Cons
I don’t like that you can not delete activities even if they were a mistake.

Response from Buildup

Hi Joe!
Thank you for taking the time to write a review!
We have shared your comments and feedback to the development team as we are constantly looking for ways to improve and provide more value.

Mato Tomić

Reviewed 2018-09-12

Pros
simplicity of writing and sending to my subcontractors and forwarding to superiors, I like to enter the photo in the text to explain the text with the picture myself

Cons
Once disobedient, it fights online where I have a perfect relationship but I hope these are very small issues