All categories

Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate Reviews

please with software

Pros

I have been using the software for almost 20 years. As we learn more, we realize the software is capable of doing so much, but our knowledge is limited. We use all of the accounting modules and are happy with the ease of use for all users, even new ones. We use the inquiries and customize them to get information from live data. We like that we can pull our data out and use in Excel and Access.

Cons

Two users can not be accessing a bank account at one time. Our AP users and reconciler have to communicate before checks are printed to make sure no one else is accessing the bank in the software. Education is the key to learning the software. We have joined TUG, the Users Group. This group is made up of end users sharing their knowledge and experiences in a teaching/conference format.

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate your business and look forward to helping drive your continued success in construction and real estate.

Timberline Customer Support

We are a $30M A&E/Construction company.

Pros

Decent functionality once you get it working. Price to function seems good. I have a hard time saying anything else good. If you can live with the cost of frustration, you will probably eventually say its worth it. I've used it for 10 years!

Cons

Sage provides almost "ZERO" support. Don't let them lie to you. I have used this product for over 10 years and my level of frustration remains very high. They will not support you after the software/conversion is done. You get pushed to a very few, custom Crystal Report writers who are incredibly overloaded. So all the promise of great dashboards, custom reports (which you have to have! For your own business!) is for naught. Just add 6 months to your process which is absolutely not an exaggeration. Let's just say it like it is. After the sale, Sage does not care about you.

Accurate and Reliable with Minor Drawbacks

The software does what you need it to do for daily accounting functions with minimal crashes or delays. However, the reporting function needs to be updated to a usable format so that it takes the end user less time to gain the information needed.

Pros

The software is very reliable and there are very few hiccups in day to day use. It's also very handy to have features such as: - Attaching documents/invoices to an AP or Journal Entry - Recurring journal entries - Project Coding

Cons

I find the interface layout to be a little archaic. It is not very modern in comparison to other accounting software. A troublesome area is when making entries in the General Ledger module, the entries are not reflected in the AP, Bank, or AR modules. However, making entries in the AP, Bank, or AR modules are transferred correctly in the GL. Lastly, the reports that are generated by Sage 300 can be put into Excel 97-2003 only. Furthermore, the reports are generated in a very complex manner with poor formatting and many merged cells. Trying to manipulate and sort data can take a long time. It would be very helpful to be able to search/filter through Sage by the invoice/document number. The only option to do this is to either export the data to Excel, or search by vendor.

Long time Sage user

I've been using Sage since it was Timberline and have, for the most part, been happy with it. We use it for all of our accounting needs along with purchasing and project management.

Pros

The system is very easy to use and understand. It's very flexible to meet the needs of many types of users.

Cons

The 3rd party modules can be a little difficult to navigate and do not have the flexibility that the other modules have. Aatrix is annoying and we have no choice but use it! The technical support seems to have gone down hill lately too. Trying to keep up with the changes since we are not officially notified when things change.

It Gets Easier

I previously had a love hate relationship with this program when I first used it in 2016, but I found out that was becasuse I wasn't properly trained on the functionality of the system. Now that I'm trained on it and had a few opportunities to pick the help desks brain I have found that it is really a great fit for the construction industry.

Pros

Once you get used to the format that everything is a drill-down task then it gets easier to use. This program probably intergrates the best especially for a multi-divisional company to have a single system that does everything, A/R, A/P, Contract Management, Payroll it's great.

Cons

There is a large learning curve going from any other system to this one it is different but it is capable.

Sage 300

I have always believed in the product. Enough that I worked as a consulting for 9 years.

Pros

I like the way that these modules cover most of the activities that I need. Reporting flexibility and program stability have always been good.

Cons

I would like to see scheduling features included, purchasing fully integrated, eventually cloud-based. I would like to be able to make g/l accounts inactive. I have been having problems with module licenses and .lck. It needs updating to compete with newer programs and contact with support almost always requires a 45 minute wait.

Great for Accounting and Job Cost Function; Not so much for Project Management

Pros

You're able to have custom reports associated with cost reporting for projects.

Cons

The Project Management software needs some work to be integrated and functional. The user interface is basic and could be updated to be more user friendly.

A good construction project tracking software

I don't have a reason to change software products.

Pros

Ease of use Easy to learn and get accustomed to Has been around a long time Recent improvements (last 7-8 years) to the software (Xcel downloads, employee set ups, My Assistant) More 3rd party products that communicate well or easily with Sage 300 (i.e. PO/AP software, electronic clocks)

Cons

I don't like the extra layer on support. It is inevitable that we need the 2nd level for almost every call. No drill down links between modules. There are a few things (I can't think all of now) that you can tell an accountant was not completely involved in setting up. One example, putting a negative in front a number in the credit column on some reports and not on others. The inconsistency can be confusing. Is it a credit or a negative credit (which = debit).

Sage 300 Construction

It seems like the software has a lot of possibilities but everything seems to be manual and not update automatically. Should have more reports available at purchase vs. needing to have someone create custom reports.

Pros

Job Cost module is very helpful. It could have options that are more easily accessible to add change orders and paid date on the job cost reports.

Cons

That the entries in one module don’t post to every other module.

Thank you for submitting a product review. Your feedback is invaluable to the continued improvement of products and services from Sage.

Accouting Software for the Construction Indusrty

Pros

The best part of this software is the ease of use and navigation. Each department can customize their own platform whether its is the AP department,AR or even the VP of Finance. The software is very user friendly and forgiving. Also I can work in multiple platforms without any interruption or delay. Most importantly the reporting part of this software is very customizable so each department can look at the information that pertains to them directly without unnecessary or unwanted information.

Cons

Sometimes the reports take a little more time but that is due to the amount if information that it is pulling but this is not a downside to the software its just we are pulling a lot of information at once.

Sage get the job done

Sage is the software we utilize for all of our PM/project accounting and budgeting tracking. This program allows us to enter budget, commitments, costs and track and report on these with up to date information and integrate with our other PM software for a more streamlined workflow.

Pros

For the price, this can't be beat. It can do all of the same things as the more expensive software out there. This communicates with our online PM software, and our invoice review and approval software to streamline all aspects of our project management work flow and improve productivity.

Cons

Not the most user friendly. It doesn't have the fancy icons that other software does, but once you past that first layout learning curve and develop any custom reporting it is easy to understand and does everything you need.

CASH MANAGEMENT DILLEMMA

Fairly easy to understand and learn.

Pros

It is very functional accounting software. It has logical paths that are easy to follow.

Cons

If you are behind it does not record or recognize the transactions, even though it accepts them.

Sage 300 CRE User

I feel that the knowledgebase needs a lot of work. Too many steps to get to your product. Most of the time, if I pull up a request that has more than one page of listings, I get an error message when I try to go to the second page. It has become almost useless.

Pros

I like the simplicity of the accounting side and the integration between job cost and general ledger. I feel it is user friendly for learning the product in almost all aspects.

Cons

Would like to see a simpler change order process with more connections between the subcontractor and the owner changes. Would like to see fewer glitches such as the "use last job" option does not work in project management under certain versions and occasionally I get invoices that show that the payment is open when the checks are cleared.

Good product back in 2010, but lack of inovation for 2020

Pros

The software has many features to meet a varied needs. As a construction and service company, it is nice to be able to have both groups be able to use the same software which keeps the accounting side simpler.

Cons

Its showing its age. The system is stuck using old technology and hasn't been updated in years. The updates that are put out are more bug fixes and updates for regulatory forms and such. I generally push off the updates as long as possible due to it being a time consuming process. Each time you need to uninstall software from each PC and reinstall. This can take a day or 2 to complete. A few years ago they were working on adding a way to work through a browser via webpages, but has not happened. They are now showing this feature as a cloud option only with monthly fees.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Sage products and services. We strive to deliver the best experience possible for Sage customers. We would welcome the opportunity to connect with you to better understand how we can exceed your expectations in the future.

Sage 300 CRE

Overall, Sage CRE300 does a good job with accounting and job cost reporting. Data entry is easy to navigate through.

Pros

Software is easy to navigate, although menu items are not always is a place that seems intiutive to look until you've used it for a while.

Cons

General Ledger and Job Cost items do not always post automatically. This makes no sense to me, because it causes the GL or JC to get out of balance. There is a manually posting option, but this is an extra step that I've never had to use in any other software. I used Timberline as a DOS based product in the 19990's and this same out of balance issue existed then.

Where have you been all my life

If you already have SAGE 300 ERP and need to manage projects and job costings, you need not go any further. Truth be told, if I didn't have all that stuff and found this first it would convince me to buy the other stuff.

Pros

I have SAGE 300 ERP with the PJC module and to tell you the truth we had been looking for a system to manage costs of our projects for years that the years would actually use and not complain about. PJC is great but we just couldn't get the users to be all in with its use. Then I discovered CRE aka Timberline. I cannot believe this thing existed, where have you been all my life. This solution integrates...

Sage 300 CRE needs help!

Quite honestly I used to be a "raving fan" of Sage/Timberline. I would attend the TUG conferences, enjoyed networking with other Sage users and learning things that we could do to improve our process and procedures. After attending several of these I started to realize that nothing was changing. Lots of empty promises for improved functionality with little to no changes other than patches and fixes. Unfortunately we are starting to look at other options because it feels that nothing will improve.

Pros

I would have to say that 22 years ago when I starting using and implementing Sage 300 (Timberline) there were many pros with industry leading solutions for the construction industry, unfortunately, that is no longer the case.

Cons

Sage 300 CRE is stuck in a rut. There is always "promise" of updates and better user interface but literally nothing ever happens. The fact that you can't even use the system remotely on a standard laptop has been frustrating beyond anything I have dealt with this last year. Sage seriously needs to get current with user's expectations.

This reviewer only left a rating

Dennis Anderson Construction Corporation began using this software in 2005 when the product was called Timberline; however, at that time we only utilized some of its many functions, such as Accounts Payable, Payroll and General Ledger. In 2013, we decided to extend our contract with Sage and to take advantage of some of the other functions that we had not previously been using, such as Project Management,...

Pros

Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate support are PHENOMENAL! Whether it be through a live chat or a phone conversation, Sage support is always very helpful and they always show such care and concern in making sure your issue is resolved.

Cons

Year-End Support is very slow (1 hour + wait time) due to the high volume of customers in need of support. I would recommend that Sage hire additional support members to assist customers with Year End issues.

Responsible for original setup and training of employees.

Pros

Support is great. Every problem I've had they have been able to walk me through the steps to fix. The integration of all the modules eliminates duplicate entry (except as detailed below). Ability to customize fields and use the Desktop to customize My Tasks.

Cons

Some areas need definite improvement - Address Book! No easy way to access or send emails to groups. Address Explorer (an Add-on) helps connect to Outlook, but lots of room for improvement. Sage Construction Anywhere should connect to Address Book. You have to manually add contacts to the companies to be able to give them access to the software, even though they are already set up in Sage Address Book. Some fields are too short to enter all the information needed. Flexibility with documents - Most are created in Crystal and hard to customize. Hopefully the new Word Integration program in development will solve this problem.

Great software

Overall I like the system because I can get up to date information from it. And the third party softwares addition to the software since I can have the third party pull out information faster.

Pros

The ability to customize a lot of things and be able to inquire and run reports from the data. I like how the system can be set up to calculate a lot of things in the system. I like the support which is a great help!

Cons

Sometimes things are not able to be changed once in the system and some glitches of the system that can not be explained.

This reviewer only left a rating

I have used Sage 300 since 2010 and have found it the most troubling accounting software I have encountered. It has the capability to do a lot, but the product is so difficult to use that it makes doing a lot impractical, at least for a smaller company. Sage acquired Master Builder in around 2008 and has yet to implement many of the "smart" features I had expected after they bought it from Intuit...

Outdated yet Effiient

Pros

Sage 300 has a lot of features and can do essentially everything we need from a job cost, accounting and project management standpoint.

Cons

I feel like the UI is clunky and outdated. We've had to partner with several companies to get more out of Sage because they aren't updating anything. I also dislike their customer service. I've been on a phone call with a rep and instead of walking me through a solution, I am sent a link to a solution, put on hold and expected to walk through it myself.

BEST CONSTRUCTION ACCOUNTING SOFTWARE OUT THERE !

Have been a user for over 30 years, dos based till current

Pros

Very user friendly, the help button and the knowledge base are awesome places to go to when you need help in finding an answer to how to. Each application is easy to do the work flow. If you make an error in any one entry, the process to fix the mistake or the entry to reverse the error is a very easy step in all of the applications. I love the software!!

Cons

My only issue is job cost is not user friendly with cash management in respect to if you enter a line item job cost that affects cash then you also have to enter the same in cash management to stay in balance.

It was great and integrated with our timberline estimating software

Pros

It was extremely easy to use and our accounting department even said it was fantastic. On the project management side, the staff liked the cost codes you could integrate and use. and the ease of sending financial information in. It was also used for monthly job cost review meetings with project management and operations. I believe it was relatively easy to generate thorough documents for review.

Cons

You couldn't do things through a mobile device. A lot of field staff and other personnel in various industries were always on the go and we couldn't have remote access on smartphones.

Sage 300 Review

Coming from Simply and QuickBooks this software take you way beyond their functionality. Highly recommend for any construction companies to take this software on as it really goes above and beyond allowing you to track multiple projects, invoice using different products. The app entry allows such variations including Manual Cheque, E-transfers, Credit Card (entry by a vendor) and regular cheque runs. As a company we want to streamline double payments and this system allows us to catch many duplicate submissions. I can't say enough of how happy I am that it integrates with Excel and if you don't want to invest in excel custom reports if your accountant uses ODBC at all they can extract the information easily.

Pros

AP system (easy of entry, avoid duplicates Job Cost (track multiple projects, ensure they are invoiced, reports by vendor, by code) Cash Management System(reconcile your statements so easily, transfers between companies are so simplified, make an entry on the fly) GL (reports ...allow you to analyze your accounts)

Cons

Financial Reporting (out of the box reports are functional but not friendly to them eye comparable to simply/QuickBooks) but they do the job but would be nice to have better out of the box reports. That being said you can also order customer reports if that is what you are looking for.

Select your country

10+ YEARS RECOMMENDING SOFTWARE

© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.