All categories

Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate Reviews

Very easy to use

I have been using this product since 2006, between my current Company and a larger Company I was with. I have had mostly positive experience with Sage 300, and I find that it really helps my job with how easy it is to use.

Pros

I find that once you have been trained, it is very easy to use. I understand the reports, and when I need help, they are so many tools that have helped me with issues and questions.

Cons

Sometimes there is duplication of work between the Estimating Module and the Accounting module.

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate your business and look forward to helping drive your continued success in construction and real estate.

Stay away!

Pros

The Project Management portion works fairly well. The reports are very clunky and hard to work with, but it's possible to get the info you need.

Cons

The accounting side of this software is horrible! Did you know that you can have a negative debit and negative credit? That's just part of the nightmare. If you want to see all entries going through both AP and AR, they only show up as summary entries. There is no detail as to vendor, invoice # or anything other than the date and amount. It groups AP entries together into batches depending on how...

The software is relatively easy to use.

Reporting is relatively easy once you have done the set-up. Able to export to excel for outside users such as auditors is helpful.

Pros

Input is quick and easy. It has been around long enough that most bugs are sorted out unlike some software. Once you learn some of the tricks/shortcuts it is even easier.Updates are frequent and the help desk resolves issues quickly. Able to customize reports.

Cons

Like most software it takes some time to setup. Customizing to your business is a feature but then you need to learn to us crystal in order to make updates. Closing month in one module doesn't always update or close the others.

I really enjoy using sage 300 and very easy to learn.

Pros

process data very quick, strong customer support, user friendly, Easy upgrade from entry-level accounting applications. Easy to change dashboard widgets. Customizable, ribbon-based navigation menus. Successful mobile access from multiple operating systems using Google Chrome. Customer relationship management (CRM) available in the 300 product line.

Cons

Custom report design is not easy to learn; Payroll and inventory unavailable as 300 components. No hard timetable for adding modules. No flowchart/process navigation. Limited dashboard widgets on screen. No drill-down or navigation capability.

Sage 300 User Review

It's clunky and the gray boxes make it look dated. I hope future updates will make it more user-friendly.

Pros

It covers all accounting areas of the company - very robust.

Cons

When you are keying a journal entry, the name of the G/L account should be displayed after you key in the account number. Same in the A/P module. Journal Entries should be reviewed and posted by a different person who keys them in. In the G/L activity report, when a negative number appears in the Debit column, it's a credit. When a positive number appears in the Credit column, it's a debit. They shouldn't appear in the wrong column at all. You should be able to click a box and have the Journal Entry you are booking reverse on the first day of the next month. You shouldn't have to key it in as a separate JE. When you view a report, you should be able to zoom in or out at different percentages, not just one Zoom In and one Zoom out.

Sage 300-Timberline

Our experience on both the construction and real estate sides has been very positive over the years.

Pros

The assistance of United Solutions through implementation back in 1996 and the ongoing support through the years has been invaluable. The software his highly customizable and can be used in its most simplistic form to most complex in terms of tables, rates, billings, etc.

Cons

No good print to Excel feature. No cloud based version yet.

I have had great success in applying the knowledge I have learned thru Timberlines, Knowledge base.

Pros

I like the fact that there are so many areas you can find help, and knowledge for questions that need answered. Also the ease of moving from one module to the next. Also you can create customized reports especially with Payroll, there is always information that is needed there.

Cons

I really have not found any Cons personally

Yesterdays technology for yesterdays prices.

The only benefit can think about using Sage is the money I could make building add-ons and consulting opportunities it provides because it lacks the basics. Financial reporting is a joke.

Pros

It works. It's fairly cheap. Not that buggy. I assume this is so because you haven't hired a team of developers since the late 90s. I'd bet the head of the user experience if you have one, has been ready to retire for the last ten years.

Cons

You have not put any effort into improving the product. For example how hard would it be to put a link from the transaction inquiry to the entry batch by clicking a button. The standard reporting is terrible. Have you ever asked what an accounting team needs? Also, in 2021 one should be able to copy and paste into your tables (e.g. JEs). Another example of how sloppy your user experience is when you close the books for the month, someone has to open the prior month one at a time. We have 90 companies. I had to program a python script to do this! I also use an Oracle product for financial reporting.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Sage products and services. We strive to deliver the best experience possible for Sage customers. We would welcome the opportunity to connect with you to better understand how we can exceed your expectations in the future.

Does a lot of stuff but not user friendly

I was asked by software advice to do this review. We have an older version of the software, so the cons I listed may have been solved.

Pros

Timberline offers a lot of reporting capabilities and customization; Every piece of information you need regarding a job or a customer's account is easily accessible.

Cons

Cumbersome-- have to do a lot of double entry, cannot easily find information needed in one application while working in another (must have multiple windows open at the same time), accounting information is very involved and not easy to use for someone who does not have an accounting background.

Stable software with lots of add-ons by 3rd parties to enhance it

Enabled us to use more efficient processes and procedures - we are now entirely paperless with respect to A/P and becoming more so with the rest of our processes.

Pros

Stable backend software that has been around long enough to have lots of 3rd party add-ons to do pretty much anything you would need.

Cons

Some of the architecture is a little dated so some things require convoluted workarounds. The user interface can also be a little dated. Newer modules have modern interfaces, original modules have old interfaces. Service Management is a backend processor only - the user interface is terrible.

Sage 300 CRE

Again, Sage Customer Support can not be beat with their knowledge and professionalism to their clients.

Pros

Our company specializing in millwright, rigging and custom metal fabrication and Sage 300 CRE helps our company with certified payroll, union payroll and dues, job costing, purchase orders and subcontractor tracking. Also account payable and accounts receivable modules are easy to use, and it really helps us to streamline our operation. Sage Customer Support are most wonderful people to help solve issues you might have with financials or with a payroll.

Cons

The only con with Sage 300 CRE - it will take time to be trained all the modules this software has to offer. If you make a mistake my advice is to look at Sage Knowledge Base for answers or call Sage Support Team to make an appointment to help resolved the issue. You have to be very careful and pay very close attention with accounting dates and closed months with this software.

Works well for us

I have been using Sage 300 for over 20 years, it's easy to use, easy to train people on and customizable to fit our needs.

Pros

We are a basic general contractor, it works really well and fits most of our needs. I love the inquiry modes and the easy access to information very quickly and the ability to customize.

Cons

The payroll module can be picky on how you enter data, it could use a little more user friendliness.

Sage is a bit clunky but gets the job done

Pros

The separate modules work very good. Certified Payrolls are easily done thru the payroll module. Payables and Receivables modules work nicely, with some help. Has a ton of reports available.

Cons

Although it has a lot of reports, they are hard to find the one you want/need. The separate modules seem like they came from separate companies sometimes and without an expert help or customer support, it would be really hard to get what you need out of them. I have had to pay for custom reports to be done to get what I need several times.

Sage 300 CRE Review

It's clunky, it's hard to pull info from in a timely manner, but it works well for our input controls and has our entire lifelines in it so we make it work!

Pros

Inputs are good. That is, the software seems tailored towards having good controls for the input of documentation so things don't get missed.

Cons

Reporting and pulling data - terrible. Inconsistency between inquiry/reporting, inability to customize reports as needed, all seems to go back to either a mess of how the databases are set up or the historical addition of apps that led to data shoehorned in with poor relationships.

Thank you for submitting a product review. Your feedback is invaluable to the continued improvement of products and services from Sage.

Good project management software

Pros

Sage 300 is a user-friendly, fairly easy to navigate software. It is especially helpful in tracking subcontractor change orders and budget adjustments. The standard reports provide information that is easy to understand and is very helpful in figuring out where your project stands financially at any given point in time.

Cons

It is easy for users to document change orders inconsistently, there is a lot of room for variance which means that the documents produced can vary in appearance from one user to the next.

28 year Sage/Timberline user

I've tried other programs, but Sage/Timberline is the best and most efficient accounting program I've found.

Pros

1. outstanding customer service and technical support 2. excellent job costing and subcontractor commitment tracking, both of which are most important to me 3. custom reports are a fantastic way to see exactly what I want to see and not a bunch of unnecessary info

Cons

it can be a little picky about the server it likes best. software updates need to be done one at a time, so if your IT misses a couple, you can't skip ahead.

Great system for construction. Efficient accounting software. Works great with Timberscan software.

Pros

Good accounting system to use in the construction industry. Accounts payables module is very efficient and ties in well with the General Ledger. Project management module is easy to use and to track commitments is a simple process

Cons

Occasionally we find certain functions that do not work well and have to contact Sage support. It is a little challenging when adjusting receivables especially when you have to void payments first and then later go back in and apply the payments again.

Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate Review

I would recommend this software due to all areas of Project Management costing, accounting reports and the range with which you can manipulate data to get different reports.

Pros

The ease of retrieving reports and manipulating reports for my business needs .

Cons

There are many components that are not easy top navigate and can get confusing without daily use.

Outdated Product

Very little support, very hard to change things. The software seems outdated.

Pros

i have used the software for 26 years. The things I like the most are the stability of the product, the validity of the financial data and the ability to view meta data in different ways.

Cons

The reporting function went from 10 stars to 1 starts about 3 years ago. Reporting has recently become more usable with 20.1, but for years, we could not print in colors nor print the way we used to via different meta data. There is no ability to use data to use information. The integration from takeoff, 2D to 3D does not exist.

Sage 300 Construction, Good Product, Some Issues

It would be better if it would connect freely with programs similar to Procore that perform the Project Management side of Construction so it matches better with the accounting side.

Pros

It will allow you to link payroll with Accounting with Subcontractors, Change Orders and then Billing to the Client

Cons

The product is slow to use and the program does not have defaults for items frequently used. You have to select where you want to be, every time you make a new entry rather than automatically going to where you just were

Not a good product

This is possibly the worst software I've ever supported. My opinion is based on my observations of: - Lack of functionality - Unknowledgeable support people - Upgrades that are frustrating and usually immediately need another release to fix that release - Software pieces don't work together ie: Paperless, 200 CRE, eCapture, SageCPC

Pros

The ability to create specific roles for users.

Cons

The upgrades are a nightmare. Have to touch all desktops while doing an upgrade is extensively time consuming. The support is atrocious. I open a ticket online and get an answer that doesn't even relate to my question. I've already scoured the knowledgebase, but the response I get it just sending me to a knowledgebase article. Then I'm told to call in. When I do call in, I get to listen to a message for 1 minute that tells me to go online and look at the knowledgebase (waste of my time), than I sit on hold for an hour to get a first level support person that doesn't know the answer and I need to schedule time to get a call back from some one else.

Hard program to self teach, thank goodness we have gold level support. Knowledgebase has improved.

Ability to handle multiple companies with part time hours. Currently on the road to paperless.

Pros

Ability to drill down for detail. Ability to find help in several different places IE Sage City, knowledge bases, help menu, customer support, Sage University.

Cons

Sage University is too pricey. There should be more free classes. Now they are only for the new features or modules. Frequently I have to wait for a level 2 to answer questions; however I've been using the software for 13 years!

Easy to use accounting and project management software

Easy to use and easy to select reports and project management information.

Pros

Easy to use and provides excellent reporting capabilities. I like how all the different applications interact with each other and I am able to keep track of everything. All users can pull the required information and print reports.

Cons

Sometimes I have trouble converting reports to and excel or word format. I believe that they have additional software for this but we have not purchased this portion.

Sage Accounting Software

I am able to perform all phases of accounting and generate real time reports for the owner.

Pros

I have been working with the software for over 25 years and the fact that everything is integrated helps to run a drywall company much easier.

Cons

Performing the annual updates to both the server and each desktop has always been a challenge.

Sage/Timberline Job Costing

Pros

I have been using Sage/Timberline accounting software since 1989. I find it user friendly. I like that I am able to have custom reports that show the information that I need in the format that I want to see. Not that I use it very often, but I have found the Sage/Timberline customer service the best of any company I have ever worked with. My very picky IT person has never had a complaint about the customer service and has actually complimented it, which, for him, is unusual.

Cons

the software can be picky about being on a server with other software.

Select your country

10+ YEARS RECOMMENDING SOFTWARE

© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.