Viewpoint Spectrum Logo

Viewpoint Spectrum Reviews - Page 4

LL

Lesley L.

Four years and counting

Pros

I have been using Spectrum V14 since it was released. I like the apps on the Site Map and the shortcuts menu. I train our project manager and project engineers on this software regularly and these two areas I think get used the most by our people. I promote these areas on a regular basis and encourage everyone to use the ones we have already created and also create their own.

Cons

My wish list would include a link to Outlook for ease of obtaining and maintaining a list of current contacts. Also, RSS feeds hardly ever get used, but links to actual websites would be a better feature. Also, insurance tracking feature is confusing when working between the vendor and the job-specific side. It would be very helpful if the Help Menu broke down the available features related to insurance and how each one can or should be used.

RC

Ruby C.

Love Spectrum

I used Spectrum at least 15 years. The best major financial and construction software. One thing I truly like is the Tech Support. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is the best one. Besides the question I asked, he can always be proactive to provide me more info on the related items I need to know. Others are good, too.

Pros

User friendly. Experienced Tech Support. Listening to the customers' needs, and always growing with better function. I used Oracle before. It's very hard to use. No common sense and always have to check for error. Although we can't customize a software like Oracle JD Edwards, but it's actually better. As a user, we don't need to "design" a software. We only need a software that works and easier to use.

Cons

My only complain is still the Time off Bank. The effective date should be the Work Period End Date, not the Pay Date.

mR

mendy R.

Spectrum

Difficult at first to navigate. Set and implementation was horrible. Training not good

Pros

I like the different detailed functions. attachments, tracking, invoice approval routing, T&M billing when it works forrect

Cons

reports. the standard reports are not what i need. T&M billing does not always work correctly. Invoice corrections are messy. not clean. Can not reverse invoice when it is assigned a PO without approving even though invoice is not approved. The have to reverse. and reeer.

Viewpoint for Service Departments

Overall this software is very average.

Pros

The ServiceTech app for the crews in the field has been very easy to transition to.

Cons

It makes it hard for viewing pictures in the work orders because you can only look at one picture at a time. It also is hard to close work orders that wont be billed out to customers because you have to bill a $0 invoice.

LH

Leslie H.

Buyer Beware

Poor. Would never recommend or use intentionally again.

Pros

I've been using this System for 6 months and do not like it at all. In fact, ask anyone in this office and they would agree. It stops working, closes out while you're working. The functionality in Payroll is a joke. Too many issues to list them all. I work in the A/P side too, and there are so many steps it's ridiculous. My advice: RUN and do not look back.

Cons

Too many to list; especially their customer service. Most CSR's are like deers in headlights. Clueless and can't provide answers &/or remedies. One particular instance from March (four months ago) we've never gotten a promised return call. You can RARELY speak to an actual person. It's all electronic "Ticket" submissions or by chat. They can't access your system to be able to troubleshoot, so it's like the blind leading the blind.

KK

Kimberly K.

Construction, 51-200 employees

My review on how great Viewpoint Spectrum is!!!

I have always had a positive experience with Viewpoint Spectrum. I was challenging at first to learn how the software worked. But being able to have access to all the different classes offer in the Academy that I could take any time, it really helped me to learn all the different things I could do with the software. Even today, I am still learning new tips and tricks about the software.

Pros

What I like most about this software is that it is very user friendly. If I ever run into issues, I can always reach out to your company for help. They are always quick to respond and very knowledgeable about the product. They also make sure you know other products or classes that may be helpful as well.

Cons

There really isn't anything I don't like about this software. I think it just keeps getting better!

KP

Kristin P.

Payroll and HR Management on the rise

Generally, I find that Viewpoint and Spectrum off a lot of options that I haven't had elsewhere.

Pros

Being able to integrate HR and Payroll systems together is a huge time saver.

Cons

There are many preferences and functions not currently available in Viewpoint, such as being able to adjust/alter the order in which payroll data is displayed, scrolling/viewing options, check layouts, and the way that HRM data rolls over to the payroll system. Also, being able to build/customize a report as a user (without having to go through my administrator) would be awesome.

JC

John C.

New users

Pros

It handles job costing very well. It also has modules for our other divisions of business.

Cons

Lots of basic features are not there and require expensive customization. Implementation strategy could be much better.

NB

Nathan B.

Spectrum Review

The product itself is very useful. Getting to the point where you can use it is a nightmare.

Pros

Nothing is easy about switching from one product to another. We switch from Prolog to Spectrum and the functionality where way different. What I found was the best when switching was that integration between field staff and office admin. Spectrum allowed us to see things in real time.

Cons

The training was poor and there is no manual for using the product. I had to fiscally build a manual that would be user friendly with color codes to assist are staff with the integration. The help center is never gives a timely response so learning to use the software was by trial and error. Put in information and see what it effects.

RA

Rhodora A.

Oil & Energy, 201-500 employees

Do your thorough research before buying this product. This might not be what you think you need.

The system sucks right now for us as we are not using the full function from timekeeping to invoicing simply because this is not the system we can use to capture time in the field for our guys. The system is not easy to navigate - too much data entry that I almost lost my arm and shoulder invoicing 50 lines daily for our customers. It does not have the capability to do recurring invoices to capture...

Pros

The promised capability that this system do project management like track assets, cost and margins. I have yet to see if it will actually do it.

Cons

Need to key in same information over and over again specifically the job number I was working on and the batch code. I keyed in the job number and it kept asking me the same info every time a new tab opens until I finish my invoices.

SS

Suzann S.

Construction, 1-10 employees

Spectrum Software Review

I started at Kuhn Construction last May. I had some training from the previous accountant, but basically just researched to find out how to do different tasks that she didn't go over. I'm still learning and in my downtime, I do the online training that is free.

Pros

Spectrum is pretty easy to use and figure out how to use different aspects. The online help and group interaction helps tremendously when trying to figure out a task.

Cons

The classes are kind of pricey. As a contractor that only works at this location for 3 days a week (not in a row), it makes it hard to take any of the classes as I have other clients I work for when I'm not here.

Thank you for the feedback and taking the time to leave a review! We want to make sure you're aware of our customer resources including Viewpoint Academy, The Network, and more. Follow the link for more information on these resources. https://info.viewpoint.com/rs/623-NDA-487/images/Customer-Success-Resources-2022-07.pdf

KT

Kevin T.

Extensive Construction Software

Overall, our company has had a pretty good experience with Viewpoint Spectrum. As previously stated, the software does almost everything we want/need it to do, but the customer service is lacking.

Pros

Spectrum has many different modules, and pretty much covers all areas of construction accounting. Most of the modules are easy to use, and once you get the hang of each module, there are a lot of neat tips and tricks to take advantage of.

Cons

Without a doubt, the worst thing about this software is the customer service. There aren't too many cons you will find with the actual software and different modules, but if you're looking for good customer service, then you will be disappointed. Calls go unanswered and cases go unresolved.

GB

Gordon B.

The Complete Package.

Overall, the information gathering processes are quite involved leading me to believe that a small company can grow to be a larger company without the need of changing the software.

Pros

The reports are laid out very professionally making them easy to understand and useful in making decisions.

Cons

I was not involved in the implementation of the product and, as a result, I found the initial setup of the general ledger is way too detailed for an operation of this size. Consequently, the financial statements are very much overblown with insignificant details. The management of the business could function a lot simpler with 40% less effort.

LR

Lea R.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 51-200 employees

Poor reports

I feel they should have a packet of reports that would make this program for different states. They are already creating these reports for other customers why not just offer them as a package deal to add on for a set price instead of saying they are recreating them each time.

Pros

Easy to look up employees and jobs in most modals because you can type in almost anything to find it. you are type in city, state first name last name or part of any of these to get the info you are looking for.

Cons

reports are not easy to get customized without them quoting 10-14 per report to have customized. In California there are certain reports we need to be able to report to the state. With this program we need to run 3-4 reports to get that info. Their is no report that show PTO and Vacation. The Job Overview reports do not show cash flow. Also many of the reports do not have totals on them so when running reports we also have to add them up manually. There is no way to do a cash pay with out entering an invoice. Not all reports show the same totals. Employees really have to dig into reports to confirm the info is correct.

Keith A.

Construction, 51-200 employees

Viewpoint Spectrum works well for our business

I highly recommend Viewpoint Spectrum to construction professionals seeking a reliable and efficient software solution. We use it daily for work orders and then billing customers.

Pros

The software also offers comprehensive project cost management, including budgeting, change order tracking, and subcontractor management, ensuring that all aspects of a project are carefully monitored and controlled.

Cons

It does not integrate well into our other software, ServiceTrade, which runs our inspection and service department.

MB

Michelle B.

Spectrum - Construction Software

The company that I joined in 2014 began using Spectrum in 1997. Over the last few years we have researched a few other accounting software platforms in means of further upgrading our department. Nothing has come as close to our needs as Spectrum. The integration between the modules is seamless and the ease of use is refreshing.

Pros

Ease of use and integration between modules! This software is very user friendly. The ability to export reports/data to excel is also wonderful and used almost daily.

Cons

We have not implemented the Project Management/Team side of Spectrum. It is constantly evolving, however our it does not quite fit our PM department needs...yet. As with all upgrades, we are continuing to watch their new innovations and hope to utilize it in the future.

KD

Karen D.

Construction, 201-500 employees

Tons of features, but could use better reporting.

Spectrum support has become an issue in the last couple of years. When you can reach someone, the support is excellent. They have great people in support, but it has become increasingly difficult to get support on a timely basis.

Pros

Spectrum is fairly easy to use and navigate. We are paperless and the document imaging is easy to use and functional. Most reports can be downloaded in various formats, which is great.

Cons

Working in payroll, it is sometimes difficult to find the report(s) that contain the necessary data for the task at hand and sometimes the report needed doesn't exist. InfoLink allows us to extract data from Spectrum directly to Excel, but the tables are difficult to navigate and this process is very time consuming.

PH

PAULA H.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 201-500 employees

Don't fix what isn't broken

Spectrum has continued to grow their products. They have a superb support department. The staff is fairly consistent with not a lot of turn-over. You get to know the people behind the scenes and build relationships with them and their network.

Pros

My favorite thing about Spectrum is that it continues to grow with our business. We have been Spectrum users for 25 years. In these 25 years Spectrum has been on the cutting edge of technology. We continue to get value from the updates and software collaborations.

Cons

My least favorite thing is it takes too long to get updates. I would like the easy updates to come out once a month. I realize this is not cost effective, but typically if there is anything I am disgruntled about it will show up in a future quarterly update.

WG

William G.

Consumer Services, 51-200 employees

Geiler Company

Overpromise. Slow to adopt

Pros

Great for construction project management and construction accounting

Cons

If you do service work this is not the program to buy

TC

Ty C.

HRM Implementation

The system itself seems fine, but the help factor is definitely lacking. Without good customer service it is difficult to use the software correctly.

Pros

It covers the areas we need for our business.

Cons

Customer support is very poor. Whenever we have to reach out for something, it is hard to get a reply in a timely fashion. Also, with our HRM Implementation, many times the system has not been working properly, we do not get timely responses, and adequate solutions to the problems we are facing.

TH

Tina H.

This reviewer only left a rating

We've been using Dexter & Chaney Spectrum (previously Forefront) for over 12 years; longer than I've actually been employed by the construction company I work for. We originally (and for many years) only used Spectrum for some basic accounting functions. After finally upgrading to the current version (we are currently on V13), we expanded our use of the software, utilizing the system on a much...

KB

Kathy B.

I have been a Spectrum user for 20+ years. I am in accounting and really like the program.

Pros

I like that it is very user friendly. It has easy to read reports. Our payroll is very complicated, yet Spectrum was able to handle our payroll without any special programming. I also love the document imaging. I can now look up everything from my desktop when I need to see a timecard, A/R invoice or A/P invoice.

Cons

When writing reports sometimes it is very hard to find where the information is that you need. I think that BI is going to take care of this but you must be hosted by Spectrum, which we are not.

Thanks for your continued support over the years, Kathy! We appreciate you taking time to share your experiences using Spectrum, and it's great to hear that you're finding the document imaging feature useful.

GR

Gayle R.

Great Software

We have been using Spectrum for over 17 years now and have found that it gives us the necessary information needed in order to operate a successful construction business and joint venture business

Pros

The most impactful feature for our company is job costing and ability to create multiple companies

Cons

The feature that could be most improved is being able to easily create customized reports.

QS

Quentella S.

Payroll Processing

Viewpoint Spectrum provides a vast majority of online help guides which is quite useful. Overall, the system works well and is easy to learn.

Pros

The ability to go back to a previous process midway to make corrections.

Cons

Spectrum does not allow one set future date changes to salaries, insurance premium activation dates to deactivate after a certain time frame. Spectrum doesn't allow one to activate bank account information during the onboarding process (only once a payroll has started). Currently, the system will not allow two users to process two different payrolls simultaneously.Viewpoint spectrum system doesn't allow one to void a direct deposit payroll check without creating a manual one that will also need to be voided later (would rather have a better streamlined process).

SC

Suzanne C.

Buyer Beware

Pros

The support team is generally friendly and responsive. It seems that they may be somewhat understaffed in the department that writes custom reports as they are slow to respond, the process is somewhat cumbersome, and lead times are grossly misstated.

Cons

While I am new to Spectrum (the system was in place when I started with the company) - I find it to be clunky, difficult to use, not intuitive, and expensive for what you get. The search tool is difficult at best when trying to research how to accomplish simple tasks and you end up having to log a support ticket. I know there is a cloud version that is supposed to have more features but I am not prepared to commit to 3 years for a product I am not strongly confident in.