Viewpoint Spectrum Reviews - Page 6

From an accounting perspective... as opposed to construction work perspective

Pros

The ability to attach various files as backup to each JE , AR, AP or pretty much any transaction.

Cons

Not very financial reporting friendly. Not very accounting friendly. Way too cumbersome to find the GL accounts a transaction impacts. If I want to find the debit and credit of any transaction, I should not have to go through so many processes and filtering just to find it.

The Good and Bad

Pros

The software is great for project management/ job tracking

Cons

This software is very lax in the HR and reporting department. The report are not dynamic and the features in the payroll and HR modules are weak.

Multiple buyouts have lead to high turn over and no customer service for Spectrum/Viewpoint.

I recommend passing on this software until they work out there business model.

Pros

I like the document imaging function. It does not seem as if Spectrum has keep up with technology or basic business requirements. They must make there money off selling training and reports.

Cons

Set up is difficult and they have very few experienced trainers. I had a Trainer who was from CA tell me we did not have to set anything up in payroll for CA taxes. Needless to say it did not work. Once you have started payroll you can not make any changes to employee records. Deleting a direct deposit payroll is ridiculously complicated. An invoice has to be entered in AP before you can write a check. Once you start entering an invoice and before you have saved you cannot not make changes to the date or invoice #. There are a lot of extra steps for every function. Reports that come with the software are terrible. They expect you to pay for corrections to there reports and reports that come standard with other software.

New User

Customer Service terrible and useless. Miss our old system.

Pros

Unfortunately there is not much I like. System runs faster processing info than our old system.

Cons

Have to use multiple reports to make one report

Operations and Maintenance Division - Point of View

Overall, I have not had a good experience. I have only used it because my accounting division requires me to. It has ZERO benefits to me to track anything.

Pros

I don't really have any have any likes about the software. I also was never properly trained on how to use it, and it our company has had it for over a year and it still not fully set up. We were supposed to be doing payroll in the software and we are still using another software.

Cons

It is difficult to use. There are too many ways to get to one place. The dashboard doesn't really do anything for me. Credit Card purchases are not trackable so the do not show up on my job cost, so I have to either track or guess when I bill a project. It is very difficult to set up anything. It doesn't suit my needs at all. It is very difficult to search or find anything.

Jaded by the first impression

So-so

Pros

Software is reasonably intuitive to use once you understand its features

Cons

The front end training needs huge improvement. We went through a resell Partner and it was a disaster

Spectrum

We are relatively new. The potential appears to be limitless. Time will tell....

Pros

Getting info into the right setup allows realtime tracking. Job costing in realtime is crucial to ontime billings.

Cons

Very tricky getting all the setups right so that data tracks in correct phases. Phases is relative to discipline.

Payroll Clerk

Pros

Time card data entry is easy to enter, saving time over our previous software.

Cons

Can not re-print a copy of direct deposit check stub for employee.

This reviewer only left a rating

I am with Christenson Electric, Inc. in Portland, Oregon. We are not unique, just a typical electrical subcontractor. We converted from Bidtek to Forefront/Spectrum back in October of 2004. Overall, I love the ability to transport documents from reports in Spectrum to excel or word documents. For the most part, the system is very easy to use. I believe we are in version 13, although I don't maintain...

Cons

There are way too many inefficiencies for users to deserve higher ranking

Pros

GL and Job Cost balance and are accurate. Audit logs are solid and transactions are traceable. Ability to export to Excel is nice.

Cons

Where to start??? There are dozens of ways this software requires 2x-5x as many clicks of a mouse as it used to require to get the same functions completed. Version 14 is a step backward in most regards from an user-efficiency standpoint.

Spectrum

The Service Contract module is not user-friendly. Calls to support have resulted in more research needed on their part to get the answers we need to use the module.

Pros

I appreciate the ease of moving from module to module. You definitely need to know Accounting to use the financial modules.

Cons

Every module is an additional cost & additional cost for training/support. Although, the support team is very responsive.

We just changed to this product and it is a big step up

Pros

The flexibility of this product is great. We use it for accounting and there are many different reports and formats you can print to sort data

Cons

There was a pretty decent learning curve for use. It took a little while to get everyone on track for use but it is going a lot better

Spectrum: easy to use

Pros

The program is very straightforward and simple to use. It offers many tools in the hub to track your hours and pay stubs easily.

Cons

When time reporting, the entry day defaults to the current day regardless of what day is selected.

Decent construction software, but could use some work.

Pros

Spectrum did a great job with tracking our union info, as we had a few different unions, all with more than one local. The standard reports were easy to use, although could use a bit of tweaking for saved templates. Payroll was an easy step-by-step process.

Cons

We were only allowed 2 people to be authorized for support calls. We had more licenses than that, and everyone that works on the system should be allowed to call with their own issues. The report writing feature could be much more user-friendly. We had to create our custom reports directly in Crystal Reports, which takes much training. Other software I've used have used Crystal in the background, but with an intuitive, easy writer built into the software. This was a much better software before they moved from an installation to a web-based system.

Dexter & Chaney Spectrum for Construction

Pros

The product is an extremely well-thought-out and well-developed job costing and project management tool. The software development personnel were knowledgeable and thorough in their assistance.

Cons

Having lead and completed several systems conversions, I was pleased with the product. I don't recommend anyone who has no hands-on conversion experience doing this on their own. It was hard initially to speak to someone who was on the same level as I was, but once I was able to connect to a more experienced developer and customer service rep, it was a smooth and rewarding experience.

Pres

Pros

My main concern is job cost. AR and PR seems fun but I am not a user.

Cons

Job cost architecture is based cost type and not phase with associated cost types. Makes reporting difficult and the calculations for what should be the same answer is inconsistent between reports

This reviewer only left a rating

I have been using Spectrum for many years, even back to when the program was called Forefront. I am an office manager for an aggregate supplier, so we have used Spectrum to fill our need for an accounting software that can manage our ticket data from our scale software, track job costs and handle a somewhat complex GL chart of accounts. For the most part, we have been pleased with Spectrum. The...

Spectrum user since 2010

Customer service was excellent prior to the merger and/or acquisition with Viewpoint. Knowledge is limited and we are quickly pushed to a specialist with an hourly rate.

Pros

Web based. Will not let me post review unless there are characters in this field.

Cons

Payroll reports, only 3 fields in job set-up to track revenue/etc per person, once a job is closed the projected cost and hours changes to actual, all specialized reports have to be done by Crystal reporting, year end process, GL structure is limited

10 month user review of Spectrum

Having one go to software for all of our needs.

Pros

Document management - ability to attach source documents to transactions / contracts, etc.

Cons

More capabilities and reporting with work orders.

Viewpoint is the best product on the market

Pros

Viewpoint financial platform for job cost projections is by far better than its competitors .

Cons

None .

Overall the product works well for most accounting needs.

Pros

Reports run quickly and the interface is pretty user-friendly. There is a lot of in-depth capability available in most modules.

Cons

Not easy to customize many areas without significant effort or cost for professional services development.

Spectrum User

Pros

Ability to have change management, submittals/RFIs, and financials all in one place.

Cons

Some slowness when working remotely from main office, especially with uploading views of attached files

Happy with our decision.

Pros

We appreciate how responsive their help desk has been during our implementation. The software is user-friendly, and they're continuing to improve their systems.

Cons

Their documentation has not kept pace with the software improvements. Available documentation is largely for the last version and not all of the online help is up-to-date. At times it refers to an outdated manual that we need to request. This is a very minor issue within a dynamic system meant to tailor to your operations.

Perspective of Vista and Spectrum User

Spectrum is a very good construction accounting software if your small or medium business that wants a solid accounting package which is easy to use and not looking to customize your software.

Pros

Cloud based requiring little IT support from users. It’s straightforward and covers most of the standard requirements for a construction software.

Cons

I have used Vista and Spectrum if your large enough company to have internal database expert and or willing to pay for consultants or want to customize your software as each company is unique Vista is a better option than Spectrum.

Great Software

Pros

ease of use, customer support, Great layout, Great price

Cons

sometimes loosing connection to the server, logs you out sometimes when you in the middle of working on something