The EDGE Reviews

Pros

My overall experience has been wonderful. The Edge Estimating team has been more than helpful if we have ever needed any help with the Edge system.

AC

Amy C.

I've been Using The EDGE system for 11 years and still feel like it's the best software on the market. When packaged with a good digitizer it's well worth the price tag.

DB

Douglas B.

My day to day experience with the edge is very user friendly, I find myself being able to navigate with ease through the program and customer support has been good.

JO

Joe O.

Cons

Also, on occasion it will not show any errors but when you try and view the recap it will not let you saying there are errors. With all of that being said it is a minor problem for this software.

PL

Phil L.

The program is awful, but I really don't have a choice to use anything else. I have started developing my own program.

JC

Justin C.

Cost for add on's, lack of undo button and if you want to change a formula, its difficult to understand.

RT

Ryan T.

Happy User

Pros

Speed at estimating, no longer having to waste paper and time printing plans, easy to go back and make changes to the project

Cons

Unfortunately my boss never sent anyone to training, so wish there were better operating manuals on how to manipulate the data base and change how the formulas figure different materials. These may exist on the web site but I haven't found what I'm looking for yet.

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. We have a knowledgebase article on the v12 user guide https://www.estimatingedge.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/LIT-User-v12-User-Guide-The-EDGE-WEB_0519-1.pdf. We encourage our customers to be trained on The EDGE to be able to utilize its full potential. We have monthly webinars that could benefit you from watching. We appreciate your feedback and welcome product feature and functionality requests at http://bit.ly/2LVCjZa

Central PA Roofer

Overall, The Edge is an excellent tool for creating proposals quickly and accurately. The newest versions will close all the feature gaps that customer's have wanted for years.

Pros

The Edge will take off and price the estimate simultaneously with some minor tweaking on the front end.

Cons

The user interface and "DOS operating" feel creates a cumbersome feel.

Edge wish list - INTUMESCENT Calcs/Designs/Pricing

Pros

Time efficiency. Customization. Been using it since the late 1990's

Cons

Don't want to update database because I don't want to lose the UL tests that I created in my existing old data base. Complications of trying to set up Edge for all of the different INTUMESCENT fireproofing manufacturers and UL's. I am forced to do intumescent calcs & pricing outside of the Edge. Messages saying that the system couldn't save job. Having to open/close the program until the edge jobs list pulls up.

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. We appreciate your feedback and welcome product feature and functionality requests at http://bit.ly/2LVCjZa

Tough to learn but once its set up its a smooth system

I am in my late twenty's and nowhere near a computer genius but also not computer illiterate and my experience with this system was it is super confusing to set up and learn but once the program is set up to how you usually take off projects it works nicely. This is not an out of the box system at all. If you are making a complete change from paper take off's and excel sheets like my company was...

Pros

The time saving aspects of the quantity take off's

Cons

The initial set up time

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. We are currently working on a faster way to setup and onboard our customers but in the meantime we have a YouTube channel that has a collection of how-to videos located at http://go.edgeestimating.com/YouTube.

Great software, very flexible!

Pros

The EDGE is very flexible. I can start out with one condition and manipulate it into almost any other condition I need quickly (change out paint types, labor rates, etc.). I also like that I can look at and change all production rates at the same time on the same screen.

Cons

I don't like the navigation, there is too much reliance on the mouse and the keyboard is underutilized. I would like to be able to zoom in and out of drawings with the clickwheel on the mouse.

The Edge Estimating

The Edge is the easiest and most accurate estimating software I have used. It is extremely intuitive. I like how quickly we can turn out accurate and competitive bids on projects we are pursuing.

Pros

Ease and accuracy

Cons

Having to use multiple fobs on different computers

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. Version 12 is now available and can be implemented immediately depending on your databases. This greatly improved version is a total rewrite which enables us to deliver innovative features, an updated modern interface, is web-based, is much easier to use and doesn't require FOBs. If you are interested in upgrading feel free to contact sales@edgeestimating.com.

Awesome

Love the tapered system module and the drawings that it provides, I am able to sit with owners and show them options which usually puts me in front. Love it!

Pros

Once you have conditions set the edge is unstoppable, unfortunately most feel that it's to big of a task.

Cons

Building conditions for new products is an ongoing issue, wish that the Edge had better relationships with manufacturers. Seems like manufacturers would be more than willing to help sell their product using the Edge.

Thank you for your review and comments! The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. We appreciate your feedback and welcome product feature and functionality requests at http://bit.ly/2LVCjZa

Commercial Roofing

My experience has been great. I have been down to Boynton Beach for training and have my head fully wrapped around the software to the most of my ability. I think if you provided a "Light" version at a lesser price point that acted as just a material take-off only module and left out reports, recaps, etc. it would be great for many.

Pros

I think the material take-off ability and creating, saving, and reusing conditions is excellent. I also like the ability, although it is rather difficult, to generate reports based off of these take-offs.

Cons

I really only use this software for material take-offs and generating condition and pricing fax reports. As far as inputting pricing of materials, estimating labor, and getting a project price with the Recap, these are all very inefficient and do not work for us. I still feel more comfortable using my take-off information and dumping it into our estimating spread sheets. How we mark up and price our projects and what we need to include and calculate just cant be done on the recap.

AWESOME ROOFING ESTIMATING SOFTWARE

I have been using The EDGE roofing estimating system for 19 years (1998 - 2017) and don't know how I could get along without it. I have no experience with any other roofing estimation systems, but I sure that there are others out there. However, the EDGE does everything I need and that's all that matters to me. I use it for low sloped membrane and liquid applied systems, steep sloped shingle, tile and standing seam metal. It's all there at my fingertips. Once you have gone through their EXCELLENT training, the system is very easy to use. I must admit, I have had to call their Support Dept. a few times over the years, but they have always been professional and expedient in helping me get through whatever problem I may have had.

Pros

Ease of use. It does everything I need.

Cons

None.

Great Product

I have been using The Edge since the old blue screen version. It is easy to use and you can customize it to work how you want it.

Pros

Cons

Needs a few updates. Drag and drop on loading digital plans, an updated drawing screen.

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. Version 12 is now available and can be implemented immediately depending on your databases. This greatly improved version is a total rewrite which enables us to deliver innovative features, an updated modern interface, is web-based and is much easier to use. If you are interested in upgrading feel free to contact sales@edgeestimating.com. Also, for additional feedback product comments we welcome requests at http://bit.ly/2h3ti3s.

We began using The Edge approximately 2 years ago. They had just transitioned to web-based version.

Accurate estimates.

Pros

If used properly it is very accurate in providing estimates in a timely manner. There is some up front work to do in order to build systems for the estimates. There is work in any software transition. Once setup properly for you business and needs it is a great estimating tool.

Cons

It can be confusing to use at first and will require training. But it will be a good estimating tool once it is tuned for your use.

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. We appreciate your feedback and welcome product feature and functionality requests at https://goo.gl/g8SgW7

Edge Review by Ian Paul

As a college student who was unfamiliar with this program before starting my job, it was very easy to become comfortable navigating and using The EDGE. As I became more familiar in my field, as well as The EDGE I was really exposed as to what features were available. It was very simple to tailor The EDGE to do the lion's share of the work for me. Once I knew where to begin, with only a few clicks I could have an entire estimate almost finished. With a few more adjustments to fit what I am working on The EDGE has helped me complete a full estimate in a fraction of the time. Not only that but it also allows me to feel completely confident in my bid knowing it is extremely accurate. The EDGE is the most efficient and accurate way to take of an estimate.

Pros

Easy to learn, and use. Very accurate, and easy to program for future use. Great customer service!

Cons

no undo/redo button.

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. We appreciate your feedback and your comments have been passed onto the relevant departments. We also welcome additional requests at http://bit.ly/2h3ti3s.

Version 12 verses Version 10

Pros

Technical support is the best thing about version 12

Cons

Version 12 made so many unnecessary changes. It's a fight to navigate. I'm still trying to use version 10 short cuts but they don't work any more. The number on the key board (far right) don't work you have to use the number line at the top of the key board - just something to get use to.

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. We have come out with some short-cut keys for v12 (https://www.estimatingedge.com/knowledgebase/keyboard-shortuts/). We appreciate your feedback and welcome product feature and functionality requests at http://bit.ly/2LVCjZa

Pre-Cloud Edge Review

We have been using the The for 15+ years. Deciding if we are wanting to stay with it or more to a competitor.

Pros

The ability to have cost of material and labor and other cost type included in the take off.

Cons

It can not handle one company account with multiple offices (each office having its own cost for for material)

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. The EDGE does have capabilities to handle different material costs for different locations. We will have an expert reach out to you and walk you through the process. We appreciate your feedback and welcome product feature and functionality requests at http://bit.ly/2LVCjZa

C level view

It has made our material estimates and overall estimates much more accurate.

Pros

Ease of use Customized database from our costs and historical data Detailed material list and labor activity durations

Cons

Compatability with Foundations software No the greatest for tough reroofing projects

Increased Productivity with Accuracy

It has allowed us to increase our number of estimates with an accuracy in material quantities and cost. It is so easy to maneuver from start to takeoff to review.

Pros

The program may look complex, but it is easily modified to fit the individual need of your company. Not only has it increased the way I estimate, it's transformed how I see each and every project. Time and money to print plans and hand calculate quantities are now spent on project management.

Cons

In todays fast paced and busy construction market, finding time to make full use of its many potentials has been difficult.

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. Estimating Edge has monthly webinars that would help you set out time to learn a little more about our software. You can sign up for upcoming webinars at https://www.estimatingedge.com/webinars/. We appreciate your feedback and welcome product feature and functionality requests at http://bit.ly/2LVCjZa

Costly but well worth the money. And it pays for itself!

Pros

The edge is a great product for commercial drywall estimating. It allows you to create and save databases that can be quickly accessed for multiple jobs at one time. This program also allows you to share information with other people that use the same software.

Cons

It sometimes crashes, but no worries as it is set to auto save your work every 5, 10, or 15 minutes so that all of your hard work isn't erased.

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. We appreciate your feedback and welcome product feature and functionality requests at http://bit.ly/2h3ti3s.

Great Product.

Reduced labor time estimating projects and ordering materials. Able to bid on more projects to increase chances of more work. It's been a great experience.

Pros

The software was simple and easy to learn. It's user friendly. It has been a huge time saver when estimating projects.

Cons

The price. Although, it has made estimating projects and ordering materials and giving labor projects much easier. It does end up paying for itself.

Secure additional work

We had one of the original systems but didn't utilize it properly. I hired a cad man and decided we should look at the new versions and decided to purchase it and with the excellent training we had it up and running in a short time allowing us to bid quite a few additional projects. I feel that people that are more computer savvy benefit the most from the software.

Pros

I'm told that once you work with for a few projects it becomes quite a bit easier

Cons

I think it takes awhile to figure out the different ways to work thru the system

Thank you for your review and comments. We are currently working on a faster way to setup and onboard our customers but appreciate your feedback.

This estimating software for construction will go over the years !!!!!

We work with this sofware, till 1992 , that means 25 years , and in all those years , we check a few other software, and anyone are as easy to use, as the Edge. Some estimators work with us, a few time, and they rapidly work and be productive with the Edge system. We work with the system every day and it's alway's great .... We have a very good support from the software technician even if we have some problems with our language. And at last , i just want to let you know that the software has been upgrade over the year , to offer the newest applications for our latest computer ..... Thanks the Edge Team !!!!

Pros

the software is easy to use, when you know a bit about estimating

Cons

his price

Senior Estimator

The edge helps with placing orders for materials, reviewing previous bids and easy access to modify or amend past bids.

Pros

I like the functionality how it incorporates all the details in price and labor it saves trees since take offs are done electronically

Cons

I can not say specifically. I do know that you need to really attend training to fully understand all of The Edge's capabilities and functionalities.

The Edge Survey

We have been using this software for almost 10 years with this company and before that have used this software for another 6 years with a previous company. It is very quick and easy to navigate through it to do estimates, It is very thorough and we find that we always seem to have enough allowed for materials as the program allows for different scenarios ie: windows, corners etc. where extra materials are required. Although we don't want to share all of our secrets with our competitors we would strongly advise anyone within our industry to try this out.

Pros

Always allows more than enough for materials.

Cons

Sometimes we have to review the materials allowed and reduce it to stay competitive.

Great Software

Pros

The Edge is easy to navigate. Everything is labeled. In the pricing screen, if you want to change an item, it is easy to change without having to go back into the scenario page and change it on each individual scenario.

Cons

The taper module should be a standard feature not an additional purchase. Just about all low slope roofing projects have some taper required.

Best Estimating System of Commercial Roofing

I have been using the Edge Estimating software for over ten years. I can't imagine doing it any other way. Where it use to take days to estimate a large complicated project, it now takes hours and it's a lot more accurate. It's worth every penny!

Pros

Once you have everything added into groups and assemblies it's super easy to pump out estimates accurately and quick.

Cons

Updates are very slow and I am very skeptical about the accuracy of the new system 12.

Thank you for your review and comments. Your suggestion for weekly webinars is great and are in the process of adding. We also welcome additional requests at http://bit.ly/2h3ti3s.

Review from X-Cel Drywall Specialties, LLC

The Edge software is a great product and we are happy to use it everyday.

Pros

This estimating software is a very powerful tool for our everyday use, and it is extremely versatile. Updates and added features are easy to install and the program is always growing and getting better.

Cons

The program does not hold its place when changing from the take-off screen to conditions screen.