Trimble Estimation Desktop Logo

Trimble Estimation Desktop

Complete estimating software for MEP contractors.

Trimble Estimation Desktop Reviews

4.4

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend7.33/10

Reviews by rating

In general we like the product and we hope that it always stays at the forefront of technology for the benefit of all.
Viewpoint regularly engages its users to monitor their satisfaction with the product. The support team is willing to assist with any issues that develop and show a true willingness to help.
We have been very satisfied with Maxwell Systems, their support is top of the line. Mary Heinze is our account rep and she has been very good at helping us with all of our needs.
They generally just say, we have never seen that happen before and blame something else non related for the problem. It will always be your fault if the program comes up with any errors.
Their costumer support is not professorial enough and their usual respond: "post your complain on our site" - problem solved. We have three users for Estimation program.
It will convert the pdf's to a lower quality drawing and convert it to black and white which is horrible. It will crash if you import CAD files too big and lag significantly for medium size cad files.

CT

Craig T.

This reviewer only left a rating

Taunt Electric started electronic estimating with Trade Service, Estimation bought out Trade Service and we have been there ever since. Starting out with version 5. Estimation has turned the estimating software into what it is today with our version 9.1. the building of assemblies, and able to adapt to the several field we work in, Healthcare, water and wast water treatment, industrial energy generation,...

RW

Ronnie W.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing,

Viewpoint Estimation Is Electrical Estimating On Steroids.

Pros

This product offers so many features that are beneficial. Product is fun and easy to use. Takes the majority of the human factor out of the bid. Less computing mistakes. Speedy and accurate takeoffs. Easy pricing updates. Viewpoint Customer Support is made up of friendly knowledgeable team members which are eager to assist.

Cons

Really? Hmmm, nothing. Seriously, this product is amazing!

JK

JONATHAN K.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 201-500 employees

MEP electrical estimating

Good product for small jobs. Don't think it is good for multi-million dollar estimates. Maybe over time, I will change my mind.

Pros

The digital take off is nice

Cons

Cannot label things easily.

ER

Eddie R.

This reviewer only left a rating

We at Maddux Electric Company Inc. have seen many changes in our industry over the past 32 years. One of the most exciting would be the Technology we have at hand today. When we first started using Estimations in the early 1990s we never thought this type of tool would become something we could not do without. As the industry changed, so did the technology and Maxwell Systems has kept up with that...

JM

Jerry M.

This reviewer only left a rating

I used two electrical estimating systems before Maxwell. The one I learned on was DOS based, and a good system, but had outlived its usefulness. The second was designed by estimators, and was Lotus based. It worked fairly well, but required considerable knowledge of work in the field(I never worked as an Electrician), and I was constantly seeking input from others. We purchsed the Maxwell Electrical...

DB

Don B.

This reviewer only left a rating

We are a full service electrical firm with a specialty in industrial work, especially industrial control work. We have been using Estimation software since 1988. We have never used any other estimating software. We are currently using version 9.4.0. We only update once every 2-3 years due to the large amount of work involved. I attended Estimations training school in Jupitor, FL each year for...

JS

Jeff S.

Viewpoint Electrical Estimating

Pros

The structure of the program allows you to easily perform your take-off and is flexible to help you fine tune the estimate once it's complete.

Cons

There's one minor issue when you are using the digital take-off. Sometimes when you're doing take-off on the digital screen, it 'loses' that take-off when you move over to the take-off screen to enter it into the estimate.

CY

Cliff Y.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing,

I would recommend this software.

Pros

This software is easy to use, you can use it right out of the box, but it is 100% customizable to fit your needs.

Cons

The digital take is great it just still needs more fine tuning. at least for me anyway.

SD

Sonia D.

This reviewer only left a rating

I work for a mechanical and electrical contracting company. I do mechanical estimating, using Maxwell Systems' Estimation 9.4.0.2536 for the majority of my bids. We've been using the system for a little over 4 months. It was fairly easy to learn the basics, though it would be very helpful to have some classes to learn more. The fact that I have a 42" monitor for this system makes it much easier to...

WH

Wally H.

Project Manager/Estimator

Pros

It keeps me organized, my estimates are accurate and it's fast. When I need help Viewpoint is just a phone call away.

Cons

I deal with a lot of vendors daily, Viewpoint is the least of my worries.

CR

Charles R.

Construction,

Been using this take off since it was quest haven't seen any change.

Pros

It is user friendly and easy to understand summary reports are very helpful.

Cons

We just wish there was a way you could incorporate a cross section take off program into your system. We are still using a program by quest and it is out dated.

TY

Troy Y.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing,

Electrical Estimating software review.

Pros

Very easy to use and very accurate. We depend exclusively on this software to obtain high end jobs.

Cons

Occasionally I have to back out and restart the program, but it could be a user error....

CA

Chad A.

Construction,

Solid product for accurate takeoff

Pros

The takeoff flow has been set up to allow easy and accurate takeoff's.

Cons

I need more flexibility in handling and manipulating drawing files during or after importing.

PF

Phillip F.

I have been using estimation software for almost 20 years and would hi

Pros

Easy to use, well crafted, tech support always knowledgeable

Cons

We are completely satisfied with the product and would highly recommend to others

JH

Jim H.

This reviewer only left a rating

Hayes & Lunsford Electrical Contractors, Inc. is an 82 year old, 3rd generation electrical contractor operating in NC, SC, GA, TN & VA. We selected Maxwell Systems Estimation software after looking and using several other programs. We are currently using the network version on Estimation, which allows our database to stay on our server and can be accessed remotely. This allows help if a local computer...

RB

Richard B.

This reviewer only left a rating

We have been using the system for about 3 Months now. New Features such as Elevation Settings, Multiple Estimates within the Job are the immediate standout improvements I've noticed so far. The Ability to Open Multiple Estimates under one job is a definate Plus! Until we find the time to deeply explore all the new features, which is difficult to do when you bid everything on the street; I wont have much more to add. The Dataset is impressive with new innovative industry products, which are much more than our previous version granted that the version we were using without updating it was over 10 years old. All in All I would say it is a excellent product and for the last 11 years have always relied on the Software to put me in a competitive market place.

MB

Mike B.

This reviewer only left a rating

I have been estimating for over 30 yrs and have used various estimating softwares and spreadsheets. I used Maxwell's Estimation with a past employer and was pleased with how quickly I picked it up. I am now in my own consulting business and needed estimating sofware. I chose Estimation because of my past experience with it and wanted something that was similar in the summary and bid summary print out for the customers I work with. The sales associate was helpful and knowldgeable about thier product. Their support team is very helpful also. I would reccomend Maxwell Estimation to anyone who is looking for estimating sofware that is up to date with the latest programs for quick and easy estimating with great support for your needs.

LB

Lou B.

This reviewer only left a rating

We have been a Maxwell Estimating system user for many years. We initially had some different thoughts,concerns and trepidation about estimating with a software system. Once we became comfortable which wasn't very long we were producing estimates in a very professional and methodical fashion. What the system does is makes estimating and pricing more consistent. Material prices can be updated through data services which speeds up the process of having accurate and updated bids. By breaking out estimates by floors,sections and categories we are able to set up awarded projects much easier. We even use the system for detailed change order requests which provides thorough support for getting them approved.

TV

Tim V.

This reviewer only left a rating

We us Maxwell systems to quote projects to all phases of our business. We are a plumbing company that provides services to Residential, Commercial and Industrial. We used Excell spreadsheets before Maxwell. We took a week long class in Arizona to learn the program and practice. Very good training we were 100% ready to estimate projects when we returned. The customer support has been better in the past when we first started. We use to call and get problems resolved right away. Now we have to wait for a call back and I'm not always sitting in my office waiting for calls so I've missed those call backs (frustrating).

CM

Chris M.

This reviewer only left a rating

Central Electric was established in 1975, and is a 2nd generation family business. Revenues have grown over the past decade from $1M to over $10M. We have been Estimation customers for 2 decades. Our company has grown over the years and we continue to learn and benefit from the capabilities and strengths of the program. We encourage any small- or medium-sized contractor to utilize this program. In the end, you get out of it for what you put into it. Customer support is excellent. They have very timely responses and are well versed with the program. We also value their learning tools & webinars!

TH

Tim H.

This reviewer only left a rating

We have always used Maxwell Systems here at J&J. I have been using your software for 8 and a half years and have found it to be somewhat user friendly. We did have a few issues with the software, but it wasn't the software, but the trainer and his interpertation of our needs. After some exploring, we were able to work through these issues. We are constantly upgrading our data base and find the software meets our needs for all of the different projects we bid. All in all, I would recommend this product to anyone who is looking for a different program to meet their estimating requirements.

MP

Monique P.

Construction, 1-10 employees

Estimating Software Usage

This was more for general contractors and not specific to the field I need: HVAC/Mechanical

Pros

Estimating Capabilities on Projects

Cons

Too much info. . .not specific to particular field

RB

Richie B.

This reviewer only left a rating

My company does jobs ranging from a small service call to multi-million dollar projects. We specialize in industrial and commercial design/build projects. When we started looking at estimating software several years ago, Estimation stood out above above all others. Their customer service is second to none. Our Account Manager keeps us up to date with new software revisions and anytime we have a question either her or the help desk is just a call away. I highly recommend this product for your estimating software.

GB

Gary B.

This reviewer only left a rating

We have been using Electrical Estimation for better than ten years now, and the product just keeps improving. With each new release, we discover new features and/or product upgrades, and new hardware options allow us to keep up with the quick turnaround schedules required in today's bidding environment. Now, a decade later, I can't remember how we ever managed without it. All that, plus first-rate customer support from a dedicated account manager, is what keeps partnered with Maxwell Systems.

TC

Thou C.

This reviewer only left a rating

We are a plumbing shop that has been in the Omaha area for the past 30+ years. We are a full service plumbing shop that does everything from service to multi million dollar jobs. It's been a family owned company since its inception. I am not sure what the original purchasers were looking at or what they used before Estimation. We are currently using Estimation Verison 9.4.3 Service Pack 3 Our account manager Mary Heinz has been very helpful and has not disappointed us yet.