NCR Aloha Reviews

NCR Aloha

Restaurant POS system optimized for handheld devices

Review Summary

Pros

It seems like a solid system which would be durable and good through wear and tear. Can have multiple units in one restaurant as well.

Jennifer C.

TJ S.

Cons

Terrible customer service. If you have multiple locations it's a terrible idea to have this.

Joe L.

TJ S.

Lack of ability to speak with service managers. We are operating a business and struggle to maintain standards when fighting with the computor.

Elliot W.

3.7

Aloha Everybody

We have partnered with NCR and have had a great experience from install to support.

Pros

Ease of use and the ability for our management teams to continue to program easily with out support.

Cons

The software and hardware were outdated in 7 years and cost a good amount of money. It’s understandable that technology advances exponentially however It becomes an annoyance to spend so much money for a limited time frame. NCR should have a trade program to help with the transition.

My Review

Overall, it's been a mixed experience. Our local retailer got bought out by NCR and that's been a difficult process because the level of personal support changed for the worse. One of our largest deployments was delayed by six months+ because they couldn't supply us with hardware! Yes, NCR could not supply the stuff they manufacture. But again, that's not a software issue. Specifically software, it's been a good experience.

Pros

Device compatibility across windows workstations. Ease of end user use and ease of basic programming.

Cons

The worst part for us is the lack of the ability to push out changes to terminals without doing a complete system refresh and taking the entire FOH down for > 3 minutes. Often we'll notice a price or an item issue during business hours and have to take the whole FOH down just to update a modifier or something of the like. Also, there's no compatible tablets that work with chip and pin to line bust and run faster drive thru service. That's more of a hardware issue for sure, but it's a real sour note for us. Additionally the IBER process seems to be pretty fragile when using third party services like omnivore and even above store reporting suites. We'll have an IBER crash at least once a week during a busy shift.

Aloha to Aloha

Aloha was a leader in the industry, but I don't feel they have kept up with the other, newer and more streamlined systems. I've often felt as though they keep trying to put makeup on the old version and not bring anything new. But the cost associated with this system is astronomical.

Pros

I really like the setup and the presentation of the software. The older versions were always clean and I like that they kept this through the years. The software works well and is user-friendly. The layout is nice and easy to read and find what you are looking for. I mostly liked the ability to pull up the reporting on my phone via the app. It was amazing!

Cons

This program continues to grow and expand but I don't feel it is doing so in a good way. While they focus on what they have always done, other systems provide more and seem to do so in a more streamlined manner. The support is lacking and hard to get through to the right person to help. They use so many people or satellite companies that have limited resources. I used one that said they were large and could handle all we were rolling out, but they could not. They were never there when we needed them.

NCR Aloha is here to stay

Very satisfied with the software programming overall. Very happy with our local account rep and local support. The support they give us is tremendous. We have been with Aloha / NCR for six years, started with 4 locations, and have added 3 more in the last 4 years. We have the same account rep which is terrific. He knows our Brand, our set up, and is able to make valuable suggestions to make us successful.

Pros

Asking the right questions to the right people, NCR can pretty much do anything we request. We use most of your product, including take out and delivery. I like that everything is integrated. We upgraded to command center from secure access to manager our 7 locations, great software. Having terminal access to the locations is great for testing and training. Management loves the Pulse App.

Cons

The way take out and delivery is programmed through AO. The delay between the POS data base and ATO is tedious. The help desk support lately has not been as good since COVID. Most issues need to be escalated to a level 3 tech, and no one can be found when needed. Waiting and waiting for a call back. We have to reach out to our local support in most cases to finish the support call. Very frustrating for our teams in the restaurant.

Easy Choice

I've had great experiences with Aloha over the years. Customer support knows when to escalate issues and generally the response times are quick. The software is easy to learn for FOH and back office manager functions are intuitive.

Pros

Aloha has the capability to handle any concept protype in development then seamlessly transition into multi-units. Reporting structure is best in class with unit level metrics remaining a priority.

Cons

NCR Aloha is one of the pricier options which should really only be utilized with multi units. It's too robust and complicated for the average mom and pop place.

It always comes down to service

I withheld final payment for the system until all the kinks were worked out and toward the end, I was told I was being given a discount of 10%. I still paid the full contracted amount that was agreed upon before the system was installed, but was confused how the discount was applied since the payment was the same. After many discussions, I finally understood: I was given a pre-purchase discount that...

Pros

It works! It accomplishes what we need for the most part and the issues that arise from time to time are generally dealt with easily.

Cons

Service. Setting up the system was a horrible experience. There were no less than 3 trained technicians working on the install, yet it took 4 painful weeks to finally get it working the way it should. Because it is a computer, I find it hard to believe that we are told sometimes that it cannot do that.

15+ years experience using Aloha POS

Aloha used to be more an industry standard but they are falling behind the times due to outdated software and ease of integration.

Pros

Ease of usability for Front of house Reliable Industry Standard/ Familiarity Good customer service if you pay for that service

Cons

Outdated software Limited additional software upgrades Lack of reporting options/ We use secondary program to generate reports (CTUIT)

Just ok.

The system could have changed since I used it but I didn’t exactly love it where I am primary English.

Pros

It had a lot of different features. Many options for different reports(ie tax and sales) and customer information.

Cons

Once I learned the system it was easy but there was so many steps to get from point A to point B sometimes. Also I used this software at an old workplace and it was all in French. Although it had an English option not everything translated and some of the things that did simply didn’t make sense.

CEO

A positive experience - works as advertised - we added Aloha features liek ATO, OLO nd these continue to challenge us.

Pros

Robust - does a lot of things. In fact does more than we know how to do.

Cons

Too complicated - not intuitive. Take a long tome to understand it. And - after using for 15 years - we still done know all it can do.

Aloha is Modern Looking

Too Slow, Bad Customer Service, and Not User Friendly at All.

Pros

Seems newer in style, table layouts are nice, and Equipment is newer/modern.

Cons

Customer service is horrible, when using in Casinos Comp using is too complicated and time-consuming, and this P.O.S. is not good to use in high volume businesses.

NCR Aloha

Our overall experience with NCR has been great. The product, while it may be on the higher side of pricing, is well worth what you pay for. You just have to utilize it properly.

Pros

We started out with multiple POS systems across our properties, NCR was the easiest to use and most user friendly for FOH and BOH staff. It is easy to train on and easy to deploy once you have multiple locations. We have tried many other POS providers out there and NCR has always been responsive and quick to solve any issues or answer any questions that may come up.

Cons

Built in reporting lacks compared to other providers, their online reporting tool is good but still has a ways to go when compared to Avero. The initial roll-out of connected payments was needed by us and I wish we would have not went with the Verifone pin pad product they offered at the time. They quite often break down and are buggy.

Aloha! Hello!

Pros

Aloha is a lifesaver! I have used many many systems in my 10 years as a waitress and the majority of the companies I have worked for prefer Aloha. The amount of modifiers per entree items help with being intuitive and helps with server training as well. Each entree can be assigned certain buttons that help the servers efficiently place orders with ease of access. There is also a way to add and delete buttons so that should your menu change or need updating, there is a way to update within 24 hours.

Cons

Adding and Deleting buttons is a little complicated if you are not familiar with the system. While you CAN do a lot with the system, it does take a lot of customer support to help any new users navigate through the software. This is a small price to pay for the ease of access that Aloha provides.

Aloha POS works great

Overall this product works very well, and is very easy to figure out if you sit and learn for a bit. There are many integrated functions that allow us to do many things within the system. The staff finds it very easy to use as well. Very few problems.

Pros

I can edit most things on my own, and the ease of changing things in the POS is fairly simple. The ergonomic design makes it easy for staff to use.

Cons

I think the customer service sometimes lacks, in terms of getting through to the right person to help and then the problem never truly being resolved. Some of the buttons I have needed in the past, are not allowed on my end and I have to call and have someone add them to my end which is silly.

Aloha for Restaurant Chains

Overall very positive, my rep responds to issues quickly. The helpdesk at night and on weekends needs further training to resolve issues quicker.

Pros

The Aloha system is easy to use, easy to update, and is stable.

Cons

I would like to see Aloha partner with large delivery companies to develop a seem less software addition for incoming orders. It also would be nice to see Configuration Center have an option for live screen view when you are building out menus.

Ease of use Software

Been using Aloha POS software at three of our restaurants. Easy to train staff. Only negative is that NCR is too big of company to respond to customers needs on a timely basis.

Pros

Quick to learn. Great for multi units operations. No monthly fees, can purchase Aloha outright. Provides necessary reports to efficiently run and operate your business. Durability.

Cons

NCR support response time to issues . Monthly Fees for optional products e-cards, loyalty. Unable to purchase swipe e-cards from other sources.

POS functionality

It is too difficult to navigate the back of the house functionality. There are too many steps involved.

Pros

Ease of use for servers in that the categorization and screens are easy to follow and remember. The checkout feature for daily data capturing is also very usefull.

Cons

Back of the house programming. Changing buttons and designing screens, along with changing the footer on the customer ticket, is too difficult to navigate easily.

Best POS enterprise on market

Have used over 4 different POS enterprises. Aloha and NCR is best service and options no questions asked

Pros

Have used full service, QSR, and mobile pos products and always have been satisfied. Hosted services are a huge plus. Customer support is always painless and quick to produce a solution.

Cons

A little pricey but worth paying. If app is implemented it is based off POS database making some changes to the app not feasible

Overall Satisfaction

Great and proactive experience.

Pros

As a franchise organization, I like the back of the house reporting and capabilities. Easy to use for the front of the house.

Cons

Programing new items into the software can be very time consuming.

Aloha POS

Pros

Aloha is amazing if you know how to work it.... You can run everything through it, reports, inventory, sales. It tracks what the employees are entering and who is voiding out tickets.

Cons

You have to take a class in order to really understand the full potential Aloha offers. We have used the system for 4 years and i am still having trouble figuring out each function.

Dependable product

Pros

We used Aloha in most restaurants I've worked. I have used Aloha in Central America in 4 different locations. Purchased by owners for its ease of use.

Cons

Its older designs are not easily updateable. Support used to be a crapshoot, but now in the super competitive market of specialized POS, I'm sure they have improved their phone professionalism.

Perfect for Restaurants

Overall it works great with ADP interface for timekeeping.

Pros

Aloha is perfect for restaurants industries. I used it at Fatburger at all our store locations. We pulled payroll hours and exported it into ADP easily.

Cons

I can't say much about what I liked least about it since I only used it for payroll purposes. However it had over great functions.

Aloha POS

Pros

I like the ease of use. Even a brand new employee of a company can jump right in and use this intuitive software. Also you can use it as an in house system or could based.

Cons

Setting up in house can be more confusing if a restaraunt or store is doing it themselves. Takes a little bit of tech knowledge to setup.

Very easy to use and to teach

Pros

Very user friendly, easy to teach to new employees. Easy to process payments and close out checks. Easiest use for bartenders I've seen.

Cons

Different functions available at different places I've worked at. If there is ever a power outage there is no built in backup battery or access to the open checks.

Time consuming, but functional

Pros

Weekly and summary reports are easy, clock ins are easy to adjust. Having the ability to temporarily disable a menu item is great.

Cons

It takes multiple steps to change a menu, and to add items. You have multiple cash out sheets, so it is complicated to count out at the end of your shift

Costly, but great operating, staff enjoyed, easy system

Pros

Ease of use, staff friendly, back office ok, once set up. Reporting is easy & efficient. Cloud based a big plus

Cons

Set up is brutal, cost is high, customer service was non existent. System did crash more than once. Wasn't easy to integrate payroll or sales history