Bókun Logo

Cloud-based booking management solution for tourism industry

Bókun Reviews - Page 2

Hospital & Health Care, self-employed

Where shall one begin...?

Bókun is hard to avoid in Iceland if one is working in tourism - sadly, there is way more room for it to improve than would be desirable after so many years, especially when accommodation and transport also come into play... Still, hopefully, the current down time has been used to efficiently improve the program.

Pros

In the Icelandic tourism industry, in which I used to work for 5 years, Bókun seems to be insurmountable when it comes to booking activities related to a trip, be it individual or (small) group excursions. It is a wonderful attempt at pooling all operators into one platform.

Cons

Maintenance during business hours without any notification toward operators, resellers, and administrators. Synchronisation issues between Bókun and operators on what is available and what is not (group size/vehicle capacity etc.) resulting in extremely iffy situations with clients as well as between operators and resellers. Less enthusiastic customer support, available only during banking hours,...

Hello there, thanks for your review and we're happy to hear that you think our platform is a good tool to have all operators in one platform, however, we're sorry to hear that there're a couple of things you don't appreciate. We're always trying to improve the platform and value the feedback we receive from our customers and we're sorry that you feel that our support hasn't been as enthusiastic, however,...

VJ

Viktoria J.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

The only booking software with options to match all needs

We used it as an operator (selling our products), as a reseller (selling others products) and through the API which we used in the software we were building. It was very easy to use and set up and offered help whenever we needed. As we were using the API we talked to both developers and customer support often and they were kind and helpful.

Pros

Whatever we needed it to do, it did. Rare were the cases when we could not set up products as we wanted them and then the developers listened and made the options available. If you are looking for software to offer your tours or sell other companies' products, Bókun is the way to go.

Cons

Sometimes it had down time that lasted for longer periods of time.

Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 11-50 employees

Great features, with some annoying bugs

Good value for money, good connectivity, good support. Product owned by large OTA is a minus in the long-term when operators are fighting to minimize OTA dependence.

Pros

The best part of this reservation software is the marketplace that allows you to contract directly with other suppliers and resellers of tours and activities. Live support is also a good feature that most other reservation systems don't have. The help articles are quite extensive as well. Product import from Viator is a great feature.

Cons

There are some annoying bugs and features that can leave you clicking around furiously to find a solution for quite some time, eg. the setting up pricing was a mess. The software is being developed constantly and it's possible that these issues have been fixed since, but I got quite frustrated a number of times when setting up the products. Also, raising the commission from 0.1% to 2.9% without any prior notice was not cool -- I thought the agreement was that we were paying with data to Viator... and now we're paying both ways. The OTA-owned reservation systems are creating data oligopoly situations similar to that of Google which is not the right direction in my opinion.

GB

Garion B.

Entertainment, 1-10 employees

Read their terms of service - their stance towards refunds of fees at the moment is disappointing

Mixed. In some ways it's great in others it's very frustrating. Their support is comprised entirely of non technical staff. In fact they're usually not even well versed in the software and you are told please wait 10 minutes while I get an answer for you. Sometimes they can't get you an answer. There are also some gaping limitations in for example their custom exports. One example is you can't output the amount of refunds you make in a month.

Pros

It's been good overall. What we use them for is a means to have an attractive booking calendar on our website for our customers to use to book our tours. Their platform allows for integration with some good sites like Expedia and Tripadvisor where we can also sell our tours. Platforms such as Airbnb experiences have to be dealt with manually but the booking desk on bokun.io allows for this pretty easily. It also manages availability of seats on our tours and has some good features such as automated messaging and custom exports for your sales data.

Cons

Right at this very moment my biggest gripe is with their Policy towards cancelled bookings through their platform. It's not like we've lost a crippling amount of money but it's that they're not taking a strong supportive stance towards their customers. How it normally works is if someone books through Bokun, then bokun will charge you 2.9% of the total amount of the sale. They add up all the sales...

Hi Garion, We appreciate and understand your concerns around our refund policies. As you said, we're addressing this on a manual case-by-case basis right now and so we greatly appreciate your patience. Bokun only charges our 2.9% service fee for bookings made on your website when using our online booking engine; all bookings from other channels such as offline, from OTAs like Tripadvisor and Expedia,...

AG

Angeliki G.

Leisure, Travel & Tourism, self-employed

One of the best in its field

Booking widget right in my web site making bookings a piece of cake! And with the backend manager I have every detail and information right in my fingertip making my life much easier.

Pros

So many functionalities and features that can cover the demands of tour operators and travel agencies. Pricing is is very fair compared to alternatives. You can even find partnerships within the software. An overall very nice booking software. Ended up using it after a long market research. And can say I'm satisfied.

Cons

Since bokun was recently buyed by tripadvisor I believe it hasn't "settled" to what viator wants to provide. Things have been fixed and I believe that there are plenty more that will be included by viator to make this booking software the top one. Many hasitate knowing that this is not a privately heald software but viator being behind it but I personally can't see why this is something that bad? On the contrary this can be something really good making you feel safe being partners with one of the leading companies in the industry.

Thank you for your review, Angeliki. We are so glad Bokun has proven to be so helpful and successful as your online booking engine and backend reservation and channel manager. Best, Bokun Support

RE

Rae E.

Immense value for money

In my opinion BOKUN is the market leader for tour software that would suit ANY sized business. Their support is terrific and they are helping us grow our business with their channel manager functions. We have direct connections to major OTAs including Trip Adivsor/ Expedia and can also offer private booking areas for hotels and small retail travel agents with personalised pricing & currency. So far anything that I've wanted when I started, or decided along the way that I've wanted- they've delivered. I'm obviously stoked with the product.

Pros

We have been using Bokun for roughly six months now. I spent 12 months trying and discarding other online platforms for tour sales because they were either too hard to use (even for a techie like me) or they lacked functionality. We were starting with almost no online sales and as a small business our budget was quite low. I was looking for a system with lots of functionality, connections to the OTA's and scaleable pricing. AND BOY did I find it!

Cons

There's nothing I don't like- just take note that with an amazing array of functions comes many moving parts. You need to be quite good to manage it all- but if in doubt their support is terrific and can take the hard parts off your hands.

Hi Rae, Thank you so much for your review! Please do not hesitate to reach out to us at support@bokun.io if you have any product suggestions or any questions in the future -- we're here to help! Best, Bokun Support

GS

Gðmundur S.

Tobacco, 201-500 employees

Bad response rate in technical support

In most part good, the response time of technical support, mainly regarding the API is ridiculous. It's almost never shorter then 4 days and if I don't get an answer in about 10 days then I'm not gonna get answers. I would say about 70% of the queries I send to the support that need technical are not answered. But I would like to point out that when I get answers from the programmers then the service is always good.

Pros

nothing in particular some parts are good others not so good. Nothing on the top of my head I can think of.

Cons

The API is often changed without letting us know. That extras was changed so that each product has its own extra instead of many products can have the same extra. We rent out equipment in about billion tours, imagine if we need to change the picture of lets say the hiking shoes.

Hi Guðmundur thank you for your review of Bókun. Bókun's support team has grown substantially in the past year after joining the TripAdvisor family and we're currently expanding to be able to provide better (and faster!) technical support for our customers. We are happy to hear that the support you have received thus has been positive and we look forward to continuing that in the near future. We...

GL

Guilherme L.

Easily integrated booking software

Bokun has become more easy to use with time, and is our go to booking system. The seamless integration with Viator and the great support to suppliers are distinguishing features.

Pros

Bokun has the great advantage of seamlessly integratingn with Viator products, with changes made on Viator automatically updating in Bokun. Managing availabilities is easy and intuitive once you get used to the user interface and the placement of options. Marketplace is a good bonus. Website builder is a good bonus, although very limited. in its costumization. The support team is very good at solving issues and the response time is very fast. The Pro subscription has some benefits, such as adding users (ex. drivers/guides) and using the mobile app for guides to see their passangers and activity, when they are assigned to them.

Cons

Integration with some OTAs can be a bit more time consuming, but nothing impossible. Sometimes availabilities can malfunction for a bit, but this can be solved by asking help in support. Needs getting used to. Despite its benefits, the Pro subscription is mostly lackluster as you are charged a fee for each online booking, and most of the Bokun apps offered have not been of any use to our company (exepct the mobile app).

FH

Francisco H.

Hospitality, 1-10 employees

Finally found a Online Booking Hosting that fits all my needs

Online Booking was basically my main reason why I joined Bokun. I create my own webpages and I had used other online Booking Hostings in the past but none gave me so much as Bokun has done for me. I can connect/linked my products from Expedia, Viator, tripadvisor to Bokun a worryless of keeping track of my allotment since Bokun does it for me. I am 100% satisfied with Bokun.

Pros

It is easy to use if instructions are followed, Support Service is always there to help you or willing to get the work done for you, they are very courteous and attentive. Bokun has so many features to helping optimize Online Booking according to your customization. One gets so much for so low of charge. Helps a lot to interact and create partnerships with other users and companies from all over the world. Definitely 100% satisfied with Bokun.

Cons

I cannot think about anything that I like the least, perhaps at the start of becoming a new user I might had found it a little too much of information to learn, especially because it was also a new software and lots improvements were done to make it functional, but now it works flawless for me.

Thank you for your kind words, Francisco. We appreciate the feedback, especially about the process of learning the Bokun software. We are continuing to work on improving our education and onboarding experience since we know it is a lot to learn, especially at first. Please do not hesitate to reach out to support@bokun.io if you have any additional questions or comments. Best, Bokun Support

BT

Boris T.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Great service that constantly improves

Using Bókun, either through the API or through their own booking channels is easy and straightforward. The pricing is in range of other booking systems out there. We used Bókun for a few of our clients and for a few websites we made ourselves, and it is always very easy to deploy. If I had to give one reason for you to use Bókun it would be because they have a solid customer support for an already easy to use system. If you need a booking system, Bókun should be the one.

Pros

The redesigned user interface is great. It is now simpler to use and product management is much better than a few years back when I first used Bókun. I like the ease of finding historical bookings for customer service issues.

Cons

I used to like their pricing policy until they changed it recently. Now it became much more expensive than it ever was before (ever since there was a flat fee paid per account, thankfully that is no longer the case). In general, other than the price surge, I think it is still one of the best booking systems out there. There were some issues with availability and accessibility to service some time ago but less since they switched owners. I worked with a company that used Bókun's API to book tours and setting the API was a bit challenging due to their API documentation being a few iterations behind the actual code.

CM

Cristina M.

Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 51-200 employees

Amazing digital platform to offer tours & activities

It's a perfect tool to focus all your experiences of the different suppliers and sellers in one system. At least with all sellers listed in the platform. Everyday we are having more sellers that were already selling our products in Bókun, so we have changed our agreements and made new ones through Bókun. It's easier for us. And above all, the possibility to contact new sellers registered in the platform.

Pros

The opportunity to get in touch with so many suppliers around the world. The function of the system to connect seller and supplier.

Cons

When the system forwards the booking confirmation to the supplier, the supplier doesn't receive the contact details of the customer.

Hi Cristina, We're so happy to hear that you've had such success with the Bokun B2B marketplace! Thank you for your feedback about the booking confirmation details. Each reseller can choose when to share customer information with the supplier. We recommend you speak to the reseller(s) you are working with and ask if they can adjust when they share the customer contact details. If you need more information about how the reseller can make this change within their account, please email us at support@bokun.io. Best, Bokun Support

Recreational Facilities and Services, 1-10 employees

It was a good deal till it started to cost more than others

We have been using Bokun for over 6 month now. At the beginning it seemed like a dream. Good pricing, instant chat and they actually made us think they were taking care of us. Then we started to find issue and bugs in the system, issues that have been there for months, and they don't know how to answer. The pickup list display Room instead of pickup place meaning you have to open every single booking to know where you have to pick customers up. Passenger list is bugy aswell. Bokun should stop trying to make websites for us and focus on the core business: the activities features There should be a package option that let you offer a discount if customers book two or more activities.

Pros

Being a Tripadvisor company makes the integration with Viator good

Cons

It does not have a Package Creation Feature at all Plenty of bugs and they don't even know when they will got them fixed Backend seems from 15 years ago The email options are a joke

Hello, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Capterra about your experience with Bokun. Whilst we are very happy that you have found the integration with Viator useful, I apologise that you have not been as pleased with other parts of the platform. I would like to mention that the pick-up list now displays both location and room, which should resolve the issue that you mention...

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

A great tour booking software

I used Bókun as a reseller, as an operator, and through an API, so from all possible angles. They did have issues, but worked on them and resolved them in a timely manner. All in all, the best tour booking software I worked with to this day.

Pros

The ease of use, the number of tour operators available through the platform, constant updates, and a solid customer support. Their UI is user friendly now that they remade most of it and is actually a massive upgrade from what it used to be.

Cons

Sometimes, they would break the API and not inform anyone about it, creating massive problems until fixed. They also had some cache issues with availability, but that has since been fixed.

Andy M.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

Bokun Continues to Improve Better & Better

I enjoy using Bokun and the user experience improves all the time - Keep up the good work Bokun Team!

Pros

Bokun's features keep getting better and better. With Bokun's new interface and booking widgets it's a much easier process for customers to book products. In fact, the number of clicks to make a booking has been reduced thanks to the new popup booking widget which also retains whatever has been added to the cart.

Cons

They are not many cons to using this free software - Apart from being able to have global questions which can be shared between products!

RB

Ryan B.

Recreational Facilities and Services, 1-10 employees

Starting a subscription fee at the start of winter in a pandemic?!?

We are massively disappointed by the move Bokun has made from commission based bookings to a monthly subscription fee. This is the worst timing possible to release such a feature at the start of the winter season (most activity companies quite season) and during the COVID-19 pandemic when bookings are already low. With the additional option of paying for more additional features?? We put a lot of time and effort into Bokun setting up all our events. We will not be using there service again, we have now found a better/cheaper booking service.

Pros

Easy to use, used to be great for small businesses.

Cons

We had some issues with customers paying on the mobile phone through stripe on Bokun and has now become unaffordable for small businesses.

Hi Ryan, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I'm sorry to hear that you are not happy with Bokun's transition to a subscription-based model. Our Pro plan is currently free until the end of the month, after which it will cost $49 per month. Opting out of this plan shouldn't take more than a minute; it can be done easily in your account. You can always opt in and out seasonally, as...

Maarten v.

Hospitality, 1-10 employees

Best way to grow our business

If you run a small tour operation I would certainly recommend getting onto Bokun, it gets you started faster and at the same time set you up for bigger stuff in the future.

Pros

Bokun delivers a system that integrates just about every functionality we need as a Food Tour company. I particularly like how we can easily find new partners to hook up to the same functionality. Using bokun we can give our clients a seamless experience and at the same time keep administration on our end as lean as possible.

Cons

Cons isn't the right word, the company has a few places to work harder on. - Support could respond faster - Support and new feature roll-out has to get more transparent - E-commerce integration has to be enhanced. Up selling, down selling, cross selling are all in its infancy at this moment. - Partner integration needs more work, the software currently doesn't work well with a model where brick-and-mortar tour agencies sell tours on behalf of us. (Ticketing displays incorrect messages to the end user, invoices can only be sent to one party, not to a different invoicing department, payments are not assumed to come in just before or just after the tour date).

Hi Maarten, Thank you for your feedback. We hear you loud and clear about each of your suggestions for improvement, and we thank you for taking the time to let us know. We are working on improving support response time, our new feature communications, and many product enhancements. Please do not hesitate to reach out to the support team with any other suggestions or ideas. Best, Bokun Support

RA

Ricardo Alexandre P.

Entertainment, 1-10 employees

Used other for less than 6 months

Excellent b2b features

I found bokun because I noticed that some products were highlighted on Viator experiences. I asked how could I get that and they told me to take a look at Bokun because the experiences that were connected with bokun were highlighted. Since it was the first time I saw this kind of software, I found it amazing. But when I was faced with a weak checkout UX for our customers and with a bad support, I searched for other solutions.

Pros

The best part of bokun is the marketplace. It allow you to connect your business to thousands of businesses. And, as far as I know, bokun has the biggest businesses pool. Because of this, if your priority is b2b, I think that this a great option.

Cons

At the time I was using it, customer support was the worst part of it. I think it was a new team, so they didn't knew the features and they seemed like bots because when you exposed a problem, they just searched for related articles and suggest you to read them. Also, you just could talk to them via chat or email. And, since this is for business, I think that they should a phone support also. The checkout widget that they provide to our customers is also very weak, compared to other solutions. It has spelling erros, because they do automatic translation and because they don't create a suggesting safe UX. Even after exposing some spelling errors on the widget, because they use automatic translations, they weren't willing to fix that.

Hello Ricardo, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. On the one hand, we're glad to hear you enjoyed the Marketplace. That's right, this is a very powerful tool for both suppliers and sellers to create and expand your network and increase your revenue at the same time. On the other hand, we're very sorry to hear that our customer service did not meet your expectations. We strive...

DP

Dubravko P.

Hospitality, 11-50 employees

Execution and support

Benefits are to have a software we can rely on, it provides ease of use, it's practical and have the best support we have ever experienced of any partner or platform we have worked with.

Pros

Speed, connectivity, ease of use, support.

Cons

Adaptability and tailoring for specific needs. We provide special products and software is not so adaptable for such services.

Hi Dubravko, Thank you for your kind words about our support team. We understand your concern about the lack of adaptability of the product for some features. If you haven't already, please do reach out to support@bokun.io and let us know what your specific needs are, and we can work with you to find solutions for your business's unique needs. Best, Bokun Support

Henk-Jan B.

Pleasure to work with Bokun

We are quite satisfied having chosen Bokun. Besides being a well functioning tour booking and management system, it allows you to expand your business easily by assigning agents, affiliates and joining other marketplaces.

Pros

The look & Feel is great and obviously much effort was put into this. The whole system is fairly intuitive and quick to learn. The help documentation is extensive and written well. Should you not find your answer the help team is quick to respond. Fairly easy to set up, the web modules all look good, the dashboard works well in managing your sales and tours in real time. Setting up agents and affiliates also fairly easy to accomplish. Integration with marketplaces such as Viator also quite smooth, all in all, a good experience and would definitely recommend using.

Cons

One small issue, no warning when an agents credit is about to reach its limit but we can live with it :-)

Hi Henk-Jan, Thank you for your kind review of Bokun and the team! We're glad that you have had a positive experience with us, and we hope to continue that in the future. We value our users' feedback, as it's a reflection of how we can improve and serve you better. Your agent overdraft limit is a great feature suggestion that we will forward along to our Product team to look into in the future. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other feedback. We're always happy to hear from our users and learn how we can work better together. - Bokun Support

GA

Georg A.

Wine and Spirits, 1-10 employees

Great for bookings, want to see it move to operations

It is OK I worry much with the new owners and what they will do with the pricing of bokun, expecting to move back to our own online booking system if prices rise and just use bokun to book other products with partners.

Pros

Easy to manage bookings, good feature set around it. Many sales and suppliers in the system, good sales canal.

Cons

Management of the products can be complicated and often not working correctly. Would like to see better management around staff, able to assign bookings on guide or driver guides. The calendar on our web can be slow some times.

Hi Georg, thank you for reviewing Bokun! We're happy to hear that you found our system useful and easy to use. At Bokun, we strive to help our users grow their businesses, including selling your products through channels like your own website, global OTAs and the Marketplace. So, if you want to explore any of this, do let us know! Our developers are actively working on Resource Management, so stay tuned for more information on this soon! Last but not least, if you require any assistance on product management or anything in general, please don't hesitate to reach out. We're happy to help. - Bokun Support

PR

Paulina R.

Consumer Services, 1-10 employees

The people there are great!

The customer service is good, sometimes the technical staff is really slow at figuring out things. I find that they have a great corporate culture and I like working with people like that.

Pros

You can do wonderful things with is if you know where to clic and what you are looking for.

Cons

When it is updated, sometimes the Help section is not updated. There are some features that sometimes do not work properly or we would like seeing modified e.i. adding the day (Monday...) into the Activity Calendar rather than just the date itself.

Hi Paulina, Thanks for taking the time to review Bokun. We're glad to hear that you've found our tools easy to use and our customer service has been nice to work with! We are currently reviewing our Helpdesk to improve and update articles and add new ones. We'll make sure to try to update our articles promptly with any new product releases moving forward. Thank you for the suggestion regarding adding the days in the Activity Time Selector Widget. We will pass this on to our product manager for review. Don't hesitate to reach out with any other feedback! -Bokun Support

OP

Oleg P.

Great customer service

Pros

It is easy to set up tours and activities when you work in the tourism industry.

Cons

Easy booking engine for excursions and activities.

CS

Cihan S.

Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 1-10 employees

Not ready to release, still in development, complicated and poor customer service

We have products on Viator. They offered us to move all our products on Viator, which was not made properly. Let it aside, the customer service keeps passing our problem to someone else and each time I had to explain everything from the scratch. They say they will get in touch in a few hours but no one actually comes with a solution. The software has connectivity issues even with their own company! If you are a travel company, consider using this software twice!

Pros

Owned by Tripadvisor Can integrate to our Wordpress website

Cons

Complicated Poor Customer service Very hard coded, you cannot manage product portfolio with ease as they promote

Hi Cihan, We're sorry to hear about your experience. We looked into your account and it appears that there was differing availability information between your products on Bokun and Viator, but that the issue has been resolved. We empathize and understand that this is a complicated process. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us at support@bokun.io if there is any other ways we can help. Best, Bokun Support

Hospitality, 11-50 employees

Super asset to TOs and TAs

Great Market place and smooth connectivty to partners

Pros

Customer service Pricing Constant development

Cons

Just need to add separate entry process for different segments

Thank you for your review and for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you have had success using the Bokun B2B Marketplace and connections to additional distribution channels. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any additional questions for suggestions. Best, Bokun Support

PP

Paula P.

Professional Training & Coaching, self-employed

Bokun is the best software for the management of bookings in the travel industry

It's one of my favourite softwares. I use it on a daily basis to manage the travel business I work for and I cannot even begin to describe the amount of time and energy I save everyday by using Bokun.

Pros

Bokun is the ultimate software for travel operators and travel platforms alike. It provides 5-star service, a full on-boarding process with one of their experts. Plus, they are fully integrated with big travel platforms such as TripAdvisor and Expedia, so you get all bookings in one place and you don't need to check multiple platforms daily, which is a big time saver. Moreover, Bokun provides beautiful and customizable widgets for your products to put on your website, which increases conversion rates.

Cons

It is pretty complex to use, but that's both a strength and a weakness. They do offer professional on-boarding and a great resource library, which makes it relatively easy to learn for anyone with

Hi Paula, Thank you for your review and your kind words. At Bokun, we strive to keep improving our product and our level of service to meet our customers' needs. Please do not hesitate to reach out to support@bokun.io if you have any ideas for how we can improve the product, particularly in regards to the ease of use. Best, Bokun Support Team