Kounta Reviews

4.46/5 (104 reviews)

Evan James

Highly adaptable and intuitive POS

Reviewed 2017-03-22

Kounta as a POS system has been able to grow with us, providing flexibility and ease of use that is a massive relief when you have the pressures of an expanding business to contend with. The ability to simply add or subtract registers, combined with the functionality of a internet based system makes change relatively pain free. Wireless waiter stations, Albert pay terminals, Bluetooth printers (which I don't have but am excited about and will probably get), its all so easy to use. Why pay thousands of dollars in cabling, installation costs and labour in setting up your system? Good question - i'm not sure! Just research what you want - call Kounta, put it in and download the software... add your products, tailor it the way you want, and go for it!

Pros
Ease of alteration and basic use for staff

Cons
The back end of product input is a little cumbersome - a simply category/sub-category/sub-sub category system works best. Sometimes this is represented by Department/category/sub-category either way, it is far more flexible for product input, button organisation and more granular for reporting.

Greg Kelly

Kounta review from a "cloud integrator" perspective

Reviewed 2015-02-26

I am a cloud integrator and have implemented a number of Xero + POS add-ons. I select Kounta for my customers purely on its hospitality focus and it's table management add-on. I have been really impressed with how it handles the concept of modifiers and how smooth the integration is with Tyro electronic payments. However, I feel that there is a lot of navigating around the 'back office' to get what you need to get done. The CSV data importers are good, but I still found I had to do many repetitive updates manually via the user interface that the importer didn't support. The user interface is a bit big and boxy for my liking but understandably some see this as a benefit if working off a tablet in a cafe most of the time. The client registration process was a bit tedious (maybe at least for us implementers/advisers) but when up and running my customers love the product. The POS register is really powerful and soon after becoming power users the only niggling complaint I get are small enhancements to customisations which are unfortunately locked down in the product anyway. e.g. layouts on receipts, dockets, shortcuts panel, etc. I have also been really impressed with Kounta's email support and communication on release notes. You can really tell they are working hard in making this product better and better. Personally, I would like to see more flexible pricing plans for store owners that have multiple (small-sized) cafes, which will hopefully encourage the greater use of bump screens for the Kitchen/Brewster and mobile registers where waiting staff can take orders + electronic payments at the table. Maybe I am just over the little pad and pencil. In short, I am a big fan of Kounta POS in food & beverage. Totally recommend.

Emma Irvine

Great system

Reviewed 2018-09-28

Pros
Great easy system to use. Easy to change payment methods and products and downloading and updating on excel also possible. Just starting to sync with Xero so that’s good too. Customer support really has improved massively since we started using it 2 years ago. I would recommend as a good all rounder.

Cons
Reporting in close detail has been a tricky one but with Kounta insights it seems to be improving although I think it’s still work in progress.

Gazebo Reservations

Absolutely fantastic product, team, and set up.

Reviewed 2017-02-14

While originally using a completely outdated and problematic POS system, we were put in touch with the team at Kounta. They were explained as being the most genuine team in the business, but always on hand to help and with a system which really spoke for itself. Not only was the recommendation totally correct, I am now the one spreading the word of just how simple the transition was, and how happy we are with the product. Not only is it a really easy system to set up and organise, especially with the helpful team over at Tech Panty - a shout out to Andy who is such a 'yes-man' and always on the problem solving case - , we were completely changed over on such a tight time limit with absolutely no stress from our end. We've been up and running for a few weeks now, and staff members who were completely dedicated to the old systems are now totally sold on the new system Kounta has provided. It is an easy system to set up, use on a day to day basis and fills all of the reporting tick boxes you can have. The fact that these teams have worked in hospitality really shows through the product; it's set up like it has been trialed for a number of years with all issues that could have arisen already ironed out. 10/10.

Pros
The ease of use, and the simplicity of the screens.

Cons
Nothing.

Leanne Milhano

Kounta for Cafe Use

Reviewed 2017-03-12

We have found Kounta to be excellent for our cafe. Staff need no maths skills to operate it easily. the addition of photos makes product selection fast and accurate. The only thing to watch is disgruntled staff that have been removed from rosters........they can sabotage the system by changing or deleting things. My advice, once they have been given notice immediately remove their access to Kounta and give them other duties until their time has been completed.

Pros
Overcomes the issue of staff not being able to read or do any math. Provides multiple copies of invoices so that service can easily be tracked. Allows lots of options to modify products which gives each client an individual experience.

Cons
Takes ages to set up if you have hundreds of products and options......but it is worth doing.

Andrew Mansfield

It is the only cloud based pos for hospitality I think we could use and run our business

Reviewed 2017-06-08

It allows us to easily manage customer transaction and to report on total sales and products in a really efficient way. We've grown in our understanding of our business enormously just reusing kounta

Pros
The sales transaction from start to checkout is great. The printing of customer orders in multiple locations plus the kitchen. Modifier are also the best in the market.

Cons
Scales and scanner integration for use with a retail store. Scales can't be and scanner with Windows is clunky

Bradie Mandarano

Awsome POS system! Easy for staff, easy for management. Outstanding customer service!

Reviewed 2018-04-04

Pros
Can manage from anywhere. Easy to update products on prices on the spot. Great reporting and crm. Love that you only have to use functions that you require.

Cons
I would like to be able to view only POS from device which is not assigned as register. Also, not sure if already available, but we would like to be able to process gift certificates through the till easily.

Amelia Salmon

Great Customer support

Reviewed 2017-11-17
Review Source: Software Advice

Immediate customer support is a huge plus

Pros
Ideal for hospitality..providing hospitality POS solutions that were once considerably more expensive. Understands the Australian market. Great customer support. Was having a problem at 7:30 am on a Saturday morning and got an immediate response from a real human. Big ticks for that! Easy to update and maintain.

Cons
a little bit steep for a new business. But overall a great piece of software..the retail capacity is limited but works well for a cafe with a few retail items.

Jimmy Parks

Horrendous POS System.

Reviewed 2017-06-28
Review Source: Software Advice

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS!!! MOVE ON TO THE NEXT!

Pros
Nothing to say here. There is nothing good about this system except for the promptness of my customer service, who usually has bad news. But as I now understand my customer service rep doesn't ACTUALLY work for Kounta, she works for the company that sold it to me. I wish they would have sold me one of their other POS options.

Cons
Server level order control is an upgrade, they don't tell you that when purchasing, even though that is one of the most basic things. Check splitting is the most laborious I have ever experienced, if you have a table that needs multiple splits get them a refill of their coffee because it will take a while. No over all system close out, no way to re-open a check. In lieu of that simple option they have a refund button, but, guess what if you had multiple pay types IE Cash and CC that doesn't work, can only refund whole amount to one pay type, which then screws up the server report(one of the biggest reasons to have a POS system) Integrated credit card system has worst customer service ever. If you need to get someone after 9 good luck. Randomly loses checks! Have no idea how that happens but if you are on a check and the system reloads(which it does a lot) bye bye order!

Geoff Burns

Count on Kounta

Reviewed 2017-04-05

Kounta is the best point of sale. I have set up five different POS systems since 2000 and Kounta is by far the best and most flexible. Our business could not have grown as quickly, successfully or efficiently without it. Absolutely love the production printing set up. Nothing compares. Team this with Tyro EFTPOS and it's a total winner for fast bar service.

Pros
Production printing and cloud operation

Cons
Needs a cash-out facility

Glen Peacock

Works well and very simple to use.

Reviewed 2018-07-09

Ease of use. Good reporting.

Pros
It's ease of use is the most compelling feature. The reports are reasonably comprehensive too. Great for a hospitality start-up.

Cons
There are occassional troubles with printing, where the software somehow loses the fixed IP address of a printer. This is usually temporary, however. It's need to be connected to the Internet is also a con. Whilst it works a little offline, it does become unusable quickly.

Doris Yan

Kouta is pretty good

Reviewed 2018-08-19

Kouta is a smart point of system sale, Kounta has the most amazing customer services

Pros
Kounta system is very smart and easy to follow.

Cons
* It seems a little pricy, we are in NZ and it's in AUS dollars excl GST. * it needs wifi connections to run all the time. (perhaps it's the trend of our world now :) One questions in the meanwhile: is there a function to retrieve how many dishes of an item we have sold in a period of time? many thanks!

Emma Ainsworth

Great product

Reviewed 2018-02-21

Pros
Easy to use Easy layout to navigate Colour coafing Can add photos of products Lots of addon options

Cons
Cost for multiple registers No learning platform for new staff Addons can be costly Account customer function could be better

Karen Dunlop

We love kounta!

Reviewed 2017-02-25

Running a sweet shop can be very busy with lots of products. We love kounta - it works for us and we find the reports and sales by information invaluable!

Pros
It's capacity to review a day's sales or last week/ year!

Cons
Stock management Grouping of goods No integrated weighing scales!

Santie Morgado

The best customer service and support I have experienced!

Reviewed 2019-02-11

I am new to the hospitality industry and there is so much to learn and I need to learn fast. Kounta's excellent customer service and support has helped me tremendously to streamline my sales and to look professional. With so much to learn in the beginning, it was comforting to have a friendly voice always on the other side of the phone to assist me , and all the staff at Kounta have always been very patient with me (when I don't understand). Service like this is rare, and I absolutely appreciate it. I will always be loyal to this Company and will recommend it to everyone. Kounta has a fantastic product and they have the support to match it in order for you to utilize your products to the fullest and get value for your money. Thank you for a great product but even greater customer service and support!

Pros
The support and customer service. It is no use to have an excellent product and the user don't know how to use it. Kounta matches their excellent product with excellent support.

Cons
I have not anything negative to say about this product.

Christopher Middleton

Kounta helped solve our need for a simple POS that integrated with CBA's Albert.

Reviewed 2018-07-11

I am able to better analyse my business performance and make real time decisions.

Pros
It interfaced with our existing Albert and IT setup at the Cafe. Our staff quickly adapted to new methods for operating and recording sales. The interface is reasonably intuitive and the videos help with any learning gaps.

Cons
Some of issues that irked me. 1. There is no way to test workflow (options, etc) in a test mode. So you do everything in a live environment (and constantly have to swap to POS and back to test). So you can end up with 'false' sales figures, and incorrectly recorded refunds, or deleted sales. From the back office it would be good to 'test' new products setup before making them active. 2. There is no way to adjust a reconciliation if it is incorrectly entered. 3. The next price points are not attractive for small businesses to step up.

Kim Green

Hombre Franchising

Reviewed 2017-04-21

Always have great support and easy system with great plans for working with franchises to improve platform

Pros
Works with us to improve

Cons
Reporting needs improving

George Prodromou

This is my first experience with a could based system. Very happy so far.

Reviewed 2018-02-27

Pros
Cost effective , easy to train new staff, easy integration with our accounting system. We are looking to now add rosters and stocktake to streamline our business.

Cons
Service can be effected when the system goes offline. This can also effect cash up as when the system is offline you are unable to process accounts.

Kathryn Williams

Kounta Online POS

Reviewed 2017-03-15

Looking for a POS system for our new business we looked into quite a few. Kounta has been one of the easiest to use. Simple product additions. Great customer interface and fool proof back office. Syncs perfectly with our accounting software. Makes doing business so much easier

Pros
Its simplicity.

Cons
Needs to have addable categories for individual business needs

Lloyd Sexton

Kounta customer review

Reviewed 2015-02-03

Product is good but not all encompassing. We need to be able to amend previously finalised takings if changes or errors are made. This has been communicated to Kounta and apparently will be looked at and hopefully rectified in a further release?? The price schedules are limited and not really applicable for my size organisation. I would like to have 2 x POS devices however paying more than $50 per month would lead me to making the once of purchase for a non-cloud customised POS system. The fact you need to add a new register to have an additional device seems ludicrous to me and I would beleive would limit your customer base. What about all the cafes out there that want one register but multiple devices to take orders. Sorry to be critical but it appears to be a mechansim of revenue raising, albeit you could get the same results from just growing your customer base by having a more universal and cost effective product. I'd suggest you could come up with some alternate pricing schedules where adding an additional device for $10 per device per month versus a whole register would add value to your product. I'd happily pay $60 per month to have one register and two devices to take orders to that register. Maybe I'm missing some sort of constraint hindering you from enabling multiple devices on the one register however in this day and age I would have thought it would be easy. Food for thought, I won't be increasing my subscription but rather work around this limitation. Again, I'm not trying to be critical but what I get for $50 per month from Xero for a cloud based accounting software versus what I currently receive from Kounta for $50 is a month, the difference in value us astounding. The reason for an overall rating of 3 stars primarily relates to your pricing schedule. Don't hesitate to contact me if you wish to clarify any of this feedback.

Response from Kounta

Hi Lloyd
The honesty is appreciated and good to get feedback on how our pricing scales for small business, we'll have our team get in touch to discuss how you and your client can get more value from Kounta to help balance out the equation.

Steve Butler

Great POS system for all to use

Reviewed 2017-02-17

As our venue is a social enterprise employing people with a disability and or mental health issue, we require a user-friendly POS that can assist with Literacy and numeracy while being an overall easy to use system. Kounta is perfect for what we required. Thanks Kounta

Pros
visual aid

Cons
freezing at times

Anton Hughes

Kounta took care of everything we needed effortlessly.

Reviewed 2018-03-26

Up and running quickly with great support.

Pros
Simple Setup, Easy to train staff to use. Staff were familiar with the software and were happy to jump in and take orders at busy times. Instant reports are really great!

Cons
Cloud based software will always let you down when you're flat out busy. Murphy's Law! Maybe some way to operate and upload at the end of each day would be an answer.

Peggy Adams

POS software

Reviewed 2016-11-11

This POS software is very user friendly both for set up and day to day to day. That said, there are some functions that don't have great instructions and the user has to revert to trial and error

Pros

Cons
Instructions are a bit vague

Response from Kounta

Hey Peggy,

Thanks for your review! We appreciate your feedback and would like to take this opportunity to understand how we can support you even better.

Please reach out to support@kounta.com for a session on our system.

Olivia Schaefer

Absolutely easy to use, friendly and fast service

Reviewed 2018-03-19

Pros
Functionality and easy to use. Effective reward system, our customers get rewards and they can see their points accruing

Cons
it won't just take phone numbers to allow changing profiles, with so many email promotions these days, not many customers want emails. If you can manipulate the points with just a phone number that would be great

Lynne Meale

Kounta Konvert

Reviewed 2017-04-17

New to Kounta - i have found it an intuitive program whichh makes it easy to use and learn all the features it offers .

Pros
Covers all the aspects of my business I need stats on

Cons
Like to phone for help sometimes