Strategy & Research Logo
Strategy & Research

Customer insights & brand research survey management tool

visit website

Strategy & Research Reviews

4.8

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.98/10

Reviews by rating

It's easy to learn, easy to use, and even easy to teach. I love this software and would love to become some sort of certified expert user if at all possible.
I love the flexibility of options in terms of how you can deploy questions and the type of questions you can ask using this software. What you can do with the data afterward is just as excellent too.
What I love most about Qualtrics is the suite of tool built into the software to help analysis the results. I also appreciate all the options in crafting the survey.
There are only a few things that we have found the software incapable of doing, and they have been rather minor. We did request that the company add them to their "to-do" list.
Our one complaint is that the price has crept up over the years to the point that it's significantly higher than we were paying 4-5 years ago.
The data analysis options offered within Qualtrics are weak, as are the data cleaning options. This is a non-issue for smaller, or non-scientific surveys.

Ho'omana Nathan H.

Visiting Assistant Professor

Higher Education, 10,001+ employees

Qualtrics is a super powerful, customizable data collection tool but may be overkill for some projec

Transcript

Nathan: My name is Nathan. I'm a Visiting Assistant Professor. I rate Qualtrics, five out of five stars....

MV

Megan V.

teacher

surveymokey is better, and often cheaper

Transcript

Megan W.: Hi, my name is Megan and I'm a new teacher induction manager for a major metro school district...

Jason H.

Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 employees

I love experimenting with new ways I can use Qualtrics every day!

We have started to use Qualtrics and its API to capture data from users and then pass that data into our other systems. We have been developing so many ways to automate processes on our campus and Qualtrics is becoming the engine that drives the automation, but also the main interface for the end user. For example, we have been using for self enrollment for certain faculty development courses. A faculty member goes to a registration page, which is actually just a Qualtrics form, fills out a little data and then clicks the Registration button. The faculty member is then automatically enrolled in the selected course in Canvas. That's just one small use case that saves a bunch of admin time.

Pros

I literally use Qualtrics for everything but surveys. We use it as a form tool, quizzing engine, LMS course enrollment, and so much more. If you want to capture any type of data from a customer and literally do anything you want with it, you need to take a good look at Qualtrics.

Cons

One feature I wish was available in Qualtrics would be the ability to use 'Switch' statements in the survey tool. It's set up so that you have to use tons of 'If' statements to set embedded data (variables) to specific data.

GP

Graham P.

Higher Education, 5,001-10,000 employees

Powerful survey tool

It's been a great product and very powerful for what I am looking to accomplish, I just wish the reporting results were a little faster to build.

Pros

What I like most about Qualtrics is the ability to quickly and easily build a survey. I also like the ability to apply logic and branching to my surveys to create the survey flow.

Cons

On the Results tab, when I view the results, the default report gives various charts and graphical displays for each question. This pretty much shows everything you want to see, but in my case, I only needed to see the Mean of the answers for each question and had to go through each question and remove all of the graphical charts and grids and then select the Mean only. I wish there was a quicker way to simply select what I want to see instead of removing these other, unwanted results.

MV

Megan V.

Used monthly for 6-12 months

surveymokey is better, and often cheaper

Can see the potential, but ultimately went back to Surveymonkey for ease of use.

Pros

They have a very robust platform for sorting data so you can look at whatever sets you need to look at.

Cons

Setting up the rules and generating the reports was more trouble than it was ultimately worth--needed to many calls to customer support.

Jennifer P.

Telecommunications, 201-500 employees

The Gold Standard

Another thing to consider when evaluating Qualtrics is that they have an incredible support team. From your account manager, to your success manager, to the random people you connect with within the support organization, everyone has been stellar. I know that if I have a problem or even a random question, they will make sure I'm taken care of. It's a great relationship and they really care about each of their customers on an individual level.

Pros

Where to begin? Qualtrics is truly the gold standard in survey software. They have built an exemplary product over the years and keep adding more inventive features to be a whole system solution. Unlike other softwares that are either easy and basic with limited functionality or powerful with a steep learning curve, Research Core is both easy to use at a very basic level and has the power to handle any sophisticated needs you can think of. I've yet to run into a way to survey that the software can't pull off.

Cons

The only thing I can think of is one time that I found an incomplete answer in the knowledge base, but that's me REALLY trying to think of a negative.

Kathleen C.

Utilities, 51-200 employees

Excellent experiences with Qualtrics!

An easy to use system that not only collects data, but allows us to also create reports - both reports that we can export, and reports that we can share via link.

Pros

This software is very easy to use. When working with people with various skill levels, it's nice to have a system that anyone can learn. We really like the variety of question types and the ability to create custom reports from the data. Customer service is also outstanding - whenever I've had an issue, they've been able to talk me through it fairly quickly. The support reps are very well trained. The support site is also great. I also know from past experience that Qualtrics does look at suggestions sent by users , and I appreciate that they have implemented changes to the system based on user feedback. Because of that, I always encourage people to let Qualtrics know if there's an issue or if there's a feature they'd like to see.

Cons

We're a non-profit and it's a little pricey; I wish they had smaller packages for non-profits and small organizations, or monthly options for some features (i.e. SMS messaging - we only need this a few times a year.)

Ryan O.

Religious Institutions, 501-1,000 employees

Qualtrics Gets It

We leverage the Qualtrics Research Platform to drive key decisions for the overall direction of our organization, assess the needs and well being of those associated to our organization and on and on. We truly cover the full spectrum of use with this product and it has been absolutely critical in the decision making process and in helping us drive forward in our work. Qualtrics simply has it together.

Pros

Qualtrics is well run from top to bottom. Their products are excellent, intuitive and are capable of supporting customers of all variations. Unlike so many companies that get one thing right and then drop the ball in another area, Qualtrics excels at every level. Their software is excellent, their integration support and API is excellent and their support is hands down the absolute best in the tech industry. There's really no question in my mind why they were gobbled up before they could complete their IPO.

Cons

Because I typically have to deal with low level interaction with Qualtrics (APIs etc.) my ONLY complaint is that they have a lot of undocumented features. However, their support is THE BEST and they always help me through finding those features when I need them.

Debbie L.

Higher Education, 201-500 employees

Great survey software!

Overall, I found that Qualtrics is a solid survey program. It can do just about anything that you would want in a survey program. It has plenty of features and it is easy to use. If you get stuck on something, their customer service will walk you through it. They also have a lot of great literature for you to find the answer yourself.

Pros

This is probably the most popular survey program on the market and for good reasons. It has the ability to design surveys with a ton of options for questions -- multiple choice, short answer, longer answer. You can randomize questions, organize the survey by blocks, use decision trees. It is easy to use and the customer service is amazing. They will also recruit panels of participants for you. It is easy to download the data into excel or other usable formats.

Cons

I haven't found much yet. I am still learning how to use it, but most things are pretty intuitive. The one thing I would say that I don't like is that even though they will recruit panels of participants for you that match particular characteristics, they are relatively pricey.

Chad Ian P.

Excellent Platform

In this day and age, having mobile-friendly administration of data is key. This massive organization uses many data collection products/vendors, but Qualtrics is the only that I know of which works mobile administration into processes so easily

Pros

The analytics options for performing certain data manipulations in the system before exporting data makes developing reports a very quick process. I love the chat-based support function as well.

Cons

I find it odd that when removing (decrementing) cases from data sets, as I always do to remove preview data, that the time that the system takes to update numbers is rather long. I chatted with product support one day and was given a work-around (i.e., add an embedded data survey block in survey flows), but is still odd.

Sharon H.

I have been using this program for about 5 years and find it to be essential to my business.

I am able to conduct research for customers that I used to contract for. It helps my business and keeps me up to date on a number of new methodologies. I am focusing on B2B customers now and this is a very helpful tool for both conducting surveys and analyzing the data.

Pros

Software is fairly intuitive and support group is great at answering questions quickly. Customer support has really improved over the years. You just have to call to get a person quickly. Generally very knowledgeable.

Cons

Takes some time to get familiar with the software. Online chat is slow probably due to lack of staffing. If you want help you have to call. They add new things constantly, hard to keep up, but that is actually a good thing.

BM

Brigitte M.

Mental Health Care, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for 6-12 months

Qualtrics CoreXM

I used Qualtircs for over one year now. Coming from a REDCap background, I miss some of the program's features compared to QUaltircs. Qualtrics is not as intuitive for the new user and takes twice as long to build and test surveys. The reports feature of Qualitrics has multiple glitches and is not as viewer-friendly when trying to look at data within the platform.

Pros

I do not like this program. I do not have anything about it.

Cons

I do not like the survey creation format of this product. It is not intuitive, and there is no easy way to make mass changes. It takes multiple steps to update the values of the multiple-choice options manually.

DA

Dawood A.

Construction, 1,001-5,000 employees

Integrated automation for all phases of surveys

Qualtrics Core XM has contributed to automating all stages of opinion polls, from preparing and creating the survey to collecting data and preparing it for the beginning of the analysis process. I have been able to increase the number of targeted customers with surveys and I am no longer afraid of emptying the data, as we get it ready, and the reports have also provided us with a lot of important information, especially with regard to the target groups. The quality control process has improved for us.

Pros

Qualtrics Core XM is an integrated platform for preparing and sending polls of all kinds, as it enables you with simple steps to enter the survey questions in one of the ready-made templates that it provides and then send the links to the targeted and challenged individuals based on the contact list you have selected. With ease, the person receiving a link after clicking on it will answer the questions. Qualtrics Core XM will show you through the collected data the number of respondents from the sample you selected, and prepare the data tables collected from them to make it easy for you to export them to a statistical program to start the analysis.

Cons

I like Qualtrics Core XM very much and I don't find many negatives in it, as it is easy to use for everyone and in simple steps you can complete your task, we just need more ready-made templates with more modern designs, as well as giving more flexibility to coordinate backgrounds and texts.

AK

Amanda K.

Religious Institutions, 10,001+ employees

Great Product and It Keeps Getting Better

Overall I really love Qualtrics. I'd highly recommend it. It allows for great collaboration, I like that I can customize using Java or HTML, and it also applies to many types of research. The other cores are also great. I'm always excited about the newest feature rollouts and it seems they're always getting better.

Pros

I love that Qualtrics is so intuitive and has so much functionality built in. I also love that they are consistently working to improve it and roll out other useful features. I seldom find it's missing something that I need for my job.

Cons

I have hated the reporting and dashboard functionality, as well as the administration dashboard. It's not that they're terrible, but I can create better stuff for myself by downloading the raw data and manipulating it in Excel. HOWEVER, we do have major dashboard, reporting, and administration updates coming in the next month which sound very promising and like great improvements. One other negative, you can't have two people working on a project at once - it gets buggy and changes get lost. It's also difficult to have two Qualtrics pages open in your browser at once. I've managed to manipulate it to a degree, but it doesn't do super well.

mh

mark h.

Education Management, 5,001-10,000 employees

A very powerful survey application, very intuitive to use! Extremely flexible, superb support

great survey tools obviously, but we have built some wonderful educational applications as well Without the flexibility of Qualtrics we would never have even tried to create these apps on our own.

Pros

The broad variety of question types, the generally intuitive inteface that lets you start simply, but encourages you to explore its more poweful features. I like the ability to easily get data out in a variety of formats (SPSS, CSV, etc) and add Tableau support was a huge plus!!! The ability to customize the look and feel is very nice, and the flexible distribution options (email, anonymous links, etc) work very well for us. The ability to embed objects in the GUI Editor is awesome, we have built training, teaching modules in Qualtrics without advanced tech help just because the tools are so easy to use!!

Cons

the Table of Contents tool is limited by rules put on place for surveys. We'd like to see educational options settings that would allow more creative use of Qualtrics for educational use.

DO

Dan O.

Fine Art, 1,001-5,000 employees

Useful Online Survey software perfect for Social Distancing

For my job I collect student equipment requests which can then be filled and placed into lockers for contactless pickups. Being able to have students fill in a survey online has been vital to my job during the pandemic. Doing the same thing through email would have been a nightmare and would not be as thorough.

Pros

The ability to customize the questions and their format is great. Tons of options multiple choice, blank fields, etc. Once the data is collected you again get to format it to your workflow. I export to Excel to use and add to the data being collected as I see fit. I can then easily share that with colleagues when needed.

Cons

There are some features that seemed hard to find to me. The name of some of the features are also not intuitive so looking them up is not easy, and could use some work to refine and make it better.

Research, 5,001-10,000 employees

Powerful survey tool with user-friendly interface

Pros

The functionality of Qualtrics has dramatically improved over the past five years. There is now much more flexibility in customization, saving questions to blocks and libraries, analysis and reporting, and even appearance. There is a big range of question types and lots of options for customization for each question, and it's easy to drag-and-drop to rearrange the survey. There are some powerful analysis tools and you can easily download your data in different formats (CSV, TSV, SPSS, XML, etc.). The user/survey-taker side is clear and has been problem-free for our needs.

Cons

Can sometimes run into issues with scrolling and saving changes to surveys when using Qualtrics on my iPad.

CA

Corey A.

Research, 1,001-5,000 employees

Qualtrics, while a little tough to get a hang of, is incredibly functional and adaptable.

I benefit from the ease of survey design, and my research benefits from the complexity of surveys that you can design!

Pros

What I like the most about this software is that once you get a hang of the smaller quirks and settings, you are able to do incredible things in terms of survey design and distribution. The ability to design complex experiments with logic branches and switches that are triggered by the number of people that have taken the survey or even answered a specific question in a specific way is extraordinary. Even with all of this that I've mentioned, almost everything is done without the need of knowledge of javascript - something very intimidating to many.

Cons

What I like least about this software is that it has a rather shallow learning curve - that is, it takes a long time to get used to its quirks. Slowly but surely you will become comfortable, but it is only once you have taken the time to read through their guides or done enough trouble shooting yourself.

SP

Salvatore P.

Higher Education, 10,001+ employees

Incredibly Adaptable

I have utilized Qualtrics for a long list of purposes, and its features allow for a very diverse use basis. While Qualtrics shines as survey software, it can also be used for validation purposes as well a means to redirect customers or students based on need (dictates by questions they answer).

Pros

It it easy to begin building surveys, however, there are an incredible number of ways to customize Qualtrics for various purposes. In some cases, coding or branch logic may need to be set up, however, Qualtrics can be used as a validation tool, as a survey software, as a means to hold a virtual orientation through the inclusion of videos, or even as a means to link users to a meeting or other resource. The options are limitless.

Cons

It is easy to get started with Qualtrics, but it can be challenging to master. Setting up Branch Logic or Display Logic can be frustrating for some users, however, I do find that some of the visual organization tool help to allay some of these concerns. Fortunately, there is an incredibly large database of support materials. I have found customer support to be very communicative and helpful.

Education Management, 1,001-5,000 employees

Quality Data Gathering and Analytics tool

Our district uses this tool survey the public, our patrons, and district wide staff regarding various things. It has been a good tool to help our district decide on general direction needed to go in certain areas, and provides us with a fairly comprehensive graphical view of the data gathered. It's been a generally good experience, but does not meet our other forms needs. Its really just a survey data gathering tools with enhanced analytics, nothing more.

Pros

The forms setup to gather data is a straight forward and fairly intuitive. You have some workflow items available for notifications and other such tasks which come in handy. Our communications director uses the data analytics heavily to assess overall patron opinion throughout the district, and then develops communication out to the public accordingly.

Cons

It's a little more expensive than it probably should be. We looked at several other like applications and found that this product was certainly near the top in regard to price.

IB

Ian B.

Computer Software, 501-1,000 employees

Simple Survey Site

Overall it's pretty seamless and I would recommend it for researchers who need to conduct surveys and polls of the general public.

Pros

I like how you can take surveys on their platform in real time and from a mobile device. Their surveys allow you to contribute feedback to shape the design of cool products/tech and other research.

Cons

Sometimes it's slow which makes completing the survey a little tedious. Also sometimes you will be half way through a survey before it finally determines you weren't a fit for the survey in the first place which can be annoying.

RS

Rebecca S.

Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 employees

Surveys Made Easy

We were a campus that used SurveyMonkey and researchers would send their survey to our office to create, distribute, and generate reports from. Now with Qualtrics each researcher has their own account and create, distribute, and review data at will. It has dramatically increased our utilization of the survey tool and created less complications for our IRB committee to review products in. Now the data is safe in the hands of the researcher and not a third party. We are thrilled with how easy Research Core is to use and how well the product is being adopted!

Pros

Qualtrics is very easy to use and puts the ownership of survey creation and data collection in the hands of the surveyor. With Research Core you get all the bells and whistles without any added stress of learning a new tool. In a matter of minutes you can create a survey and begin collecting data. Implementation was a breeze with dedicated training and guidance from Qualtrics. We recently changed our authentication method and Qualtrics Support did a great job in getting our login changed over in a matter of minutes. AMAZING!

Cons

My only complaint about Qualtrics is the creating or sharing of survey distribution lists. They are easy to create/use, but our institution does not have them readily available for use.

LR

LORI R.

Media Production, 501-1,000 employees

Above and beyond

The Support group is amazing. No matter when I call they are kind an caring. You can hear the smiles in their voices and each one seems to really love their job. Yesterday and today Mark helped me with a particularly involved survey flow, and his suggestions and information led to the best outcome for us. And of course, the annual summits are unbelievable!

Pros

Easy to use. Engineers are open to changes and challenges, upgrades and upsets :)

Cons

The newer reporting system only allows one question per page, so reports can be very long, we sometimes have 300 questions~

Lon D.

Higher Education, 5,001-10,000 employees

Great survey software

Our University owns an enterprise license for this software program so it is readily available for our use. Recently I had difficulty with a survey b/c the results were not reflecting what we thought we had done with the distribution of it. That said, it was user error and through GREAT customer service we discovered what had happened and chose to close it out and distribute a second one that was formatted correctly. I have now used this program for well over four years and would highly recommend it to anyone needing a survey tool for gathering data/information. Great program!!

Pros

This is a very powerful program for creating and distributing surveys. On the surface it is fairly user-friendly, however, there is a depth to this program beyond what you see on the surface that can be incredibly useful. That said, customer service is really amazing and is willing to quickly assist when there is a question about doing something with the program that is not just your standard survey creation.

Cons

It is difficult to understand the depth to this program without some significant time spent or communication with customer service. The settings/tools are a bit kluge unless you fully understand the "language" of survey creation and the research it supports.

AA

Alexander A.

Used other for 2+ years

Easy-access questionnaires

Pros

Qualtrics is pretty powerful, yet it remains "accessible," with a very easy learning curve. At its essence, it is a backend for designing questionnaires. Basic features include your typical types of questions (multiple choice, radio boxes, checkboxes, free-text entry, etc.). Advanced features include display logic and sub-questionnaires. You may distribute via email invitations and monitor questionnaire completion. Finally, it has some rudimentary analysis tools that can give you some descriptive statistics. Export options include .CSV, if you want to get the data into Excel or some other tool for more complicated analysis.

Cons

Don't try to do anything fancier than descriptive statistics. But you can export data pretty easily to do analysis and/or visualization elsewhere.

MN

Mark N.

Education Management, 51-200 employees

A powerful survey tool with useful bolt-ons

Performed admirably as a survey tool but reporting and analysis didn't meet our needs and cost ultimately led us to switch platform again.

Pros

Comprehensive survey build and management tool

Cons

Reporting and analysis tools not as easy to use / powerful

HM

Heidi M.

Hospital & Health Care,

Qualtrics is awesome

Besides having a great product, I have consistently had excellent service with Qualtrics support. Of the many different survey software packages I have used, Qualtrics is the most nimble, intuitive and useful.

Pros

The software has great functionality. Qualtrics provides exceptional training and tips. The customer services is outstanding.

Cons

There are some limitations in the area of question design. Specifically with options for how you would like responses.