Artifactory

Artifact repository manager for software development teams

Artifactory Reviews

A good companion for Java software crafters

Pros

Any software company, after a while, has its own internal tools that you can't keep copying to each new project. Also, any Continuous Integration/Deployment system needs a repository for the artifacts. Artifactory serves perfectly to these needs. The web UI is simple enough, with a nice search engine, good integration with main CI servers and a REST API. Maven support is available in the OOS version and many other packages are supported in the Pro one (eg. NPM, Docker). If you're behind a corporate proxy you'll love the repository mirroring to limit the hassle with IT. Available on-premise and as cloud service. Upgrade is easy.

Cons

It mostly works transparently, but be careful if you're behind a too strict proxy: recently our client's IT security decided that many JARs from Maven Central were dangerous, redirecting to a "forbidden" page. We soon ended up with the repository full of JARs actually containing that page. It took a while to figure out, so remember to keep the MD5 check enabled. Sometimes it seems that Artifactory starts leaking memory and we need to restart it. The Pro version is not really cheap.

The Best Binary Repository

It's very intuative and a standard of binary repositories, the basic verion supports all packages and Jenkins and other tools. Highly recommended!

Pros

We use the WebDAV shares functionality to our source control so when a developer commits/delivers code and binary to the source control (RTC) it moves the binaries to Artifactory so it keeps the source control safe from binaries. I also like the support for all types of packages including Conan C/C++ packages. It has a connector to almost anything including Jenkins, Docker, K8S, etc.

Cons

The free/open source version lacks functionality comparing to it competitors such as supporting comiting more than one file and some packages support.

Perhaps Not Needed, But Interesting?

Cool graphics, easy to understand, but ultimately not needed.

Pros

I'll admit that I've been very intrigued by the fancy digital mapping used in JFrog's general interface, and especially so in Artifactory. Cool graphics let me know exactly what all my information is doing or going, and is intended to provide clarity.

Cons

The software provides so much clarity that I'm not actually sure if I need it! Seriously, it's a cool product, but the features are so automatically included in other products that we already use... it seems like an unnecessary add-on.

Great tool for artifact management

We use Artifactory for all of our packages, the Ui is amazing.

Pros

Works will all artifact types, can work for any organization, very visual tool, intuitive and professional tool, gets updates frequently.

Cons

Takes a while to feel comfortable around, can be very overwhelming at first, there is quite a learning curve.

Great and convenient service for package management

The Artifactory makes it easy for us to manage a lot of dependencies in different repos. Also, it enables us to verify builds, versions, and overall health of our products.

Pros

I like the intuitive UI, the search option, our whole company uses the same Artifactory, good integration with Docker and Git, great for Jenkins.

Cons

Steep learning curve, takes up relatively large disk space, I'd like to customize the way the data is displayed.

Only tool for packaging and deploying continuously that supports everything throughout our pipeline

Pros

It is a clean, efficient central point for your CI to run through. Build and store versioned packages of any component you need, deploy via docker, setup custom build scripts and notifications, do virtually any task need through automation. Takes deployment times from days to hours (at least it did in our environment)

Cons

I'm not sure if this is specific to this piece of software or just a fact of the function but it is definitely a large setup and management overhead. We use a team of 3 to manage and contribute to it. Because there are so many technologies feeding into it and so much research needing to be done I don't think you could manage what becomes the core of your CI setup without some serious complexity

Reliable and simple to use repository

We use artifactory as repository for both applications packages and infrastructuse as a code software.

Pros

Web interface very intuitive. I also like the availability of virtual repositories, so that you can "merge" a local with a remote repositories showing as a unique repo.

Cons

When I manually update a package the definition of path to upload to is a little complex.

Convinient Artifact Managment for large organisations

Very satisfied with our teams choice of working with Artifactory. As our projects keep growing, the integration with said service is making the transition to a more scale-able project smoother than ever.

Pros

The ease of use and the learning curve of Artifactory is worth the time learning and making yourself comfortable with it. The UI is very welcoming and not overwhelming. Team integration is easy since Artifactory is widely used among my peers.

Cons

With lots of options and paths available, it's easy to get lost on your way of finding the better way of achieving the desired results for your project.

The best one-stop shop for artifact management

Pros

Works with all major artifact types: npm, docker, helm, debian. Universal login support through SSO. Easy to generate unique tokens for each app.

Cons

Could be more clear in the instructions about how to set up the server for development vs a hardened production instance.

Great product!

Artifactory is clearly leading the way allowing me to use both SaaS and on-prem to manage all my packages types /NuGet/Docker/ etc. The UI is dead simple to follow and the support is almost always available. Cons: Having said that, it comes at a cost, you need to have a budget for this if your not using the OS version.