Claris FileMaker Reviews - Page 2

My Most Valuable Tool

Excellent customer support and a vast library of online k knowledge and solutions.

Pros

I have been using FileMaker since probably 1988. That would be 32 years. It is the most valuable tool in my office. I can easily create a database to manage specific information. I have databases I set up early on that I still use. I created a time and billing program when Macs still ran on system 9, and it has worked ever since with no modifications. I have been using FileMaker in court to win cases since the first Apple laptop computer. Kf you want command of your information, FileMaker is the tool to help you do it.

Cons

1. It does not work well with Adobe Acrobat. When I import pdf's I am unable to annotate them or even highlight passages. 2. FileMaker server requires ports used for web hosting. I had to set up my website host computer at a separate location. I am sure I could have found a workaround, but that is beyond my ability.

First data base I ever used!

This database has been used at both my jobs over the last 20 years....so it must tried and true to be used for so long.

Pros

I was brought into a job where I had to learn this program on my own. With the "help" tab and a little ingenuity I was able to pick up on the concept right away. I was able to build my own forms from the already set up data base. As years went on we had to change the forms and the information we collected and it was a cinch to figure out without the use of the "help" tab. When I moved into a new job I was able to test my knowledge of FileMaker pro in an updated version. As I had the basics down I was able to figure out how to use it for calculations as well as counts and general use of the database. I had to pretty much put together a balance sheet using a data base. It was interesting and fun to figure out.

Cons

I don't really have anything I can remember that was irritating to me that I thought should be done differently.

Just-right database management software

I've been using FileMaker Pro as my database management software for over ten years. I'm dug in enough now with it that I don't expect to change, but I also don't want to.

Pros

I came in as a total novice, not a coder or any kind of database professional, and was able to build the forms and pages I needed to keep the info on my contacts organized and clear. It's a lightweight program that doesn't use much memory even for a database with thousands of pages, so it can move quickly and sort easily. I'm still discovering functionality years later that I didn't know existed, but happy with what I have already figured out.

Cons

I found it annoying that when I recently got a new computer and had to get a new copy of Filemaker, it couldn't read my .fp7 file, so it had to update the file, which then makes it unreadable on the old software on my old computer. Why couldn't they have just made one universal Filemaker file extension type? But that's a minor complaint.

Build your own... everything!

We use FileMaker for everything. We recently installed an SMS system (as an API tagged to SendHub). We can now send messages, track messages, view threads, and analyze usage - all from within our CRM which was built entirely in-house in FileMaker.

Pros

FileMaker allows anyone to create anything. Ok , that's a bit of an exaggeration. The truth is, with a little work, you can build most every kind of database you would need - Payroll, CRM, Time Management, Mass Market Email, Inventory, etc. And what you can't build, you can find skilled developers to build for you. Plus there are add-ons galore, and FileMaker is compatible with any system that allows for an API interface.

Cons

There are only three things wrong with FileMaker. They are 1) the price, 2) the price, 3) the price. It's not that the price tag is not necessarily hefty, but the pricing structure makes entry difficult for a small business. Yet, FileMaker is IDEAL for small businesses in every other way!

It Works, but is it the best?

If you're looking for an all in one platform, this isn't my first choice. Honestly, it's probably not in the top five for me. If you're looking for a database management software for tracking customers, sending invoices and proposals, and software you can update as your company grows, this is great. You'll probably need something better in the long run, but it's a good start.

Pros

The ease of creating forms and spreadsheets for data tracking with this software was pretty great. We used this mainly in our event planning business and I didn't really have a complaint. You can tell the program what information you need and it will track it and input what ever you've indicated you need it to input. It definitely depends on user input and you have to take the time to ensure your databases are updated. If you do that, you won't have a problem.

Cons

The only real aspect I didn't like was that there was no workflow type tracking. As our business grew, this is something we desperately needed, but it was never marketed to us as such, so I can't really complain about this. If you're looking for an all in one platform, this wouldn't be my first choice.

Immediate development results from renowned multi-platform suite

Multi-platform deployment of a single code base, company-wide policy administration for internal and online-accounts - benefits are large system changes immediately testable within instantly-deployed self-contained environments for advanced automation and on-the-fly user interface updates. With a free trial, and a willingness to try a development system that focuses (though is not limited to) linear steps, you can experience truly productive results significantly faster than web-based systems, without compromising deployment options - a really flexible and hugely enjoyable development environment!

Pros

Instant compilation & execution of syntax-free code, visually-based object-linking / selection, immediate UI changes, plug-in and web-service extensibility, multi-platform deployment of single code-base solutions, from desktop to web and mobile.

Cons

Cost is the only consideration when recommending, though in comparison to other systems, it offers better value, just would benefit from a lower entry-level option for people to discover its power.

The BEST tool for Creative Problem Solvers

We have used it to build custom workflows that integrate a facility calendar, invoicing clients for rental of space, and taking payments. Each company is unique, which is why it was so helpful to be able to build our own solution to the issues we were running into.

Pros

The flexibility offered by FileMaker is incredible. The more that I learn about how it works, the more I'm convinced that there's nothing you can't build with FileMaker at the core. Also, there's nothing like the community surrounding this platform. FileMaker developers are the most helpful, sharing people I've ever met. You never have to be afraid to ask a question if you get stuck because someone else has run into that problem before and they will help you through the other end.

Cons

Depending on your use case, it might be too expensive. The buy-in can be high so you have to be willing to invest in making something critical to your operations.

One of my very favourite products!

I developed several applications for clients using FM. It was a pleasure to use and the solutions I provided were reasonably complex. I have successfully created custom apps such as scheduling, billing, quoting and testing. These apps were created for Plumbing & Heating, Optometry and a College.

Pros

The simplicity to create applications from scratch is my fav feature. I was up and running quickly and producing quality applications in no time. I just enjoy using FileMaker!

Cons

There is always room for improvement and I would suggest the developer GUI could use some work. While I find it simple to use, for the most part, there are a couple of areas that might be improved.

Flexible database app for simple to complex needs

Initially we just wanted to convert our old and outdated database system over to FileMaker, but once others in the company saw the flexibility and ease of use of FileMaker, it's use has greatly increased throughout my company. It's seen a lot of use replacing MS Excel-based "systems", where users have just slapped together a bunch of messy Excel files in a confusing way without any help from IT. These Excel "systems" are growing, causing problems, and then are being replaced by FileMaker databases with great success.

Pros

I like that FileMaker is simple to learn (and to keep learning), with tons of resources available online including their own forums. Between youtube videos and some paid Lynda.com courses I feel very confident I can develop quality database solutions for my company. It's great software and I actually enjoy working with it.

Cons

The recent pricing structure change for version 17 file has me concerned about the direction FileMaker might be taking. So we've held onto version 16 for now and will be waiting to upgrade. Other than concerns about pricing I don't have anything else bad to say about it.

FIleMaker - Tasty - Great

I cannot learn this product fast enough. The ability for FileMaker to talk to anything else on the internet is just amazing. It has help our business grow quickly without the overhead and everyone just loves what it can do.

Pros

How easy it was to go mobile within minutes of deployment. Data that was traditionally tied to PC and servers was suddnely in the hands of our team out in the field. With no training we had mobile apps overnight.

Cons

The WIndows platform is a bit behind vs. the Mac. You can detect that support for WIndows is certainly there but always behind. It is slowly gaining ground though.

More than a database

I've used FileMaker to create everything from a personal time management system to an online volunteer registration database. If you can imagine it, you can build it.

Pros

The FileMaker platform combines robust database management with a slick interface for designing a pleasant end-user experience. With some little training, a developer can become quite competent at creating a complete solution. With more experience and training, there's little that CAN'T be done with the system.

Cons

I have to say it; the least favorable piece of the system is its pricing structure. It's pricey to use for anything but medium to large scale deployment. Small businesses might find the cost prohibitive, and developers working for small organizations might not be able to produce solutions that are cost effective for their clients. You get a lot of horsepower, but it comes at a price.

Awesome tool for our rentalhouse

I can't imagine an another tool that is so helpful for us. As a developer/user I can easily fix a lot of things on the fly while I am working. Not the best thing, but for small and annoying corrections it's ok. (Like layout fixes) There are a lot of tutorials and learning materials online. It helps us to save hours and hours every day.

Pros

Filemaker gives us a really easy to develop environment. You can start with a blank canvas, sketch up something, use it, and refine it. Even if it called low code, you can do a lot of advanced things.

Cons

I wish I can have more help from the support. Our company wants to step up and invenst into this platform. Maybe I should reach out the awesome community instead of our direct contact. We had troubles connecting different kind of databases to our current solution. You have to really know what are the limitation of the software.

Filemaker Pro Advanced

Overall, FileMaker has made our business run much more smoothly. We are converting all of our old paper records to electronic, and this software helps us keep track of everything.

Pros

We're using this software to create a database with 50+ years of grant history. FileMaker has totally changed the way we do business! I love that it is able to perform time saving tasks such as, creating personalized letters, emails and reports. I love that It easily stores and organizes all of our old records, giving us the paper free office we've been yearning for.

Cons

-We use FileMaker to issue random passwords and various types of access- it regularly bugs out and occasionally needs restarted in order for access changes to be reflected. -I dislike that it is not user friendly for most average people. (We have a IT company who is creating our database)

FileMaker Rocks!

Pros

I had previously setup a student database in Microsoft Access and it was just way too difficult to understand for someone with very little programming experience. FileMaker was very easy to setup and was easy to import all my data from Access and setting things up was basically drag and drop things onto new layouts.

Cons

The help / manual included with the software leaves a lot to be desired, but the great thing about FileMaker is that the community both official and unofficial is extremely helpful plus lots of great resources on YouTube...many of the big developers for FileMaker offer FREE tutorials on YouTube for people who are complete beginners like I was

FileMaker solved many problems with our production workflow

We solved workflow problems with our business. Now all stakeholders can view the status of any project, and be alerted of changes. Requests (job tickets) are easy to manage and assign to a lead. Searching for past projects is now a click away, versus our exceedingly large Excel sheets from the past.

Pros

I find the customization of FileMaker to be the key to its success. With some software development knowledge, I can set it up how I'd like it and maintain it for a low overall cost. In my company we specifically used a FileMaker development company to build out our custom system, which cut all the paper out of our workflow, and cut out unnecessary data re-entry. A huge time saver.

Cons

If you have no developing knowledge, you may be left to use an out of the box solution, which might not be exactly applicable to your situation. Also, it seems like it is difficult to do certain email things on Mac with Outlook. Things like click-through links back to the FileMaker system from an email notification.

The best solution to do application.

Filemaker helps the developer to create applications more easily, in addition, for the client it is cheaper if the application is developed in less time. The Filemaker interface makes designing and organizing easier and we can create designs more quickly.

Pros

Easy do applications and understand the application. Easy interface to work. Share a database between different users. Strong security. Multiplatform, you can develop in Windows, Mac, Web and smartphone. Very customizable layouts, scripts and database.

Cons

Limited on some occasions. If your solution is very simple, is possible that Filemaker is not a platform for you.

Lots of possibilities

Pros

Any type of process or data collection is possible. You will need to learn some basic programming for the scripting if you do it yourself or hire an professional. The layouts and scripts allow you to create any type of form or view for the user. We have dashboards for departments to only show what they need and it is very helpful. Windows and apple products both can be used on the same database, which is awesome.

Cons

There are some things that were available when we started using filemaker custom app, but now we have to revise scripts and layouts to utilize new features. Not something bad really, just tweaking of the app to make it even more powerful. The bad thing about being able to do much is the requests from staff for new additions.

Great way to stay organized and up to date

Great product. Keeps production high, everything extremely organized and easily accessible, and will handle all of your needs.

Pros

My favorite part about this software is the amount of things you can accomplish using it. I work for a facilities maintenance company and we track all of our emergency and normal schedule work orders, our contractors, and all of our customers as well. It stays organized, up to date, and we maintain a high production rate using it.

Cons

The only thing I dislike is the main interface can be a little intimidating when first learning it as there is a lot going on, and a lot of tabs and buttons that can easily change settings and usage. But, once you get to know it, it gets easier and easier and will be a great asset to your company.

Decent Program if you have a company to set it up for you

This is a good program if you have a company or person dedicated to setting it up, creating your applications, and forms. Filemaker support is very minimal and you have to look at hiring an outside vendor familiar with FileMaker to help with the set up and addition of new things. The price is excellent for this as is, but start adding in the support you need and the cost to add new things or make changes, it starts getting up there if you make a lot of changes. We are in the process of switching over to another product that does have a monthly fee, but 100% supported and no additional charge every time we need to add a new application.

Pros

Options to choose font, color, formatting (test only, currency, etc). Ease of use for existing forms

Cons

Making any changes to existing applications/forms and adding new ones. Almost have to have a computer programming degree

So Good We Became Developers as Well as Users

Pros

FileMaker has been around forever, but it has made great strides in the last five years to become a modern, robust and versatile platform. It's our go-to platform for clients for whom off-the-shelf products aren't sufficient or don't warrant the cost and sweat equity required for some of the other platforms. From sales and workflow systems to contact and inventory management and everything in-between, we've yet to find a project for which FileMaker wasn't a viable platform option. In most cases, it's the ONLY option.

Cons

It can be intimidating for first-time users AND developers. The licensing and hardware requirements can also be prohibitive when pitching it to a client as the foundation for their project.

FileMaker: The Only Easy-To-Use Solution for SOHO

FileMaker currently runs my event business, and for 20 years ran my publishing business. I have FMP scripts that export structured data like white pages listings and vendor listings. These scripts have run, with little modification for decades—that says a lot.

Pros

FileMaker works right out of the box as a relational database that can run the back end of your business. Doctors, shopkeepers and consultants can all benefit from using FileMaker. It's powerful yet, simple to use.

Cons

Over the years, the licensing of FMP has progressively gotten worse. If I could find another solution, I would. Believe me, I have looked. I return to FMP because I can develop sophisticated solutions myself, or with the help of a seasoned developer.

Filemaker Cloud: too little, too late, too messy

The experience started badly, with migration issues, and soon became a nightmare, when their reps stopped responding completely while we were trying to renew the software. The company was not accepting our form of payment, and we kept receiving automated mails threatening to curtail the service. Support on the phone told us to disregard these mails, and, lo and behold, the service was in fact terminated in spite of our months of trying to pay them. The day when we can migrate our databases somewhere else cannot come soon enough.

Pros

We inherited a critical database in Filemaker workstation format, we needed to move to a cloud-based solution, so Filemaker Cloud looked like the obvious choice.

Cons

In reality, our purported migration never worked well. Some features simply stopped working after Filemaker "upgraded" the cloud version. Support was completely unable to help. What it worse we found the cloud software laggy, and underperforming, slowing what was the usual workstation workflow.

Hi Paolo, we appreciate your feedback on FileMaker Cloud. Our customers are extremely important to us. If you're open to discussing further, please reach out to our customer success team at customer_support@claris.com.

Great Platform For The Right Use Cases

I use it daily for development tasks for a platform that my company runs on. We are always adding features as user requests come in, as well as modernizing legacy features to make use of better ways to accomplish given tasks that available with newer versions of the platform.

Pros

Feature set is quite large. Very easy import/export of data. Great tool for proof-of-concepts for large systems, or for small to mid-size applications.

Cons

Initial login interface is not very customizable. To truly make a custom login, you have to essentially "log in" with a dummy account, go to a specified layout, and then re-log in with the credentials supplied by the user. This opens up potential security holes. Using the native security virtually eliminates this gap, but leaves little to no customization of initial user experience. The FileMaker platform is still not easy to replicate asynchronously, and it does not scale all that well to multiple widespread locations without serious effort.

Software that has turned into ransomware.

You are offering an upgrade price so it shouldn't matter what version you are using, you should be able to upgrade if your software stops working because is no longer supported with the operating system you are currently using.

Pros

Excellent software and easy to use. Have been using this software for the last 25 years.

Cons

The software has suddenly turned into ransomware. Windows 10 is no longer supported by Filemaker, I now find myself in the position of being forced to buy completely new software in order to access my files. It wouldn't be so bad if I could upgrade but no apparently I can't upgrade from my version to Filemaker Pro 19.

Easy to learn

FileMaker is a great platform to build applications that you can't find anywhere else. You can make an application easily that is perfect for what you need. There are many videos and documents online to help you learn specific features and structures in order to make it perform the way you envisioned. If you know how to write formulas in Excel then you will pick up FileMaker pretty easily.

Pros

Very easy to learn as you go. Very forgiving while you learn. Very little limitations. Can work with ipads and iphones for the people out in the field as will as back office computers.

Cons

Time consuming. Does not work with Androids. Once you do one application then it turns into two then three and it never stops.