Claris FileMaker Reviews - Page 3

A Dream for Entry-Level Developers

We were able to take a concept that was just barely not capable in MS Access and many other platforms and create it on Filemaker in less than 6 months, and have been slowing modifying it and adding to it as we go, all without the need for a skilled salaried position.

Pros

Their simple yet comprehensive set of no-code scripts steps that are available to use.

Cons

The licensing and hosting challenges. there are different ways to host and an annual license for a set amount of users is needed every year. The way your license is provided to you depends on how and where you buy the license from and how it is going to be hosted. Can be very daunting when doing it the first time.

Drag and Drop Database programming

FileMaker has come a long way since we first started using it in version 3. Some 25 years or so. We are currently upgrading our servers and work stations to be able to take advantage latest version, 18.

Pros

FileMaker offers a drag and drop database programming tool. Data is stored in related tables and if the tables are planned properly, the access to all the data is easy.

Cons

I would like to see an easier way to access external data. FileMaker offers access to external data but not to all data. If it's SQL there doesn't seem to be a problem but to other ODBC access such as Microsoft Access (.accdb files) the access seems to be a bit more difficult.

Claris FileMaker SaaS

Used FileMaker for decades for two departments. Conservative users didn't want to convert to a more advanced system. Transition to the hosted solution is a time, money, management saver.

Pros

Serves well the client that are used to it and non-technical. If you use FileMaker go for SaaS - reasonably priced, easy to transition, easy to manage.

Cons

Limited functionality, but serves well for what it is used by specific departments. Would prefer to use the same DB system as the rest of the college.

A comfy tool to develop your ideas

We have developed a solution that generates dynamically medical informs with multiple data about the sick person on a record time through the development tools that filemaker provides to the developers and the way that de customer can test the improves.

Pros

- The easy way that you can plasmate a sketch of your idea. - The results that you obtain with a minimum of knowledge on aplications development - The way to develop apps that can works on a Mac or PC and iOS Platform

Cons

- The absence about more colours at the scripts interface. - Versions history. - More control finding and changing variable names or script steps for example.

FileMaker - A great, user-friendly database

I have found FileMaker to be very user friendly. It bridges the needs between our customer viewed data and our manufacturing needs.

Pros

I have used FileMaker in a manufacturing setting for 20+ years. It is a great solution for bringing together different data into one solution. The fact that we can alter the views for different aspects of our business is phenominal! I have trained many people on this software, and it is very user firendly and easy to use.

Cons

For our applications, a better interface with art files - such as .ai or .eps files would be wonderful.

Filemaker Database

I use Filemaker for client lists and also for file references. Each file I allocate a number to it and enter it into Filemaker and at any given time, I can look up that file and see where it is at - it might be in my re-sub system, filed away or in my 'Action' trays - makes life a lot easier and quicker.

Pros

Filemaker is easy to set up your database and very easy to get reports on what data you want. You can set up a form style data entry platform and customise to your liking. I find this easier to use than using a spreadsheet style layout.

Cons

There isn't anything negative about this software that I have found.

FileMaker allows non-programmers to create powerful software solutions

FileMaker software has allowed me to create my own small business and work with customers around the world from my home office. Without a background in programming, I could not have survived without the ease and affordability of FileMaker software.

Pros

The FileMaker developer interface allows significant flexibility when I sell my solutions to the audiology community. Customers choose our software over our competitors, since we can offer competitively priced and customized databases

Cons

There is not much that I don't like about the software, but occasionally, FileMaker will remove desired features within upgrades.

Custom Database Solution

In our business we use FileMaker not only for us, but, we help clients customize their solutions. We love being able to custom tailor a solution and design the layouts and user interface to fit our needs. Custom, custom, custom is all I have to say. We have used it for CRM, accounting and custom solutions that can also integrate nicely with the web.

Pros

I have been utilizing this software for almost 10 years now. The best part of FileMaker is the ability to customize your database to suit your needs. However, you do need knowledge on how databases work in order to customize. I love being able to design my own layouts, injecting my own design and workflow into the user interface.

Cons

Personally I don't see cons, however, for someone who is looking for an out of the box solution, you can find some starter solutions, but without development skills, you would need to hire a developer to help you customize a solution to suit your individual business needs.

Its a very good software. You can easily developper other programs and have access to your BDD

Its very easy to develop with and I've created many applications for the enterprise that I work for.

Pros

You can easily developper other programs and have access to your BDD Make links between tables and between files its easy It is posible to create the scripts in order to simplify further jobs

Cons

The script must be done in the langue of your OS. I work in France, so mines are in french, that dificults the job when i have to search for help in forums cause the scripts that I've found are allways in english and then i have to translate the syntax. NO ALLWAYS EASY

I've tried life with FM and without, and I like it better with! :)

Saves me HOURS of my week! :)

Pros

While mail mergers are handy, FileMaker templates are still the way to go! It can cut down multiple step processes to just one button click once you set it up the first time. You also don't have to re-enter data and risk inconsistencies. We've even used ours to set up automatic report exports we used to have to do manually every day. Such a time saver!

Cons

Like any software, there's a lot to learn here. But once you get the basics down you can set up some great layouts and scripts to make your life easier!

Best Database Since DBMaster for the Apple IIe!

Simplified workflow. Better contact organization. Email from application. Best record keeping product. Ease of use.

Pros

Fairly simple to use. Relational database so that we can keep track of lots of different transactions and contacts etc. The best part is that there are many pre-canned solutions to get you started on using the product right away. Makes workflow simple, fast and easy. It is a very powerful database that can be used in so many ways yet doesn't take up much real estate on the computer. I worked on the DB Master platform for several years and it was so easy, this one is also easy to use once it is setup, but to set it up there are many steps. Once it is set up the sky is the limit for reporting, calculations and even using it as a POS system!

Cons

Must write scripts and lots of code to make it do what I needed it to do, so I ended up hiring a consultant to do the work for us. It was expensive but will pay off with a simpler workflow. Setting it up for your specific needs can be daunting and cumbersome. I would suggest taking a class, looking at training videos and also having a programming background to use it to its full potential.

Great database application with so many options!

Pros

The customization that you can achieve for your own application is great. This can be use for so many different things within a company. I used it to build an al inclusive app for our field personnel. Time keeping, safety tracking & training, crm, project management, inventory and scheduling all in one application our managers could use on their mobile devices.

Cons

Hosting and license cost is pretty high even for a mid size business.

Custom software with many possibilities.

Pros

The FileMaker platform allows us to build custom apps for our clients that are tailored to their needs. It can integrate with nearly any web service that has a Rest API. FileMaker has a fantastic community of developers that are willing to share and help each other.

Cons

The only downside is that it can be a little expensive for some smaller clients. But compared to other platforms, the power you get with FileMaker is a great value.

I have been using FileMaker for more than 20 years. I was initially attracted to its ease of use.

I do everything with this software. It runs my business, tracks my customers, prepares my invoices, tracks my personal library, displays my work portfolio, handles our family history website, etc.

Pros

Ease of use. As a non-programmer, I was able to make cool applications for my personal and hobby use. Now as a developer it is my number one tool of choice for creating business automation software.

Cons

It has some aspects of interface which are unique to its brand, and usage of the web interface version is not quite up to par yet.

Highly configurable, versatile database platform for business

Pros

Infinitely customizable, Filemaker is able to support your entire business if you desire. From CRM to manufacturing and inventory management right through to accounting. There are some off-the-shelf Filemaker solutions that can work alone or be the basis for further customizations.

Cons

Though it is highly configurable, Filemaker generally requires the help of a consultant or developer if you want it to reach its potential. This can be time consuming and expensive.

I have used Filemaker to develop custom solutions for my clients for over 16 years

Pros

I can get a a basic solution up and running for my client in under a day. My clients have been very impressed with the development time Filemaker can provide and this means big saving to my clients

Cons

Licensing is a bit expensive for small companies with less than 5 users wanting to access their data with Filmaker client and Filemaker GO and Web DIrect. Buying Filemaker Licensing for teams (FLT licenses) means client has to now also invest in server hardware which is extra costs

I have used FileMaker since the early 90's and it just keeps getting better!!!

It makes our office run smoother. It allows us to do more work with less staffing. Any issues have been quickly addressed either through FileMaker or the fabulous user community

Pros

It is so easy to use. I flunked out of programming classes in the 70's, but even I can put together fabulous functional databases!! I have used FileMaker in banking, retail, real estate & HVAC. It doesn't matter what industry, you can create databases that streamline the work process.

Software Developer working with the FileMaker platform for 15 years

Many happy customers, who find their solutions can grow and adapt as their business does.

Pros

Its Cross platform, stable and you can create wonderful apps for the desktop web and mobile platforms.

Cons

That FileMaker is occasionally thought of as a minor player in big game. The range of solutions we have created over the years is huge and has helped many business achieve their goals. If you are looking for a custom app - tailor made for you, then start thinking FileMaker.

Build your own apps in half the time

Streamlined workflow! I wish there was more knowledge of FileMaker to the general public. Being related to Apple is a huge selling point and it is pretty hard to find in any Apple related marketing!

Pros

I was introduced to FileMaker 3 years ago coming from a nontechnical background and I can't believe how easy it is to learn! I have been able to create databases on my own without any technical knowhow! It has also helped streamline so many business practices it is crazy!

review of FileMaker platform

We developed a bunch of database running on the FileMaker platform for Asset Management, Training Record, Contractors, Equipment, and etc. It is user-friendly and compatible with Windows & Mac, and saves development time,

Pros

Easy to develop new database Convenient tool of script creation Excellent feature of built-in graphical user interface

Cons

When a large number of users connect to the FileMaker server at the same time, they cause the application performance issues.

Great database software for client management

Pros

I found this software super easy to learn on the job. It gave me instant access to millions of customers, searches, custom finds, everything I could imagine I needed right there.

Cons

We had so many customers and pets in our system it would often crash on us leading to a whole skew of problems at the office and more work when it came back online to catch up all the changes we needed to make to each client file that called.

Filemaker Pro in research

Our Communications department has filed a decade's worth of published articles in FileMaker for reference. Some research teams track process and progress through different FileMaker accounts.

Pros

I suggest and purchase this software for our research teams that need a database to track projects, supplies, responsibilities and other facets of their research centers that do not warrant a sql database or the reporting issues that go with that. They can easily customize the interface, prioritizing what they think is most important.

Cons

It can get expensive when you are ramping it up for a growing department. Adding dozens of users and a FileMaker Server in a secure on-premise standup is a budgetary consideration for anyone, and therefore usually delayed until the monies become available.

Customisations galour!

We managed to combine multiple apps into one single one. To-do lists, stock tracking, quoting, staff movements, freight calculations; everything in 1 place now

Pros

It can do almost anything & allows for the most detailed (anal-retentive) person to make even minute changes to suit their preference. Powerful, cost effective (for our 10-15 person office) & mobile for our teams on the road.

Cons

Finding a good programmer can be painful.

Good platform for customization

Pros

We have been using Filemaker Pro for 13 years at our company. It has allowed us to grow and customize our database in ways that other software would limit us. The ability to create scripts and reports on the fly is great for gathering and presenting data.

Cons

Limited support options, although there are plenty of companies that offer support options. Be prepared to pay well for these though.

CRM

We've build our own CRM based on a free CRM ( fm starting point) and we have complete changed it to our needs. And that at a fraction of a price they charged for CRM with less features

Pros

It's a very ease to use database platform. It's easy to program. Many basic applications are available And it work fine.

Cons

no more manuals in bookform available. A manual in the hand is easier to understand than reading it on the screen.