IntelliJ IDEA

Integrated development environment for Java developers

IntelliJ IDEA Reviews - Page 2

Designed for addiction...

I started with the community edition then I found out during the trial period of the Ultimate edition, is that it has so many powerful utilities and not only with but with other high level programming languages like groovy, Kotlin, etc. Also, I impressed with the integration with other CI tools i.e. GitHub, Team City, Jira, Docker, etc. In a nut shell it it is a beautiful and power IDE that's why I decided to buy a license for only 10 Euros a month, it's worth it.

Pros

The way it was designed, made me addicted to the tool, and I love to use it on a daily basis. To be honest I found Java more appealing to interact with using IntelliJ community or Ultimate edition.

Cons

The only Cons I find is if you don't use it you do not know what you are missing out... Sometime other integrated plug-in appear to issue messages but this is a minor issue as IntelliJ IDE is controlling the behavior of these plug-ins.

Great IDE with alot of Plugins ready to be used that make your work easy

Pros

This is the Best IDE in my opinion. The best part in this is the easy to install plugins, these plugins make the work so easy and save alot of our developers time, in other ways also helps to meet the tight deadlines, its UI can be customized uniquely for your own unique style. It also supports many languages and file formats. I use this daily at my work and really love it. there is still alot for me to explore in it. every new feature that I explore makes my code smaller, better, stronger and reliable. Really recommend using it.

Cons

Sorry but I cant think of any thing that should be improved, I still have alot of things to explore. Seriously the maturity of this IDE is so high.

IntelliJ IDEA personal opinion

I am using IDEA from 2004 and I could say that it is best Java Development Environment ever invented. Their team improves software every time as new Java version is appearing, and every time somebody finds a new issue in IDE. They have very democratic policy of using IDEA ultimate version for free. If you're a student or educational person, or even a scientist - you can use full version of IDE for free. Also if you're buying it - during a year JetBrains team could give you a discount coupon, so next year will be much cheaper for you.

Pros

- Self explanatory menu - A lot of documentation in help section as well as helpful information on jetBrains forums and Jira - Easy to remember hot keys for managing files and classes creation and renaming - very smart code indexing so the IDE could do a very detailed precompiled analysys - IDEA is integrated with other language development tools like - any SQL client, JavaScript files code analysys, maven/gradle/ant scripting support - IDE is working on any known popular OS without any problems - Windows, Mac and all versions of linux are working nice

Cons

- Sometimes file index mechanism is not working correctly - in this case I should call "Validate and Restart" procedure for IDEA. It usually takes time even on fast computers. - Sometimes IDEA fails updating application dependency when common Maven script was updated, In this case I should manually check/uncheck option in settings menu to make IDEA refresh code and dependency changes automatically

The best IDE for Java Developers

I am very satisfied with this tool. If you are Java Developer but use another IDE, try this one, and you will fall in love with it.

Pros

1. It makes me productive in developing: - It supports many top frameworks - Additional features can be added via many plugins - It has a great debugging mechanism. 2. It has smth like artificial intelligence inside. It is truly intelligent: - It has a great possibility for automatic and advisable code refactoring - It advice how to improve my code - it provides a code autocomplete feature 3. It...

Cons

1. It accustoms me to use it. You become a big fan of this tool if try it for some time. 2. It consumes more memory than alternative IDEs. 3. The free version of IntelliJ IDEA does not support Spring.

The best Java IDE on the market

IntelliJ IDEA is the single best Java IDE on the market. I love the tab auto-completes and suggestions that can totally speed up and ease development. I mean, I could type out System.Out.Println() in just 8 keystrokes with S-tab-.-O-tab-.-P-tab. That's one example, but nearly 100% of the development experience is like that. The tab autocompletes with suggestions (so it won't let you tab .toString...

Pros

- Super easy to use interface - Automatic generation of common methods like getters, setters, constructors, and toString() - Tab auto-completes and suggestions - Clear and understandable error messages (well, most of the time) - Free licenses for students - Both light and dark themes - (Mostly) automatic import of packages

Cons

- Cost if not a student/educator. There's a 30-day free trial and beyond that, the licenses are subscription-based. They're not super cheap (I think around $100 for a year) but it's not a terrible price for an amazing product, especially if you're going to be developing in Java a lot.

Vital for Javascript and Java

Pros

1. It can help find references in the dynamic crazyness of Javascript. It isn't perfect, but from what I have seen others using (Atom, sublimetext, eclipse, etc.) it is the best. It also has most JS stuff ready to go instead of fiddling around with installing all sorts of third party plugins. 2. It is easy to split tabs vertically or horizontally and move them around. 3. Search is pretty powerful....

Cons

1. Indexing. One of the larger projects we have can get into this indexing stage that takes minutes and you can't really do anything else. Usually this won't happen unless you are starting from scratch but it comes around maybe once a month for me. 2. Some may consider it bloated. It has a lot of features hidden in the preferences panel and various menus. 3. If you use react I think FB's editor will most likely be better. But for nodejs or normal JS I doubt it can compare. Disclosure I haven't used Nuclide much.

Best feature rich programming IDE for Java and other coding language platfrom developers

I would recommend it to all java developers working on small to medium level projects. For startups and learners community edition may be a good choice and after successful, they can opt-in for Ultimate Edition for enterprise functionality. This IDE also supports the Android development environment but it is suggested to use Android Studio (also based on IntelliJ IDEA ) which easily provides all the required tools, plugins, Gradle, and manifest scripts for android applications.

Pros

First of all, it can be used for multiple languages and platforms especially the premium Ultimate Edition. Can be used for both Front End and Backend development projects. Database management tools are integrated into the system. Most favorite features of this IDE are better Auto Code Completion, powerful debugging tools, version control system similar to git, fast code searching, helpful shortcuts commands A ton of Plugin ecosystem provides helpful add-ons making it efficient and productive. The User Interface is very user-friendly and smooth which helps in settings and configurations.

Cons

It is heavy in resources because it contains various features sometimes loading takes time especially during building projects. Too many updates can be frustrating but it helps to make it bug-free for us. The Ultimate edition is a bit expensive. But a free trial is available.

Great Software Development Tool

* I have been uısing the IntelliJ IDEA for more than 10 years and all I can say after my bad days with Eclipse, I can say that IntelliJ really makes you love of software development.

Pros

* It is easy and fast to make development with IntelliJ IDEA as a Java Developer * Its plugins are fast and easy to ease the development * Software development quality and efficiency is great and fast . If you have questions about IntelliJ, they help you as soon as possible. * It does not support only Java development.It also supports other language developments as well as Go, Phyton and other scripting languages as well.

Cons

* It is expensive. If the company does not pay for that software, I do not believe that I will afford to use that software

The one and only Tool

Even the Beta versions usually work flawlessly. The IDE is very stable and powerful. And supports more than I ever will need.

Pros

Support for all languages I currently need: ActionScript3, Javascript, Typescript, PHP, bash, Python One common UI, and as far as possible similar/same settings. And excellent features for a comfortable and fast editing/programming

Cons

The automatic preselection of words/lines is (for me) in most use cases not helpful but leads to errors. Sometimes a token is fully selected, sometimes it is not. Sometimes even a click between characters does not unselect. This often results in deleting a complete line when just a command should have been inserted. This is of course a very personal "feeling", but is an annoying thing.

Exceptional

I use it for all development, and though I could intergrate it with SQL (and have done) that is one area I havent fully moved over to, but for other languages its my goto IDE.

Pros

Without this, I dread to think what my workload and productivity would be like. Im sure I could find alternatives, but who knows. They have great customer server and helped me out when I first started with some extended trials whilst on probation at a job. I have been using it professionally for many years now, and even today I find new features it can do. To learn all the functionality of their tools is impressive and worth doing.

Cons

It takes a while to get used to, and I remember disliking transitioning to this from my previous software. It took a while, but once I started finding some of its functionality, I began to appreciate it more.

I have been using IntelliJ as my main Java IDE for the past 2 years for a variety of projects.

The ability to explore enterprise-grade software and develop marketable skills.

Pros

The first thing you see when loading into IntelliJ you notice it is very visually appealing, I personally use the default dark theme with a few minor tweaks. It incorporates a window based system that allows you to have multiple files open as well as a multitude of tools included in the Ultimate Edition. When creating a project you are able to choose from a list of templates including all of the Spring...

Cons

My main gripe with IntelliJ is its ease of use. Its many features create a steep learning curve to be able to fully utilize its enterprise-targeted tools. Documentation exists for it but it is often as obscure as the feature its self. But once you are able to get a grasp you will find the tools are all well built and include the necessary customization which you dreaded at first but have come to love.

Probably the most complete IDE available.

The IntelliJ IDEA is by far the best IDE available in the market. It comes with a good amount of useful tools built in, is extensible through plugins and offers support for Docker, Database connections, xdebug and more. It's the official application adopted by the company I work for, with more than 600 developers creating large scale software. We've tried many other tools, but none compare to the software created by Jetbrains.

Pros

The main characteristic that comes to attention is how intelligently the IDE maps the code, making it easy to search and navigate classes, etc. It also offers a myriad of plugins that enhance the experience. Built-in support for Docker and xdebug is also a big plus. Even though there are a lot of good open-source IDEs available today, the superior suite of tools baked in this IDE makes it worth the investment.

Cons

Due to being written in Java and having so many tools and options, the IDE can be heavy to load and take a lot of resources. It's also not the easiest tool to understand at first, due to the sheer amount of customization. The update process could improve, new versions create a new folder and copy over the configuration, that leaves traces in the computer and if something fails (which rarely happens), configs can fail to import properly.

My Favorite IDE

IntelliJ is an excellent piece of software if you develop in Java (or really any language) and you spend a little time customizing it for your uses.

Pros

IntelliJ is a very very powerful IDE that I have used for Java development and as a text editor for other projects. I have always been a fan of the JetBrains development suite and I have been using them for more than 8 years now. The support for plugins and the various customization options push IntelliJ over the top compared to competitors.

Cons

This is not a big deal for me (hasn't stopped me from working) but IntelliJ is very memory intensive. It provides a great experience but I have felt my computer lock up sometimes as it is indexing and doing some background work.

Amazing tool for programming

Overall I have used IntelliJ IDEA to develop software in Java, to review big projects in Android and as well I have used it for iOS Projects - yes - there is Xcode and AppCode who are better fitted I know, but I used IntelliJ Idea because it just does somethings better like GIT workflow (merging, resolving conflicts...) and as well find/replace works really great. So sometimes I use it to compare things with clipboard functionality or to do merge/conflicts in git.

Pros

Best IDE ever so far. It's extremely precise, fast, performant and it index all the keywords so fast and great that it can suggest really fast for autocompletion text (especially useful when programming and trying to get to know an API that you don't remember all the functions name). The find and replace functionality is really neat and performant, giving you ability to look for specific text or regex formula to then replace in with whatever you like. I really liked as well the git integration, it gives you great capabilities to check your file under a git system, compare them, do merge and solve conflicts in a real nice way.

Cons

Maybe the UI could get revamped a bit to be more simplistic as it feels like full of feature right now, and it's great, but maybe sometime you just need the essentials.

IDE not only for Java developers

Main benefits are the quick way to find classes and the integration with Tomcat. It has a big community behind that is growing and a lot of plugins are created to work with it. I use mainly for the backend code (Java) but it is very good also for Android. About coding in Javascript I prefer other IDEs.

Pros

I really liked the integration with Tomcast at time to run different projects. To allow having several projects running and opening sockets to read from different ports and being able to debug locally. Thanks to the good indexing of this IDE, it is very quick to find any class, method or file in the code. Including a nice way to navigate in the code. It is very useful to select texts and see their values without using drag & drop, or refactor pieces of code easily.

Cons

I didn't like the keyboard shortcuts that weren't enough for me. Something I noticed is that for some of the common shortcuts, in IntelliJ the redefined their own shortcuts making them different than in the general IDEs' solution. This is annoying to have to learn for each IDE a set of specific shortcuts. For example the way of commenting code which is different than for other IDEs that are sharing the same key configuration. The visual aspect can be improved.

Most productive IDE used so far

I have already successfully completed 10+ projects using IntelliJ idea. I will recommend everyone to at least try this.

Pros

1. If you are into competitive programming. This tool provides a great combination of shortcuts for auto-completion and template generation. 2. Fast development and easy debugging. A great tool to see in-memory variables/objects value at runtime. 3. The very good version control system, easy to manage can easily integrate with Github. 4. Auto-generation of unit test cases. Can be effectively used for TDD. 5. Consist of the various theme. I prefer the dark theme. Can also import theme externally. 6. Great support from the community. Variety of plugins available. 7. Free license for students and universities.

Cons

1. Configuration behind proxy sometimes creates pain. But can be configured easily to use under proxy. 2. Some shortcuts change when you switch between mac and ubuntu so it takes time for your fingers to adjust. 3. Bit higher price comparing to other ide's. 4. Because of autocompleting, sometimes you forget the method name which might create trouble in interviews ;)

The Perfect IDE for Java Developers

As an IDE which is not resource hungry and has good community support this helps a lot for developers and their workflows.

Pros

IntelliJ IDEA is feature packed IDE. One of the best features are how they automatically get all the dependencies needs for a project. And also the ability to configure the UI as preferred is really helpful because we look at the IDE for a long time period everyday. IDE is light weight and not resource hungry as their competitors. Support from GIT and other frameworks and stuff is really good.

Cons

Throughout the time I have used IntelliJ IDEA I didn't find any issuue that bothered me. It had everything I needed to get my work done perfectly.

If you have to support devs, this is a great option.

This has become default software at my organization for devs. Everyone likes it, and people share tips and tricks to accomplish tasks. It helps to bootstrap juniors who are often overwhelmed by the complexity of out codebase and system. It is easy to train on, and is truly Integrated in the way an IDE should be. You can do end to end development with IntelliJ IDEA.

Pros

This is a 'kitchen sink' in all of the right ways. Instead of having to train my devs to use a set of tools (postman, mysqlworkbench, putty, a git client) I can just give them this. I runs on linux as well so there is none of the 'can't use it on my machine' problems I have had with other tools. Also, the licensing is generous. Code completion and navigation are superb. With the plugins it is highly configurable, and its out of the box defaults are great.

Cons

On older machines it is slow, and the configuration for remote hosts will go wrong for no apparent reason. I still haven't figured out if I always have to hit the 'Apply' button when I make a change, or if I have to hit ok. When using the OpenJDK, I see weird network problems sometimes where it seems like the JRE isn't releasing ssh connection. The interface is confusing, particularly some of the tiny icons.

I use this compiler with my AP Computer Science students to give them a real-world experience.

Increased productivity is a primary benefit. Student productivity is high because of the excellent feedback provided by the compiler and it makes it very easy for me to do my assessment of their programs.

Pros

This is the best compiler I have ever used because it is feature rich and not too difficult for my AP Computer Science students to use. They are a little intimidated at the beginning of the school year, but acclimate to it very quickly. They love the debugging features and editing ease the product provides. One feature used often is the "reformat code" option. I wanted my students to work with a real professional compiler to see what the pros use and they love it. The user-based license allows them to use the product at home as well as at school. We also discovered that the Android Studio is also built on the IntelliJ platform and that made it really easy for them to adapt when we worked on Android apps this year. A final plus id the stability of the compiler. I have rarely seen it crash.

Cons

The program is slow to load due to the vast number of plugins. So, it's a trade-off for the flexibility. Since you can customize many plugins, I don't think I have any other cons to mention.

Powerful IDE that facilitates the development of code, saving the time used to refine the app

Pros

IntellJ IDEA is a powerful development tool that interprets all the developed code and offers alternatives for the optimization of it, it also grants several solutions in case of finding any conflict during the development of the application. In addition, this IDE when incorporating Git as a version of the code shows the developer in a graphic way what changes were made in all the files that were...

Cons

IntelliJ IDEA requires a RAM with great capacity for its optimal operation. A 16GB RAM is recommended.

The Best IDE for Any Developer

IntelliJ IDEA and its sibling programs have been my go to for development for years. I use them every day and don't plan on changing that. They are a bit heavier for just checking out a JSON file or something similar but other than that there is no complaints from me.

Pros

IntelliJ Idea can be used with anything and there are a whole bunch of children IDE based off it for every language. I have used many and there are all super helpful for their specified language. Here are some of the best features: - Ease of reverting a file based off local or GIT history. - Ease of searching the entire project for specific words or phrases in seconds. - Can handle just about anything. - Comes with just about everything you need out of the box and if it is missing something there is a plugin for it and it will even tell you there is a plugin for it and just let you install it from a little pop-up.

Cons

- Takes a while to load if you don't have the newest computer. - Not everyone uses the various siblings to IntelliJ so support is hit and miss with some of the other languages.

One of the best IDEs I have used so far

IntelliJ IDEA has taken my coding and development experience to a different level. It takes most of the redundant worries away and allows one to focus on rather important matters while coding.

Pros

The intelligent suggestions and debugging tools have helped significantly. Refactoring and making major modifications is simpler and faster than any other IDEs I have used. Smart assistance including auto reformatting, code generation & completion, shortcuts & macros, packaging, auto-generated UML diagrams, and many more are packed here, allowing maximization of productivity.

Cons

Haven't found that many issues yet. Restructuring and/or moving a project to a different directory sometimes leads to unwanted Gradle or plugin issues. Users with Low-end devices may notice transition delays and lags when using IntelliJ IDEA.

Hands down the best Java IDE on the market

If you're coming from something like Eclipse or whatever, you really should check out the community edition of IntelliJ prior to purchasing, you won't be disappointed.

Pros

The comprehensive set of tools built into the IntelliJ product is staggering. The code editing is fun, flexible and powerful. The debugging is excellent. And source control integration is top-notch. It's an IDE that's truly worth paying for.

Cons

There's so much to the IntelliJ that you are constantly finding new ways to accomplish tasks that you never knew were possible previously. It's a good problem to have, but it can be overwhelming at times.

Extremely powerful IDE for large Java projects

I am using IntelliJ IDEA to develop Groovy scripts that improve the development cycle.

Pros

IntelliJ IDEA is great for any development that is closely related to Java. It supports different project workflows and supports dependency management tools such as Gradle and Maven. In addition, it has excellent plugin support to extend the IDE's capabilities. As someone tasked with Groovy development, it was difficult to find a good IDE for a relatively niche field. However, IntelliJ IDEA offers great support which has allowed me to develop my scripts.

Cons

IntelliJ IDEA has a relatively high learning curve for an IDE, which makes it difficult to make use of its many features. I think it would benefit from a UI redesign to allow users to customize what tools appear on the app bar.

Powerful guant for different software development fields

Ideal IDE for development in JAVA, out of criticism

Pros

I've been using community edition of IntelliJ IDEA for years and I almost have no words of criticism for it. Probably the most useful feature for me is Code Style Checker as well as Code Formatter. There's rich set of plugins available for IntelliJ IDEA, however I use just a few like TestNG one. Version control features are just what I need. What I especially like is Conflict Editor, that allows me to review conflicting files one by one. Also that as we were onboarding Kotlin, it's support was a great and pleasant surprise of me as a user.

Cons

Java code debugging features are probably a bit poorer than ones available in Eclipse. In particular, I was unable to move execution pointer 1 step backward (while I was able to that in Eclipse). Also, IntelliJ idea starts to start some background processes that sometimes is difficult to interrupt. E.g. If I open some Gradle project under slow network connection it may start downloading a ton of dependencies as a background process. When I click cancel in intent to skip it, the download process continues.