IntelliJ IDEA

Integrated development environment for Java developers

IntelliJ IDEA Reviews - Page 3

The best Java IDE out there

Being a tool essential for my daily job, I must admit that it's never been something to worry about. It's stable and fully-functional and supports most of the JVM-based languages and frameworks out there. It's good to rely on something that just works as it should

Pros

IntelliJ Idea is GREAT for keeping the codebase clean and consistent in terms of codestyle. Keyboard shortcuts by default are easy to remember (and fully customisable), which increases the speed of development. Additionally there are plenty of refactoring actions you can take out of the box. All this comes with several plugins available in the store and loads of free graphical customisations. Several updates every year keep adding more and more improvements/features.

Cons

The only issue I had in my experience is that it tends to take a good chunk of memory on old computers, and even changing the maximum heap size, it still needs a substantial amount of it.

I cannot work without IntelliJ

I am in love with Jetbrains products and IntelliJ IDEA is the reason why. I cannot emphasize enough how important this product is for my workflow.

Pros

The Intellisense auto-completion is just great and once you get used to the shortcuts, productivity gets boosted 10x to 20x. I install plugins for all languages that I require and one IDE takes care of everything.

Cons

The price itself of the product might seem expensive but I think it's definitely value for money. The keyboard shortcuts are different than VSCode or other editors that people use so it might make migration tough for those users but one can always reconfigure shortcuts.

IntelliJ IDEA review

I'm developing automated UI tests with it in Java for my company.

Pros

Very userfriendly and easy to use UI. It has endless plugins to add.

Cons

Error messages could be more detailed and helpful.

The IDE as the most intelligent in the world.

This tool at the business level, we have many problems, since we could implement various internal projects for the organization at the time, it is perfect for the development of JAVA EE, I recommend it widely, if you are willing to pay the expensive license.

Pros

When working with this IDE, you realize how important it is to know how to choose good tools, what I loved most about this IDE is: - Code autocompletion. I do not know how he does it but he always offers you just what you need. - Integration with version control systems. - There is also a wide set of plugins (I have been working with Intellij for some years and I still have not installed any). - Sensation of reliability and robustness far superior to other environments. It does not do the "weird things" that other IDE's do from time to time (I think many of you know what I'm talking about ...). - Extremely intelligent refactoring tool.

Cons

My experience with this tool, I have not had any complaints, at the business level is great, because if your company buys the expensive license, for the same question of wanting to use it on a personal level, outside of the business environment, it becomes impossible as it is very expensive, for me it has been the only inconvenience. - What is payment.

The most impressive software for Developers

It's simply great! Once you get to know all opportunities and functionalities of the software, it helps you to be more productive with less effort.

Pros

It's a simple software when you get used to it. It has a several number of functionalities, integrations and it's very helpful for developers. I use Java, JavaEE, JSF, PrimeFaces, Hibernate and several features, and this software is quite impressive.

Cons

The learning curve is quite long, but this is not a big issue.

Coding Collaboration at the highest level!

We are writing code as a team to move data between AWS accounts in a secured, automated fashion for our customers. IntelliJ allows us to see commited code in real time and also seamless integration with bitbucket to check in / check out.

Pros

Our team can develop many functions and modules in a community fashion and can check in our code directly to bitbucket. Commited changes are seen in real time and provides a rich experience while we develop our software.

Cons

None worth mentioning, IntelliJ IDEA is the best integrated development environment out there in my experience and will be with our team into the future.

intellij IDEA is the best in developing android apps

Pros

i like this software because it supports kotlin and native java code for developing android apps and i like how its organised for ease of use from noobie users and professional users especially layout editor which is not available in other softwares

Cons

i didnt like how intellij idea use alot of resources on low end computers and it freezes in this situation and sometimes it works but very slow

The only true integrated development environment

Software development from small to huge projects hosted on completely different version control systems is literally IDEAlly managed by this IDE. It is more than a simple text editor, therefore developers should spend some time to learn its abilities, settings, and hotkeys, but in the end it will seriously improve their productivity.

Pros

It's really integrated: you may get practically everything done without leaving IDEA: - it simplifies and unifies workflows for different version control systems from SVN to Git; - it has very good visual diff and merge tools; - it's code refactoring capabilities are both powerful and reliable at the same time; - it could be easily integrated with the well-known task and bug tracking systems like Jira, Trello, Bugzilla, Trac, and others.

Cons

It may be slow from time to time (but this could be mitigated via fine-tuning). You may need some evangelist to share knowledge and experience across developers, which have never seen an advanced IDE and cannot imagine its abilities. Otherwise, developers will perceive it as a slow alternative to their favorite text editor.

Efficient Developer Tools

Overall IntelliJ IDEA is one of the best developer tools on the market. The only rival would be Visual Studio in my opinion.

Pros

The shortcuts and code organization makes development run more efficiently for both small and large organizations. I was skeptical about paying for IDE after using Eclipse for years, but this product is well worth it. I also use Android Studio which is basically IntelliJ for Android development. The initial beta needed some work, but now I wouldn't do Android development any other way.

Cons

The cost is rather expensive for the product. The community edition is great; however, most of plugins for web development aren't included. It would be great if there was a better trial version.

IntelliJ IDEA keeps out of my way and just works

I use IntelliJ both at work and at home, for both Java REST API and Web Frontend (HTML/CSS/JavaScript) work and it is my preferred IDE for doing so. Why? Here are a few reasons: - Deep integration with Maven. It is especially helpful to have the ability to create a chart of all dependencies for a specific maven component in order to track down version conflicts. In addition, the ability to watch for...

Convenient and Easy to Use

It's been really good so far, even the friends I've recommended the software to, loved the suggestion. The interface is really nice and it's not a pain to install libraries in java since they can be downloaded natively within the application.

Pros

It streamlines my project workflow to a great extent. It integrates Github well, the autocomplete feature works flawlessly and the debugger saves me a lot of time. Even GUI programming and XML is very usable in the software. It was very easy to adapt to GUI designing in both JavaFX as well as XML in Android Studio.

Cons

There was nothing specific but I find it really hard to adapt to other Softwares now that I've adjusted to the IDE. I always find features lacking in other IDEs which always require extensions.

Best Java IDE

Best Java IDE on the market. Period. No point telling anything more.

Pros

This is the only IDE for Java development that you will ever want to use for Java development because it features so many sane defaults that makes it like Spring Boot in comparison to just Spring if you compare it to other Java IDEs.

Cons

It is a resource hog. Very heavy on the system, but still I think it is worth it if you have strong enough machine to run it.

Best user friendly IDE that I used, Specially for Java

Overall I am very satisfied with the features of IDEA and It is hard to leave from the Software because of all the features. It seems the best general-purpose IDE that I used ever until now.

Pros

For Java developers most of the functionalities inbuild with IntelliJ IDEA, such as Maven & Gradle integration. Even community version support Java than lots of other ideas. Also, integrated tools such as version control tools, Database management tools allow users to do all the necessary development related things without leaving the IDE. It also provides a great platform for Spring Boot developers by integrating several specific tools. With some plugins, It can be used as a general-purpose IDE without any issue.

Cons

I mostly concern the price of the IntelliJ IDEA when it comes to cons. It may be the most expensive IDE that I used. Another thing is it takes more system resources than other IDE's. (It may be caused because of that it have lots of tools integrated together and the IDE is running on Java platform)

Switching to IntelliJ IDEA

Actually, I was using Eclipse IDE for many years. I started using IntelliJ because my last company forced us to use it. Ever since then, I am using it all the time. because there's no other better option than it yet. You can try it once before you buy it. I am sure you will love it.

Pros

The most visible thing in IntelliJ IDEA is the clean and well managed UI. Beside that, it is lightweight and runs quick. The most significant feature I love in IntelliJ is the debugger which convinced me to use it afterward. The debugger is designed in such way that it is very easy to track errors and fix. It is also easy to configure settings. You do not have to remember all shortcuts. You can just click Find Action in the help menu and write what you want to do, You can view shortcut and click the desired action.

Cons

The most notable con is the expensive price tag. However, If you are in big software companies, they will buy it for you. Another thing is until IntelliJ 2019.1, at times you may experience unexpected behavior like faulty warnings. Currently, I am using IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate 2019.2, it is stable and have not yet found anything adverse.

The most intuitive IDE for Java Developers

It is best for Java Platform development. it is better than Eclipse or Netbeans because it's being regularly updated by JetBrains. The only consideration is high specs of the hardware, which is nowadays not an expensive issue. I am using it mostly for Maven and Spring MVC projects (JAVA). But it can also have compatibility for all other programming languages and servers.

Pros

IDEA IntelliJ is simpler yet powerful IDE with vast options and features. As this IDE specially designed for back-end development so you will find a lot more functionalities and its intelligence provides ease of development as compare to its competitor software. Also, it's expandable by the huge availability of Plugins. Regardless of other competitor software IDEA, IntelliJ supports all kind of Java-related projects, either Spring, Maven or even Kotlin. In term of Servers also it supports all kind of external servers to run projects. e.g Tom Cat, Apache or even Cloud Servers.

Cons

It requires huge memory to run. So it makes my Laptop Slow and hot deploy feature is not that good, so after every change in the source code, we have to redeploy. but still, there are some external libraries available for this but not works always.

IntelliJ idea is good for maintaining large projects, but with a drain on computer performance

It's a great tool for a first time code, where suggestions and improvements are all available in the same application. Including version control and database managing, in the same tool is indeed very helpful.

Pros

IntelliJ is an all in one tool, which supports multiple coding languages, Especially with Java, this is a veru good tool to maintain and code in Java, where larger projects are properly indexed with fast search capabilities. Multiple free plugins are available for everyone, where it's easy to integrate different functionality to a project. It's good that it's free for university students, so that they get an exposure to how intelliJ can be used, even before they join the industry.

Cons

Opening a large project or multiple windows of Intellij idea, will affect the performance of your computer. Large Java projects need a lot of memory and processing peaks when the project is opened and when its indexed. To run the program with an industry project, you might need a decent computer with good specifications.

A great IDE for front-end developers!

Pros

There is so much to like about this software, it's hard to know where to start. With the right configuration options, this IDE will ensure that the code you write is clean and correct! LOVE the code hints. Especially when writing functions that can be simplified, IntelliJ gives hints and code examples that improve the quality of your code - as you are writing it! LOVE the integrations with Git, Node, Maven, and other tools used for development. LOVE the built-in terminal that allows for CLI usage. LOVE the refactor option - if you have a lot of . "spaghetti code" that needs cleanup, you can extract methods and variables easily. Super intuitive! LOVE the theme integration to easily switch the look of the code. There are many more things that I love, these are just a few!

Cons

The only con about the software are the updates, which sometimes have made things confusing. Sometimes when running large projects, you may have memory errors.

"There is a plugin for that."

I'm quite happy with it, while it is not the cheapest out there, it certainly worth the price.

Pros

It is great to have pretty much any language in a single IDE, it supports plenty of them PHP, Java, Kotlin, Android, Cordova, Go and so on. The autocompletion, and error checking is second to none.

Cons

Sometimes when it lost connection (access token) to github it randomly asks for the password again, without giving proper context.

Simply the best Java IDE available

I migrated all my projects to IntelliJ so it is my primary Java IDE. It is flexible and powerful. No looking back.

Pros

I honesty tried for a long time to stick with my beloved NetBeans. But unfortunately it seemed not capable to keep the pace of the evolution of the Java ecosystem. I switched to IntelliJ upon a strong peer pressure by my colleagues and I have to say that I'm very happy. It's an incredibly powerful tool with support for every language available for the JVM. The community version is powerful enough to solve basically all everyday problems.

Cons

It may be overwhelming sometimes as it has a lot of features and with a pletora of plugins the situations can become even worse.

Intellij Review

I've been using it for more than 6 years now, and I'm glad I switched from Eclipse to IntelliJ.

Pros

It's my first choice for IDE as a backend developer even with community edition, the enterprise is amazing but worth paying that much money I guess. It's compatible and intolerable with almost every plugin for other than Java/Scala. The features in Ultimate edition I like most are refactor multiple lines of codes directly into a new method without even writing single line of code, features like formatting/auto completion and integrity with tools like prettier (for formatting) which is amazing.

Cons

probably not best for frontend developers. Sometimes I also have to switch to other tools while I need to work on something else other than Scala/Java.

A professional and stable tool for Java-based development

For 3 years, it has been my day-to-day tool for development - my job is mostly focused on software enginnering using the Java platform. IntelliJ helps me improve my coding speed and correctness compared to other IDEs or simpler code editors. Also it helps me automate many processes with can get tedious easily if done manually.

Pros

I think IntelliJ supports all of the features you may expect from a professional Java IDE. It is a super stable tool that helps you boost your productivity. On top of that it also has support for a variety of extra languages via plugins, so it's not just about Java.

Cons

I tend to dislike big IDEs since they simply have too much things stuffed in them: one hardly uses 10% of that. Also they add complexity and computing overhead, however with IntelliJ I've found a good balance of simplicity and resources consumption not found elsewhere. I only dislike the startup time - it's high. If they could offer its capabilities layered (eg. minimal, standard, pro, advanced, etc.), that would be great.

Only real option for Scala

IntelliJ is used by the engineers to write all our code, which is primarily written in Scala. IntelliJ helps us understand the code better by displaying type annotations, highlighting on syntax or compile errors, and making the code traversable so that variables and functions are "clickable", meaning you can jump to their definition or implementation. These features help our engineers develop 10x faster than if they weren't using IntelliJ.

Pros

If you are a Scala user, IntellIj simply has the best Scala integration hands down. Yes, I've tried all the other ones including VSCode with the Metals integration. But only IntelliJ has complete feature support for coding in Scala bug-free. Besides that, IntelliJ supports other dynamically typed languages such as Java and Go very well, but I wouldn't say they require the developer to use IntelliJ as developing in Scala does.

Cons

It utilizes tons of memory and power. On my Macbook Pro, it accounts for over 4% of my battery use uses over 4 GB or RAM.

intellij IDEA is the best in developing for Java Application

Pros

I like this product since it upholds kotlin and local java code for creating android applications and I like how its coordinated for convenience from noobie clients and expert clients particularly design supervisor which isn't accessible in different programming projects

Cons

I didnt like how intellij thought use alot of assets on low end PCs and it freezes in the present circumstance and now and again it works however sluggish

Intellij is a great JAVA IDEA that helps me to developer better code

Pros

Not only a great JAVA IDEA but also Intellij has support for other program languages like php, html, javascript. It has lots of plugins that helps the software developer to produce better code, like Sonar review for instance.

Cons

It is light compared with Eclipse and NetBeans and has more plugings and a better community of users.

A fully-featured IDE that does everything you need

We use IntelliJ IDEA every day for development, and absolutely love it.

Pros

JetBrains IDEs always stand out with their wide range of features out of the box, and incredible coding hints and suggestions when you've done something wrong.

Cons

JetBrains IDEs are quite resource intensive, and can sometimes be a little slow, especially when working on large projects.