IntelliJ IDEA

Integrated development environment for Java developers

IntelliJ IDEA Reviews - Page 6

Used it as Android Studio

It has been a great choice to start my application with Android Studio, I feel it has helped me fix a lot of silly errors when I was just starting and as I have become more familiar with the tool, I have started to extensively use al of the features that make my overall productivity increase dramatically.

Pros

I have had the opportunity to use this IDE for almost a year already in it's Android "flavor". I'd simply would bot be able to conceive my development without a tool like this one. It makes the whole process a delight for developers that don't have to care about integrating this tool with some others like builders or version controllers. All is already included here. It really helps a great deal to analyze that your code actually makes sense and everything is in check which saves you an enormous amount of time in fixing the code before making your build.

Cons

So far I haven't been able to find a single thing I dislike about Android Studio. It might not be the easiest IDE to work with but there is plenty of documentation online to get you started.

Best Integrated development environment(IDE) for Java

My overall experience is great. It's the best Java IDE available at the moment and it also support students by giving a free licence for the pro version. So I have used it over 4 years without any issues as a student and a professional.

Pros

They have added many features in the new version and IDE allows to generate getters ,setters or constructors just by clicking a one item. it makes the coding process easier and efficient. Another feature i like is that it shows the argument names when using a method. It has very user friendly interface and many features to make coding easier.

Cons

In my opinion it's the best Java IDE available at the moment and current features are great. Sometimes there's a slight delays in detecting code errors other than that it's a great IDE

Awesome IDE!

I really enjoyed IntelliJ as a user and it really helped me feel more secure about using IDEs. It is great for beginner coders and is really easy to use.

Pros

I liked how simple and easy to use IntelliJ was. This was one one of the first IDEs I worked with when I first started learning to code. It was recommended to me by a friend, and once I started using it, I stopped using Eclipse and NetBeans. I felt like IntelliJ was easiest for me to figure out and provides clearly errors in code. The software also gives a daily tutorial which is optional.

Cons

There isn't really anything to dislike. I guess the only thing I would say is that the "tutorial" popup that comes up as soon as the application opens is a little bit annoying, but really not a big deal at all.

the final choice of java web app IDE

Super good. Once switched from Eclipse, never turn back.

Pros

Very robust and comprehensive shortcuts, ease of use, more stable debugging compared to other IDE like eclipse.

Cons

inconsistent behavior from time to time and it's fixed after restart

Best IDE for Java

Coding has never been funnier, it helps you get more productive and forget about the organisation of your code because it does that for you.

Pros

The auto-complete feature is very accurate and saves a lot of time. The key shortcuts save time and help declutter the code.

Cons

Its forum and customer support isn't that good. When you have a question you're not guaranteed to get an answer for it, and if you got one, it would be an incomplete answer.

Powerful, yet resource-hungry

Pros

IntelliJ IDEA is my go-to IDE when it comes to Java programming. No other IDE company has come close to JetBrains in this field. I'm very satisfied with the features, mostly the in-line debugging (variable's value displayed along the line it's defined). The next best thing is the code suggestion. It's extremely intelligent and outstanding, compared to other IDE. The color scheme is also very appropriate, from the background to the color code of different word roles (keywords, members, methods, etc.) in the code. They're all harmonious.

Cons

Need more work on the watch-expression feature. If a variable has only one member attribute (it is designed so in the library), it should be ignored automatically and the IDE should go deeper until there are more than one member, or cannot go deeper. It's like browsing for the content of a folder, inside a folder there's only one folder, so just auto jump into that folder until you reach a file, or there are two folders and you need user's instruction on which folder to continue. The IDE is so heavy to run, it's always listed as the only app that consumes significant energy. Occasionally the code suggestion is frozen due to heavy load and the code coloring stops working.

One stop shop - Software Development

Overall experience has been great. It has been a pleasant experience transitioning from eclipse.

Pros

It is the best editor that I have used to build software. It has lots of inbuilt plugins to develop web applications. It works well with lots of frameworks and debugging capability is very good. Integration with git is very good and makes the code check in process seamless.

Cons

There is nothing about this software that I do not like.

Perfect IDE for develop solutions.

IntelliJ IDEA is awesome for performing tasks in Java. If you're starting to developing a Java based project, the best option is IntelliJ IDEA.

Pros

Currently, I have used IntelliJ IDEA to programming with Java language with angular framework. I was able to develop smooth applications and websites with the help of IntelliJ IDEA. Platform is most suitable for Java developments.We can easily setup the IDE and there are themes which we can use to our work space and be more comfortable with the working space. Great supportive team and there are developer communities which we can get the help if we have any issues.

Cons

With its features, IDE is heavily use our computer resources and computer might get slow if we are using less than 4GB ram.It would be great if we can have more than 4GB ram ,if we considering to use IntelliJ IDEA for coding.

An IDE for probably any language you need, works very well

Pretty good. I'd combine this and something like VS Code/Atom/Sublime Text for an optimal workflow, as there are tasks where a full-on IDE just gets in the way. It's a great product overall, with a decent price for what it's worth.

Pros

It's the "one-stop-shop" for everything programming related, especially if you're looking for a full-on IDE, that includes VSC etc. It works very well for the most part, is cross-platform and you can probably write in every programming language you can think of. It's one of the most popular choices for a reason :)

Cons

Doesn't have a _huge_ ecosystem, even though JetBrains' products themselves are VERY popular. There are plugins for most of the missing features, but some stuff that can only be found in VS Code are missing from JetBrains' suite. In addition, it's a big resource hog.

Powerful IDE with amazing features

I have been using IntelliJ IDEA after using several other products and now I'm starting to love it. It has more features than any other IDE which makes software development easy. IntelliJ IDEA helps me to meet my project deadlines.

Pros

IntelliJ IDEA is a really powerful IDE and it has many amazing features than other IDEs. What I love in IntelliJ IDEA is how it lets me develop in many different platforms. Code auto-completion and suggesting is really helpful.

Cons

User interface takes much time to load than other similar IDEs. Other than that there is nothing to dislike in IntelliJ IDEA.

Rapid Development and Worth for Money

I use IntelliJ IDEA daily for my work, it is too good, it has many shortcuts which are required for a Software developer to quickly develop stuff, it also provides Git integration which helps in easily switching between different branches on UI rather than Console. I would highly recommend IntelliJ IDEA for work, its worth the money.

Pros

1. Shortcuts are great for rapid development 2. Works Smoothly, never Lags like other IDEs 3. Worth every single penny

Cons

1. IntelliJ Lite should be available for some important features 2. Lot of features are Distraction for a Software developers

Powerful and standard IDE

As said, moving from multiple tools in multiple languages to the same tool (even if I use IntelliJ for some language and GoLang for some other) is the best investment I've done as a developer.

Pros

IntelliJ IDEA is the IDE behind Android Studio. For people that program both in kotlin/Android and some other language, having to learn only one tool for all his/her needs is a big increment of the productive flow. This is valid for IntelliJ IDEA or any of its variants (GoLand, PyCharm, Android Studio, WebStorm, PHPStorm and so on)

Cons

It may be expensive for a small company, it's based into a year subscription (although if you stop paying you'll get the latest version available at that moment forever)

Great tool for Java development with plugin and build tools support

Overall I found IntelliJ idea a great tool for java development, you will get great support out of the box features like maven for dependencies and build tool like gradle make lot of work easier. If you can afford powerful machine for yourself and team members then definitively you should go for IntelliJ idea. Interface will be little bit complex for new users.

Pros

I have been using idellij idea as a IDE for Java web development along with my team members, it's a great tool if you are going to do Java development, it provides template for new app from scratch, builtin feature like maven and gradle make your work lot easier. You can explore project in different way, project view, package view. Plugin support is great, you can get extra functionalities by just adding plugin. As lot of people use itellij idea for Java projects as compare eclipse so you get lot of online community support.

Cons

You need a powerful machine to run itellij idea, it's heavy tool and run slow sometime when indexing files. User interface is not that easy for new users, you need time to be familiar with the tool.

Best coding software for all levels

Am using this software since I start my studies and practice on it a lot ,it helps me to write code even as a newbie also after I became familiar with coding I still use it because there are always something you learn and refer when you write code and you can get that help from intellij ,

Pros

There are so many features when it comes to writing code by using intellij ,you can use templates which are already there and you don't have to start from scratch if you are newbies ,and when you write something which is not right it will inform and give you a clue how to correct it, you can use as many as new tab without deleting your previous work which helps you to.see it back and upgrade it or take some code for your new code by copying and paste...there are many things I like about this software

Cons

For me it's difficult to pick out the weak side of this software but I know there is no product which is flawless. What I can say is since everything is updated I expect more updates and simplicity from this software

An outstanding IDE for developers from developers with rock solid features.

Pros

It used it as professional alternative to the mighty Eclipse IDE since 2008 and couldn't be happier as java EE and JavaScript developer. Every detail is polished and just works. The inspector literally educates novice developer and prevents errors. The structure to navigate through the code e.g cascaded maven multi module projects works like a charm. I don't know any better java IDE on the market.

Cons

- The lack of innovative plugins as available in tools like visual code. - The licrense server process to fetch a license ticket for 8 hours or so is cumbersome. Makes it hard to work at the clients place because you might not be able to renew the license through their network.

The IDE for Java.

Pros

I come for Ecplise, and when I meed this tool the first time I saw the light! It is powerful, it is free(for the community edition). It offers a lot of integration as also the other JetBrains tools.

Cons

If you need some specific integration with some tool than you need to pay a subscription that for the first year is a little bit expensive

Gold standard for IDEs

I've used IDEA in the past while developing Java apps, and it was quite the upgrade from developing in Eclipse. It's way smoother and polished.

Pros

It has many features that aid us developers to improve productivity. Some examples are it's integration with github to manage branchs, commits and more from inside the IDE, It now includes a new font that aids in code clarity and also contains ligatures. Code search comes at the press of 2 keys and is powerful.

Cons

Pricing can be steep when starting. Extensions are premium edition only, not the community one.

IntelliJ IDEA Review

Overall it is, good Development environment for developers which definitely increase the productivity of the developers.

Pros

It is really a complete and friendly IDE for JAVA Application development along with Maven. We can integrate easily with version control, which helps in managing the source code effectively. It offers a suggestion(different methods available in classes along with description) which improves the productivity. It provides good debugging ability to navigate line by line to find the cause of the issue. Refactoring the code is very easy and it supports HTML, Node Js etc

Cons

Initially it will be tricky to understand the tool effectively and it take some time to understand for beginners. Ultimate Edition of this tool, is licensed and it is little expensive. It takes some time to start up and its heavy application.

One of the best IDEs I've ever used

It's great. I'd say we had a 10-20 percent bump in efficiency (of our teams not our code) immediately. It's good on the eyes (was early to add dark mode) and is really easy to pick up and run with, especially developers who have used other Java IDEs in the past and can see why they did what they did where they did it. Developers can be incredibly judgmental of other people's code but it's obvious how thoughtful the team there is in their design and usability.

Pros

So many workflow enhancements! I can use keys on the keyboard to shortcut my way to autocompleting all the things, setting break points, simulating a runtime, doing GitHub integration, etc. Pretty much solves a lot of what the modern development environment requires! And it's pretty, which we don't get with a lot of IDEs out there. I feel like they might be the only IDE team that also has a UX team that has actually spent time in the chair of a software developer!

Cons

The licensing is a little funny for teams and the way you have to deploy it. Wish that were simpler but it's worth the small amount of pain!

Developing software and writing code has never been this easy

One of the best IDE out there. All the features makes you forget any other IDE (for me it was Eclipse). I have installed the PyCharm to work with Python as well as CLion for C++. All the products by Jet Brains are marvellous engineered products.

Pros

The way everything has been integrated and how smooth most plugins are. And the software for Mac is very fast. My fav feature with this while working on Kotlin is the way they provide auto complete. It autocompletes the industry standard variable name. I love the terminal provided by IntelliJ IDEA. I used to hate them in the Eclipse for some reason I still am not able to contemplate. Duplicate code detection is another powerful feature and very helpful for me.

Cons

Nothing as of now. I was using Eclipse for a long time and I am seriously falling in love with piece of engineering

IntelliJ is my go to editor

IntelliJ is a great IDE. I switched from a text editor, but there are so many more features available. Once you've spent some time using it and customizing it, it will be hard to quit using IntelliJ.

Pros

There is a plugin, feature, or tab for just about anything related to programming. There is a dedicated debugger, it's possible to set up multiple run time environments, and if IntelliJ doesn't include a feature you're looking for, there is probably a plugin for it.

Cons

It is extremely overwhelming if to use at first if you have never used an IDE. There is just too much going on in the IDE upon install, and there really isn't a tour to show how to use all the features.

the one and only

Pros

- super fast - uncountable features for code development - code generation - shortcuts to everything - cool plugins

Cons

super slow for coding in scala. sometimes it becomes unbereable

One tool for everythig

I am using this project more than 5 years and I have developed all my software projects with the help of this product and right now even at work I am using this software.

Pros

If you are a developer and you want comfortability you have to use this product. Intellij IDEA is a platform for develping with millions of frameworks and languages and you just need to buy it and enjoy the cool features. Moreover, if you are student and you dont have enough budget they are providing free access for the tool untill you finish your studies.

Cons

After graduating from my university the money was a bit high for me to pay for this tool butthe support and usability of the product deserves.

Best Java IDE - worth the money!

Incredibly useful tool for Java development, much better than Eclipse/Netbeans and well worth the money.

Pros

IntelliJ IDEA is a great Java IDE, the code completion is top notch and saves me so much effort at work. The advanced refactoring, numerous editor options and great VCS/build tool integration helps a ton as well. Can't say enough about how much I love this software.

Cons

A small annoyance with it is dealing with the licensing, it'd be nicer if they let you keep versions up until your subscription lapses instead of "downgrading" you. I know a few people have been burned by this while waiting on getting their licenses renewed due to corporate bureaucracy etc :/

Excellent tool for development productivity

I've done most of my work through IntelliJ and I can't be more satisfied with it. I wouldn't change it for any other IDE.

Pros

IntelliJ IDEA provides several tools to manage projects out of the box. It simplifies the creation of projects using many of the popular dependency managers like Maven, Ant, Graddle, and others. The DB client the ultimate edition comes equipped with was a major plus as a full-stack dev. It allows you to stay in the same work space and prevents you from having to toggle apps. You can customize the way you want your applications to be run easily preventing the hassle of endless configurations.

Cons

Like many IDEs it suffers from the usual cluttering of items in the several toolbars and menus. This is easily fixed by customizing them for what you want or need to easily access.