InVision Reviews

4.58/5 (531 reviews)

Maria Gaston

Game changer

Reviewed 2017-11-07

It facilitates and reduces the efforts that I have to make to upload my work to the web app for presentations. Making interactive prototypes that are web-based has also made collaboration and user testing easier.

Pros
I love the efforts that InVision has made to make their product sync with other programs such as Sketch and Photoshop. The craft plugin has made a lot of my work very easy since I don't have to upload my screens to InVision. The ability to sync, but to also apply and sync hotspots directly from InVision has speed up my work and it's just one less thing to worry about.

Cons
Currently the software has some limitations within the web app. I think there has been tremendous efforts to make the product work seamlessly with other apps such as Sketch, but when modifying certain aspects such as animation or hotspots on the web app, there are a lot of limitations as far as what the user can do. These limitations, specifically with the animations, can make designs static for the most part and not very "animated".

Response from InVision

Hi Maria, we are thrilled to hear that InVision improves your workflow and that you enjoy using the product. We noticed you¿re an active InVision user and design enthusiast, and we'd love to discuss inviting you to be a part of our exclusive, invitation-only Community Ambassador program!

We recently launched the InVision Community to create a place where people can talk about their InVision projects and InVision features, design trends, prototyping and workflows, collaboration, and more. It¿s also a place where users can post any questions they have about InVision. Community Ambassadors get the opportunity to talk shop with other world-class designers and share their unique insights by helping answer questions from designers who post in the Community.

If you¿re interested in learning more about the InVision Community and the perks of our Community Ambassador program, please contact me at shainat@invisionapp.com!

Nick Pagano

InVision is a great tool!

Reviewed 2019-12-10

It's a great tool for presenting work to clients, and helps us keep all comments in one place, so nothing gets overlooked.

Pros
It's super easy to show clients work, and give them the ability to comment right on the design. This way all of the changes and notes are in one place. "Build" mode is also really cool, at lets you do some basic prototyping in the browser. InVision Studio is also a cool design tool I just started playing around with, that allows for more indepth prototyping.

Cons
I wish there were some more options in the 'build' section. Also, for the Studio app, I REALLY wish there were scrolling interactions.

Reviewing designs with clients

Reviewed 2019-09-24

We are using InVision to build a website for a client and it has really helped streamline the experience. We don't spend time pulling things up or building presentations, and our client is able to view and comment on designs later to streamline the feedback process. Overall, we will continue using InVision for this project and many to come!

Pros
At our creative agency, we use InVision to upload sketch or other technical design files so that we can share them in a user-friendly way for client presentations. I love using InVision in this way because we can create a central hub of all our designs and the client can easily see which one they want to review. Comment mode is also really handy because it allows them to click wherever they want and make an annotation of an edit. Overall, InVision is a great tool for displaying and collaborating on design.

Cons
There is not really an easy way to print or download files from InVision. Sometimes I want to just download a pdf of a single page and it doesn't work like that – I have to screen shot things and piece it together. It does give you the option of downloading all of the designs but for some projects, that is 200+ pages and takes forever. I wish there was a better sharing/printing/downloading function.

Anonymous

Practical but also frustrating as PO/Dev

Reviewed 2019-12-09

This tool as the potential to be very good. What I need are easily shared snapshots of a design at a given point which can not be overridden. e.g. This was X design at 14:35 on Thursday. Then we know that we are working with the right design and can inspect it and use it. It needs to be faster.

Pros
Inspect tool is great for giving to developers and asking them to pick colours, spacings etc from a design. There are also prototype functionalities which are very useful.

Cons
I find this software so clunky and slow. It takes an age to load, it's so heavy. We actually moan about this in sprint planning when there's an invision link in a ticket. There are also more pressing issues, such as the difficulty in versioning. Developers don't like it when you add a screenshot because it doesn't reflect the design, but when we reference invision, the design has changed and no longer meets the original scope of the ticket. It's great for designers if they want to be able to update a design at one click of a button in Sketch, but it can cause real arguments and confusion between developers. Navigation is also slow and confusing, but that might be the way our designers have set it up.

Likelihood to recommend: 6/10

Jeanie Barrett

We love InVision!

Reviewed 2019-09-30

Overall my experience with InVision has been very positive! I would definitely recommend it.

Pros
InVision has helped our company showcase our website wireframes and designs to our clients in an easy, interactive user-friendly way.

Cons
InVision can be a little time consuming when you are setting up each page of the website to be interactive. It would be nice if you could set the header/footer up and just use the same one on each page.

Bruna Burlamaqui

Why every UX/UI Designer should build projects on Invision

Used occasionally for 2+ years
Reviewed 2019-12-08

I worked a lot with invision during college, because we had to create interfaces using adobe illustrator, however, the professors wanted us to show the interfaces running and operating, and as we needed to present it, we did work with invision to create a prototype and present it as the professors were our clients. During my regular job, the design team used to build mockups for websites and apps and I coordinated them.

Pros
What Ilike best about this software is that it's easy to use for all kinds of projects, either for designers, webdesigners, developers who want to share an idea without having to work on many lines of codes. It's possible to prototype entire interfaces, making them interactive without having to build from scratch the final product.

Cons
Some features are exclusively for paid subscribers and maybe there could be a promotion or a student subscription.

Jeffrey Dickinson

Quintessential tool for distributed teams

Reviewed 2019-12-03

Invision makes sharing UI/UX designs feasible for distributed teams that can't work side by side. We have designers in the US and developers in Europe making timezone differences extreme and now we can work seamlessly together.

Pros
The comments! Being able to super efficiently review designs with my team on my schedule using the comments feature literally makes my job doable. Plus the integration with Sketch and Photoshop.

Cons
Several people working on similar comps can occasionally screw eachother up. It needs a git style branch control system instead of just blanket overwriting.

Ryan Lewis

Brilliant way to share Web or App layouts with clients

Reviewed 2019-10-14

We send through our UI layouts to clients and it's been nothing short of amazing. Clients receive their link and interact with the page as if it were a website, even though it's only a vector layout of the website or App.

Pros
It is simple to use and works seamlessly with Sketch App. You simply design whats needed in Sketch and export to InVision using the plugin. And send the client the link. I taught myself how to use it in 15 minutes.

Cons
Can glitch out sometimes but nothing serious. Some features seem to be best suited in dark mode only.

Vito Pauletic

The ultimate collaboration tool

Reviewed 2019-12-06

As a copywriter, I usually work closely with the design teams to make sure copy and visual elements fit well together. Nothing beats InVision when it comes to visualizing how your end product will look like in flesh.

Pros
It makes a world of difference in my daily life and apart from an occasional lag here and there, it’s an exceptional product that empowers collaboration and makes designing anything so much easier.

Cons
Some UX problems happen here and there but they don't really take away much of the experience of using this tool.

Gianfranco Capozzi

InVision is a great tool for sharing and reviewing interactive prototypes

Used monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed 2019-10-31

I'm very happy in using InVision any time we have new products to showcase (to present to different C-levels, clients or company specialists). InVision Studio and InVision Cloud are 2 extraordinary tools, if you work in a creative or media agency, you can't live without these 2.

Pros
InVision is life-safer and it has a super simple to use web app: it makes easy to share your creative projects (such as web and mobile designs) and sharing them with different stakeholders in order to gather appropriate feedback.

Cons
Price-wise, InVision has a free version but just for 1 prototype project. Digital agencies and large companies will definitely need PROFESSIONAL or TEAM packages, however, these aren't cheap if you run a small / local agency.

Erik Maas

Excellent web tool, but it's lacking some key features

Reviewed 2019-08-28

I am very pleased with Invision and I am happy my design team introduced me to its features and functionality. I have used it in many presentations to show clickable, working prototypes of my designs and will continue to do so despite its notable limitations.

Pros
I like the clean, quick interface of Invision. I love how you can import files directly from Sketch or Photoshop. The freehand is really useful when I just want to draw up a quick idea or even take hand written notes. If you have a touchscreen computer, you can really benefit from this feature. I also appreciate that updates are made in real time and you can see the changes you've made to hotspots applied on the screen the moment you switch from building mode to preview mode.

Cons
One big thing is that you can not add a clickable hover state in Prototype mode! This is a feature people have been requesting for over a year. From what I see in forums, the support team keeps saying they will "send it to the devs to see if it's a feature that can be added" but have never followed through. This is an essential feature that is being overlooked. For example, if you want a dropdown menu to appear when you hover over a menu item AND be able to click on the individual menu items in the dropdown this is NOT POSSIBLE in Invision. You can only have one or the other. As a workaround, I have made the menus appear by clicking instead of hovering but it involves importing transparent menus which is clunky and time-consuming. Please fix this, devs! In addition to the freehand feature, I wish there was an option to prototype with custom wireframes with a tool which allows you to choose from wireframe presets and build your site from the ground up that way. Sometimes, freehanding is not really an option. Also, you should be able to directly import files from Adobe Illustrator and Adobe XD as those are more widely used for web design rather than Photoshop.

Burhan Khawaja

A must have tool for rapid prototyping

Reviewed 2019-08-01

It's really an awesome tool and a life safer. We use it in every project of ours. And share it with stakeholders to take feedback and developers when handing off.

Pros
It let's you create interactive prototypes. You can define clicks, hover state, overlays, popups, floating buttons, fixed header and footer, and animations. You can try it for free. With free version you can create one prototype and share with developers or client. Invision has Craft plugin for Sketch and Photoshop. So you don't have to manually upload your designs to invision project. All you need to do is press the sync button and all your design updates will be sync on invision project. Another reason to love Invision Prototype is the ability to share the project with client and take their feedback through comments. And once changes are done you can mark those comment as resolved. Developers love invision too, because under inspect menu, they can see dimensions, colors, fonts and other specs of design. And download whatever icons or images are required.

Cons
Adding popups is a work around, you have to add black dot and the bottom right pixel of your popup image. They could've program it, so you didn't have to add a pixel to define color of your background overlay. If you're working on a web project and your website has a sliding navigation. Then your prototype won't be sliding on scroll. However you can add scroll to point on screen. And add custom point to the next slide where you want to scroll vertically.

James Donnelly

The prototyping tool you need to use!

Reviewed 2019-07-17

We're able to quickly prototype full sites or small CRO changes and with the added ability to update on the fly,​ we can push changes live to anyone viewing live. It's allowed us to show off our thoughts and ideas to clients and stakeholders with great effect, wowing them every time​!

Pros
I mainly use Invision as a delivery method for presenting web and mobile site designs. We have a few internal sites we manage and I use Invision to show any CRO changes that are to be made. This makes it easy for design, dev and directors to see how things work and what it will look like before any time is spent on development. A bonus for our dev team is the inspect function, having uploaded form Sketch they can inspect fonts, colours, sizes and basic CSS attributes to exactly copy the design. Assets can also be downloaded​ which saves time if they change over time.

Cons
Some basic functionality such as fixed background images would be useful to convey how some designs should work. I know it's not meant to be a working site, it's just the little touches sometimes that could help others see your vision.

Manuel Ortega Trujillo

InVision is an agile tool that improves your life as a designer.

Reviewed 2018-02-14

Pros
InVision is a tool that is great to present designs to your clients and communicate with them effectively. Before existing InVision, making a design proposal was a lot of effort: capture a jpg, send it, the client will pass it to PDF, make notes on that document to send it back with feedback All this process, which may sound like prehistory, is relatively recent. However, since InVision exists, you can directly upload the project you are doing, you can update it, and the client can leave comments on the same design. Another thing that I love is that it allows you to order all your projects in a single screen, as a private portfolio to have everything perfectly organized. A handy feature that InVision has is that it allows you to update the designs using the integrated Craft plugin in Sketch. Through the "inspect" tab of invision, frontends can access design styles and assets. I also really like the boards as an inspiration tool, to make a quick portfolio or as a style guide so that the client can know colors, typographies, logos, etc.

Cons
The price, because if you are a freelance is a bit expensive and the free version only allows you to upload one project. A feature called Freehand in which you can theoretically comment on a design with the client live via videoconference, but it has never worked well for me. I would like the boards could be integrated with other applications like Pinterest or Instagram so that the process of uploading and storing images is easier. Workflows, I do not use them because we have trello.

Kyra Dosch-Klemer

As a designer, InVision changed my work flow in such a positive way! Can't live without it!

Reviewed 2017-06-27

It has changed my workflow tremendously and has made communicating with my clients a million times easier and more clear. I love InVision! And, no, I'm not being paid to say that - it's just such an excellent product - oh and great customer service too!

Pros
Seamless and clear communication between me and my clients. Has transformed the way I hand over designs for feedback from clients. Clients seem to love it as well! So easy for myself and clients to give input on specific aspects of a design. The prototypes work perfectly for web design clients and has made the process much smoother. The boards are beautiful and clear for logo and branding clients and projects. Easy for clients to comment and across the board features beautiful, elegant presentation for my clients.

Cons
I wish the price point was a little lower. There is a little bit of awkwardness in adding clients / users to a project once you've already sent to others. It's not intuitive in this area. Hard to tell if the messages went through to clients at times - needs clearer flow here.

Response from InVision

Hi Kyra, we are thrilled to hear that InVision improves your workflow and that you enjoy using the product. We noticed you¿re an active InVision user and design enthusiast, and we'd love to discuss inviting you to be a part of our exclusive, invitation-only Community Ambassador program!

Anonymous

I use InVision to get feedback on mockups and facilitate collaboration with developers

Reviewed 2018-04-03

Pros
- Easy commenting ability that works even for the less tech-savvy folks at my job - Clear and clean email notifications mean a better response rate when I ask for feedback through the application - Ability to set states (in progress, needs approval, etc.) for mockups and to notify folks when a mockup changes state - Distinction between notes and comments, and ability to resolve comments so that they're hidden but not lost - Ability to easily create interactive prototypes for presentation and testing - iPhone app makes it possible for me to view and interact with prototypes on my phone - so nice! - Integration with Photoshop makes it easy to give devs pixel-perfect info about design elements (see note in Cons) - Ability to organize and categorize mockups within a project

Cons
- Prototyping tool lacks some features (ex. ability to specify a compressed version of a sticky header, rather than using the full version on scroll). Note they seem to be actively working on the prototyping features, though. - When mockups change drastically, sometimes comments and interactive hotspots can be lost - The developer tool provides info based on the shape/size of Photoshop elements, and not their actual contents (so text boxes that are larger than the text can skew the readings for pixel distance) - Some of my mockups are shown isolated on white backgrounds, some on dark gray. This isn't a big deal, but as a designer it bothers me. Wish I knew why it was happening. - They directly and without my knowledge contacted collaborators that I had added to the software - this resulted in some disgruntled co-workers and slowed down the internal adoption rate. (However, when I spoke with them about this they said they'd try to make sure it never happened again, and it seems that they've kept that promise.)

Nimanthi Rangana

a comprehensive package which helps to devise

Reviewed 2019-04-26

InVision has definitely caused a stir in the market. The software is gaining popularity every day and is a popular tool among UI/UX users. Taking into consideration the pros, cons, and user reviews, it may be rated 8.9/10.

Pros
InVision is a comprehensive package which helps to devise, design and test prototypes for mobile app, desktop site, and architectural plans. It is a simplified tool which has numerous additional features like business models and photo editing. The software is popular amongst Web Designers and has a customer base of over 2 million users. InVision has made prototype designing interactive. The users can sketch and design prototypes and import them from various other software like Photoshop, Google Drive and Dropbox. InVision's user-friendly interface has a drag and drop function which supports all compatible software. Apart from these features, InVision also has tools for workflow management, user testing, collaboration, and feedback. Features: 1. Prototyping 2. Design Presentation and Sharing 3. White-Board Meetings 4. Project Management 5. User Testing and Analysis 6. Feedback 7. Architectural Designs 8. Compatibility with other software Pros: 1. User-Friendly: Designing and modifying a prototype is easy. Users don't have problems using the software and feedback may be obtained for the prototype easily. 2. Interactive: The interface is easy-to-use and files can be uploaded in the software from a wide range of compatible software. 3. File Management: Drag and drop functions for file sharing and uploading. 4. Collaboration: Easy product design management process with in-app client testing and multiple app support. 5. Helps in freehand con

Cons
1. Header and Footers: It has fixed headers and footers which limits functionality sometimes. 2. Customer Support: Customer Support for InVision is slow and unresponsive for complex problems. 3. Pricing: Pricing model is quite overwhelming when it comes to having a big network. 4. A web project should be created as 2 different prototypes if it is to be used on desktop and mobile.

David Marinangeli

Doesn't keep the pace with other tools

Reviewed 2019-09-06

Pros
One of the things I've always loved of Invision is its ease of sharing all my projects with my colleagues or clients. The app is cool any easy to use. The sketch/PS tools plugin are useful and the inspect tool helped me a lot of times, as a developer.

Cons
InVision still lacks of features that we have in Sketch and, better of both, Figma. The smoothness, ease of share, independence from any OS are crucial and that's why we chose Figma. It still has some bugs that come up with BIG projects such as linking to a specific element of a mockup and so on. I am really upset as a developer because it limits my communication with our designers.

Likelihood to recommend: 5/10

Quinn Ballard

InVision has helped me eliminate lots of back and forth emails with clients

Reviewed 2019-02-24

InVision has helped me and my clients communicate better and save time. It's one of the few services I use that clients have gone out of their way to tell me how easy and quick it was for them to use. The old way of reviewing images for edits (noting the filename, describing each picture and the edits they need, and sending over a long back and forth email chain) was a waste of time and sometimes confusing. InVision has been a huge time-saver for everyone.

Pros
InVision has helped me and my photo clients easily review and make notes on photoshoot images without having to dig through emails or keep track of filenames. I work with interior designers and architects and there are usually several parts on one photo that might need to be edited (remove outlet, replace cracked brick, replace light bulb, smooth wrinkles on sofa, etc.). InVision is great because a client can put a marker on specific locations on a photo and write a note about it. That way, I can see exactly where their note is referring to and there's no confusion or wasted time for them (or me).

Cons
As of early 2019, there is no way to sort images on a Board by any kind of criteria (New –> Old, By Filename, Modified Most Recently –> Least Recently). This makes it particularly hard when I have arranged images in a certain flow and when I want to swap the order of only two images the entire Board can get rearranged. There have been times where I will drag one image to the left or right and 10 or more images move to a completely random new place. I reached out to support about, they were able to confirm the arranging behavior for Boards can be a little wonky because of how InVision prioritizes maximizing screen space and sometimes auto arranges by image dimension, and at this time there is not enough demand to fix it. It's not a deal breaker, but I have found myself fiddling with trying to rearrange the entire board back to its intended order after only moving one pic around.

Anonymous

Simple, fast to produce prototyping tool with great integrations into desktop design apps

Reviewed 2018-07-28

Simple, fast, primitive prototyping tool for web/mobile design.

Pros
I love the Sketch integration. I regularly plot out an interactive flow in a Sketch file, make use of the Craft by Invision plugin and map out all of the interactive elements and which screen they should go to from within my Sketch file, then use the upload button to create a new prototype. I also use the Live Embed feature to place images in Confluence pages. What this means is that my designs are always up-to-date in multiple places. My team mates and stakeholders love the ability to comment directly inside a shared prototype, and this is a great way for me to engage them within a fairly high-context environment and also for them to see that feedback is being addressed. I've recently started using the hotspot templates which has also been incredibly useful for certain scenarios. It also has a similar integration with Adobe Photoshop, but I have never used it.

Cons
The biggest thing that is missing with Invision, for me, is that the (web) prototypes are very primitive. They are basically clickable slideshows, with some minor interaction options like layering with animations for menus etc. It unfortunately breaks down the moment I need to prototype anything with independently scrolling divs or sticky elements (not including headers/footers). I would love to see a feature where symbols in Sketch could be used to define :hover styles and generate the additional screens needed for that, to make prototypes feel much more responsive. At the moment, for anything slightly more interactive than a standard flow, I have to resort to coding a prototype in Jsbin or similar (and hosting it)

Rejin Kumar

Great tool to easily showcase wireframes, gather feedback and promote faster development

Reviewed 2019-04-15

It's a great tool for designers to gather quick feedback on their designers and it also helps developers to some extent.

Pros
The best feature of Invision I would say it's ability to sync with design apps like Photoshop and Sketch. It becomes easier for designers to quickly create flow mockups to provide for stakeholder reviews. It has a comment tab wherein any one can click on any location and comment specifically for that location for better clarity. It also helps developers with its develop mode. This provides for easy copy of text and colours in an element and almost accurate styling to use. This also has an assets tab wherein the designer can add in assets required for the development of the project in a highly organized manner.

Cons
One of the issues I faced with copy pasting text from Invision into my code is that it included rich text, which renders as gibberish on a web page. One other con I felt was that sometimes it becomes difficult to find out the distance between two elements specifically when a text element is involved (Height of the element is set automatically even though it's not needed). It becomes a little difficult to set padding or margin in our code accordingly.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Daniel Velásqiez

Power the designer

Used weekly for free trial
Reviewed 2019-01-26

Pros
Design, programming and ingenuity converge in a powerful application that gives free rein to the imagination for a better and pleasant experience in all graphic aspects. What is it called? InVision That's right, this tool allows you to design and generate a number of graphic projects to increase the visual quality of a company. Large companies use this tool to manage their platforms and thus have a striking and pleasant use of their products. Undoubtedly, the verb "design" is implemented at every moment of its use, because you need to have design and layout projects to be able to use this platform, which also provides a series of professional tools for its execution. With this application you will see the graphic quality in the design and customization of the different systems that will give a better relief in the market to your system. An example of this, as cited by the company that created this application, is the number of users that today have been complemented with this software and consider it of vital importance for the gestation of new virtual designs. Its use, creates powerful prototypes, and can be used by several users, so it can provide a better experience when using it. In addition, as if it were not enough, you have the possibility to observe other design creations that different companies or users have made, in order to generate more ideas at the moment of any graphic creation. It is clearly an important tool for any graphic designer

Cons
To be a diagramming application, its use is quite complex, and only the most studied in the field can make use of this tool. Also, the way to get familiar with the user is not so simple. It takes time and study of the application to be able to find a perfect use of the app. By having all the clear concepts and functionalities that are granted, you can do wonders of designs, the most perfect and powerful in the market.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Amy Gehling

I use Invision to collaborate with remote teams and it has been fantastic as a communication tool!

Reviewed 2017-10-12

Easy collaboration amongst remote teams, as well as a great client presentation resource.

Pros
I love the comments feature on the design prototypes. This allows for much more efficient feedback loops when you can comment directly on the prototype and keeps conversation streams clear. I have also began using the moodboards on the platform which has been fantastic for project kickoffs!

Cons
I wish it could integrate with Illustrator as easily as it does with SketchApp and Photoshop. I have began using this beyond SaaS, web and app design and would love to export my information designs directly to Invision!

Response from InVision

Hi Amy, we are thrilled to hear that InVision improves your workflow and that you enjoy using the product. We noticed you¿re an active InVision user and design enthusiast, and we'd love to discuss inviting you to be a part of our exclusive, invitation-only Community Ambassador program!

A must for UX designers

Reviewed 2018-09-18

Honestly, I've not found a big enough reason YET to switch to one of their competitors, so I'll be staying with Invision for the foreseeable future, but it not be for long.

Pros
What started out as a single product for creating and sharing prototypes, has now become a suite of products: - Invision Prototyping: which also gives you the ability to hand off screens to developers through Inspect, - Craft: A plugin for sketch that I find very useful. It lets you sync your file with Invision and has a feature that lets you input realistic data (names, numbers, address, and other content) - DSM: I've not yet used this on a live project, but hope to in the future

Cons
The fact that Invision is growing so rapidly seems to have affected the quality of their products. I've faced numerous issues with Invision prototyping where the screens don't get updated after syncing, or the prototyping links are forgotten, or comments are lost. In addition to this, they have not really updated their feature set in a while. Marvel has a very useful feature that gives you a flowchart view of your prototype that I wish Invision would also get.

UTKARSH SHUKLA

The best software to present you work

Reviewed 2019-07-19

This software has really simplified the process of presenting and sharing our work with internal teams and clients. The fact that Invision is simple and easy to use, it saves a lot of time and efforts. We don't rely on presentations anymore and we just send a clickable link to the client.

Pros
The best thing I like about Invision is that it makes our work presentable and appealing. Its simple to use as you just have to drag and drop your screens and create a link that can be shared with anyone. You can also convert your design into a clickable prototype and understand how the interaction will work. This feature just elevates your designs without even spending too much time and effort.

Cons
The biggest thing that I don't like about Invision is that it changes the order of the files sometimes. I assume that it is a bug and not a function of the app but it really creates a lot of confusion if you have shared the link with the client. The other things I don't like about this software is that it does not have integration with Figma and I have to export and upload my screens each time the client asks for iterations