Notepad++ Logo

Open-source and multilingual source code editing software

Notepad++ Reviews - Page 3

1,952 reviews

GT

Gábor T.

Automotive, 51-200 employees

Best free notepad editor I think

I have been using the Notepad++ for a few year now, got to know when I started working in EDI, reading, checking EDIFACT messages, which is a plain-text based message format.Turned out, we can write something like macros, more like a smart search, text filtering, line breaking thing.The search option to look in all the opened files is super useful.Convenient tool to edit, simple files, you can use...

Pros

Wide and fast search options.Lot of 3rd party tools, that really helps you out when working with files.It is free.Does save the drafts, opens up files too when you have no network (shadow copies I reckon).You can continue your work where you left it.Has free updates, supporting dev. community, educational articles, videos.

Cons

Can not edit .docx, .rtf or other "advanced" text files. Yet it can open them.Opening files from network may be sometimes slow.The icons may not tell much and small.Some plug-ins, features that are provided by 3rd party, should be in the installation image.

Gopal B.

Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees

The best text editor out there...

Overall I'm really happy with Notepad++ it helps me get mess sorted out quickly, helps add notes quickly and I can keep it running it in background as it doesn't consume much of cpu power. Syntax highlighting support for many languages has helped me more than few times to identify issues in code or XML without having to run the code.

Pros

Considering the fact that it is just a text editor - I love almost everything about Notepad++. It's fully customize-able, light and almost bug free and on top of that it's fully open sourced & free. Also the availability of so many plugins makes it super awesome. It helps me take notes quickly which are preserved even when I don't save it and can also be sync'd with cloud.

Cons

There's almost nothing to dislike about the features provided with Notepad++, but I wish they add start taking competition seriously and start adding features such as version controlling.

MP

Mike P.

Computer Games, self-employed

The Gold-standard for Text Editing on Windows

Quick comparison of code revisions without having to make commits to version control, excellent Regular Expression support in the Search and Replace tool.

Pros

From tabbed file editing to syntax styling for nearly every imaginable file format under the sun, Notepad++ has it all and should be in the arsenal of every Windows user, whether you're a full on developer writing code or just an amateur tweaking configuration files! The Search and Replace functionality provides full Regular Expression support, making it extremely powerful to make bulk changes to text based files. A plethora of additional plugins, including Compare (diff), Autosave, and Spell-check, which can be installed and disabled from the built-in Plugin Manager in a snap.

Cons

Absolutely nothing! Lets start a campaign to make Notepad++ the default Windows text editor! Make it happen, Microsoft!

Mohammad A.

Computer Software, 10,001+ employees

"Brilliant and all in one code editor."

I was using this editor from my college days, so much friendly it is.Easy to use also nice themes is there to choose and select.It also support regex, which is good for programmer.We can work on multiple files also.

Pros

Notepad++ is the code editor tool which is really providing great features for programmer.It is so much light weight tool, which does not affect the speed of system and also it is open source free tool.Notepad++ provides more no of functionalities.It is so much powerful editor, supports no of plugins and also windows power shell.So much fast, quick and handy editor.

Cons

Almost everything is good but it does not support on mac or Linux operating system.They also have to improve code debugging feature.Always it needs an update and also it doe not support large files.Not recommendable for full stack development.

RP

Rekha Priyadharshini C.

Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees

Light-weight, minimalistic, yet powerful text editor

Notepad++ is a free, light-weight and powerful text editor. It is very easy to install and it also comes with a portable edition. It can open almost any type of text file let it be Java, Python, XML or even JSON. It is very powerful out-of-the-box and its functionality can be extended by installing plugins. It is a must have tool for every developer.

Pros

Notepad++ supports multiple tabs and the unsaved content is persisted even when the app is closed or shutdown. It supports multiple encoding which is very useful when working with Unicode characters. We can use the document map to easily navigate large piece of code by collapsing and expanding content. When you click on a word, Notepad++ highlights all the occurrences of that word which is very handy to see the places when a variable is used. It supports extended search using regular expressions which is quite useful for editing code and parse logs. We can also compare two files by installing additional plugins.

Cons

The UI looks a bit plain and outdated. It is not a full-fledged IDE and so it lacks support for code auto completion and formatting. Though the UI support themes, there is no dark mode support. And there is no out-of-the-box support for LaTeX and Markdown. Finally, Notepad++ only support text content and it doesn't support multi-media content like images or annotations.

Computer Software, 201-500 employees

Proven little helper for all kinds of text relatedthings

I typically use Notepad++ for all kinds of small text-related use cases. Formatting texts or replacing strings in text (even with newlines or returns), I can copy a code snippet - e.g., from an online documentation - and it filters out all the ugly HTML stuff. Hence, I can copy it into a Word document or other notekeeper. I also like using it as an extended clipboard with scripting work. It's just mocking and pasting - no attempts to correct any spelling mistakes that aren't there or trying to apply upper-case/lower-case rules. I would not use it for full programming or software development. It lacks a few features and functions of professional IDEs - but that's not necessarily the main purpose of that tool anyway.

Pros

It's a small app with lots of features. It stayed consistent with the UI over the last 15 years, making it easy for me to use. The UI may be a bit old-school, but clean and easy to understand. It's available for all kinds of operating systems and even as a portable app! I can't complain about performance; it runs stable - I have never had a crash or outage since using Notepad++. It also maintains the last status, so I can shut my laptop down without losing unsaved work. I love that it is multi-tabbed and not a single large board (e.g., compared to tools such as Miro - they have a different focus).And all of that for free!

Cons

Plugins are sometimes a bit tricky to install. But once you get the pattern, it's easy. Remembering keyboard shortcuts for the new features is the biggest hurdle, but that's not on Notepad++.

pa

pradeep a.

Notepad++

very satisfied with this alternative notepad editor. I did not lose a single unsaved file ever since I started using it.

Pros

Notepad++ is an excellent replacement for the default Windows Notepad even though there are many other free and paid alternatives, Notepad++ I feel is the best option as it gets the job done excellently. The tabbed windows which can be customized, the docswitcher list of files, the plugins are all very useful features to have. When I used Windows notepad and when I laptop crashed (happened few times),...

Cons

This happened a few times where Notepad++ crashed and it messed up my session and corrupted the session file-wish there was some protection from this happening. Also, it would be nice if there was a single install file for both x86 and x64 platforms.

Hasan S.

Banking, 501-1,000 employees

An awsome tool for every Developer

I am using Notepad++ on daily basis for developing codes in different languages. It also helps to make notes. A good thing is that it allows to open multiple tabs at a single time. It has made my life much easier.

Pros

A very simple, light, efficient and completely free open source editor with wonderful features that helps in daily office routine tasks. I have been using this editor for more than 6 years and I love to write code using Notepad++ just because its a complete single package that contains a huge variety of features like external add-ons, libraries, customizing different programming languages etc. It is a perfect tool for every beginner and even professionals as well. I have found it very useful overall but the most attracting feature is comparing files, searching a keyword in multiple files from a specific directory and last but not least, on closing the editor it saves my data in cache. It is very simple to use and installation is even more easy.

Cons

I wish that it should facilitate in opening a huge text file because at certain times I attempt to open a big file and it stops working and cannot open it. Also, when the code size becomes very huge Notepad++ starts to lag. However, it is a great choice for every developer and it can easily deployed on machines.

Research, 1,001-5,000 employees

Notepad++ : meilleur outil gratuit pour l'usage quotidien

Prise de notes rapide, diagnostiquer et corriger rapidement les erreurs de codage simples sans ouvrir un IDE de programmation, simplement en voyant si la coloration syntaxique.

Pros

Notepad++ est extrêmement simple à utiliser. L'une des caractéristiques les plus remarquables de notepad++ est sa capacité à stocker du texte écrit sans l'enregistrer. Beaucoup d'options de style de texte sont également disponibles. Très utile pour écrire et modifier du code comprenant des fonctions et une syntaxe définies par l'utilisateur. L'option de recherche est excellente !

Cons

Le problème principal avec Notepad++ est l'impossibilité d'intégrer avec d'autres outils de partage comme Teams et Google Drive. Son design est trop ancien. À part cela, je n'ai pas d'autres problèmes particuliers avec notepad++.

Showing original review in French. See translation

Ernesto Enrique F.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

The fastest text editor I've ever tried

With notepad ++ I can edit portions of code very quickly thanks to how light and portable it is.

Pros

What I like about Notepad ++ is undoubtedly how fast and light it is. I have used it for more than 8 years and I still use it today because it is the lightest application that exists and I have tried to edit portions of code in my documents. It is open source, so it is free to use and has many options to customize the appearance. In addition, it recognizes practically all the programming languages that exist, which makes it the best option to complement the development environment of my computer.

Cons

The only thing I do not like, even though I've used it for many years, is that it still has the same user interface. I would like to see a new interface, more friendly and modern.

Music, 501-1,000 employees

The best upgrade from Windows's native Notepad on the market

Overall, I have found Notepad++ to be an excellent piece of software – it has totally replaced my need to use Windows Notepad to quickly edit scripts and config files, and it is incredibly easy to use. We have now adopted this as the ICT department’s text and code editor of choice due to its features and ease-of-use. It has become part of our daily toolkit and we wouldn’t think twice about moving to another program.

Pros

Notepad++ is a brilliant text and code editor that is compatible with many coding languages right out of the box. It is a free tool that is published under the GPL licence for free use, and is available in both x32 and x64 download packages for Windows. It is a lightweight piece of software that starts up very quickly, and updates are provided frequently to fix bugs and improve performance. There are...

Cons

During my time using Notepad++ I have run into very few cons for the software. The biggest drawback is probably the lack of paid support subscriptions; there is only online support available through the Notepad++ website, although I haven’t required any support yet as the software is so easy to use. Occasionally the ‘check for updates’ tool will pop up to notify of a new version which can be somewhat annoying, but this can be disabled in settings if required.

pa

peter a.

Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees

Best Times With NotePad As a developer

Notepad++ has given me a good experience when it comes to finding where an error is in a code. I can say with this too i have developed my hawk eye of spotting bugs.

Pros

Notepad++ is very easy and simple to use. It menu is simple and the tools available makes programming enjoying. I love it ability to identify a line of code where there is an error , when you try to compile what you have coded. It is light on the machine, it does not consume cpu or memory making it ease to code and play music or movie at same time.

Cons

I have not yet seen a feature that stores previous code and compares to current code , so that you can easily spot out what lines where changed or added. I think it will be a good feature to have

RN

Ram N.

Financial Services, 201-500 employees

Notepad++ is light, and improves productivity for anyone who use it.

Pros

I like the wide plugins available that I use within Notepad++. Notepad++ is light in memory usage, easy to use, and offers a good user experience.

Cons

Notepad++ could improve on the keyboard shortcuts. Some of the shortcuts are difficult to remember and not like other tools. Notepad++ could improve performance when loading big text files that are several MB. It can be fast just like EmEditor when it comes to using big-sized files for editing.

GP

Graham P.

Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 employees

Great source code editor

Overall, I really like using Notepad++ as my web site editing software. It would be really cool if, for web developers, they could create the preview window that Dreamweaver has, but like I said, I don't really use that feature for the coding I am doing. I like its visual color coding of certain source code tags.

Pros

I had previously used Dreamweaver for my source code editing tool. Although it doesn't have the visual layout that Dreamweaver does, I was mostly looking at the source code anyways. Notepad++ did have the visual color coding I was looking for that DreamWeaver had so that I could quickly and easily see sections of code. That is the feature I like most about it.

Cons

A feature I don't like, may surprise some, but when I have various tabs open in Notepad++ and close the program, when I open up the program the next time, the tabs all come back, I would much rather see a blank tab and start with a file I want to see instead of the old ones that were open from the last session. I could see how having the old tabs would be a nice feature as a safety net from losing work though.

Gaurav K.

Computer Software, 10,001+ employees

Notepad++ is the best file editing software

It's a amazing experience working on notepad++. We can easily select one set of columns out of half a millions rows. We can easily insert some words in the start or end of each rows or to the number of rows we want.It makes my life simple. Like in notepad if you copy the data rows and column alignment was missing , but with notepad++ it great to see the output and can easily see what is in what colum...alignment is one of the best feature i love about this product

Pros

with notepad++ we can see data in rows column without actual column line and we can easily see what is in what column. We can select few column data as well and if we want to put something in front of every row or at the end, we can easily do that

Cons

It's keyboard shortcuts is something we need to learn before started working on notepad++, but once you gets comfortable with the shorucut, you will love this product. But these shoutcuts should be embedded in the software like in help menu there should be one page of shortcuts

CJ

Caleb J.

Information Technology and Services, 501-1,000 employees

Notepad++ - a powerful text editor

It has been a superb experience ever since I discovered and began using this nifty software....will loving the experience.

Pros

Notepad++ is a free alternative to many paid code editors on the market, but what makes the difference is the fact that is is packed with features you find on many paid versions. It has support for approximately 27 different programming languages, supports syntax highlighting and folding, searches regular expressions, synchronized edits and views and many many more. Another solid feature is the option...

Cons

There's nothing we tried that we didn't like.

el

eric lionel z.

Civil Engineering, 1-10 employees

best tool for mastering the writing of html and other codes

I like and can't do without this software in all my machines because it brings me a lot and is very useful for my understanding of some languages

Pros

thanks to this software I learn and understand better the writing or the coding in html also this software holds several other language what makes it very interesting for the beginner and apprentice that I was before

Cons

I find it a pity that there are no predefined codes within the software for each type of project. Whether in html, java or any other language there should be predefined codes allowing the user to have an idea of what the language in which they are produced

Mohammad Iqbal K.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Notepad++ - Remix of notepad for programmers

I am happy to have it as a replacement of classic notepad for writing and editing the codes for many programming languages.

Pros

It is a free editor compatible to support many programming languages with good set of basic features. It is available to download in x86 and x64 versions to install on windows. It is a good replacement of notepad. The portable editions makes it more useful to carry it on portable storage devices and use anywhere without requiring to install.

Cons

The features are limited to the basic in category but being a free editor it is ok. The user interface of the application is like very old software. It is not available for any operating system other than windows.

TP

Thomas P.

Computer Software, self-employed

Fantastic free option

It’s been a lifesaver on more than one occasion for my work. Great features, just works consistently all the time, and you can’t argue with the free price tag.

Pros

This free platform is so good that I’m not even tempted to look at paid alternatives. I use it for KML manipulation and editing as well as reviewing g log files, sometimes several GB in size on which many other apps would just choke and freeze up. I like the find/replace functionality and have also been able to use those functions to create long/complex SQL statements based on Excel files. The ability to alter text file encoding has also come in handy more than once. Finally, I love that it’s fairly easy to record macros much like you can in Excel. That has been useful in being able to format certain kinds of log files into a more readable layout.

Cons

I have very few complaints about Notepad++, but one thing that wouldn’t have been very nice is if i could have shared some of my recorded macros with other people more easily. I found a way to do it, but unfortunately doing so also wipes out any existing macros of the other user, so it is not ideal.

Hospitality, 51-200 employees

Web Development

If you are a web developer, notepad++ is a very big leap forward. its integrated enhancements for web developing is a great help. eg. 1.) collapsing tags like <divs> 2.) indentation tracking 3.) colors of texts

Pros

Its easier to use with more features if you started with the very basic notepad you will see the huge change when writing code, simple yet advanced but effective.

Cons

Having multiple open tabs can be annoying. If there is a way to group them, I dont really know. Navigation of the file folder I am working on can be better.

Fábio S.

Computer & Network Security, 501-1,000 employees

Notepad++ as a notetaking app

I manly use Notepad++ as a note taking app, instead for a means to develop source code. With this in mind, Notepad++ is best for keeping the history of new notes.

Pros

Notepad++ is a lightweight program for developing source code of the most different languages. The best feature is that it keeps temporary files for every newly created tab, meaning you don't need to save your work before closing it. This is especially useful for note taking, since it will keep the history of what was recorded

Cons

It does not work on Unix based systems nor there is an alternate version of the same company.

AT

Anik T.

Computer & Network Security, 1,001-5,000 employees

The most common application for coding in Web Development is Notepad++

I used it for development of real estate based websites, map based custom plugins and lots of web application for my clients and It literally helps me every bit to get better experience in development.

Pros

I used it simplicity of user interface and very clean coding environment. It has zen coding option for HTML and CSS coding and which helps to code faster. Really a cool software for serving your purposing of web development.

Cons

It could be improved a lot and should add some additional facilities to make the coding experience better like adding more language libraries, adding necessary extensions and good customer support than ever.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

The Swiss-Army Knife of text editors

It's simply the best Windows-based code editor I've ever used, It's always open on my desktop at work, and I can't imagine getting through a day without it.

Pros

This free software text-editor is probably my most-used application outside of my usual IDEs and database managers like SSMS. It's always open and I'm constantly pasting code snippets into it while I'm refactoring, or simply writing quick prototypes in whatever language I happen to be using on a given day. Sometimes I need to write a quick Python script to pull a flat file from an FTP site, transform...

Cons

The software updates at least once a week, which can be annoying, but I also love that the devs are keeping it current!

TC

Thomas C.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

Great alternative for the MS notepad

It was great. Although when coding, I use Sublime Text, for system file edits, and basic text edits, I choose to stick with Notepad++ .

Pros

Very simple, light-weighted, no hefty useless features that eat up my CPU or RAM. One really cool thing is when you're editing files that require Admin privileges, it will automatically prompt you to restart Notepad++ using administrator rights, so you can edit without hassle of restarting by yourself manually.

Cons

The multi-cursor feature was poorly implemented. Comparing with VS Code or Sublime Text, the double-cursor feature was quite limited, and cannot do many advanced edits in multi-cursor mode.

Carlos Hugo Martin C.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Experience with Notepad++

The configuration files of the software that we handle are in your hand text files in different formats. Notepad ++ 's ability to be portable as well as customizable, allows us to manage the configuration files very easily. It also helps us to have a visibility of the log files on Windows servers.

Pros

It is an evolution to Windows Notepad that allows handling the content of a file in a fast and flexible way. It is also very useful for viewing the writing of a file online.

Cons

Compared to other text editors, its configuration and customization can be somewhat complicated. In addition, there is still work to be done on its usability.