Notepad++ Logo

Open-source and multilingual source code editing software

Notepad++ Reviews - Page 4

1,952 reviews

Mukeshkumar J.

Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees

Notepad++ is a powerful and highly customizable text editor that offers advanced features.

Overall, Notepad++ is a powerful and highly customizable text editor that offers advanced features for programmers. Its limited platform support and lack of collaboration features make it less suitable for team projects. However, its simplicity and lightweight design make it an excellent choice for personal use.

Pros

Notepad++ is very lightweight. It does not consume too many system resources. We can customize the interface according to preferences, such as color schemes and syntax highlighting. It supports a wide range of programming languages including C, C++, Java, HTML, XML, and more. Notepad++ offers advanced features like macros, regular expressions, and plug-ins that can be used to automate and extend its functionality.

Cons

Notepad++ is only available for Windows operating systems. It does not offer advanced collaboration features that can be useful in team projects. Some of its advanced features may have a steep learning curve for novice users.

Noureen P.

Staffing and Recruiting, 501-1,000 employees

Streamline Your Coding Workflow with Notepad++ .

features of Notepad++ include syntax highlighting for a wide range of programming languages, multi-tabbed interface, search and replace with regular expressions, auto-completion, and macro recording and playback. Additionally, it has a plugin architecture that allows users to extend its functionality with plugins for tasks such as code folding, FTP integration, and more.

Pros

Versatile: Notepad++ can handle a wide range of file types, including programming languages, HTML, and XML.Lightweight: Notepad++ is a lightweight application that does not consume many resources, making it run smoothly even on older hardware.Customizable: Notepad++ offers a range of customization options, including syntax highlighting, code folding, and user-defined shortcuts, which can help you personalize...

Cons

Notepad++ is primarily a single-user text editor and does not have built-in collaboration features like those found in more advanced editors or integrated development environments (IDEs).and also Notepad++ does not have built-in debugging tools, which may make it less suitable for complex programming tasks.

Abdul Wahab K.

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

Good Lighter Code Editor

My overall experience of using Notepad++ was very good on windows. I am using it often to review or edit the HTML, CSS, JS, PHP and other files.

Pros

It is simple in interface and easy to use. It is lighter in comparison to all featured code editors. It is free. Downloadable for Windows in 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Even a portable edition is available to make it more handy and preferable for writing, editing and reviewing the codes.

Cons

Being a free, it doesn't deserve any argument to be raised on its limited functionality and limited support to programming languages. It is good in what it is designed for. However, it lacks availability for other operating systems.

SM

Stephen M.

Printing, 201-500 employees

I use Notepad++ all the time

Notepad++ is a very useful tool. It is very easy to use but it has very powerful features when needed

Pros

I use Notepad++ all the time as my primary text editor. I also use it to reformat text cut from other applications - whether the very powerful find & replace or column editing. The language sensitive formatting is very useful and there are so many plugins. When I first started using XML, I downloaded an XML formatter/prettyprinter. Then again for JSON and Gedcom, etc. I also like that I do not have to explicitly save a file and I always have lots of temporary files. Whenever I want to submit text to a web site, such as a bug report, I first write it in Notepad++, so that I have a copy.

Cons

Notepad++ does not handle right-to-left languages correctly, such as Arabic or Hebrew. This is a common problem with many text editors but Notepad++ is worse than most of them. When I am writing text for a website, I would like to be able to paste in bitmaps

Notepad++ Review

I mostly use Notepad++ for making notes for myself and also editing files or codes. As it has a simple UI, it makes me concentrate more while finding bugs. It also includes Regex support, which makes text manipulation simple. I use Notepad++ frequently (nearly every day), and it has helped me accomplish many tasks that would normally take hours to perform manually.

Pros

The thing that I liked most about Notepad++ are as follows, - Many programming, scripting, and markup languages are supported - When a file is saved in a specific file format, the code syntax is highlighted, making it simple to edit - Its a Open source software which makes it more flexible - It allows users to work on numerous files at the same time in a single window - It features information autosave, so there is no need to manually save the file

Cons

The thing that I liked the least about Notepad++ are as follows, - The user interface appears to be basic and out of date. Because it is not a full-fledged IDE, it does not provide code auto completion or formatting - There is also no fully support for dark-mode - There are certain issues while comparing multiple files - It is only available for Windows and has restricted features and functionality

Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees

This is a very useful too that has lot of variety useful small features

Its a small but great powerful tool. I am very happy about it.

Pros

1. It can be used for taking notes 2. Many files can be opened in different tabs. No need to open multiple notepad applications for each file. 3. If you modify file outside of Notepad++ and if it is open in Notepad++ then it asks you whether to reload the file or not. 4. You can link interpreters to execute your code like Pytohn, Perl or many others. 5. It has a language pack. 6. It has font for most programming languages that are useful for colorcoding. 7. Statndar encoding types are available too. 8. Macros and plugins are useful too. My favorite is Compare File plugin. 9. Search is amazing and it can be done through so many files along with regex.

Cons

Each time a release comes in, (once a quarter) then it automatically prompts user with a message box to asking to update application or not. It can get annoying if you have Notepad++ installed on multiple machines and if each one starts asking you as you log in.

HS

Harshad S.

Information Technology and Services, 1,001-5,000 employees

Best light weight text editor for windows system

Overall experience is very good because it is a free software which provides us multiple functions inside a simple text editor which helps us in our day to day. Notepad ++ can work more on their UI interfaces and should allow some common applications integration like git.

Pros

1. It is a very light weight application which takes very less space and is an easy to use text editor. 2. I has various useful functionalities like: - Find and Replace: Allow us to search from all open files and highlight the text in the files. - It supports autosave functionality which saves all your open files even if you have not saved it. - It supports multiple programming languages and highlighted the syntax also with suggestions which can replace your heavy weight IDE. - It supports various file encoding, macros and formatting like xml or json or any programming language specific.

Cons

The UI interface is very old and doesn’t support many themes. Doesn’t work properly with large size data. It doesn’t integrate with other third party applications like git integration.

WM

William M.

Insurance, 1,001-5,000 employees

Excellent resource for developers

I love it! Especially when building mass scripts, this tool saves me hours of effort. I used to write a program to build scripts because I didn't know of anything that would work like the Column editor in a free form notepad editor. It's a real time saver.

Pros

You often find as a developer that you need to take large amounts of data and reformat it to fit a specific function like creating scripts. Notepad++ has many features that are unlike any other editor I've found. Specifically, Column Editor (insert into all rows at a specific column), Bookmarking records and the ability to delete bookmarked or non-bookmarked records, and the ability to use Extended characters (like \n, \r, \t, etc) and Regular expressions in the search and replace features.

Cons

There is not much to complain about with this software. If anything, there are so many features that, when I first started using it, I would have trouble finding some of the useful features because they were named similarly or just lost in the vast number of features. I've been using it for so long now that all of the features I use are easy to find and use.

ES

Evan S.

Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees

Simply the best tool for viewing columnar big data or code exports

In short, it is a perfectly adapted tool for its mission of providing an easy-to-use, lightweight rich text editor.

Pros

This is an amazing and intuitive free software. It is far superior to Microsoft Notepad for every use case I have had--most often inspecting and modifying code or opening large data files. I once had a coworker with an unfailing commitment to using an alternative, Vim, and cannot for the life of me figure out why. Notepad++ provides the user a minimal set of controls that are common across many other popular applications. There are also many useful plug-ins--my most often used is the Compare module for checking differences in code when a teammate provides inadequate check-in notes.

Cons

I have no issues with the features that are currently part of this application. The plug-ins could be better cataloged to state their purpose, perhaps even a 'Smart Notepad++' could suggest plug-ins that would help with what you are doing, but this would be going above and beyond.

MC

Matthew C.

Biotechnology, 201-500 employees

Great application development support tool

My daily use is a scratchpad - at which it excels! I also use it as a refactoring tool when working with XML/CSS/XSL or SQL.

Pros

It keeps my documents saved even when when I don't save them. I can create a new document, add some notes, some code, and documentation and when I close Notepad++ I don't lose all my work. Equally as much, I like the simple macro scripting capability. This makes is easy to refactor information to my specific needs quickly and easily.

Cons

The plugins are not always the best, though that's not Notepad++'s fault. I don't have any issues at all with Notepad++.

Michael G.

Computer Games, self-employed

One Stop Shop for simple text editing

Once I learned about this, it became my go-to austere text editing program for those times when I just want something simple without being drowned in features. The features are no more than *knee* deep, and they're useful. I use it to edit and write quick JavaScript, php, html, config files, and occasionally C# -- it can parse and color code all of them. I also use it to write random notes to myself....

Pros

-Great for quick glances and editing of almost anything -- can handle several dozen types of formatting such as plain text, various kinds of code, xml, or JSON -Can install plugins for some versioning features like Diff -Color codes that conform to your chosen file format -Good for tab junkies and people who use it for random notes -Will remember your sloppily unsaved, unnamed files when reopened...sometimes

Cons

-Jack of all trades, master of none (but that's okay) -Windows only

WE

Wisani E M.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Developers Toolkit to have

Thus far I'm not even trying to check to other alternative products for this because I'm 100% satisfied with this product. My experience with Notepad++ is always ever positive above it cost nothing to use.

Pros

As the name state (Notepad Plus Plu)s meaning is as twice powerful more than Microsoft Notepad that we started web development using this app when I learn about this Notepad++ I saw it very workable especial when I'm coding HTML and PHP . The colouring effect make it even more enjoyable. Remember the program is very light, it can work in any PC . The best of the best feature will be auto completion which reduces typing errors.

Cons

To say the least I have nothing I like a least about it. Nonetheless I would like to see notepad ++ to add novice developers features like WYSIWYG code preview .

Kyle S.

Oil & Energy, 11-50 employees

A good mid-point between notepad and visual studio.

I like it. I use it at least once a week. It has made spotting problems in my markup easier, and is faster to load than visual studio - it just opens and is ready to go.

Pros

It's free, it's simple, it works. It can highlight segments like VS does, but feels like a simple notepad application - unlike VScode.

Cons

The search functionality. I have to clean up a lot of markup (XML / HTML / PHP), and the find functionality is a little weird, ad could be easier to use.

Nikolaos Z.

Market Research, 5,001-10,000 employees

Best text editor for Data manipulation and coding

Overall, the experience with notepd++ is great. We use it across the whole company for data manipulation, input preparation and checking, opening and manipulate csv files and coding. I cannot find any other that helpful and with so many features text editor.

Pros

Notepad ++ is overall perfect. I use it every day for several things. One of them is coding. Its unique style makes it great to read several lines, edit or write. The compare feature that never lets you down is unique and useful especially when you look for an error that cannot catch by eye. Apart from coding is perfect for data preparation. The option to "Edit with notepad ++"" enables you to edit or view csv files without opening them in excel and avoid make them lose their format. Many addins make the collaboration with many programming languages very fun, too. This is perfect!

Cons

User interface is somehow old-fashioned. There are so many options that are not very clear when you see them in the small icons toolbar. Less drop down menus and more clear icons I believe can make the use of notepad++ and navigation in it even more great.

Information Services, 501-1,000 employees

Daily Tasks Friend

I am an MES engineer in the field for fifteen years now and since I started my job, I have always been using Notepad++ and always relying on this sofware for all my notes and troubleshooting work. It also helps me dissect a code during troubleshooting so I can easily find the errors in the code. I work for a big pharmaceutical companies and fixing a coee bug is a critical matter. With the help of Notepad++, my troubleshooting becomes easier and faster which makes my customer happy as well.

Pros

The search function with filter and the plugins to remove whitespace are the two easy-to-use feature of Notepad++. Whenever I needed to review someone's code, bringing them into Notepad++ helps me navigate easier and it helps me filter the seach more faster.

Cons

Since Notepad++ saves all work automatically and although CTRL+Z can revert any changes, the proper "undo" function is still necessary so that the user can easily recover a lost work.

Airlines/Aviation, 51-200 employees

Probably the best text editor out there.

For storing crucial files and computer code, I used Notepad++ virtually every day. The GUI of the software is user-friendly and simple to use. The automatic saving of data without the need to explicitly save the file is a crucial feature. You can use '/n' and other special characters when using the replace option. I had to work with a lot of SQL, C language, and HTML files; syntax highlighting and support for other languages. I had it simple thanks to this tool. When utilizing SQL, it is a great IDE. In order to prevent compilation mistakes, it will explicitly display conditional formatting, loops, and other elements.

Pros

To start-off this software is very light, simple and configurable. It is one of the most popular choice among all the code editors out in the market. The best part is that it supports scripting languages, has a user friendly editor, supports multiple extensions. Code syntax are highlighted while the file is saved with specific file format which makes the editing very easy.

Cons

The most wanted feature in this software would be the integration feature, the integration with other apps would be a game changer. Also there is no comparison view which is also something to improve on. More improvements are needed in the code debugging while also users are not able to install advance packets.

Computer Software, self-employed

Used other for 2+ years

Simple, yet powerful

Notepad++ is a great stepping stone to allow you to progress into the wonderful world of syntax highlighted coding. It's feature rich, and free to boot. Definitely give this a go.

Pros

So here's the thing. When we all first start getting into web development, we we're likely all using notepad on a Windows PC. It's great to begin with, but when you want to take things up a notch, there's Notepad++ With it's syntax, brackets and block highlighting (as well as block collapse/expanding), there really are a lot more ++ reasons to adopt Notepad++ in it's place... With the support of multiple languages (along with syntax highlighting), and the ability to have multiple tabs for each document open, as well as document mapping foe each open file, making it a breeze to step up your development game. Notepad++ also allows you to save files with various encodings, and also offers a growing list of plugins offering many more features

Cons

While Notepad++ is definitely a huge step up from Notepad, editors such as Sublime Text do offer a stronger feature set. That be said though, Notepad++ is a powerful product and offered free of charge. I certainly would recommend it to anyone looking to begin learning to code...

Ansh R.

Useful Tool for My Development Task, Easily Change in Website Coding Part

Notepad is a great choice for a text editor. It's basic features are perfect for taking quick notes or working on small projects. The tabbed editing is extremely helpful when working with multiple files at once. i can write all website page code very fast and upload in to ftp file. In our organization lots of employee use this tool because it is light weight and easy handling. The product's name comes from the fact that it was originally just a simple notepad application - but it has since grown into so much more. Overall, I highly recommend this product.

Pros

Before notepad ++, I used dreamweaver and notepad simply for coding, but this tool was not effective and useful for me. Then my senior recommended notepad ++ to work fast and easy. For HTML website pages if i need to change in all pages then i can apply one command it apply to all web pages. I can change languages like php, Html, Css and other languages. notepad ++ takes very low storage space and everyone can download it in their computer system and work quickly.

Cons

The user interface is very good and has many customization options. No issue faced in Notepad++.

Heinz K.

Computer Software, self-employed

A Truely Universal Text Editor

Editing and formatting textual files like CSVs, free form txt files, JSONs, XMLs. etc.Searching and replacing patterns, also in advanced scenarios thanks to regex search/replace.Working with source files outside of the Visual Studio IDE.

Pros

Notepad++ features all functions that are needed for everyday work with text files, which include XML, JSON, HTML and alike. Formatting, color coding, search and replace features, even across multiple files are easy to use and offer many options. And whenever Notepad++ is missing a feature out of the box, there's lots of plugins available that enhance its functions even more.The entire user interface is available in lots of languages. Many features have intelligent details, like the auto reaload of files tha have been changed outside NP++ or automatic switching to a Windows admin account when needed.

Cons

There is nothing i'm missing from Notepad++. Well, it could be better in editing binary files, but naming this a "Con" could really be unfair.

Priyanka M.

Computer Software, 10,001+ employees

Notepad++ review

Okay okay. I will only use if i want to take notes or my task is very simple like writing a java file or something. But for complex task not useful.

Pros

Notepad ++ is better version of classic notepad. The ui is far better that that, whenever we write code number is displayed so it makes easier to read the code, debug the code by checking the line numbers. It highlights the start and end brackets making it easy.

Cons

It is better than classic notepad but it lags behind various new editors like vscode and many more. It does not support extension/integration like vscode . It is useful if we only want to take note of anything or else we have something to run locally. But still it lags behind lots of things.. as from developer perspective we require other tools as well simply using this tool will not work. Even new tools gives recommendations while writing code

EC

Ethan C.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

Used for all my web development

This software has been a wonderful and integral part of my development toolkit. It has a plethora of features included with the basic install. If you're missing a feature, there is a library of plugins available that probably has what you are looking for.

Pros

The FTP functionality allows me to save my files directly to the server for immediate testing. Lets you set up multiple ftp sites.

Cons

Had some speed issues with FTPS, but they seem to be resolved. Otherwise, I haven't found any major complaints with the software

Ch

Craig h.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 1-10 employees

Notepad++ the versatile editing all rounder

This is a great general purpose editor and viewer of text files, and has been my tool of choice for many years. Being free, there is no reason not to give it a try, it's certainly an upgrade on wordpad and has many great features.

Pros

This is a free code/text editor that I've used in windows. You can have multiple tabs of different files open, it will also let you know if a file you have been viewing has been updated outside the program. There are line numbers shown, the lines in the file can be sorted in a number of ways, you can colour code parts of the text . searching is good, find and replace or just find, can even search in files which is very useful. There are many more features that I've not used, but a good help system is available to clarify how to use it. Updates happen quite frequently which shows this is developing all the time

Cons

There are no major issues that I can see, I've used it for many years and is generally my go-to editor. It's not to be confused with programs like Microsoft Word that allow a wider range of formatting and graphic inclusions .

Houenagnon Jules Vitale H.

Computer Networking, 1-10 employees

Notepad++, super outil de coding

Pros

Après plusieurs années d'expérience utilisateur avec ce logiciel du coding en tant que développeur web, je le trouve sympa pour des raisons spéciales : non seulement, ce logiciel Notepad++ est léger (le pèse pas beaucoup de capacité), fluide, interface jolie et simple pour utilisation, mais aussi, il est gratuit et en plus de cela, il a tous les langages de programmation, ce qui me permet de développeur tous mes applications, logiciels et sites web là sans pensant à changer de logiciel d'une tâche à une autre. Si vous êtes programmeurs ou pensez le devenir, je vous le recommande vivement.

Cons

Je ne trouve pas de faiblesse à ce logiciel, mais le défaut de Notepad++ est qu'il ne suggère pas des balises ou fonctions et leurs logiques quand on clique sur la lettre de début, contrairement à Visual Studio code et autre qui le font.

Showing original review in French. See translation

AZ

Atir Z.

More than just making Notes

I am using it for more than 5 years in my career and it's a must have tool in my laptop.

Pros

What I like about this is I can make notes without formatting, or use it sometime to remove all the formatting. I always use Notepad++ to compose my emails, as it had language integration and spell checker and on top of that, I can format whatever the way I want in my composition. The other advantage of Note++ is there plugins to create JSON or to convert ASCII and case conversion are really helpful most of the time.

Cons

The UI is very simple, and sometime plugins are hard to install.

Banking, 5,001-10,000 employees

Best Text Editor

It's my default text editor. It's light weight and very easy to use. I can be extensible via extensions.

Pros

If you are windows user and need a text editor, the answer will be certain for sure. It's notepad++. It's very light-wight. It makes codes colorful according to your file type or selection on the menu. I can be extensible via extensions. when you start the app, it shows you last open files. You can keep safe your temp text.

Cons

Its search feature is not good. It can not understand which type of the code you write. I have to select type of code on the menu. It does not provide auto-complete feature by default.