Notepad++ Logo

Open-source and multilingual source code editing software

Notepad++ Reviews - Page 5

1,952 reviews

Siyamamkela M.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Notepad++ is a great tool for both novice and expert users

I use the software for website development. The Notepad++ is a very powerful tool as it remembers your stuff even if your computer has an unexpected shutdown. That is very powerful, save you from frustration.

Pros

The software doesn't consume a lot of space on your computer. It is very fast to launch. It is flexible as you could add plugins and can work with different programming languages on it.

Cons

It doesn't have have IntelliSense, or some autocompletion feature.

Information Technology and Services, 5,001-10,000 employees

Reviewing Notepad++ editor

The inbuilt keywords in Notepad++ makes code text editing faster and more intuitive. It is an advancement on the functionality of the conventional notepad. It highlights the syntax when writing code which makes programming easier to follow.

Pros

Notepad++ is free open source code editor. It makes for fast flowing work. The highlighting of syntax helps the programmer understand his code. It allows for use of extensions and add-ons.

Cons

Although Notepad++ is an improvement on conventional notepad, it is still not a full IDE. This limits it's capabilities somewhat. It can't seem to run multiple functions effectively.

George Rex A.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

A Clean Developer-Friendly Text Editor

It's been a wonderful journey with Notepad++. I have never regretted moving from the bare windows option and I'll continue to use it until I know otherwise.

Pros

Notepad++ gave me a reason to migrate from the conventional Microsoft notepad in every Windows system. I love the fact that it has file extension for so many programming languages, making it easy to adapt quickly and check syntax while developing.

Cons

It's user interface still feels 1990 to me. Amongst many things, I'd love to have a good-looking UI while I'm writing the most difficult of codes. So, it's the not-modern user interface that makes me frown at Notepad++.

DS

Dakshina Singh B.

Information Technology and Services, 1,001-5,000 employees

Review- Notepad++

Overall experience is the best, I give it a go always

Pros

The product is the easiest possible to use. The most useful feature of it is to compare data, check the files side-by-side and to format the data in many possible ways like JSON or XML. It is a great combination of functionalities. I would prefer it over any other product.

Cons

I find a few changes or enhancements that can be done. First one is to allow opening really big files as it hangs. Scrolling of two files side-by-side TOGETHER.

AS

Alihan S.

Notepad++ Review

Overall, Notepad++ is a great free text editor for coding. It has many features that make it a great choice for coding, such as syntax highlighting, auto-completion, code folding, macros, and more. It is lightweight and easy to use, and can be customized to suit your coding needs. It supports a variety of languages, and can be used to create and edit text files, HTML documents, programming code, and more. It is a great tool for both beginners and experienced coders alike.

Pros

Notepad++ is a good product. It is a free, open source code editor and text editor for Windows. It has a lot of great features, such as syntax highlighting, auto-completion, and macro recording. It also supports a wide variety of programming languages. It is a great choice for any programmer who wants a powerful, versatile and reliable code editor.

Cons

The main con of Notepad++ is that it is not as feature-rich as some of the other popular text editors on the market. Although it can be used to create and edit simple text documents, it does not have the same level of functionality as more advanced programs like Sublime Text, Atom, or Visual Studio Code. Additionally, Notepad++ is only available for Windows, so if you need a text editor that works on other platforms, you’ll have to look elsewhere.

NI

Nibaruta I.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

lightest n best html editor

Fast to deploy and install on almost every pc/laptop with no issue. helps in editing files quicker than many editors that are there in the market

Pros

If you know what you doing and require the lightest HTML/code editor notepad++ is N0 1. installs in just min, doesn't take space, and ready to go in a sec. been my favorite forever. It has updates on a regular basis and no bugs. Cheers

Cons

I would really say I don't see any cons. It does what it was meant to do, actually, I would say more. satisfied user

RK

Rahul K.

Information Technology and Services, 1,001-5,000 employees

A Powerful and Rich Featured Test Editor

Fantastic !!! Easy to download and install and very easy to use

Pros

The Plugins... They are just Wow Many are not aware that we can do a lot with the plugin manager eg. 1. There is a Compare plugin available which can compare your files and find out the differences. It comes very handy while comparing multiple huge and complex files to find out the differences in them. 2. JSON Editor - It's used for editing and formatting JSON Files, which comes extremely handy for developers\testers working on API building. and there are many more such plugins It supports most of the programming languages And mostly importantly all this comes in at free of cost

Cons

Frankly speaking I can't find any cons in Notepad++; I can call it as a life saver for an IT person dealing with huge and complex files. Just that, a lot of people don't know much about the features that it offers to its user. If these features could be made available somewhere as an option in the menu it would be great. such that even a layman can use them in case required.

Sakshi R.

Financial Services, 10,001+ employees

Notepad++ - Open source Text Editor

I am using notepad++ since 5 years. I did lot's of editing and coding using notepad++ during my college time. And now I am using it daily for editing my code, for comparing two files, for editing the Linux commands and many more. Many times I reboot my system and I forgot to save the data but Thanks to notepad++ that it saves my runtime data. A recommended application for everyone.

Pros

First of all it is an open source tool,can be use for several purposes like editing,texting,highlighting,validating a file and many more.Also notepad++ supports many programming languages so it can read/open .jsp,.XML,.yml,.htm files and many more. One more thing which I like the most is notepad++ automatically saves the content/data so if incase we close the application by mistake even though notepad++ reload the content for us, hence it is a ideal tool.

Cons

Sometimes when the file size is too large then it tooks time to open the file. And many times I am facing hanging and lagging of application,if it can be resolve than it will be great for users!!

Alejandro Y.

Retail, 10,001+ employees

Great software for opening big text files, multi tabbed documents and extensibles with plugins

Excellent software for opening text files or having temporary notes. For note taking and future reference use OneNote or Evernote.

Pros

-Support for plugins like format converter to html, rtf, etc -Support for big text files (normal notepad does not support them). -Regex and search support for current or all open documents. -Markdown for predefined languages like C#, Java, html and other, as well you can define your own markdown for example for Log4J. -Macro recording for automated tasks. -Function list for supported languages. -Basic program execution. -Support for temporary text to remain even when you close the application. -Edit your own shortcuts. -Select the line endings (EOL) for the documents for unix, windows and Macintosh files. -Result list with the document. Useful if you have a lot of open documents and need to find a text within them.

Cons

-Too many options can be overwhelming to new or basic users. For simpler tasks or one document at the time use Notepad2r or Notepad3.

MS

Muzaffarhusain S.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

All time great source code editor for software developers

I am a software developer and have been using Notepad++ for more than 10 years. It really helps to do coding especially when a developer needs help with some syntax.

Pros

It supports multiple programming languages. Also autocomplete and code highlight features are very useful for novice to experienced developers. It is really lightweight and very much faster. Best part is that it is free to use.

Cons

It is not available for all the operating system platforms.

Ralph B.

Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees

A Notepad You'll Actually Want to Use

My overall experience with Notepad++ has been very po

Pros

I love the look and feel of Notepad++ the most. When you switch over from the native Microsoft Notepad it is a world of difference.

Cons

It feels like it requests an update pretty frequently but that is a small nitpick.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

Its old school, but simple and I love it

I just love it. As I said whenever I have a small code file that needs to be opened, this is what comes to my mind. I do use other code editors, but this will always be my emergency code editor and emergency code, reader.

Pros

The simplicity of Notepad++ makes me want to use it more and more. it will always be the first thing that comes to my mind when I need to edit some code or open a code file for emergencies. I like the vertical selection feature and search in folders feature.

Cons

The main thing missing is integration with the latest frameworks and programming languages. To work according to the syntaxes of the latest languages, I think it is better to be integrated with them properly. I am not suggesting to make it more complicated by adding all the plugins like version controls, emulator connection, and all. Please keep the simplicity but please make this up to date.

RG

Robert G.

Construction, 5,001-10,000 employees

Hard to beat!

Is a fantastic substitute for basic text editors without having to install a bulky IDE. After adding a few plug-ins, there isn't much this can't do as a fully featured text editor. I'm sure there are other great options, but this has handled anything I've needed to do.

Pros

The flexibility and customizability is near-unbeatable. It has the options for formatting in pretty much any language you may use and stuff like whitespace markers, etc. To be honest there isn't much I don't like about this software - but those things are listed in the Cons. Highly recommended for a (fairly) lightweight editor that you can run portably from a flashdrive

Cons

It's a little spartan in the menus, but for technical resources this shouldn't be to big an issue - it can be overwhelming, though. Adding plugins isn't as streamlined as other offerings. Can be a little slow to open if you have many cached documents, but this can be turned off.

MD

Masoud D.

Retail, 1-10 employees

Notepad on steroids!

It certainly replaces other note taking applications easily. I wouldn't be able to carry on doing my daily tasks without relying on Notepad++.

Pros

This is what I call Notepad++, notepad on steroids! So powerful and so feature rich that you would compare every other note taking application with it! The syntax support for huge number of programming languages has made it a sidekick for every developer on Windows. I'm so attached to it that almost instantly install it after or while installing my main IDE! The support for tabs and the way it manages them is amazing. A unique feature of Notepad++ is the fact that you can close the application without saving your open files and it retains them. The frequency of updates makes sure that the application is secure and reliable.

Cons

I wish the default font was something different to make it look more modern. The UI of the application also needs a little bit of polish. It would be great if this application was available on Linux as well.

UB

Umair B.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

The best and Professional Code Editor

My overall experience with this professional code editor is really awesome. Because for me connecting of local Databases is really easy using this software. I have designed a number of websites for myself and for my clients using the Notepad++ code editor. For me, writing code is really easy in Notepad++. This software allows us to write the code in a very easy way, where we can also understand the code techniques. In short, I really love Notepad++.

Pros

Notepad++ is really a very lightweight software, which allows you to add and edit the code of your pages. You can build web pages from scratch to the advanced level using HTML, CSS, and PHP in Notepad++. There are different encoding options you can find in Notepad++, and you can even convert to ANSI, UTF-8, and more options. You can also easily find and replace the code in your pages. Different languages you can use like Python, C#, Ruby and more.

Cons

According to my point of view and experience, this software should be available in all Operating system platforms. All other things and features of Notepad++ are really incredible.

BD

Bed D.

Computer & Network Security, 1-10 employees

Light weight, fast and easier text/code editor

I alwasy use notepad++ on my dialy life. I have a team of programmers and everytime if I need to share some basic codes/programing logics with my team, I just open the Notepad++ write code and share on group. Although it is not the main programming tools on my group but also popular as popular like main programming tools. There is no doubt that Notepad++ is the best supporting tools for every programmers.

Pros

Everytime if I need to edit code then I prefer Notepad++ as my first choice because of it's size, and open within a second. If I open visual studio for every simple code then it takes my too much time. So in order to save and increase efficiency on my project I love to use Notepad++

Cons

Yes I accept Notepad++ is less user friendly then advance code editor like visual studio But it is ok for the open source software like Notepad++.

BK

Bishoy K.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

Boosting Productivity with Notepad++: A Comprehensive Review

Notepad++ is generally well-regarded by its users and is considered a powerful and user-friendly text editor.

Pros

Free and open-source: Notepad++ is a free and open-source text editor, making it accessible to a wide range of users.User-friendly interface: Notepad++ has a user-friendly interface that is easy to navigate, reducing the learning curve for new users.Customizable: Notepad++ allows users to customize the platform to meet their specific needs, including the option to add custom plugins and macros.Supports multiple programming languages: Notepad++ supports multiple programming languages, making it a versatile tool for developers.Lightweight and fast: Notepad++ is a lightweight application, which means it runs quickly and efficiently on most computers.

Cons

Limited features: While Notepad++ is a powerful text editor, it lacks some of the more advanced features offered by other text editors, such as project management and version control.Steep learning curve: Although the interface is user-friendly, there is still a steep learning curve for new users who need to get up to speed on all of the features and functionality of the platform.Limited collaboration...

Rob H.

Design, self-employed

Notepad++ just makes Notepad better

Notepad++ just gives me a simple and powerful way to take quick notes, examine code, and inspect the contents of files. It brings a lot of programming functionality into a simple, fast and light application.

Pros

I use Notepad a lot because of its simplicity and it's light weight on resources. Notepad++ takes what Notepad lacks and just makes it better. Every feature that Notepad has is better and Notepad++ adds a ton of extra capability for Searching, running Macros, Language, running Plugins, etc.

Cons

The only thing I can think of is, and it's not really a 'Con' is that I can't mix fonts. Like Notepad, it uses one font. But, it's not meant to be a word processor so I can't fault it for this.

Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees

Notepad replacement - advanced but simple

It has made traversing files and performing edits quick.

Pros

In need of a text editor that can do more than copy and paste. Notepad will highlight code structure, provides advanced find/replace functionality, multiple tabs and everything you could want in a text editor

Cons

There really is no cons to using Notepad++ over standard notepad.

Consumer Electronics, 5,001-10,000 employees

Good editor

In general and overall it is quite a normal editor tool for business and personal applications. Wider and commonly used in engineering industries for documenting and code editing. Opening and working in multiple tabs helps in multitasking of java codes.

Pros

It comes free with advanced note editors. Very much helpful for writing and editing codes with user defined functions and syntax. Used much for debugging and highlighting. The UI is much more convenient for processing documents and take larger excel scripts to simplified forms.

Cons

Doesn't have integration with other third party and Microsoft apps. There are no features to support advanced functions for editing and does not have automatic cloud storage. The application struggles most of the time to open a larger document file.

Program Development, self-employed

Editor di testo (e non solo) che consente di velocizzare il proprio lavoro.

Pros

I vari tipi di ricerca e spstotuzione sono tutti molto veloci e ottimamente implementati. Molto apprezzabile anche iil fatto di poter personalizzare l'interfaccia grafica, caratteristica che consente di aumentare la leggibilità del codice e quindi la produttività.Ottima anche la possibilità di poter selezionare il testo per colonne e non solo per righe (utile ad esempio quando si deve inserire all'inizio di tutte le righe una parola predeterminata.Molto utile ai fini della produttività anche la possibilità di utilizzare i plugin.Molto utile anche il fatto che si memorizza i files aperti anche quelli non esplicitamente salvati.

Cons

Non risulta molto immediata la modalità di splitting della finestra di editing

Showing original review in Italian. See translation

ML

Matias L.

Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees

This is my Nr 1 Tool on my daily work

I've been using notepad++ since I can remember, it is an amazing tool. I use it for scripting, modifying text, manipulating text, find hidden characters. it can be customized, is low-weight. I install it on every computer I use, the first thing to install is notepad++

Pros

The tool is amazing, I use it for scripting, taking notes, I have several plugins installed. I also use macros which for developing is great.

Cons

I think only one if only I can have a "Sticky" for most-used files.

DK

David K.

Medical Devices, 10,001+ employees

Notepad++ not just for serious developers; anyone who looks at files or rows of code will benefit

Our usage started out as an "open secret" in our IT community. People that used it convinced others to try it and they downloaded and tried it and told others etc. This worked right up until the company locked out individual downloads not on a approved list. But, were able to convince the powers that be to include this on the IT internal menu so anyone can use now. I was a bit skeptical but once I downloaded it and used it on my smaller files or code, it was a striking difference and it allowed me to find and correct bad data or coding. I don't remember anyone going back to Notepad one they got used to the new format and ample function list.

Pros

Whether using it for viewing files or code, it pops up a good-looking and usable format that is way better than Notepad for smaller files. There were also a frequent amount of updates to fix bugs and add features.

Cons

I really don't remember any downsides except it is not for really big files... handles more than Notepad but there is a limit, there are other tools for large files.

Stanley M.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Most advanced code editor for replacing notepad

With macro support and extensive support for multiple file type Notepad++ is the difacto for making simple code review and edit fast.

Pros

Syntax highlighting and speed of launch to getting code reviews started with least time possible.

Cons

lack of multi-platform support for mac and Linux making the witch when you migrate Operating Systems.

Ben S.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

One of the Best Text Editors

I have used Notepad++ to code in many languages for many years and I have never had a problem in its use. It is a vastly superior text editor for Windows machines.

Pros

I love the simplicity of Notepad++, its operations are very similar to any other basic text editor, but this does so much more. Its much better organized than default notepad and for software developing its a great tool since it can read many languages. Personally I have used Notepad++ to code in R, C++, Python, Assembly, C, VHDL, HTML, XML, CSS. Basically you name it, they have it. Its very nice to quickly open files in Notepad++ and have syntax highlighting right there for easier reading. Not every language has a good IDE and not every machine you read it on will have an IDE, so Notepad++ works exceptionally well there.

Cons

I think the biggest con of Notepad++is that there is no Linux support. Given the most common users of this program, I thought they would make a Linux version, but they do not. You will have to find an alternative elsewhere